Questions Still Swirl Around EA's Origin Bans

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Questions Still Swirl Around EA's Origin Bans

Electronic Arts says it is working on "more equitable" rules but in the meantime it appears that a ban from its forums could still leave you locked out of your Origin games.

Back in March, you may recall, a sharp-tongued BioWare Social Network user earned a 72 hour ban from the service for lipping off, specifically by asking if the studio had "sold your souls to the EA devil?" It doesn't seem like anything to get overly worked up over, but that's life on the forums and wouldn't have been a big deal except that it also left him unable to activate the copy of Dragon Age 2 he'd purchased from the EA Store.

A BioWare community rep initially confirmed the situation, stating that an EA Community ban can affect access to games and DLC alike and further suggesting that people "consider it an added incentive to follow the rules," but BioWare Community Coordinator Chris Priestly later weighed in and said that the ban should have been restricted to the forums. "There was an error in the system that accidentally suspended a user's entire account," he explained. "Immediately upon learning of the glitch, EA restored the user's macro account and apologized for the inconvenience."

The discrepancy between the original response and Priestly's was never explained, but mistakes happen, all appeared well and that was that. Except that according to Rock, Paper, Shotgun, that wasn't it. The site reported earlier this week that it has received a number of reports from people who have been banned from EA forums for one reason or another and then found that they could no longer access Battlefield 3 or any other games tied to their EA accounts. Making things worse is the fact that many of the bans seem to have been given arbitrarily - one user reported being banned for linking to a site that offers advice on network troubleshooting that EA itself has previously linked to, while another was given a 72-hour ban that was later upgraded to a lifetime because he said "e-peen" in a post. So what's going on?

EA's response to RPS wasn't terribly informative. "With every game and service EA offers, we take the satisfaction of our customers very seriously. We discourage cheating and strive to maintain a high level of integrity in both our games and our forums. Therefore when someone violates our Terms of Service, we are forced to take actions that can include suspensions and other measures. We do not take those decisions lightly - however the integrity of our services and the satisfaction of our customers requires a clear set of rules," John Reseburg from EA Corporate Communications told the site.

"We have listened to our customers and are planning a policy update which will include more equitable rules on suspensions - we want to make sure the time fits the crime," he continued. "As with all technology updates, these changes take some time to implement. Meanwhile, we urge any user with a question about suspensions or our policies to please contact us at (866) 543-5435 so we can address their specific situation."

It's worth noting that nowhere in there did Reseburg say anything about forum bans and game bans being separate things. Despite what was said in March, in other words, nobody really knows - or at the very least, nobody is saying - whether a ban from the forums does or does not mean being cut off from your games as well. It's quite possible that EA's policy as it currently stands means that a forum ban is a lot more than just a forum ban; and given the capriciousness with which they're apparently being handed out, EA forum users might want to think about keeping a sock in it until this mess is cleared up once and for all.

Or. Give Origin the old "Piss-off" and buy physical copies of EA games. and, of course, those gamers w/o access to a local game store can always order a copy over the internet.

captcha: lpsedata cording

red the fister:
Or. Give Origin the old "Piss-off" and buy physical copies of EA games. and, of course, those gamers w/o access to a local game store can always order a copy over the internet.

Origin is required to play BF3 on PC, there's no way around it without pirating.

OT: Apparently the folks at Origin haven't ventured around Steam's forums recently. A pit of hate and whining, but they are separate from the actual games, as they should be. It's not like messages are popping up in the middle of Skyrim how your friend Steve things MP4s are overpowered in Red Orchestra.

Does anyone remember when buying a game meant ownership of that game? Where publishers couldn't take away your ability to play the game, where they couldn't dictate how many times you could install your game, where they didn't force you to be connected to their (short lived) server to play single player and where they didn't moan that you sold your property on to someone else? I hope this trend of games becoming a service by the publisher isn't here to stay but of course it is. Publishers wont give up this level of control, especially when consumers seem happy to accept it.

So EA customer service is either grossly inept or deliberately vindictive.

Not surprised the executives want things dealt with quietly.

Catalyst6:

red the fister:

Origin is required to play BF3 on PC, there's no way around it without pirating.

OT: Apparently the folks at Origin haven't ventured around Steam's forums recently. A pit of hate and whining, but they are separate from the actual games, as they should be. It's not like messages are popping up in the middle of Skyrim how your friend Steve things MP4s are overpowered in Red Orchestra.

