Robocop Joins Star Trek 2 Cast

Robocop Joins Star Trek 2 Cast

How do you make Star Trek 2 even better? Just add the dude who played Detroit's cyborg guardian.

J.J. Abrams' highly-anticipated sequel to Star Trek is finally picking up steam, acquiring a rather impressive cast (in addition to the original movie's), including Alice Eve and Benicio Del Toro. However, it's just been announced that Peter Weller will appear in the sequel, which means that the nerd crossover fantasy of Robocop and Star Trek is about to take place. Sort of. Okay, not really, but it's fun to imagine.

Variety is reporting that Weller, who's best known for portraying Robocop (only in the first two movies, though) and the main character in The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the Eighth Dimension has just been added to fill out the big-name cast. Weller is reportedly going to play the sidekick to the villainous Del Toro (who is rumored to be playing Khan Noonien Singh - though nobody will either confirm or deny this). Also, this isn't the first time that Weller's appeared in the Star Trek universe: He played John Frederick Paxton during a couple of episodes on the oft-maligned Star Trek: Enterprise.

Even though Weller is best remembered for his portrayal of Alex J. Murphy, I've always enjoyed him when he appears as a villain. He was a delightful distraction as Stan Liddy on Dexter and he was certainly menacing when he appeared as Alistair Peck in Fringe. What will be interesting to see, though, is just who Weller - and, concurrently, Del Toro - will actually be playing in the sequel. When you've got Robocop and the Wolfman working together, that's quite a team-up.

Source: Variety via Screen Rant

Finally someone with dialogue more stilted than kirk!

Your move..... KHAAAAN!

Soviet Heavy:

Your move..... KHAAAAN!

You have three seconds to return the Reliant to Starfleet.

How could Del Toro be playing Khan when Kirk ain't even marooned him yet?
Oh well, I guess I shouldn't worry...

Soviet Heavy:

They'll fix that, they fix everything

http://www.nme.com/filmandtv/news/star-trek-director-jj-abrams-denies-villain-khan/254747

So The Director has said Khan is not the vilain of the movie...Probably half a dosen times. If you don't trust that source just google search something like JJ Abrams Khan. There shpould be several that any one will trust.

Now onto the news.

Cool.

Robert632:
http://www.nme.com/filmandtv/news/star-trek-director-jj-abrams-denies-villain-khan/254747

So The Director has said Khan is not the vilain of the movie...Probably half a dosen times. If you don't trust that source just google search something like JJ Abrams Khan. There shpould be several that any one will trust.

Now onto the news.

Cool.

Besides which Del Toro is terrible casting for Khan, he isn't even Indian let alone Sihk. I know Ricardo Montalbán wasn't either, but they could do it properly now.

DVS BSTrD:
How could Del Toro be playing Khan when Kirk ain't even marooned him yet?
snip

They could find the Botany Bay. Or is that too obvious?

Anyway back to Weller, he can do cool menace very well, and if they throw in a casual reference to "I've been ionized, but I'm okay now" or that great Marshal Foch quote "My center is giving way...my right is in retreat. Situation excellent: I shall attack" I'll be more than happy.

Seriously people, give it a rest on Khan being in this one. JJ has already stated that Khan isn't going to be in this. You act like that this is the only way the movie will be great. If Star Trek has only Khan to answer for, then I guess all those other movies must have been a mass pipe dream.
OT: This makes my day all the better. Peter is one of the most under-rated actors, ever.

I loved the Startrek film, i can't watch the series though, don't know why. Time to watch it again i think!

Speaking of Startrek...Wanna hear Kirk Rapping?

I don't why he talks like that, apparently it's a joke from the series...still funny though, Columbus is very well done xD

Could someone please slaughter JJ Abrams already? I want that bastard ruined, why the hell do so many people like his stuff? This is the bastard that made LOST for crying out loud! God hate him. The only saving grave, is that the original film was in an alternative universe and timeline, but what a shocking contribution to Star Trek, completely horrific.

Conza:
Could someone please slaughter JJ Abrams already? I want that bastard ruined, why the hell do so many people like his stuff? This is the bastard that made LOST for crying out loud! God hate him. The only saving grave, is that the original film was in an alternative universe and timeline, but what a shocking contribution to Star Trek, completely horrific.

I completely agree. While I feel that some of the more recent Trek shows and movies have and slipping in quality overall and have been somewhat lacking, this wasn't the solution I was looking for AT ALL.

Conza:

Really? You really think the new film was a shocking contribution, after Star Trek TMP, 5, 7, 9, 10, Voyager, and Enterprise?

The new film was actually quite revitalizing. I had completely and utterly given up on the Star Trek franchise at that point and except for the horrifying 'action' sequences filmed with a shitty handheld camera (how the hell they managed to film CGI with a shitty handheld is beyond me) it was a good addition to the series.

If they manage to keep their enthusiasm for MICHAEL BAY EDITING WOOOOOOH SHAKYCAMSHAKYCAMSHAKYCAMSPLOSIONS FUCK YEAH down a bit, then I'm having good hopes for this one. The news in the OT definitely made me perk up a bit as Welles is easily one of my favorite actors. Extremely under-rated fellow.

Peter Weller? I like him in a majority of Sci-fi films but...I don't really want to call J.J Abram's Startrek..Sci-fi.

Buckaroo Banzai joins cast of Star Trek; renews manliness in series

I just read on IGN that Benicio Del Toro is NOT gonna be portraying Khan?

ah well, two years and going may have created more and more bile in the hearts of audiences towards JJ's Star Trek, but I'm still hella excited for it! about damn time, like really :D

I hope Del Toro isn't really going to be Khan. Khan was Indian, not Puerto Rican-Spanish!

