South Korea's "Shutdown Law" Takes Effect

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Isn't this rather fascist? I mean restricting people's actual rights, to make them do their homework?

Wow. So much for the happy ol' farmers of South Korea.

Yes, this is going to be about as effective as banning fat people under the age of 16 from eating between Midnight and 6am.

i.e. it won't be, it'll just piss off fatties who occasionally want a midnight snack!

I love how inflexible this is, what about on holidays or weekend nights were you might want to game till 1 or 2pm. The result of this is you will now find a lot more teenagers up at 6am fragging and clicking.

Rarhnor:
Isn't this rather fascist? I mean restricting people's actual rights, to make them do their homework?

All the US states I've lived in have laws banning the sale of liquor in the early morning hours, e.g. 2am - 6am. Is that fascist?

Sure, alcohol and games are not the same, but they do have one important thing in common: some people get irresponsibly addicted to them.

Eh, that's too bad. I guess I get why they did it, but I don't think I agree with it.

isometry:

Rarhnor:

All the US states I've lived in have laws banning the sale of liquor in the early morning hours, e.g. 2am - 6am. Is that fascist?

Sure, alcohol and games are not the same, but they do have one important thing in common: some people get irresponsibly addicted to them.

True, but alcohol can pose an actual threat to the persons (and possibly other's) health. What South Korea is doing here, isn't really of humanitarian concern as it is of governmental interest.

But even then, it is the parents' responsibility to teach their children discipline, not the governments...

Freedom above all else just saying

Well, what's next? Will they start shutting off TV signals after Midnight since some kids might stay up all night watching television? Will they start banning kids from going to the cinema during exam time because that's when they are supposed to be studying?

Excessive MMO playing is a SYMPTOM of a problem, not the cause of a problem. I know I'm just repeating Extra Credits, but they were right when they said that people play MMOs to get away from problems - the problems don't stem from the MMOs themselves. Korean society, like Chinese and Japanese societies, are high-pressure, stressful societies. I would know - I grew up under that system. It's great for helping your kids to succeed academically and in keeping crime low, but the side effect is that... well, a lot of us who grew up with Asian Parents (or in my case, Asian parent) are a little bit.... warped. And that's putting it mildly. We are constantly told that we have to get a good job. We are constantly told that our behaviour must be perfect. We are constantly told that even the slightest mistake can ruin our chances at "a good life". Don't get me wrong: my mother loved me unconditionally, but she sure as hell manipulated her children into believing that she wouldn't love us if we failed at school or we failed to be "good citizens". When you grow up in a very rigid, very orderly society and family, with a TREMENDOUS pressure to succeed and act "normally" (i.e act in a way to impress the "all-important" neighbours and family relatives) you start to get a little.... off centre. You start seeking escapism.

Get rid of MMO's, and kids find something else to immerse themselves in. This law does nothing to address the underlying cultural problems which drive these kids to seek this sort of escapism.

Egh under 16...Midnight ...that's not a bad thing I suppose, I don't know how they're going to reinforce this though since gaming can still continue offline like the olden days of yore but... okay Korea, I'm on board, what's the game plan?

I could stand less mouthy teens on my games after hours.

Honestly?

This isn't a bad ruling.

Midnight to 6am should be free of gaming until you're old enough to handle the chronic sleep deprivation effects.

Kids need their sleep; and tbh, so do I. I just choose to flout it. ;)

I don't see this as a bad thing. People can suggest that it's the parents' duty to make sure their kids' go to bed, but it's clear to me that they aren't doing that. And, if the effects of excessive gaming are really having such a large impact on school grades, I don't see why this is such a bad idea.

So... what's to stop a kid from playing a game offline?

You here that?
That's the sound of an entire country's worth of servers breathing a sigh of relief.

Hevva:
The obvious way to attempt to dodge this law - by which I mean the teenager illegally hijacking a parent's identity to play - has already been taken up by 5% of teenage gamers, claims South Korean gaming site ThisIsGame.

Dam these kids foreign children using their crafty foreign logic to figure out obvious solutions to foreign problems.

no, i can see it being reasonable. it only affects kids who really shouldn't be playing at those hours, also the whole "i work at night and play games at 4 in the morning after my shift" argument is pretty much gone.

This is the kinda stuff that worries me more and more governments are finding ways to threaten human freedoms.Sorry but it is not the governments role to judge how children should be raised.

The governments of the world should focus more on runing a country then invading people's personal lives as this law is no way a new thing governments are more and more abusing the power they have been given by their people

Very split opinion on this. Going to rest on the concept that my social upbringing is SO different to these guys, that my opinion is rendered useless, and therefore I feel under no real pressure to argue it

can't say I'm for or against this, but I am all for parents...you know...parenting for once

in any country really

It sounds so extreme but you have to understand this is a massive problem in South Korea. Something had to be done.