And this is precisely what they're encouraging with these douche systems. How many times did spore get downloaded due to EA's DRM on that, and it wasn't even a good game.

No questions really. EA is a large group of rich douche bags who see fit to arbitrarily steal peoples money. I mean, I buy digital EA games from Amazon, so they can never deny me my game. I'll gladly download it and then crack the shit out of a game I purchased. I even register them to Origin, but I always make sure I have a way to access my games. That being said, it has regrettably landed me in a situation where I will never play BF3. I love BF games, they are about 1 Billion times better than CoD IMO, but that doesn't mean I'll take some form of abuse or theft in the future from EA to play it, not for $60. I mean, e-peen, what the fuck does that even mean?

So as far as networks go we're caught between the console tards (:P) on X-box live and PSN and the fascists on the PC?
This is why I prefer to play campaign mode.

This bullshit is only going to make customers steer clear of Origin and possibly EA altogether. Yay!

It's just a shame for Battlefield fans that EA has DICE under their thumb.

cookyy2k:
Does anyone remember when buying a game meant ownership of that game? Where publishers couldn't take away your ability to play the game, where they couldn't dictate how many times you could install your game, where they didn't force you to be connected to their (short lived) server to play single player and where they didn't moan that you sold your property on to someone else? I hope this trend of games becoming a service by the publisher isn't here to stay but of course it is. Publishers wont give up this level of control, especially when consumers seem happy to accept it.

Vaguely yes, and I miss it so.

Isn't what EA doing illegial? Seriously, we need a lawyer up in here.

So, I will be totally avoiding the Origin forums lol. My only hope is that they won't keep your games from you for having low-content posts lol.

cookyy2k:

Yeah, I remember it.

Then: "Hello customer, heres your game. Enjoy it." Customer: "Thank you publisher, I shall, heres your money." *goes home and playes*

Now: "Hello customer. Heres your game. Just dont try any shady shit. You are being watched. Motherfucker. By the way, we cut out half the game so you have to give us another 60 bucks too get it. Thanks. WAIT, WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY? Fuck that, give back the game. No, you are not getting your money back. Yes, we are still going to watch you. Motherfucker."

irronically ive had nothing but good experiences with EA customer service.. made a complaint about a piece of missing sims3 furniture promised in the expansion pack i bought which turned out wasnt available. 3 weeks later they gave me a copy of mirrors edge free of charge.. i like $20 compensation for a 20c dlc item :D

that said and on topic this is going way to far. a forum ban should be exactly that a ban on using the forums. if however a player gets caught cheating then i can see they MIGHT have an excuse to limit acces to that product.. ie banning their use of official servers.

im still not sure though about singlehandedly banning people from accessing ALL their EA products.

e-peen.. suggesting someone has an inflated ego, used in the context of the "electronic large pensi argument". you wacky kids and your net talk

Origin-not even once

I've never trusted EA when you buy something you should get to keep it.

Some quotes need a suitable picture to accompany them

"Consider it an added incentive to follow the rules"

"we want to make sure the time fits the crime"

Crime? Incentives? Whe the FUCK does this company think they are? They think they can take back peoples games THAT THEY PAID FOR without refund because it violates their arbitrary "rules" that seem to be little more than dictates that they are beyond criticism!

Catalyst6:

red the fister:

You mean all of those notifications that can be disabled with 5 seconds of going through settings?

Man, what an absolute crime!

Speakercone:

you think the Customer Service is inept? try talking to their tech support for Origin.

I had a problem with The Sims 3, I wanted to use the Create-A-World tool [which hasn't been patched to work with Steam yet] and use my store bought copy of Sims 3 Pets.

You can use the CD keys you get from buying The Sims from steam to re-download them from Origin.

Someone forgot to tell their tech support that.

I sat at my computer, yelling at it in hopes that the idiot on the other side of the chat could potentially hear me, for roughly forty minutes.

Eventually I just closed out the chat session and used my google-fu to find out that evidently uninstalling the game from Steam does not delete the HKEY data, which was stopping my install.

