Modern Warfare 3 Nutcase Threatens to Blow Up Best Buy

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Silly, if you blow up the place then the employees would be done work sooner.

I've actually had a similar thing happen when I worked at a bookstore. A lot of retail job puts you in close contact with potentially dangerous people.

The customer was looking for a book that our system said we had but could not find and he took it as we did not wish to help him so he asked us how we wanted to die. He said he was going to go home and get his shotgun. He would kill us but we got to decide the way.

I feel bad for Activision. That's all I can say with these news articles about Call of Duty. This month, we had someone paying over $1000 for the game on eBay, French criminals stealing a truck full of new copies, and recently we had a guy who was too imaptient to wait in line decides to steal from someone who paid for his and use a gun as a threat. Now we have this guy threatening employees over a screw up.

These people are making gamers looks bad. Not only that, they're making the series look bad as to say this is how people react when a new Call of Duty game is released. All I can do is shake my head with disappointment.

JasonBurnout16:

El Luck:

JasonBurnout16:
Oh god, here comes another video game rant.

You don't see stuff like this happening because of Assassin's Creed or Skyrim do you?

No, because they're not out yet.

Have 6,000 copies of Skyrim or Assassin's creed been stolen at Armed gun point?

Has this happened when previous Assassin's creed games have been released? Or when Oblivion was released, did someone threaten to storm a Bestbuy with weapons from middle earth?

This type of behaviour is only being brought forth from video games such as MW3.

I love the way the Escapist community is completely against the idea that violence, and bad behaviour is caused by video games.....

except for MW3, just as long as it gives people another petty excuse to whine about how they hate the game so much.

If this customer had been buying any other game, and did this it would have been the persons fault. But because it was MW3, it is MW3's fault. the logic is outstanding, isn't it.

Oh, come ON! Unless MW3 comes with free chocolate orgasms and solid gold MLP statues, it cannot be worth all of this!

The_root_of_all_evil:
Welcome to retail, guys.

For every 1,000 people you serve, there will be one that wants to destroy you.
For every 1,000,000 you serve, there will be one that tries.

Oh god! That means there will be one out to get me soon!

Seriously, you have no idea how angry customers in a supermarket get when you don't have what they want on stock.

Consumerism as an all-encompassing philosophy.

This does nothing to change my views on people who play CoD3 and Battlefield 3.

Now I don't condone what this guy did, but I can sympathize with how he felt after learning that preorder doesn't really mean preorder at Best Buy. I had that happen to me a long time ago and I was pretty steamed. Apparently your $5 doesn't get you a damn thing when you "preorder" a game there. It's just $5 off since you already paid it.

Dammit, man, we're in the throes of trying to say that games are an escape medium, that the on-screen violence has little to no impact on the actual world. Shit like this means we need a caveat: Games don't make you murder people, mental instability when you can't play games make you want to murder people.

Random berk:

God help you if you stay in retail long enough to serve 2 million.

Been there, got the Victim Support forms.

TimeLord:

Seriously, you have no idea how angry customers in a supermarket get when you don't have what they want on stock.

In the supermarket, the customers aren't as bad as someone who wants your shift/locker space.

And Christmas is coming....

This is gaming. Not religious fanaticism. I am beginning to notice more and more similarities between the two and it's scary

Umm...he was getting a free upgrade...

Dipshit.

Ah, well, I know most of them aren't like that.

Fox is going to be all over this.

The_root_of_all_evil:
In the supermarket, the customers aren't as bad as someone who wants your shift/locker space.

You'd be surprised.

And Christmas is coming....

Christmas is coming? You would have thought Christmas was here already! We had our decorations up before Halloween! BEFORE! *sobs*

ResonanceGames:
I've been to that Best Buy; I can very much relate to his general sentiment.

But in all seriousness, it looks like Fox is already putting some anti-video game spin on it:

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/11/09/nationwide-violence-greets-release-new-call-duty-video-game/

Whelp, this was going to happen sooner or later...

TimeLord:

Christmas is coming? You would have thought Christmas was here already! We had our decorations up before Halloween! BEFORE! *sobs*

We were selling Christmas crackers on August 3rd. Retail has done more damage to Christianity than thousands of years of Atheism.

JasonBurnout16:
This type of behaviour is only being brought forth from video games such as MW3.

No, this type of behavior is not being brought forth by the video game. It's a popular game that a lot of people want to play, but it's not the game's fault that people act like that. Call of Duty doesn't make people act like that, that guy already acted like that as you can read in the article. It's not Call of Duty's fault that a few of the people that want to play it are fucking nutjobs.

