Spike Reveals Gameplay Video of BioWare's Next Game

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Spike Reveals Gameplay Video of BioWare's Next Game

A video teaser of BioWare's next game and some interesting analysis of what it might be have floated to the surface of the internet.

You've probably heard that BioWare is hard at work on a new game that will be unveiled at the 2011 Spike Video Game Awards, taking place on December 10. A single, not particularly informative screenshot was released with last week's announcement of the forthcoming announcement, but now we have something a whole lot meatier: a gameplay video clip.

Oh, who am I kidding? It's two seconds of gameplay buried inside a 24-second VGAs ad, hardly better than the image of some idiot sprinting down an invisible vertical wall. But here's something that is: speculation posted on NeoGAF [via Superannuation] that the new project is actually what used to be Mercs Inc., a planned third title in the Mercenaries series.

Here's the reasoning:

• Visceral Los Angeles is no more, apparently as evidenced by its absence from the list of studios on the Visceral careers page.
  • Visceral Los Angeles was formed from the remains of Pandemic Studios, which at one point was part of BioWare.
  • Visceral Los Angeles, and Pandemic before it, was working on Mercs Inc. before it became a Frostbite 2 game.
  • "Conceptually," Mercs Inc., as seen in this YouTube video, looked very similar to the brief flash of footage shown in this VGAs ad.

Will BioWare serve up some open-world military mayhem in its next game? This is the kind of speculation that I can really get behind: thoroughly researched by someone else. And although the video is admittedly a joke by any measure, at least this demonstrates that it's not necessarily entirely useless - which is more than you can say about the VGAs.

"From a new Bioware studio..." What's that supposed to mean?

I recall Bioware saying that they wanted to get out of making RPG's, so it wouldn't be too far off to speculate that their next game could be a modern military open world game of sorts.

Mercenaries might be coming back... Fuck to the Yeah!

If I ever needed a reason to love Bioware more than I already do, this would be it.

Scars Unseen:

This was explained to some extent during EA's press conference at this year's E3. They are branching out their sectors of gaming. Bioware in the process was given more resources and they were given control over some of the smaller development teams(which is where the new would come in from).

If this is really a sequel to the Mercenaries series, let's hope BioWare can make a better game than the god-awful Mercs 2. They haven't disappointed me yet, so heres hoping!!

I'll just say what I said when this first popped up on the forums:
"Finally, an actual reason to watch the Spike VGAs"

Scizophrenic Llama:

Scars Unseen:

This was explained to some extent during EA's press conference at this year's E3. They are branching out their sectors of gaming. Bioware in the process was given more resources and they were given control over some of the smaller development teams(which is where the new would come in from).

So if EA is the publisher, and some other development team is making the game, that makes Bioware what? Middle management? I am thrilled for their promotion. Really, I am.

On the plus side its a possible new Mercenaries game. On the downside, its a new Mercenaries game made by BIOWARE. Sure, it wont be the 'true' Bioware, instead being a studio taking the bioware name in order to make extra cash from its former reputation, but its still incompatible with their previous design statements and strengths.

On the plus side, it might mean we no longer have to listen to Fiona talk about her Skillz with a Zed.

Bioware - Daddy, can we make a different game this time, no more RPG's they are too hard
EA - Sure thing pal, why don't you be like your big brother DICE and make military games
Bioware - YAY! thanks daddy

Scars Unseen:

It means the Bioware that officially recognizes itself as part of the EA hivemind. Meaning one where it is no longer Bioware in anything but name. Bioware is still EAs golden boy but its just not the same bioware.

Now. *puts bar of soap in a tube sock* Anyone want to aid me in getting my Exterminatus stamp back from that dick cheese of an office thief james?

Eh, after Mercenaries 2... I'm not sure if I want another.

Suppose I'll wait until the actual footage comes out, because that two seconds were... lame. Tanks shooting trucks. Whoopie...

Mercenaries done by Bioware. What, do we need to have a moral choice about whether we should side with our target or not?

Bioware, making the next Mercenaries game? I want this to happen as much as possible, but until we get something more solid I'll just say, don't repeat the mistakes of Mercs 2.

inb4 inevitable Bioware hate/rage

hmm interesting...

I don't think that what I've seen really fits Bioware's style but those were only two seconds. So of course I'll wait until they show us more before I'll judge this.