Sad that an independent forum has more knowledge about your system than your own paid tech support.

cookyy2k:

Quoted for truth. Now watch me use this as a jumping-off point for a ridiculous rant:

Y'see all you Conservative gamers out there? This is why corporations need MORE regulation. We don't need a "free" market, we need a chained up market where the CEO gets whipped and stepped on so he's made to behave like a good little boy. Corporations will always try to work around the system to cut corners, or install bad practices and policies that screw the customer base even if the company is making a perfectly decent profit before those changes are made. Therefore, every time that happens, we need to make a new law that forces them to undo those changes if the changes can't be reasonably defended. Actually, I'm of the belief that we should pass one blanket law giving the government unlimited power to veto any private business decision that the government deems "unfair" or "bad practice", at their discretion. This may sound like an infringement of people's rights, but corporations aren't people and anybody who tells you otherwise is a frickin' liar, and probably out to get you.

Belated:

cookyy2k:

Quoted for truth. Now watch me use this as a jumping-off point for a ridiculous rant:

Y'see all you Conservative gamers out there? This is why corporations need MORE regulation. We don't need a "free" market, we need a chained up market where the CEO gets whipped and stepped on so he's made to behave like a good little boy. Corporations will always try to work around the system to cut corners, or install bad practices and policies that screw the customer base even if the company is making a perfectly decent profit before those changes are made. Therefore, every time that happens, we need to make a new law that forces them to undo those changes if the changes can't be reasonably defended. Actually, I'm of the belief that we should pass one blanket law giving the government unlimited power to veto any private business decision that the government deems "unfair" or "bad practice", at their discretion. This may sound like an infringement of people's rights, but corporations aren't people and anybody who tells you otherwise is a frickin' liar, and probably out to get you.

Do you trust the government to make the right decisions though? Do you think that everyone in government will work for the benefit of the people?

The government doesn't need more power. They're already trying to screw us over with the power they have.

Speakercone:

Why not both? Someone can be inept and vindictive!

Also, easiest solution is just to give EA and Origin the finger. You can buy the game, sure, just use the hack to bypass Origin. If they ban/revoke your account with the game, then pirate the game and if possible avoid their servers altogether.

Though honestly, I'm all for just starving Origins in general, letting it flop about in its own filth before finally suffocating in it. Though... I think The Old Republic is attached to Origin, so... might not be too easy then.

Belated:
we need a chained up market where the CEO gets whipped and stepped on so he's made to behave like a good little boy.

I got the dungeon and the BDSM tools. You bring the CEO and I'll be happy to train him like a good puppy.

Maybe we should teach EA a lesson and STOP BUYING THEIR PRODUCTS.

Seriously, it's not that hard. Next time they produce something you WANT, remember that it is exactly that, something you want, not NEED. We can live without it.

Another good reason to NEVER BUY A EA GAME EVER. Seriously EA abuses its gamers, and leaves us with nothing, tries to screw us out of money, and generally hates us.

Does this sound fair to you?

If you break our forum rules, or make us even slightly irritated, We will lock you out of not only multiplayer, We will DISABLE YOUR GAMES, THAT YOU PAID FOR, SO YOU CAN NEVER PLAY THEM AGAIN, YOU HAVE TO MAKE A NEW ACCOUNT AND REBUY THE GAMES.

At least steam just bans you from vac servers, you can still play your games, and thats only if you hack, you don't get your account disabled for making Valve mad, they just ignore you.

This is what is wrong with gaming today, and I personally refuse to ever buy a EA game again, Unless its used.

;D

Burst6:

Belated:

cookyy2k:

Do you trust the government to make the right decisions though? Do you think that everyone in government will work for the benefit of the people?

The government doesn't need more power. They're already trying to screw us over with the power they have.

Well, yeah they're trying to screw us over, because there's still lots of Conservatives involved in it. And the loyalties of Conservative politicians lie with the highest bidder. But even so, I'd trust the public sector who's primary objective is service, over a private sector who's primary objective is profit. Just look at China's business. Their economy is like 30% bootlegs and 20% things filled with dangerous chemicals. Why? Because the government isn't cracking down on much of it. You may say that China's government is one of the most oppressive around, but that's towards its people, not towards its business. All governments need is more oppression towards business, and less towards people.

cookyy2k:

Ah yes, I remember those days.

For those who don't know, it was like this.

I went to the store. I bought the game. I installed the game. I played the game.

It was that simple. What's so different now?

I go to the store. I buy the game. I start up Steam (if needed). I input the CD code. Game connects to the internet to make sure I'm not a pirate even though I proved that when I bought the game. Game installs whatever service it needs to install(Steam, Origin, GFWL, ect.). Game updates. Start game (provided the servers are working). Get told to register the game. Finally get to the game menu. Play game.

