New Xbox Dashboard Coming Early December

New Xbox Dashboard Coming Early December

Xbox 360 users can look forward to better controls, app integration, and cloud saves beginning early next month.

Microsoft has announced that its newly retooled Xbox dashboard will be coming out of beta for public release on December 6th. The console's upgraded interface has been completely redesigned to match the company's "Metro" style, bringing Xbox Live one step closer to looking and operating like Microsoft's mobile and PC operating systems.

Aside from the new look, your 360 is also set to offer new software and services. New dashboard "apps" (because everything must now have "apps") will be introduced, including Bravo, HBO GO, Manga Entertainment, Syfy and more. Not all of the announced content services will be available on December 6th, however, but according to Director of Programming Major Nelson, more apps will be released "on an ongoing basis through the holiday months."

In order to browse the service's new apps, the redesigned dashboard will feature improved integration for the Kinect, including swipe and gesture based navigation as well as sharpened voice control. Using naught but the power of your spoken words, you'll be able to govern your machine nearly hands free (until you get to the actual gaming part, I suppose), including the ability to use a new Bing! search feature available for all who own the accessory. If you still haven't picked up the peripheral, don't worry, you'll be able to flip through apps and channels with your standard controller button-style.

As far as new features are concerned, Xbox Live Gold members will now have the free option of "cloud storage" for their game saves and profile, meaning all of that data will be backed up on Microsoft's remote server for easy access from any Xbox connected to the internet. With your profile and achievements on the cloud, the dashboard will also offer something being called "beacons," which will allow players to "like" games on Facebook and share achievements with the world.

It's hard to say whether this major design change will end up delighting or infuriating the XBL community, but at least there won't be much of a wait to find out. Based on Major Nelson's description, it seems like there's not much to be worried about anyway; all of the changes seem focused on ease of use and convenience, after all. The only thing I find questionable is this new "beacon" business. Personally, I can think of nothing better than attracting thousands of new friends by setting up my Xbox to automatically post every achievement I earn to my wall. Popularity, here I come!

Source: Eurogamer

Easier for kinect users = EVIL!!!

Sweet! that cloud storage sounds cool! I might be using that a lot.

cloud storage wooooooooo!

Yeah, the cloud storage backup is nice. I'll definitely make use of that, as long it's a backup and not a total replacement of storing everything locally as well.

My friend is part of the beta test, and I must say that I'm glad that they've moved to Metro (although the swirly loading circle is totally out of place). Metro is a really nice design and I love using it on Windows phone and I can't wait to use Windows 8 on a tablet PC as well. The Metro design really works well and I really like that they're integrating it all together (including having XBL on Windows Phone)

Is metro any good ? I have played with on a old laptop on a Win 8 Build and I hated it, it just made no sense on a laptop. (I couldn't figure out how to disable it.) I guess on the XBOX or a Phone it would make more sense, but I don't get why its mandatory on Windows 8!

Meanwhile, on xbox live in Europe....

You get to play games online. For 60 euros a year. Thats it. Not even dedicated fucking servers. And Microsoft keep on piling up the fancy features for the US.

Im disgusted with myself because I actually paid for this shit for two years.

TorchofThanatos:
Sweet! that cloud storage sounds cool! I might be using that a lot.

Agreed. I need to get a larger hard drive really soon and if I can back up everything to cloud storage, that should make transferring it all over to a shiny new Xbox a lot easier.

Ollybol8:
cloud storage wooooooooo!

My Xbox is never connected to the internet, so this update doesn't look like it is for me.

None of it sounds objectionable. But just, PLEASE fix the damned friends list!! I hate the system they have with the Avatars. It's completely useless! I only ever use the old blade style to see my friends. With the stupid Avatar system it takes forever to tell you who's actually in the bloody party! And you can't tell what game individual people are playing either. I hate it.

Why fix what isn't broken?

Adding features is fine, but do they really need to overhaul the dashboard?

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

You get to play games online. For 60 euros a year. Thats it. Not even dedicated fucking servers. And Microsoft keep on piling up the fancy features for the US.

Pretty much every fancy feature we don't have access to involves another paid subscription.
And doesn't Gears of War 3 have dedicated servers? In which case it's starting to happen, at least.

60 euros a year is harsh though. In the UK it's £40 a year, or €46. Although it seems when you let it almost run out you can renew for about £25. That was nice.

Also, woo, cloud saves!

The dashboard is fine to me and if they put us normal Xbox 360 users below Kinect users, I won't be very happy. Cloud Storage though? Sweet!

I want my blades back. It would be really nice if they at least gave you the option.

J03bot:

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

Pretty much every fancy feature we don't have access to involves another paid subscription.
And doesn't Gears of War 3 have dedicated servers? In which case it's starting to happen, at least.

60 euros a year is harsh though. In the UK it's £40 a year, or €46. Although it seems when you let it almost run out you can renew for about £25. That was nice.

Also, woo, cloud saves!

In Germany we get ripped off as usual when it comes to anything gaming, we pay more for consoles, more for subscriptions, more for games, more for PC hardware....