Jesus. Next thing you know nintendo will make a GTA game.

It looks like Command and Conquer.

YAY!!!! another grey military game :D i haven't seen one of those in DAYS

Oh hey look, another generic modern gun toting military game.

... yay.

If it is Mercs Inc, then...well, I'm interested right then and there.

This does seem rather out of character for Bioware, but I don't really see any issue with that. A developer doesn't have to be pigeon-holed into making a single type of game, and seeing them branch out is good (especially with a new studio and all). Whether this'll be any good, well, we'll have to wait and see. But, hey, I, for one, am cautiously optimistic about this.

*sigh* Bioware...

Nobody wants another modern shooter. I don't care if everybody else is doing it - in fact, it's the fact that everybody else is doing it that's the problem! You can't just try out for the same position as everyone else on the team - even if you make it, you're up against a very long line of people who are better than you, have been doing it for longer, and want to keep their spots...

Bioware, the very reason we love you is because you're different. Accept that difference - make awesome RPGs, awesome stories! Don't just turn yourself into another cloned shooter-maker. If you do... well, we may have to split up. Just sayin'.

Crossing fingers for Star Wars Battlefront 3, but that looks unlikely...sigh...

Why are so many people making judgements already, speculation sure, but judgements?

Seriously, all that's known is that tanks are at some point involved in the game.

Judging from the camera angle it might be an RTS, but I'm laying no bets.

Wait a second...point of view shot from the sky?

Fingers crossed for a RTS.

It looked to me like Battlefield...Well, at least we still have Bethesda for our strong, single-player RPG needs. Still, I guess it's just a little too soon to abandon Bioware so I'll see what they've got cooking before I begin with the doom prophecies proper.

CardinalPiggles:
Bioware - Daddy, can we make a different game this time, no more RPG's they are too hard
EA - Sure thing pal, why don't you be like your big brother DICE and make military games
Bioware - YAY! thanks daddy

LOL! You my friend win 5 internets.

Regarding the OP...

First thought before I watched the video: EA is going to let Bioware introduce a new IP?! How can this be?!

First thought after I watched the video: Bioware is going to make a modern military game...that may very well be a re-establishment of the moderately successful Mercenaries franchise... Joy...

Vault101:

hmm interesting...

inb4? It was already kind of happening.

Shoggoth2588:
It looked to me like Battlefield...Well, at least we still have Bethesda for our strong, single-player RPG needs. Still, I guess it's just a little too soon to abandon Bioware so I'll see what they've got cooking before I begin with the doom prophecies proper.

You did see where it said a new Bioware studio, right? You do realize a single developer name can have separate studios? Bioware already has different branches.

I wouldn't be shocked if this one had guys from Pandemic and Visceral involved in it.

Frostbite3789:

Vault101:

hmm interesting...

inb4? It was already kind of happening.

looking above my coment...and below it..I stand by my statement :P (as in it wasnt that bad)

Frostbite3789:

Shoggoth2588:

You did see where it said a new Bioware studio, right? You do realize a single developer name can have separate studios? Bioware already has different branches.

I wouldn't be shocked if this one had guys from Pandemic and Visceral involved in it.

noooo

that would be too logical

this is the inernet DAMMIT! we thrive on speculation and judgemts based on nothing! (and rage, plenty of anger and rage)

Mercs Inc, you say?
I consider this a reason to celebrate. Although I'm not entirely convinced Bioware is the right studio to do it.

Paul Palumbo:
Mercs Inc, you say?
I consider this a reason to celebrate. Although I'm not entirely convinced Bioware is the right studio to do it.

Well, it is being made by a brand new Bioware studio, not any of the studios on the current Bioware roster that are responsible for things like Mass Effect or The Old Republic, and said studio is rumored to have some old Pandemic staff in it, so, in a way, Bioware might just be the perfect developer for the job.

So that means, we may now prepare for potential celebrations!

Being that guy. Another war game? That the big news?

I've kinda had speculations that this might actually be a sequel to Shattered Steel... the tanks look a little too advanced to be just your average day 21st century modern tank, and it's been 15 years since their first game...

However, I'm also intrigued by the possibility of it being a Mercs sequel. I'd watch the news for that, if it's the case.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here