Rumor: Sony Developing Smash Bros-Style Brawler for PS3

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Rumor: Sony Developing Smash Bros-Style Brawler for PS3

If you've ever wondered who'd win in a fistfight between Nathan Drake and Parappa the Rapper, you might finally get a chance to find out.

Sometime back in late October, a blog by the name of The Paul Gale Network began reporting on an upcoming PlayStation 3 exclusive, (code)named Title Fight. According to the blog's author (Paul Gale, if you couldn't guess), the game in question is a brawl-style fighter that will match an assortment of warriors across a variety of stages in mortal combat. So far, nothing to churn the rumor mill over, right? Well, here's the catch: Supposedly, Title Fight's entire roster will draw only from Sony's exclusive properties, à la Nintendo's ever-popular Super Smash Brothers series.

Normally, when big rumors about big news crop up from small websites, it would be little more than wishful thinking for gamers to believe them. After all, news of something like an Elder Scrolls: Argonian Kart Racing game probably isn't going to break on some high schooler's tumblr account. Still, four weeks after his first report, Paul Gale's rumor is growing serious legs.

Reportedly, Gale is friends with (or at least has some dirt on) a high-profile inside source at the supposed game's developer, SuperBot Entertainment, from whom he gets all his information. A little digging by the internet revealed that SuperBot is an exclusive developer for Sony Computer Entertainment America, and is, indeed, currently at work on a secret exclusive title for them. It's also been uncovered that SuperBot job postings of late have all listed a desire for "experience with fighting games," but that's not all. Gale has been busy posting pictures of the development team shot from inside their offices, details of fighters, modes, and even a screen grab of the first character rendering, which you can see above. He's even linked to developer Twitter feeds which seem to perfectly coincide with his details.

If Gale is to be believed, the lineup will include over twenty characters, including Kratos, Parappa the Rapper, Nathan Drake, Sly Cooper, Fat Princess, Colonel Mael Radec and Sweet Tooth. There's even talk about the possibility of James Bond making an appearance (which might make sense considering Sony's involvement in the upcoming Bond film). Each of these characters will have three levels of "super moves" (which Gale promises to have a screen-grab of soon), including Sweet Tooth morphing into some sort of ice cream truck mech.

The stages revealed thus far include Jak & Daxter's Sandover Village (which may imply a Jak and/or Daxter character option), a Hot Shots golf course, and LittleBigPlanet. Could that mean a hypothetical Sackboy fighter in this hypothetical game? I'm hypothetically intrigued.

One of the most interesting components of this leak is that no one has fixed the faucet. In fact, it seems as though every time SuperBot knows something, Gale's database of info just grows in tandem. You can keep up with the story on Gale's frequently updated blog here, and see for yourself if you think Title Fight is fact or fiction. In the meantime, what do you think Escapists? Who would you like to see duel to the death if Title Fight becomes reality?

Source: IGN

Ico vs. Wander. Finally, we would find out which is the bigger badass...

OT: I was actually hoping something like this would happen. Can't wait, if it's true...

Cole MacGrath vs Kratos anyone?
Or Solid Snake vs sack person from Little Big Planet

As a huge smash fan my knee jerk reaction was a bit of spite that the idea was being copied. Then I realized this is actually good news. If Sony releases a competitor product--on different a system, sure--I feel there would be pressure on Nintendo to fix some of the irritating problems with Smash games, e.g. no more godforsaken clone characters, and take their product more seriously.

Could this see the return of Vibri?

Hahaha, Kratos vs Parappa the Rapper..............

"Yatatatatooo-taaaaaaaa, Kick, punch, your knifes in my mind...."

Sweet Tooth vs. Sackboy! A re-match from the 'Michael' commercial!

Sounds kinda cool actually.

I hope Ratchet and maybe an FF character are confirmed. That would make my PS3 experience complete.

An announcement like this is likely to attract a lot of hate, Given that its a clone or something awesome.

But shit, I want it so Badly!

Please throw Naughty Dog's Crash Bandicoot and other characters in there please.

TLS14:
I hope Ratchet and maybe an FF character are confirmed. That would make my PS3 experience complete.

Ratchet vs. Jak.

Daxter vs. Clank.

The final showdown!

Casual Shinji:

TLS14:

Ratchet vs. Jak.

Daxter vs. Clank.

The final showdown!

Exactly.

And now to avoid a low content post, I will add that seeing Cloud or Zidane in this game would be amazing. Then again, I'm of the opinion that the Dissidia games need to be ported to PS3, so...