Glad 1 I live in Australia.
2 I'm glad I am 17
3 WOW REALLY?

That is all you can think of to make your policies around?

If parents are stupid let them be stupid.

But Forcing people's information. What about Phishing attempts?

meh TOR BITCHES... Play on American/Australian/European servers (all be it with some lag).

Just configure it to work and all will be good

Hevva:
South Korea's "Shutdown Law" Takes Effect

The obvious way to attempt to dodge this law - by which I mean the teenager illegally hijacking a parent's identity to play - has already been taken up by 5% of teenage gamers, claims South Korean gaming site ThisIsGame. To deal with this problem, the MGEF wants games companies to collect additional information from gamers, including social security numbers and phone numbers, to strengthen account identification systems. As TIG notes, this is "exactly the opposite of personal information protection law."

Wow, really? Anonymous-South Korea must be salivating at that little bit of news.

I say this is a good thing. School kids need their sleep.

You are aware that on-line gaming "addiction" is actually a serious problem in S. Korea right? A few example being the parents who let their kids starve to death because they were too busy playing games and the kid who pulled the monster marathon of WoW (I think it was WoW anyway) and dropped dead because he barely ate, drank or slept?

But hey don't let facts get in the way of your dismissal of a completely different country and culture, no just carry on shouting "Freedom!" I'm sure they'll pay attention.

Because governments should me making subjective moral decisions about what people should be doing with their free time. Whatever the majority (that is, the majority of a load of middle aged politicians) thinks is 'right' clearly, should be imposed on everyone.

Carsus Tyrell:
You are aware that on-line gaming "addiction" is actually a serious problem in S. Korea right? A few example being the parents who let their kids starve to death because they were too busy playing games and the kid who pulled the monster marathon of WoW (I think it was WoW anyway) and dropped dead because he barely ate, drank or slept?

But hey don't let facts get in the way of your dismissal of a completely different country and culture, no just carry on shouting "Freedom!" I'm sure they'll pay attention.

So we should have a government body looking over our shoulders at all times to stop us hurting ourselves?

What do you think about extreme sports, or even just skiing or mountain climbing? Far more people die due to pursuit of those hobbies than videogames. I think we should demand permits for them. You can scream 'freedom' all you want, but people shouldn't be able to ever endanger themselves, because the nanny knows best.

As as for this 'different culture stuff', well, it makes no sense. South Koreans are humans, not some mysterious alien race with a different brain setup. Gaming is culturally a bigger deal there, sure. But you can't generalise a whole country and say 'their freedom should be reduced for their own good, because they have a different mindset to us'. That's only a few steps from European colonists deciding to 'civilise' the natives, because they're different and it's for our own good.

People have to be allowed to make their own choices, for better or for worse.

Normally, I'd be right up there with all those saying that the parents shouldld be handling this issue. But considering that even adult S. Koreans are probably having much of the same problems, I wonder if government intervention might not be a necessary evil here.

I mean, if you can't even count on parental intervention, what can you count on? If it means keeping your whole country from going down the tubes, you have to do something, right?

I'm not sure how they think they can enforce this. But it's a good thing. Kids need their sleep. And kids shouldn't wake up at 12:00 or later.

south koreans..

Y U NO PLAY OFFLINE!?!!?1

lol i have a feeling lots of ethernet cables will be bought in SK soon for lan parties across neighborhoods...

for real though, this is a bit...impending, if the parents allow it then obviously the government should piss off in this case.

So that means no goldspammer in tradechat between 12 and 6?
HOORAY!

When Parents Fail, the government steps in. Go Korea!!

isometry:

Rarhnor:

Yes, yes it is. If I decide I want to sell something at 2am the government should not have the power to tell me not to. It's all about free will.

Monxerot:
HOORAY!

South Korea is not China. low content post filler

isometry:

Rarhnor:

The laws ban the sale of liquor, not the consumption of liquor. It really depends on just how much of this gaming is going on at cafes or other business.

Good thing I didn't go to Korea this holiday ;)

I'm positive they'll find something else to do that isn't gaming, so this solves nothing.

If someone's truly "addicted," which I doubt is the case, they'll find something else. It isn't removing the one temptation, it's removing all of them, which this isn't doing.

It's also a scary violation of rights in my opinion.

spectrenihlus:

Monxerot:
HOORAY!

-icwutudidthar.jpg
-differences between asians
-lol'd hard
lowcontentpostfillerinserthere

Monxerot:

spectrenihlus:

Monxerot:
HOORAY!

-icwutudidthar.jpg
-differences between asians
-lol'd hard
lowcontentpostfillerinserthere

Don't make me go all South Park on you.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.