2011 Spike Video Game Award Nominees Announced

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Fr]anc[is:
The process to select nominees is actually quite simple. It's a mixture of bribery and whatever they think will appeal to the insultingly stereotypical male that makes up their target audience.

Yes, thats why a Wii game, a PC heavy RPG and a chrome looking puzzle game with a female heroine are the Game of the Year contenders and Modern Warfare 3 and Battlefield 3 aren't.

/slaps Francis over the head for being stupid

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

For me, the other games don't do enough to stand away from each other. If articles are to be trusted, Skyward Sword is a revolution. It disappoints me that this category is saturated with sequels.

Rocksteady

To recognise the efforts with both Arkham Asylum andArkham City, as a unit they are very striking. Granted their effort only within the current year should be considered, but again the other studios haven't done anything major in my eyes.

Battlefield 3

The idea of a multiplayer shooter is to encourage teamwork, and whilst this was a tough choice between Gears of War 3 and this, for the fact that a team together will destroy the opposition.

Granted single player should be considered, but I personally believe this category belongs more in the online market.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Again, by virtue of elimination this stands alone.

Dragon Age II is professed to be a major slip up, with the 'bought' reviews finally being put blatantly in the sun, Dark Souls whilst excellent, is a carbon copy of its predecessor and The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim is yet to convert me to the Elder world.

Gears of War 3

This category can only be taken by an exclusive, and between this and Forza, for me this is the winner. Not a great victory, regardless of my own personal feelings towards the game.

Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception

Stamps all over the other games.

I can't comment on PC games, as I only download titbit wonders from Steam.

How it will actually go because it is Spike;

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Bethesda Game Studios
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Gears of War 3
Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception
Portal 2

Why do they nominate games for GOTY that have not been released yet, or that were released yesterday? Does this make sense to anyone?

Honestly Spike why do you even try anymore? This is STILL the biggest sham of an award show on television.
Oh wait, I forgot about the Grammys.

Irridium:
So, they nominate Dragon Age 2 for best RPG, but not Witcher 2?

And WWE All Stars for best fighting game, but not the newest BlazeBlue?

What the fuck is this, the Spike VGA's? Oh... it is. Well, that explains it.

....You do realize Witcher 2 got nominated for Best PC game right?

I....kinda think that would be a better award to win then 'best rpg'.

Soviet Heavy:

ShadowsofHope:
..How the fuck did Dragon Age 2 get into the Best RPG category for nominee's, yet Witcher 2 did not?! Witcher 2 should have easily gotten both spots, despite my like (though less than) for Dragon Age 2.

Also, I would add The Old Republic to that list as well, if there was an MMO spot (yes, I'm a beta tester, I actually have an informed opinion on the game - not a fanboy). But it's still just coming out of beta for final release, so I guess that disqualifies it.

I, however, would most definitely agree with Arkham City and Skyrim being up there, naturally.

Why should TOR be disqualified? Skyward Sword isn't out yet either.

Oh, not saying it should be disqualified (infact, quite the opposite). Just not seeing any MMORPG's on that list, nor any games that have yet to come out yet, though will by the end of this year. Didn't see it on the list on Spike's site either, though I may have missed it.

Is this a final nominee list, or?

Skyrim is much better than any of the other games nominated for GOTY (IMO) so I hope it wins.

Go (in order)....
Skyrim!
Valve!
MW3? I 'onno, all them games be kinda shit.
Skyrim!
Portal 2!
Erhm....Infamous 2? I 'onno, I dun have a ps3
And finally....
Minecraft....or portal 2!

There are my picks out of those categories!
If I get all these right, you all owe me 30$!

GOTY:
Either
* The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (Bethesda Softworks/Bethesda Game Studios)
* Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception (Sony Computer Entertainment/Naughty Dog)
Will get it.

Studio of the Year
Either
* Bethesda Game Studios
* Naughty Dog
will win it.

Best Shooter
* Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (Activision/Infinity Ward/Sledgehammer Games)
will win it. If it didn't, there would be fanboy rage on the stage.

Best RPG
Either
* Dark Souls (Namco Bandai/Fromsoftware)
* The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (Bethesda Softworks/Bethesda Game Studios)
Takes it.

Best PC Game
Probably
* Battlefield 3 (Electronic Arts/DICE)
Will take it, so as not to piss off the BF3 fanboys who will be upset at CoD winning the best shooter category.

However they might go for
* Minecraft (Mojang)
If they feel like they want some "indie cred"

-----
But honestly, I don't give a rats ass about the Spike VGAs. It was boring two years ago, It'll probably be boring this year.

And honestly, Deus Ex 3 is my personal GOTY, and no one will convince me otherwise. Nor should you. You probably have your own favourites to champion. So cheer for the game you like best, and I'll cheer for the one I like best.

Irridium:
So, they nominate Dragon Age 2 for best RPG, but not Witcher 2?

And WWE All Stars for best fighting game, but not the newest BlazeBlue?

What the fuck is this, the Spike VGA's? Oh... it is. Well, that explains it.

I have an Xbox 360 so I obviously never played The Witcher 2 but just looking at it I can tell that it is leagues better than Dragon Age 2...

Hard choice for best RPG between my three favorite games of the year (skyrim, Deus Ex, DA2).

ShadowsofHope:
..How the fuck did Dragon Age 2 get into the Best RPG category for nominee's, yet Witcher 2 did not?! Witcher 2 should have easily gotten both spots, despite my like (though less than) for Dragon Age 2.

Also, I would add The Old Republic to that list as well, if there was an MMO spot (yes, I'm a beta tester, I actually have an informed opinion on the game - not a fanboy). But it's still just coming out of beta for final release, so I guess that disqualifies it.

I, however, would most definitely agree with Arkham City and Skyrim being up there, naturally.

It didn't make the list because it doesn't come out until two weeks after the show airs is my guess.

My guesses aren't really guesses, as much as they are going by a certain formula that makes up every Spike VGA awards.

GOTY: Skyward Sword OR Arkham City. I would prefer Portal 2 to win out of those titles, but it won't.

Studio: Valve. Probably.

Best Shooter: MW3. If there is a Modern Warfare game that year, it will win.

Best RPG: Hopefully Human Revolution, but Skyrim might win out of peer pressure. I would like Dragon Age 2 to win out of those choices, though.

Best 360 game: GoW3, most likely.

PS3 game: Uncharted 3. That is just a given.

PC: This one is hard. Probably BF3, though.

I loathe the Spike VGA's, but...I have to admit I *love* watching the indignant gnashing of teeth from the Witcher 2 contingency.

asinann:

ShadowsofHope:

It didn't make the list because it doesn't come out until two weeks after the show airs is my guess.

Mh, that is likely the case. Unfortunate, really. If only it waited those last two weeks, my GOTY would be included (not necessarily win, but at least be included).. Ah well. :/

Game of the Year

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (Bethesda Softworks/Bethesda Game Studios)

Studio of the Year

Valve

Best Shooter

Battlefield 3 (Electronic Arts/DICE)

Best RPG

Dark Souls (Namco Bandai/Fromsoftware)

Best Xbox 360 Game

Batman: Arkham City (Warner Bros Interactive/Rocksteady Studios)

Best PlayStation 3 Game

Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception (Sony Computer Entertainment/Naughty Dog)

Best PC Game

Minecraft (Mojang)

My list based on the games given for each category. I don't agree with the Best Xbox 360 games, but the list was short.

Game of the year
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword or Batman:Arkham City

Studio of the year
Valve

Best shooter
Rage

Best RPG
Deus Ex Human Revolution

Best Xbox 360 game
Batman Arkham city

Best PS3 game
Infamous 2

Best PC game
Minecraft

That's what i would like to see winning this year's Spike VGA

I figured out that the Spike awards were bullshit when they gave a best actress award to Megan Fox (over Arleen Sorkin no less!) and a best character award to a side character in black ops.

Oh, hey look, I was right again! GOTY nominees are all overrated titles that were released rather recently (past month), except for one game which was decent from earlier in the year. And the majority of the awards would all be the same 6 games. That just proves these awards are all a joke.

Congrats to Sony for pushing out so many high quality games this year

wait...i loved DAII, but it beat out witcher 2 for best rpg?

y u sense no make?????!?!?!

otherwise some of it ain't too shabby..will be interesting to see the actual top picks though.