My gut reaction to this is... -yawn-.

But after reading it I think I might have over-reacted.

Smash brothers has been copied several times. The problem is, these copies tend to involve characters nobody cares about.

The appeal of the smash brothers series has less to do with the gameplay, and more to to with the character roster. Sure, the gameplay matters, but at the end of the day, without the appeal of the characters (and a lot of background nostalgia), the series wouldn't have worked.

So... My reaction to Sony trying this is...

Do they have any interesting characters to work with? And that's why I initially thought it seems like a concept that wouldn't work.

But I guess the article proves me wrong. Sort of.

TLS14:

Casual Shinji:

TLS14:

Ratchet vs. Jak.

Daxter vs. Clank.

The final showdown!

Exactly.

And now to avoid a low content post, I will add that seeing Cloud or Zidane in this game would be amazing. Then again, I'm of the opinion that the Dissidia games need to be ported to PS3, so...

Crash Bandicoot vs. Spyro.

Nemesis vs. Pyramid Head.

Harry Mason vs. James Sunderland.

How many exclusive titles does the ps3 have at this point...?

Metal g... nope he's in brawl.
Twisted Metal? I guess, but a game hasn't come out since Black.
GoW sure Kratos... but he's in Mortal kombat... ps3 version only.
Naughty dawg stuff alright.
Final fantasy 7-12 i suppose.

But what else is there. Really. Besides racing games, because i know some jagoff will say that.

Personally, I hope they come up with a better title then Title Fight. Title Fight sounds like the name of an Intellivision boxing game.

rekabdarb:
How many exclusive titles does the ps3 have at this point...?

Metal g... nope he's in brawl.
Twisted Metal? I guess, but a game hasn't come out since Black.
GoW sure Kratos... but he's in Mortal kombat... ps3 version only.
Naughty dawg stuff alright.
Final fantasy 7-12 i suppose.

But what else is there. Really. Besides racing games, because i know some jagoff will say that.

The answer a lot:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:PlayStation_3-only_games

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:PlayStation_2-only_games

I'm looking forward to this game, I really enjoyed Smash Brothers and with Sony's history of improving on Nintendo's ideas this game should be a blast. And hopefully we get some Laharl and Etna love in this game.

rekabdarb:

Well, Insomniac has the Ratchet series. That's got some good characters. And I'm thinking that Nathan Drake could be featured as well. I just hope they use some characters from their insane backlog, such as the Prince (from either Prince of Persia or Katamari Damacy, now that I think about it) or Aya Brea from Parasite Eve.

Casual Shinji:

Crash Bandicoot vs. Spyro.

Nemesis vs. Pyramid Head.

Harry Mason vs. James Sunderland.

No, you fool! That means that the Skylanders version would be the most likely one!

And before I forget, Hyakkimaru from Blood Will Tell would fit right in to this style of game. Thanks, Wikipedia.

Chop Chop Master Onion will devastate everyone in that game.

Really, a rumour like this isn't anything to get hyped or angry over. I'd base my opinion on concrete things like confirmed rosters, not "maybes".

Oooooh, FUN. I'm in, so long as its a dumb brawler like Smash Brothers rather than a "serious business" fighter.

I heard that the "Michael" commercial may have something to do with this. If that's true, then I guess Ezio is included as well. And I guess Snake will have the privilege of being a part of both a Nintendo and Sony brawler.

Sony has a lot of IPs to use if they wanted to go through this. Resistance, Twisted Metal (See SweetTooth) Jak and Daxter, Ratchet and Clank, inFamous, Metal Gear Solid, Killzone, God of War, Little Big Planet, the PlayStation Final Fantasies (They'd probably have to ask Square though.), Uncharted, the Team Ico games, Yakuza, the list goes on and on. There's a lot of potential for this to work and I'm excited if this actually turns out to be true.

I'd imagine more people would get pissed if Microsoft announced a Smash Bros esque game for their IPs.

EDIT: Sold if Title Fight (working title?) includes Alex Mercer so I can re-enact Cole vs. Alex Mercer.

buy teh haloz:
Sony has a lot of IPs to use if they wanted to go through this. Resistance, Twisted Metal (See SweetTooth) Jak and Daxter, Ratchet and Clank, inFamous, Metal Gear Solid, Killzone, God of War, Little Big Planet, the PlayStation Final Fantasies (They'd probably have to ask Square though.), Uncharted, the Team Ico games, Yakuza, the list goes on and on. There's a lot of potential for this to work and I'm excited if this actually turns out to be true.

I'd imagine more people would get pissed if Microsoft announced a Smash Bros esque game for their IPs.

Don't forget Heavy Rain. They could have that dude just screaming "Jay-SUUUUN!!!!" "JAY-soohn!!!"

Annoying your opponent into submission.

Visulth:
As a huge smash fan my knee jerk reaction was a bit of spite that the idea was being copied. Then I realized this is actually good news. If Sony releases a competitor product--on different a system, sure--I feel there would be pressure on Nintendo to fix some of the irritating problems with Smash games, e.g. no more godforsaken clone characters, and take their product more seriously.

What has Sony ever done that isn't a direct copy of what Nintendo is doing?

DustyDrB:
Oooooh, FUN. I'm in, so long as its a dumb brawler like Smash Brothers rather than a "serious business" fighter.

I heard that the "Michael" commercial may have something to do with this. If that's true, then I guess Ezio is included as well. And I guess Snake will have the privilege of being a part of both a Nintendo and Sony brawler.

I would dance with joy if the game took your Home character, made it a playable character in the game, and when you beat the career/arcade mode, the Michael commercial comes on, but with one major difference.

The characters start acknowledging you and your accomplishments and bring out a new picture to hang with your Home character on it as the characters shout "TO YOU! TO YOU!"

...Oh God, I just figured out how badly I want this game.

DustyDrB:

buy teh haloz:

Don't forget Heavy Rain. They could have that dude just screaming "Jay-SUUUUN!!!!" "JAY-soohn!!!"

Annoying your opponent into submission.

I would be even happier if they let you play as Norman Jayden or any of the other characters, but their special moves look like the QTE's from Heavy Rain complete with the button prompt.

Could be cool, we could have Joseph Capellia take that smug prick Ratchet down a peg xD

On a side note: sold if it includes Quark.

They don't have good enough first party characters, but that's not the issue here. Piling a bunch of familiar characters into it is not what makes a good fighting game, and SSB has a very good, and for its time (and still) innovative combat system, and I doubt Sony'll be able to compete with that. Also, that title is moronic.
But still, could be a lot of fun, as long as they keep it casual. Which they won't. I guess I just don't have much hope for this, I'll just have to wait and see.

buy teh haloz:

Watch Master Chief fight Cortana! Marcus Fenix versus The Hero of Oakvalee! Noble Six vs. The Rookie! The Warthog vs some car from Forza! A whopping 10 characters to choose from, coming soon to an Xbox near you!

FolkLikePanda:
Please throw Naughty Dog's Crash Bandicoot and other characters in there please.

^^This. Every time I see uncharted and see a level were the character is running away (towards the camera) from some impending doom, all I can think about is this:

Intersting. Escpecially as this is going to pave the way to a Sony vs. Capcom if its true.

Actual opinion will have to wait till i actually see what the game is like.

FolkLikePanda:

Sadly, Crash is owned by Activision now. You might have missed it, but his games have gotten constantly worse since that happened and now we hear almost nothing of him anymore.

Torrasque:
What has Sony ever done that isn't a direct copy of what Nintendo is doing?

HD graphics, for one thing.

good, I've always wanted to see Nathan Drake get beat to shit by Kratos, the smug cunt... good games though, but I do just want to see him against Kratos... epic win

I can hope for:

Characters:
Laharl
Sir Daniel Fortesque
Wander
Abe from Oddworld (arguable)
Pyramid head
Dante (arguable)
Amaterasu (arguable)
A Persona Protagonist
A Monster Hunter
Cloud

Stages:
Patapon
Loco Roco
Phalanx (13th colossus, as mentioned by a facebook commenter)
R-Type

Item:
That sphere from inFamous

You know, I was already wondering why Microsoft and Sony didn't just bite the bullet and took a shot at the super smash formula.

Good luck to the PS3 fans. hope they make something good out of it

Kratos vs. Sweet Tooth would be a great match.

Although I always wanted to see Ratchet vs. Samus.

I figure both companies are from Japan so maybe it has some chance of happening.

Then I remember exactly why Sony got into the gaming business and I get depressed.

gigastar:
Intersting. Escpecially as this is going to pave the way to a Sony vs. Capcom if its true.

Actual opinion will have to wait till i actually see what the game is like.

FolkLikePanda:

Sadly, Crash is owned by Activision now. You might have missed it, but his games have gotten constantly worse since that happened and now we hear almost nothing of him anymore.

Yeah, I know ),= I meant put in Naughty Dog's version of Crash and some of the characters from the series. Wish Naughty Dog could buy back Crash.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here