Watch out for the cycle, though. The last movie was good, so chances are this next one will suck. Unless it can break it somehow.

DVS BSTrD:
They'll fix that, they fix everything

Bitchin Robocop reference.

There were a lot of good 80s stars that eventually fell in to the "made for t.v movies" categories during the 90s and early 2000s (still no useable shorthand?). Sure he did a couple of them, but then he started doing the more mainstream stuff again.

I wonder how J.J will bone up science in Star Trek 2? Maybe he will have Scotty utilize the "Big Bang" to restart the Enterprise's engines.

Phlakes:
Watch out for the cycle, though. The last movie was good, so chances are this next one will suck. Unless it can break it somehow.

You got it backwards, in the Star Trek 'verse, the even numbered movies are the best ones; Wrath of Khan, Voyage Home, Undiscovered Country and First Contact. All the odd numbered ones; The Movie, Search for Spock (Christopher Lloyd as a Kilingon? Not buying it), and the 5th one(forgot the name), all sucked balls.

In keeping with the tradition, J.J's first sucked balls.

008Zulu:

Phlakes:

You got it backwards, in the Star Trek 'verse, the even numbered movies are the best ones; Wrath of Khan, Voyage Home, Undiscovered Country and First Contact. All the odd numbered ones; The Movie, Search for Spock (Christopher Lloyd as a Kilingon? Not buying it), and the 5th one(forgot the name), all sucked balls.

In keeping with the tradition, J.J's first sucked balls.

Yes, but it continues into the TNG movies- Generations sucked, and Insurrection sucked but you can throw Galaxy Quest between them, First Contact was good, and Nemesis sucked, and then there was this one.

Heres to hoping this rehashed abomination runs its course quickly so we can stop with this tedious kirk/spock era garbage.

Either progress the actual timeline beyond the TNG area, or dont bother.

viranimus:
Heres to hoping this rehashed abomination runs its course quickly so we can stop with this tedious kirk/spock era garbage.

Either progress the actual timeline beyond the TNG area, or dont bother.

I'm still waiting for my EMH romantic comedy musical.

PrinceOfShapeir:

Conza:

Really? You really think the new film was a shocking contribution, after Star Trek TMP, 5, 7, 9, 10, Voyager, and Enterprise?

I would go so far as to say that Voyager was mediocre, Enterprise was terrible, and none of the TNG movies should have been made. None of them. The "new" one (which isn't really new anymore) was at least entertaining, even if it didn't really feel like Star Trek. I was able to ignore that it wasn't what I wanted and enjoy it for what it was (a summer action movie in SPAAAAAAAAACE). At least no one traveled warp 10 and turned into a lizard, so it has that going for it.

Thought the first film was absolute balls. I know that Star Trek never rated all that highly on the Mohs scale of SF hardness, but it's like the producers of the film couldn't grasp even the fundamentals of how space works. Even I, someone with no formal scientific education beyond high school, could see the plot holes as large as moon craters.

Seriously, does it not bother anyone that the same people they've got writing the Star Trek movies are the same writers behind the Transformers movies? I could forget the terrible science if the dialogue had any kind of zing to it, but it was all so clunky and forced that I felt like I was watching a bad fanfilm of the original Star Trek series.

And the lens flares... god, the lens flares... anyways, I hope Robocop has fun on the set of the new film. I doubt I'll be paying any money to watch it.

Conza:

J.J Abrams merely created Lost. Besides the pilot, he only co-writed one more episode whereas Carlton Cuse and John Lindelof both wrote 39 and 45 episodes, respectively.
It is true that he gets too much love though.

Yeah, del Toro said no to the Star Trek sequel. Just an FYI to those of you who wanted/didn't want him playing Khan/another character.

Honestly, I'm simply happy there's some more Star Trek on the way. No strong feelings either way for del Toro but Peter Weller always has a special place in my heart as a robot and as a quantum physicist rockstar superhero.

As far as the Trek goes, I just hope it doesn't go into the boring bullshit realms so many incarnations of Trek have gone before. And yes I'm looking at you, movies V, VI, VII, IX and X; Enterprise seasons 2-3; at least half of DS9; and maybe a third of Voyager.

Phlakes:
Yes, but it continues into the TNG movies- Generations sucked, and Insurrection sucked but you can throw Galaxy Quest between them, First Contact was good, and Nemesis sucked, and then there was this one.

Reboots/alternate timelines don't count as part of the main franchise, they start a line all of their own but are still subject to the same rules.

008Zulu:

Phlakes:

Reboots/alternate timelines don't count as part of the main franchise, they start a line all of their own but are still subject to the same rules.

Which still doesn't explain what the hell the new DMC game is supposed to be.

OT: I thought the first movie was a waste of time. Then again, in the war of Kirk vs. Picard I safely side with Kate Mulgrew as Janeway.

NameIsRobertPaulson:
Which still doesn't explain what the hell the new DMC game is supposed to be.

OT: I thought the first movie was a waste of time. Then again, in the war of Kirk vs. Picard I safely side with Kate Mulgrew as Janeway.

Never followed DMC, had to Google what it meant, yeah a few people are comparing it to J.J's Star Trek, but with less lens flare as one skimmed caption put it.

I like Picard better, not only because Kirk is overrated, but Voyager had the ep "Threshold" and what particularly grieves me about Janeway is the ep "Tuvix".

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.