Skyrim Patch Notes Released

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Skyrim Patch Notes Released

Bethesda released its PS3 patch today with a PC and Xbox 360 version imminent.

Skyrim may be a near-perfect RPG experience, but it still sucks when a programming glitch results in something unexpected. Office-mate Susan Arendt reported losing her housecarl inexplicably this weekend, and some PS3 players have experienced unplayable lag after playing a while from the large save files. While I'm not sure if Susan will ever get Lydia back, the PS3 issue and many other bugs are squashed with Patch 1.2 released today by Bethesda. Skyrim is already eligible for a patch on the PS3, and PC and Xbox 360 users will have the patch available some time this week, probably by Wednesday, November 30th.

The full patch notes are here with specific platforms listed:

Improved occasional performance issues resulting from long term play (PlayStation 3)
Fixed issue where textures would not properly upgrade when installed to drive (Xbox 360)
Fixed crash on startup when audio is set to sample rate other than 44100Hz (PC)
Fixed issue where projectiles did not properly fade away
Fixed occasional issue where a guest would arrive to the player's wedding dead
Dragon corpses now clean up properly
Fixed rare issue where dragons would not attack
Fixed rare NPC sleeping animation bug
Fixed rare issue with dead corpses being cleared up prematurely
Skeleton Key will now work properly if player has no lockpicks in their inventory
Fixed rare issue with renaming enchanted weapons and armor
Fixed rare issue with dragons not properly giving souls after death
ESC button can now be used to exit menus (PC)
Fixed occasional mouse sensitivity issues (PC)
General functionality fixes related to remapping buttons and controls (PC)

While I'm sure that this patch will fix many issues, there are always more popping up. Bethesda says it will keep monitoring forums for complaints and fix what they can, so be sure to tell someone about the dragon that flies into the tower or books mysteriously disappearing from shelves.

Speaking of books, why not download a file with all the books from Skyrim?

Source: Bethblog

So the interface will remain buggy and unchanged, the STUPID STUPID STUPID key bindings for containers (what's that, game? I just ate ALL my potion ingredients? but I click on things to take them out of the container, so I must click on them to put them.... aaah, I see. For some reason you guys decided that being able to eat potion ingredients, read books and equip armour and weapons while rifling through a chest was so important that you mapped "place item" to the FUCKING "R" key) will remain unchanged, the issue where NPC's would halt mission-critical movements and actions to have a chat because you got a little too close to them will remain unchanged, the bug that causes items in player-owned houses to fly around at random, making item placement pointless and causing an enormous mess will remain unchanged.

Colour me unimpressed.

mikey7339:
Crap, I already forgot about the patch and wasn't going to play today. Might as well turn it on and get it updated for later this week.

Do they have any more technical info on any of these issues; the PS3 degraded performance issue in-particular. It seemed like some weird type of memory leak to me.

yeah, the fact that this remains unchanged is pretty egregious.

Does that word make sense in that context? egregious?

theemporer:

You can do this? Um, how?

Also, excellent news about the lag on PS3, mine is starting to get worse.

Just enchant a weapon or piece of armour and the game asks you what you want to name it.

DressedInRags:
...that bug where arrows and ice spikes get permanently stuck on you will remain unchanged...

Fixed issue where projectiles did not properly fade away

That's what they meant by that. The rest of your gripes, no such luck, I'm afraid.

Does it fix the bug where after you complete the Markarth conspiracy quest it's impossible to lose your bounty?
I can't go to jail to repay my debt to society, I can't pay the fine, I'm a criminal for life!

Ooooh... I was wondering where my housecarl went...

Grrr, why do I have to wait until Wednesday? Bask in my impatience! Bask I say!!

So can I still shoot Dragon bones with Ice Spikes?

Crap, I already forgot about the patch and wasn't going to play today. Might as well turn it on and get it updated for later this week.

Do they have any more technical info on any of these issues; the PS3 degraded performance issue in-particular. It seemed like some weird type of memory leak to me.

You can do this? Um, how?

Also, excellent news about the lag on PS3, mine is starting to get worse.