It doesnt really bother me since the average income over here is still a lot higher than in other countries, and for the most part everything else, no matter if its gaming related or not is expensive, but then when the guys over in the US get to watch fucking ESPN on their xbox along with so many other things, it pisses me off.

You know what we can do on xbox live? Play games, log in on facebook and twitter, and buy fucking music videos for 5 euros a piece.

I couldnt sign up for more if I wanted to.

Fuck it, not like I even own an xbox anymore. It used to be worth it but now that theres shit all exclusives coming out and virtually everything worth having has been ported to PC, theres just no single compelling reason to own a console anymore, for me at least.

Really looking forward to cloud saves. With two Xboxes in the house, it will make not annoying the wife much easier.

JokerboyJordan:

HOW?!?!?

Cool, now I can watch Game of Thrones Season 2 on there when it comes out.

Terminate421:

JokerboyJordan:

HOW?!?!?

Cool, now I can watch Game of Thrones Season 2 on there when it comes out.

/Sarcasm/

It sounds like pointless cosmetic changes so far except for the cloud storage for profiles.

I can't say I want anymore "content" I have to pay additional subs for or pay more for a rental than it costs to buy the movie anywhere else.

I mostly ignore the spam, like the bias on reviews and the advertising the games that paid for the add space.

I miss the days of having a Disc symbol and a memory card symbol. I own a 360 but at least sony don't ram crap down your throat quite as often.

The XBL communtiy... A fickle beast you are.

Microsoft, good luck. You shall need it in that den of velociraptors. Do not trust their eyes! They lie to you.

The Cloud Storage thing is the only thing that really stuck out to me, and the fact that it's accessible to basically most everyone with a 360 and is Free is probably one of the most generous, and one of the best things overall that's come for the 360.

I tip my hat to you, Microsoft. This sounds like something extremely convenient and helpful to us.

Seems legit. It really frustrates me when they announce all these "great new features" though because I'll only ever be able to access like 20% of them if I'm lucky, being in New Zealand.

Hurray. More pointless redesigns.

However, the Cloud sounds nice. This will severely cut down on my used memory.

How about this redesign: Let us choose the original layout that came with the system when it was first released! I happened to have been lucky enough to have stopped caring about my 360 when they did that last one with those stupid avatar/mii things (that were mandatory!), so at least I can say this one won't give me any reason to go back for a few more unwanted bells and whistles. I bought my 360 for a game console. And considering it couldn't even function as a passable DVD player (the first time I tried I was horrified by how ugly the picture was), I always liked to think of it as just a game console. Now Microsoft wants it to be like the rest of their insane-wave ideas for aesthetics over function with apps and the whole bang?

All I'm saying is that I'm sick of these motherf***ing apps in this motherf***ing Xbox.

The cloud feature is nice, though, since the gold members do pay a lot and get little else that is gaming related beyond online play. With the limited storage capacity on older 360s, this is a great deal, even if it's just for backups.

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

I sympathize with you guys. I regretted my last subscription after neglecting it for several months because I was sick of the annoying assholes ruining the games and didn't have the time, anyway. The least Microsoft could have done was left the old Blades menu and not foist those pesky avatars on you.

the updated Xbox.com profile is VERY nice since it's a lot more convenient that it was in the past
my friend already has the new update on his 360, altho he says it's a big slow there but I dunno for myself

can't say I've ever really cared too much for a lot of the additional Live features, but the Cloud storage concept is VERY attractive a feature that could really make gaming on a different 360 with one's own account far less of a headache

As I'm reading:...

Hmmm new dashboard, app style, yea yea all expected stuff. Looks like Windows Mobile OS not bad, fair enough, Kinect... meh, wait a mintue.. Cloud Storage?... ... Tell me more...

Yeeeaaaah, I don't use my Xbox much anymore. This has no affect on me. But congrats to those who still use xbox. *half-hearted cheer*

loch belthadd:
I want my blades back. It would be really nice if they at least gave you the option.

This. All fucking kinds of this. I raged the fuck out when I updated my 360, and suddenly I've got this shitty dashboard that I didn't even know existed (I never pay attention to anything involving gaming aside from games themselves). And when I tried to factory default it.....still no blades. They at least looked cool. And my backgrounds served a purpose. Now there are giant blocks of icons and a FUCKING GREY BAR COVERING HALF THE PICTURE! That's right! I hate that so much, it's in goddamn caps.

There is a reason why the PS3 hasn't changed its dashboard. Because it doesn't need to. As for the Cloud storage....why? I'm certain most people have harddrives for the console (And if not, Spend the same amount for a 120GB 360 harddrive and get an external 1TB).

RAAAGGGGEEE complete for the week.

But seriously...will we be allowed an option to change the dashboard to look even gayer than it is now?

When i clicked the link i was like ergh...

Read the thread...AWESOME!...

Microsoft...i know people don't say this often to you...but seriously, i love you guys xD

As a person who may or may not have said update, I have to say it's pretty good. There are many good ideas in it and although it's not perfect, it's certainly an improvement on the current dashboard.

Cloud storage? Oh hell yes! They really do care about us Gold users.

Give me free HBO and we'll talk.
>_>

Cloud Saves are nice though.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook