L.A. Noire Creator's New Project Named Whore of the Orient

Pages 1 2 NEXT

L.A. Noire Creator's New Project Named Whore of the Orient

L.A. Noire taskmaster Brendan McNamara's next game is called Whore of the Orient and is set to be produced alongside a second KMM game based on a man named Max.

Things probably didn't go quite as planned for Brendan McNamara following the release of L.A. Noire. Despite a solid critical and commercial reception, Team Bondi collapsed almost immediately after its launch and McNamara found himself the target of some pretty harsh accusations over his leadership and management style. But he landed on his feet at KMM, the Australian studio best known for the Happy Feet films, and now the name of his new project has been revealed to the world as Whore of the Orient.

Intriguing, no? And that's not the only thing KMM has in mind for its developers. A game based on Mad Max 4: Fury Road is also in the works, which Mad Max creator George Miller decided to do "after years of resisting the impulse" because there's just too much money on the table these days to ignore.

"With the government's support we can immediately go forward with two games," KMM co-founder Doug Mitchell told the Financial Review. "It's not immediately obvious but the potential in the video games sector is massive. Just from the statistics people are showing me, it's a $60 billion industry fast-tracking towards $90 billion. And it's not dominated by any particular country."

"People are drifting to game acquisition because of the budgets. The cost of a film may be $170 million - twice that to market it - whereas the basic cost of making a game might be 10 per cent of that. Look at L.A. Noire, they sold about three million units in a week, about $135 million net revenue, off a cost base which was infinitely lower than even your average low-budget film."

Nothing else is known about McNamara's new game at this point, but he set the bar awfully high in an interview with Eurogamer earlier this month. "It's pretty interesting. It's one of the great untold stories of the twentieth century," he said. "So I think it'll be good."

And you know there will be people so desperate for work they'll be willing to work under him, shame.

Andy Chalk:
But he landed on his feet at KMM, the Australian studio best known for the Happy Feet films, and now the name of his new project has been revealed to the world as Whore of the Orient.

The studio that did Happy Feet is doing this? Christ, talk about a shift of tone.

Of course, let's see how long he lasts before new charges start getting filed.

"Whore of the Orient"? I'm intrigued to say the least, every if just to find out what genre that game will be...

Given McNamara's abusive personality, it's probably best he stick with whores.

Wow, what a crude naming choice.

20th century stereotypes on Asian women, for the win?

Whore of the Orient?

Well that title seems certain to get changed before release. Leaving aside the obvious, 'Orient' is a somewhat archaic term, and regarded as mildly offensive by some these days.

Wait a tick, didn't LA Noire cost a shit ton?

Catalyst6:

The studio that did Happy Feet is doing this? Christ, talk about a shift of tone.

You haven't seen the sneak peaks at Happy Feet 3.

Penguin with a shotgun.

So what aspect of Shanghai's history will the game reflect? The Opium Wars? The Japanese occupation? The 1920's and 30's (I hope so)? Modern Shanghai? Intriguing.

Anyway remove the mutants from Fallout 3, add in cars change the pallet a little and you have your Mad Max game. They say people don't believe in heroes anymore. Well damn them! You and me, Max, we're gonna give them back their heroes!

I say old chap:

Errr. No. It is a name given to Shanghai during its heyday in the 20's and 30's. Whore of the Orient, Paris of the East.

I think he should go ahead and just make a movie. I didn't really enjoy the games too much, because there was far too much of an emphasis on story than gameplay. I was interacting less, and just watching more.

Sixcess:
Whore of the Orient?

Well that title seems certain to get changed before release. Leaving aside the obvious, 'Orient' is a somewhat archaic term, and regarded as mildly offensive by some these days.

To me it sounds more like a boat name, perhaps, given the name theme and the "orient" being used a lot in period British things, I wouldn't be surprised if it was maybe a horror game set on an English trading vessel in the 1900s

If I am right on this you BETTER buy me a muffin

Of course of all the names for Xanghai, they had to go with the one that made the most noise

Well, it's good to know the studio behind happy feet isn't worried about it's future reputation.

Looks interesting though, all things considered.

"Just from the statistics people are showing me, it's a $60 billion industry fast-tracking towards $90 billion. And it's not dominated by any particular country"

Yes it is Japan and North America

"The cost of a film may be $170 million - twice that to market it - whereas the basic cost of making a game might be 10 per cent of that. Look at L.A. Noire, they sold about three million units in a week, about $135 million net revenue, off a cost base which was infinitely lower than even your average low-budget film"

Wait... What? To my understanding, in a modern context a 'low budget' game that hopes to have any mainstream appeal has a budget in the region of $5 million or more.

Many of the biggest titles are $50 million, and some break $100 million.

In what way does this compare favourably to film budgets of $170 million, when it is certainly possible to make a film for the same kinds of budgets that games are made for...