Hmm...I've experienced two bugs (one I just noticed today), and neither look like they will be addressed.

-Meridia said she'd reveal the location of her beacon to me, but it never showed up on my map. I'll have to find it by pure chance now, since it spawns in a random location.

-Aela won't use any bow I give her, but instead uses her hunting bow. So that Legendary Ebony bow I gave her is doing nothing. There's a pretty big damage difference between the two, and would be even larger if I gave her an enchanted one.

Well, downloaded it, went to do part of a main quest, killed a dragon and as I rode past the corpse my game froze...first time its done that. I'll give it one more shot but if it freezes again I'm deleting the patch. The lag was only minor in my case but I may not be as far in as some other people (in fact I know I'm not XD )

I thought that was just because the dragons were too scared to come after me. Such as low level Dragons, where I had to hit them with Dragonrend (or any offensive spell/shout) to get them to attack me.

Also... I have a more annoying bug that literally makes it impossible for me to continue the main story around Act 2, shortly after learning Dragonrend.

So I really hope it'll be fixed soon (if it's not already fixed in this patch) so that I can continue my game. And this is on Xbox 360.

DustyDrB:
Hmm...I've experienced two bugs (one I just noticed today), and neither look like they will be addressed.

-Meridia said she'd reveal the location of her beacon to me, but it never showed up on my map. I'll have to find it by pure chance now, since it spawns in a random location.

-Aela won't use any bow I give her, but instead uses her hunting bow. So that Legendary Ebony bow I gave her is doing nothing. There's a pretty big damage difference between the two, and would be even larger if I gave her an enchanted one.

Yeah, the way companions only sometimes equip certain items that you give them is really annoying.

OT: Thought there would be way more fixes this patch, considering I'm tripping over a rather large amount of bugs constantly in this game. I suppose this is better than nothing, but regardless, it's irritating.

...well at least they got the lag, the rest seems mostly unimportant. But looking through this list it doesn't even touch the numerous glitches I've had or seen on the TES wikis. For the most part the glitches are small but why did they prioritize a rare NPC sleeping animation bug over me not being able to get rid of the fucking instruments from the bards college. I don't know if they add actual weight but I think they do if so that is 8 lbs or so of loot I can't put on my pack mule/redguard.

ESC button can now be used to exit menus (PC)

This should not have been needed to be patched in, what the hell?

Greg Tito:
Fixed occasional issue where a guest would arrive to the player's wedding dead...

I didn't know that you could get married in game at all! It's such a shame I lost Lydia to that glitch... Ah well. Once this patch comes out I'll start a new game.

I know that Skyrim took a long time to make but I didn't think that it went into THAT much detail! At least now I can see why they took the time to put in various rings...

Thank the gods! That damn bug made me give up on Marrige since the guest arrives dead your bride turns on you and refuses to marry you!

DressedInRags:
So the interface will remain buggy and unchanged, that bug where arrows and ice spikes get permanently stuck on you will remain unchanged, the STUPID STUPID STUPID key bindings for containers (what's that, game? I just ate ALL my potion ingredients? but I click on things to take them out of the container, so I must click on them to put them.... aaah, I see. For some reason you guys decided that being able to eat potion ingredients, read books and equip armour and weapons while rifling through a chest was so important that you mapped "place item" to the FUCKING "R" key) will remain unchanged, the issue where NPC's would halt mission-critical movements and actions to have a chat because you got a little too close to them will remain unchanged, the bug that causes items in player-owned houses to fly around at random, making item placement pointless and causing an enormous mess will remain unchanged.

Colour me unimpressed.

Just get a programmable keyboard, or what I do is play on PC using an Xbox controller with custom key-mappings (I don't use the built-in xbox controller support because I want to completely customize the interface, which I do with pinnacle profiler).

Research in software development shows that normal users criticize any interface that is unfamiliar to them. The interfaces that are rated highly are the ones they are able to learn quickly. Conversely, we like user interfaces we are familiar with, no matter how poorly designed they are (e.g. the QWERTY keyboard layout).