Does anyone take this garbage seriously? I watched a few times, it's just a flashy show with celebrities and has more to do with them than the actual games.

they need to up all their nomination counts to at least 5, not 4.

One more year of the VGAs, one more year of forums exploding with posts that can be summarized "WTF?!"

It's like Christmas caroling, only with the music replaced with screams of shock and confusion. So it's not like caroling at all.

Unless I let the demiwolves out while the carolers are outside.

What's this? No category for "Most Anticipated Game"? I will not stand for this! I for one call for a boycott of this program! WHO'S WITH ME?

Lordmarkus:
The Graphicspoll is probably the biggest joke I've seen this year.

- Batman: Arkham City
- L.A. Noire
- Rage
- Uncharted 3

Uncharted 3 certainly belongs here but in a year with Crysis 2, The Witcher 2 and Battlefield 3 you can't stop wonder what blind fuckwits make up the Spike panel.

Battlefield 3 isn't up there?

WTF?

They had the best graphics, better than Uncharted 3. It's just stunning when you look at the PC version on max.

My predictions:

-GOTY: Elder Scrolls, maybe Batman.
-Best Studio: Naughty Dog
-Best FPS: CoD:MW3, maybe Battlefield 3
-Best RPG: Elder Scrolls
-Best 360 game: GoW3
-Best PS3 game: Uncharted 3
-Best PC game: Minecraft

Now, I wouldn't like some of those games to win, but I'm thinking of those popular games that most people like/have heard of. There's a reason why most predictions concur so far.

I really wish they had better games to nominate because that's certainly not right. Where's AC: Revelations? Where's LA Noire?

Dang VGA! You're like one of the only shows that celebrates video games and you suck! *Siiiigh*

McMullen:
Why do they nominate games for GOTY that have not been released yet, or that were released yesterday? Does this make sense to anyone?

Well, they haven't been released to the public, but many game review sites and other news groups have gotten them beforehand so they can go off of the reaction they've been getting. Also, they're some of the most popular games out there, so it's kind of like a very obvious prediction of how their reception would be anyway.

How the fuck can they nominate a game that isn't even out yet?

KeyMaster45:
They really should just drop the pretense of an award show and just call it what it is. "The Spike Video Game Marketing and Washed up Celebrity Bonanza"

Nice nice, in truth i really do wish there was a true Video Game awards sort of like the Oscars were it would not only include the AAA titles but obscure titles for game of the year like Cave Story or even better yet for the RPG category how bout a non western style RPG like Atelier Totori, I don't even know why this or Xplays joke of a award show anger me anymore.

Edit: i really can't believe i use Totori instead of Disgaea 4 for Best RPG choice for non western style
also 5 bucks Tales of the Abyss or Tales of Graces F will not even get nominated next year by anyone and Mass Effect 3 auto wins.......

Ekit:
How the fuck can they nominate a game that isn't even out yet?

Xplay did it to with Zelda, its mainly because these award shows are jokes

Yeah because Skyrim and Skyward Sword have really had chance to prove themselves as game of the year material already. Glad to see my own personal game of the year, inFamous 2, get a nomination in the PS3 category, though it's doomed to lose to Uncharted 3.

Fr]anc[is:
The process to select nominees is actually quite simple. It's a mixture of bribery and whatever they think will appeal to the insultingly stereotypical male that makes up their target audience.

Pretty much this spot on.

If any of you watch this garbage marketing show I will glare at you disapprovingly. If you're only watching it for the reveals and trailers, I'll glare even harder because you've been tricked and manipulated into watching these

Nearly all of these nominees are from corporations with a track record for review manipulation and other backdoor antics, the rest are there to throw off any suspicion. I guarantee you that Skyrim will win GOTY from sheer popularity and the fact that Bethesda heavily sponsors these events.

Lets not forget the "joke" awards they do every year either, giving out awards to specific people because they can make a "funny" joke about it. "There is no middle finger big enough".

Would you people stop bitching? This list is FINE. And it's a HELL of a lot better than last year where they just gave everything to MW2. I'm just happy that neither of the Warfare shooters have a chance at GOTY.

Plus, they got rid of that IDIOTIC Mountain Dew category.

Though the show itself will still be stupid...

This list is.....surprisingly agreeable.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.