Oh, and god help you if one of those things ends up not working.

red the fister:

Until Origin becomes mandatory for more than a couple games in all formats.

...Or you may simply want to think about not patronizing Origin (or, as I call it, stEAm).

Honestly, between this and Project Shakedown Ten Dollar and their misogynistic marketing stunts, EA dearly needs to have at least a couple of bad fiscal quarters.

Irridium:

cookyy2k:

I went to the store. I bought the game. I installed the game. I played the game.

I go to the store. I buy the game. I start up Steam. I input the CD code. Game connects to the internet to make sure I'm not a pirate even though I proved that when I bought the game. Game installs whatever service it needs to install(Steam, Origin, GFWL, ect.). Game updates. Start game (provided the servers are working). Get told to register the game. Finally get to the game menu. Play game.

I can top this. I have to go for awhile after this post though.

Buy game from gamestop + Guide that comes with a code.
Get home
Put CD in
Use CD code with steam
Installs core files
STEAM INSTALLS THE REST - 5 hours later.
Game is installed
Servers are to busy to activate the extra content that I got for pre ordering
Gotta wait 24 hours for the servers to be able to install my DLC
Finally install my DLC
Try to get my code from prima games
Prima tells me that they are out of codes and I must email their support team
Email
Wait 24 hours
Get new code
Get all my DLC installed.
Get all my extra content installed
Play game.

Yeah, I wasted like 3 days trying to get all the content that I pre ordered, however prima was really cool about it and gave me the code outright, despite how rude I was.

Burst6:
Do you think that everyone in government will work for the benefit of the people?

Can't speak for the guy you're quoting, but I KNOW nobody at EA is working for the benefit of the people, so if there are even a few in Government, it's still a step up.

Don't buy games from EA. They hate you and will screw you at every opportunity.

So the only people dumb enough to go with Origin are people who buy Madden every year and Battlefield 3 type people.

Well that's f#4ing huge, I think it'll manage to survive, just like Bank of America does. Masochistic idiots are a gigantic resource.

I don't understand. How can you buy a game and then be denied access to it due to an opinion expressed on an online forum that's not directly related to said purchase of said game?

That doesn't make any sense. The two are completely unrelated things. This feels like a direct violation of human rights.

No wander a growing number of people pirate games JUST to avoid this kind of treatment.

Your Local DJ:

Irridium:

cookyy2k:

I go to the store. I buy the game. I start up Steam. I input the CD code. Game connects to the internet to make sure I'm not a pirate even though I proved that when I bought the game. Game installs whatever service it needs to install(Steam, Origin, GFWL, ect.). Game updates. Start game (provided the servers are working). Get told to register the game. Finally get to the game menu. Play game.

I can top this. I have to go for awhile after this post though.

Buy game from gamestop + Guide that comes with a code.
Get home
Put CD in
Use CD code with steam
Installs core files
STEAM INSTALLS THE REST - 5 hours later.
Game is installed
Servers are to busy to activate the extra content that I got for pre ordering
Gotta wait 24 hours for the servers to be able to install my DLC
Finally install my DLC
Try to get my code from prima games
Prima tells me that they are out of codes and I must email their support team
Email
Wait 24 hours
Get new code
Get all my DLC installed.
Get all my extra content installed
Play game.

Yeah, I wasted like 3 days trying to get all the content that I pre ordered, however prima was really cool about it and gave me the code outright, despite how rude I was.

Here's my procedure when buying a new game:

Buy new game from Steam store
Let it download overnight
Click Play! the next morning.
Play game.

The only time I have issues is when the game engine itself is bollocks or there's third party bloatware involved. Steam games work fine every time and beat the following routine I have to use with hard copies:

Buy game
Rummage around for a day and a half looking for optical drive
give up, call friend, borrow his
spend two hours installing the game
Try to launch
find out it needs 9001 pointless patches
spend three hours patching the game
find out I need two seperate accounts
register those accounts
finally start the game
GFWL fails to sign in
FFFFUUUUU----
retry, get signed in
Play.
Game crashes ten minutes later.
Get annoyed and obtain a bugfix from Razor1911
Install that patch
Finally get to play it.

Haven't bought a game from EA in years. Anything I do buy is used. Suck it EA! Sorry devs but your publisher is all kinds of evil.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here