I can't remember the last time I played a new game where I did not have to customize the interface to my liking using third-party software to reprogram keys. That's part of why I game on PC: by default most games have very limited options for remapping keys, and no options for macro keys, and so I need third party software to do it properly.

I'm not trying to excuse Bethesda or defend their interface. Like I said, I gave up on default UIs for all games years ago and took the matter into my own hands using programmable keys; IMO all developers these days fail by not making their UIs customizable enough. On the otherhand, third party software and programmable keyboards completely solve the problem for UI snobs like me, and that's why I recommend them to anyone who has trouble with the UI in any game.

General functionality fixes related to remapping buttons and controls (PC)

Such as... maybe the keypad keys for lefties?

AlternatePFG:

DustyDrB:

Yeah, the way companions only sometimes equip certain items that you give them is really annoying.

OT: Thought there would be way more fixes this patch, considering I'm tripping over a rather large amount of bugs constantly in this game. I suppose this is better than nothing, but regardless, it's irritating.

I haven't experienced this with any other companion. I've mostly used Erandur (best companion in the game), but have gone with Lydia, Kharjo, and that priest of Azura (whatever her name is) some too. Aela does use the swords and shields I give her, though. But at level 40, the hunting bow just sucks. It kind of sucks at level 4.

So that WAS a bug? I thought dragons were just dickheads and every now and then one would just prance about the sky being all like:

Hey, like my fancy wings? Yeah I thought so, too bad you cant have them.
Like my shiny scales and pearly white teeth? Yeah they're pretty cool too.
Man, it must SUCK not being a dragon and all...
Did I mention I'm a freakin' dragon?

DustyDrB:
I haven't experienced this with any other companion. I've mostly used Erandur (best companion in the game), but have gone with Lydia, Kharjo, and that priest of Azura (whatever her name is) some too. Aela does use the swords and shields I give her, though. But at level 40, the hunting bow just sucks. It kind of sucks at level 4.

I tried to give Aela a really good enchanted Daedric bow, but she wouldn't use it. Same for pretty much any companion, they always use their default bow over the ones you give them, at least for me. Tried to give Vilkas some good enchanted Wolf Armor gauntlets that increased his two-handed damage, but he wouldn't equip over his weaker, normal wolf gauntlets. The way companions equip your stuff is really finicky in general honestly.

If you want Aela to be a decent archer, I guess giving her some Fortify Archery enchanted gear will make her somewhat decent, but the hunting bow still sucks. *shrug*

AlternatePFG:

DustyDrB:

I tried to give Aela a really good enchanted Daedric bow, but she wouldn't use it. Same for pretty much any companion, they always use their default bow over the ones you give them, at least for me. Tried to give Vilkas some good enchanted Wolf Armor gauntlets that increased his two-handed damage, but he wouldn't equip over his weaker, normal wolf gauntlets. The way companions equip your stuff is really finicky in general honestly.

Did you give them arrows to go with it? Im not sure how Skyrim works, but I remember in New Vegas the companions only had infinite ammo for their default wep and would only use other weapons if you gave them the ammo to go with it. Maybe its the same here?

TimeLord:

Thank the gods! That damn bug made me give up on Marrige since the guest arrives dead your bride turns on you and refuses to marry you!

How does that work exactly anyway, I'm actually curious. Does the bride suddenly decide to hate you because the corpse stinks up the wedding and ruins it?

OT: Well this seems like an okay start, but I heard the game has far more than just those, and will need a lot more fixes before I consider buying it.

Prof.Beany:
Did you give them arrows to go with it? Im not sure how Skyrim works, but I remember in New Vegas the companions only had infinite ammo for their default wep and would only use other weapons if you gave them the ammo to go with it. Maybe its the same here?

Yeah, tried that. Didn't work, unfortunately. The companion system as a whole feels like a step down from that game. They should've brought back the companion wheel or something similar for Skyrim. Kinda clunky going back to the dialogue menus. (Especially considering they have an order companion option, which would be useful if it wasn't so clunky using it)

Prof.Beany:

So that WAS a bug? I thought dragons were just dickheads and every now and then one would just prance about the sky being all like:

Hey, like my fancy wings? Yeah I thought so, too bad you cant have them.
Like my shiny scales and pearly white teeth? Yeah they're pretty cool too.
Man, it must SUCK not being a dragon and all...
Did I mention I'm a freakin' dragon?