Doesn't make sense to me...

Well, I know which game I won't be buying next. After his last fiasco, I wasn't a fan, but this just seals it.

Okay, let me get this strait, he's actually calling it Whore of the Orient? And he doesn't expect any kind of backlash? Sorry to be the one to break it to ya' but...

Whore of the Orient sounds like a book by Agatha Christie.

Time to curl our 'staches gentlemen.

I just know everyone is going to jump on me for this, but really? Whore of the Orient?

Forgive me but I cannot ever see myself going up to the counter at Gamestop and saying with a straight face "I want this game called Whore of the Orient."

octafish:
So what aspect of Shanghai's history will the game reflect? The Opium Wars? The Japanese occupation? The 1920's and 30's (I hope so)? Modern Shanghai? Intriguing.

Anyway remove the mutants from Fallout 3, add in cars change the pallet a little and you have your Mad Max game. They say people don't believe in heroes anymore. Well damn them! You and me, Max, we're gonna give them back their heroes!

I say old chap:

Errr. No. It is a name given to Shanghai during its heyday in the 20's and 30's. Whore of the Orient, Paris of the East.

See, while a game based on whatever conflict was going on in Shanghai during that time to earn itself that sort of nickname could be very intriguing if dealt with in a mature and thoughtful manner, somehow I doubt that this abusive hack really has the brain capacity to make it so.

I would love to be proven wrong, but no developer has ever done so.

Not gonna lie, I am actually intrigued by the notion of a game called Whore of the Orient. A game set in early 1900s Shanghai? Yeah, I could be convinced to buy that.

Okay, sure, it'll probably be crap with a sensationalist title or a Facebook game or something, but I'm curious nonetheless.

EverythingIncredible:
I just know everyone is going to jump on me for this, but really? Whore of the Orient?

Forgive me but I cannot ever see myself going up to the counter at Gamestop and saying with a straight face "I want this game called Whore of the Orient."

Really? So... you wouldn't be tempted to walk up and ask with a huge grin on your face just for the pleasure of seeing how the counter guy reacts?

No? Just me?

Game title and themes aside, I refuse to support McNamara, and I encourage everyone to raise shit with his studio for hiring him.

Don't really understand all the hate this McNamara guy is getting.
I thought LA Noire was a great game...

Hmmm, well it sounds like it could be a differant theme for a game, my only real problem is that he makes it sound like a gaming version of a historical epic, and attempts to do similar things have never gone well in my experience.

Still, depending on how it looks I might be interested.

"People are drifting to game acquisition because of the budgets. The cost of a film may be $170 million - twice that to market it - whereas the basic cost of making a game might be 10 per cent of that. Look at L.A. Noire, they sold about three million units in a week, about $135 million net revenue, off a cost base which was infinitely lower than even your average low-budget film."

I'm not really sure he should be saying that after accusations of Team Bondi employees not getting their pay. While earnings are neat, what is happening that makes the cost base "infinitely lower"?

Due to the overall lack of regulation of the industry, they seem to be dictating their own rules, and perhaps one of them could be "we expect top quality work from cheap skilled labor who should be grateful for getting to work in a 'fun' industry like games".

Really? Whore of the Orient? Is he really taking the COD way of trying to get publicity (intentionally making some controversy just so people will buy the game)? Tactics like that are weak and this particular one is insulting to Chinese people

Why you use stupid marketing?

He might get even more publicity if he just gave it the full title: Whore of the Orient, Paris of the East.

But yeah, all kidding aside, I would actually like to see a game set in Shanghai during the 1900s, preferably involving some real issues of the day. And that might just be wishful thinking, but I actually think L.A. Noire handled its subject matter pretty well.

McNamara's an asshole, but hey, I wouldn't want to be stuck in an elevator with Orson Welles or Stanley Kubrick, either...

tasteful, ya pretentious pseudo-intellectual douchesquirrel

I like the name. I'm intrigued. Definitely going to be paying attention to this one.

As for the shift in tone, bear in mind that in his pre-KMM days, Happy Feet director and writer George Miller gave the world Mad Max.

Yup, that Mad Max.

Catalyst6:

Andy Chalk:
But he landed on his feet at KMM, the Australian studio best known for the Happy Feet films, and now the name of his new project has been revealed to the world as Whore of the Orient.

Of course, let's see how long he lasts before new charges start getting filed.

I don't really see much difference, they're both movies centered around accepting money for scr*wing you over.

Will the project feature the newest facial technology?

joking aside, I'm interested in the incoming shitstorm :p

Wait... if L.A. Noire was such a big success, and video games are sooooo profitable, why is the company that made L.A. Noire not exist anymore? did i miss something?

I say old chap:

Whore of the Orient is also one of the nicknames of Shanghai.

So can we expect to see this game by 2019?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.