So thats...

Attempted Robbery
Choking a Child (over BlOps)
Threat against a Best Buy

We can toss in that crazo from Norway who "used" MW2 as a training

Hmm...

CoD > GTA on violence!

I don't even need to say anything about this one, do I? It really just speaks for itself.

Bancodplz.

What's the big deal, I curse spit & threaten Best Buy employees every time they sell my pre-order...which is every time I pre-order from Best Buy.
I didn't know it was illegal.

Wasn't Croyt from Colorado?

Idiots like this are going to be used as 'evidence' that games should be banned before they destroy society.
thanks a lot guys.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I would have lost it and hit the guy. Working in retail is stressful enough. Dealing with irate people who don't understand that I don't control everything is a very trying experience. Threatening my life and the lives of my co workers and friends...yeah, punch in the face. I'm not about to risk having that guy drive off and come back with a gun, not when he's already proven he's insane enough to actually do it.

Where is that damn official Escapist "Sign of a Bad Idea"?
OT: What type of idiot... I mean, if someone screwed up my preorder, yeah, I'd be pissed, but I wouldn't threaten to shoot anyone. The worst I would do is say "I'll take my business elsewhere next time", and only if the employee I was talking to was a douchebag.
The silliest things bring out the worst in people, don't they?

mjc0961:

JasonBurnout16:

No, this type of behavior is not being brought forth by the video game. It's a popular game that a lot of people want to play, but it's not the game's fault that people act like that. Call of Duty doesn't make people act like that, that guy already acted like that as you can read in the article. It's not Call of Duty's fault that a few of the people that want to play it are fucking nutjobs.

I respectfully disagree. I highly doubt you would find people kicking off in such a dramatic fashion about games such as Kirbys Epic Yarn.

The fact is COD attracts a lot of people and with this come older gamers. Many of these gamers cannot handle themselves in bad situations having grown up in bad ones themselves or whatever excuse is offered. Call of Duty did not make them act like that - nor did I say the game did personally - however by being marketeed to such a wide range of people you are bound to come across people who can not handle the game.

Call of Duty is the mega beast of video games and being the most popular game it is going to attract the most problemed people to it. The more people your game appeals to, the more problemed people you are going to attract grows.

Lastly the reason I stated that "This type of behaviour is only being brought forth from video games such as MW3" is simply because of their popularity. The more popular games are going to attract the most problems.

C95J:

I love the way the Escapist community is completely against the idea that violence, and bad behaviour is caused by video games.....

except for MW3, just as long as it gives people another petty excuse to whine about how they hate the game so much.

If this customer had been buying any other game, and did this it would have been the persons fault. But because it was MW3, it is MW3's fault. the logic is outstanding, isn't it.

I would like to say I have not "whined about how they hate this game so much". I am a fan of MW3 as I am with many FPS games. As for what else you say, I would like to direct you to to what I have said above, as I believe I have shown what I believe there.

Lastly I'm going to say these are MY views. If you don't agree with them fair enough and I am happy to hear your opinion, but I would ask you to refrain from generalising me as a MW3 hater.

Because obviously CoD is the sole reason for this happening.

It's not like it's just because it has a large fanbase, and statistically, there are bound to be criminals/loonies/whatever in that fanbase.

Nope! All CoD's fault.

Big deal, I deal with this type of crap weekly at my work. Suprised the police got involved though.

Its because of people like these that I am embarrassed to admit that I play Call of Duty. What a douche.

"CoD or death, and we are out of CoD"
"So my choices are 'or death?'

gigastar:
Why cant the CoD fanbase be like regular fanbases?

Because for every decent fan, there is two who would rather die than see their precious game go down under flames and another two who would kill over said flames. God bless the internet so we can vent all these emotions away.

And people wonder why the gaming community in general scoffs at the MW fanbase... Honestly, playing video games does not cause violence, TRYING to play a video game on the other hand... Well, it's been less then a day since the game was released and already we have at least 2 stories floating around about nutbags going crazy over the game... Seriously people? It's a damned game.

Sewer Rat:
And people wonder why the gaming community in general scoffs at the MW fanbase... Honestly, playing video games does not cause violence, TRYING to play a video game on the other hand... Well, it's been less then a day since the game was released and already we have at least 2 stories floating around about nutbags going crazy over the game... Seriously people? It's a damned game.

Three...

There was a hijacking of a truck carrying copies of the game

Jzcaesar:
'Sar, go to plan B'

I see the MW2 reference there...

OT: This guy is a certified NUTCASE! Where is the escapist "official bad idea" stamp when you need it?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.