I never knew the voice in my head could sound so camp...

Also thought this was Working As Intended, just so when I gave up and forgot about them, they could scare the shit out of me as they barrel rolled from behind next to my ear.

archvile93:

TimeLord:

How does that work exactly anyway, I'm actually curious. Does the bride suddenly decide to hate you because the corpse stinks up the wedding and ruins it?

OT: Well this seems like an okay start, but I heard the game has far more than just those, and will need a lot more fixes before I consider buying it.

From what I hear, it cancels the wedding, but if you try again, the corpse returns, and you need to drag the corpse into the basement like the dirty laundry of yours that it is.

As for bugs, apart from the game occassionally crashing when I alt-tab, I've had none for the PC. Besides really minor ones like an arrow being in my knee for a couple of rooms too long.

archvile93:

TimeLord:

I guess she just basically accuses you of murdering the poor soul who dropped dead since you are the one running around Skyrim murdering everything else, it actually seems like a reasonable accusation to be fair.

I am finding the glitches up until now quite funny aside from the ones that break entire quest lines, having said that I would like to see less dragons fannying about while I try to get their attention, something has gone awry when I am bored enough that I stand on a hill flicking arrows at dragonsj just to get their attention!

Also what about "Fixed issue where having guards after you in a town 10 miles away makes a plot relevant npc follow you forever asking what you want" or
"Fixed frequent issue where character decides he doesn't wan't to use his weapons today oh no sireebob" or
"Fixed semifrequent issue where entire bodies of water become invisible and the floor turns blurry" or
"Fixed issue where beating the dragon you are supposed to capture makes it jam itself through the mechanism and refuse to talk to you" or ect ect you get my point.

wait...wat? You can get married in Skyrim?

I should've thought that through... female-female marriages allowed in this game or am I doomed to a lonely, single life?

I'm glad they are fixing the issue with dragon corpses. The first dragon you can kill just stayed at the guard tower forever, but its physics changed to near weightless and collision errors kept making it jump around. Eventually it landed in Whiterun's gate!

A firebolt sent it flying out into oblivion, but I've seen other corpses threaten to stick around and go bouncy on me.

antipunt:

wait...wat? You can get married in Skyrim?

I should've thought that through... female-female marriages allowed in this game or am I doomed to a lonely, single life?

There aren't any restrictions on gender when it comes to marriage. If they like you and are flagged by the Radiant system as willing to marry, you can marry them male or female. You just need to talk with the priest of Mara in Riften first.

This is a really disappointing patch.

How about fixing the random dragon skeletons that fall out of the sky? Or the one where companions don't equip things that you give them? Maybe fixing the major one where you sometimes can't tab out of conversation? No? Just rare and minor bugs? Thanks, Beth.

I wasn't expecting them to fix destruction, but it would've been nice. It's like they see giving players the ability to mod as an excuse to release a painfully unfinished game.

How about the part where it won't let me buy the house in windhelm? That's a bit of a problem.

Ugh, programming these kinds of games must be a motherfuckin nightmare.

So many objects, interacting with many other objects, in many possible ways, in many possible environments, under many possible situations.

I'm surprised it's running as well as it is, even without the patch.

They should have kept the corpse at the wedding. It's pretty funny.

archvile93:

TimeLord:

If we're going by the dialogue in this video, it's because the body is a tripping hazard. :P

Eccentric Lich:
How about fixing the random dragon skeletons that fall out of the sky? Or the one where companions don't equip things that you give them? Maybe fixing the major one where you sometimes can't tab out of conversation? No? Just rare and minor bugs? Thanks, Beth.

Yes, "rare and minor" bugs. I think they're downplaying some of the issues they did fix; I've seen non-attacking dragons and non-absorbing souls way more often than I'd like.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.