Rayman Creator Doesn't Like Mario

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Rayman Creator Doesn't Like Mario

Michel Ancel, the man behind Rayman and Beyond Good & Evil, admits his deepest, darkest secret: he doesn't really like Mario.

A strange sentiment for a developer known mostly for his platformers, a genre utterly dominated, and arguably conceived, by the Mario series. Responding to a statement that the Mario games must have been an inspiration for the Rayman series during an interview with Gamasutra, Ancel said, "As far as I'm concerned, not at all! I will tell you something terrible -- I don't really enjoy playing Mario games. I don't like gliding, I don't like its inertia, and I don't like not being able to give some slaps! It's a fabulous series, and I understand that people love it, but it's not my cup of tea."

Mario is arguably the posterboy for classic game design where raw gameplay always comes before narrative and storytelling, a design philosophy Ancel has claimed is not for him. He went on to name some of the platformers that did inspire Rayman.

"I used to prefer Ghosts n' Goblins, Heart of Darkness, Another World -- games with a focus on the narrative side. Beyond that, I find Mario's controls very interesting, but I don't buy it. I can't help but seeing the ropes of the game, even if it works. The game is thrilling, obviously."

As if he hadn't scored enough credibility points with a Hearts of Darkness reference, he also gushed briefly about Legend of the Mystical Ninja (Goemon in some regions) for the SNES, citing it alongside The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past as one of his game design "models."

Source: Gamasutra

River me a cry.

Edit: That sounded a bit insensitive. It's interesting but not particularly important and that was just my response to the title.

Meh. At least he has a good reason for that, and understands the appeal as opposed to the typical response of "It's soooo kiddy! It's casual! It's the same plot over and over again! It's GAY!" that pretty much every other Mario hater ever uses as their justification.

Ghosts n' Goblins? as in gargoyles quest as well? HELL YES!!!

anyway its ok I dont liek mario eather..in fact I NEVER liked mario..yoshis island will forever be better than mario becuause yoshi is awsome

A man's allowed a valid opinion.

I expected worse. Like "Mario killed my family."

Hmm, oh well. I never really cared for Rayman, myself.

I love both Rayman and Beyond way more than I ever loved Mario. So I agree with the guys points.

WHO IS THIS MONSTER?!
Just kidding, i didn't really like them either.
Now just get back to working on a 3D Rayman like that PS2 title and i'll love you forever.
Also more Beyond Good and Evil :P

I never really liked Mario either

Why is this such a crime?

Poor Mr. Ancel; Mario fanboys are probably sewing a giant scarlet "M" to his chest as we speak......

Somewhere Miyamoto is cutting himself.

Still, it's not like he doesn't have a point. Mario has f--k all in the way of narrative. I mean, yeah yeah, I know, gameplay > plot, but for those that would like some tasty miracle whip on their turkey sandwich that is gaming, the original Mario's can be pretty dry. As for his complaints on the games physics and not being able to punch people, I don't get why those are downsides, but such is life.

Well that's one more thing the Rayman creator and I have in common.

I don't get what the big deal is, I think Mario games are really overrated and a bit on the shallow side. People go nuts for every new iteration but they never add anything new, lol.

I liked Sonic better anyways.

Plus, the last good Mario game in my opinion was Sunshine. Galaxy was just, meh.

I see nothing wrong here. It's not like he openly bashed Mario or acted like he was some plague character stinking up the gaming scene.

He had a legitimate opinion, and even an understanding point of view on it. So he doesn't like Mario. Big deal.

It's not like he even said he hated it, he just said it wasn't his cup of tea. You don't get more polite about it than that.

So what? I don't like Mario either.

...Doesn't like the gliding and inertia. That explains why the jumping in the first Rayman game felt like you were wearing a pair of lead shoes. I mean, I love the Rayman series, but I can't say I've ever fallen through a platform I've jumped towards in a Mario game.

Rayman 2 was awesome, though, so, it's all gravy.

Sizzle Montyjing:
WHO IS THIS MONSTER?!
Just kidding, i didn't really like them either.
Now just get back to working on a 3D Rayman like that PS2 title and i'll love you forever.
Also more Beyond Good and Evil :P

Ha! Considering the latest Rayman game hasn't sold particularly well (read: absolutely fuck all) despite all the acclaim it got, it's unlikely Ubisoft will allow him to crack on with a new Rayman game or a sequel to BG&E (another game which didn't sell).

The man's an absolute design genius, yet for some reason gamers seem to refuse to buy his games. Utterly unfair, but at the same time you can see why Ubisoft would be reluctant to fund a new Beyond Good and Evil game when there's no guarantee it'll sell better than any of his other games. Poor dude's like Tim Schafer: even when gamers are harping on about how underrated and underappreciated he is, they still don't go out and actually buy his games.

...no, I'm not bitter and cynical at all. Why do you ask?

Not big on Mario myself. Played them as a kid but I harbor no nostalgia for the series. I'm a bit more fond of Sonic, though.

How interesting, he shares my exact sentiments about Mario. I also really like pretty much all of the Goemon games. I guess this explains why I like almost all of the games he's made so much.

I really, really wish that new Rayman game and the 3DS port of Rayman 2 (still my favorite 3D platformer) would get Japanese releases so that I could actually buy them.

BX3:
Somewhere Miyamoto is cutting himself.

Still, it's not like he doesn't have a point. Mario has f--k all in the way of narrative. I mean, yeah yeah, I know, gameplay > plot, but for those that would like some tasty miracle whip on their turkey sandwich that is gaming, the original Mario's can be pretty dry. As for his complaints on the games physics and not being able to punch people, I don't get why those are downsides, but such is life.

Problem is, you still need to have good gameplay, otherwise people aren't going to want to suffer through your game for plot. Like Beyond Good And Evil... I tried the demo on XBLA, and the controls were so bad that I couldn't even finish that. First of all, the camera left and right controls are reversed and there's no way to change them back to normal. The button mapping makes no sense either. It reminded me of some of those crappy, clunky early 3D games you would see on the PS1. Good for him if he puts mayo on his turkey sandwiches before serving them, but since he used spoiled meat, there's no way in hell I'm eating it. I'll take the dry sandwich with tasty, fresh meat any day.

skylog:
...Doesn't like the gliding and inertia. That explains why the jumping in the first Rayman game felt like you were wearing a pair of lead shoes. I mean, I love the Rayman series, but I can't say I've ever fallen through a platform I've jumped towards in a Mario game.

Rayman 2 was awesome, though, so, it's all gravy.

Yeah, I have to pretty much agree with everything you just said. The only really fun part of the first Rayman for me was the button that makes you stick your tongue out at everyone. Had a few laughs from it, then after a few levels of actually playing the game, I put it down.

But yeah, Rayman 2 was awesome.

Surprise - a platforming game developer doesn't like a competing popular platforming game. SHOCK! Still, at least he articulated why he doesn't like it (even if its only to emphaise what his game does differently)

As for not delivering BG&E 2 based on Rayman sales - umm apples and oranges. I won't pay $70au for a gaming experience (2d platfroming game) I can get for $20(or less) via PSN/xbox live and $3 (or less) on iOS. I will get it in the new year when its available for about the $40 its worth....

i LOVE you michel ancel. great designer, and i completely agree with him

Oh shit, he used Heart Of Darkness, THE Heart Of Darkness as an inspiration to make Origins ?

You are telling me his mind actually went on from this:

one of the most terrifying games from my childhood, to make THIS ?

These are polar opposites when it comes to setting and mood, why the fuck haven't I bought this yet ?

He doesn't like Mario ? There's another surprise. It comes to personal preference but still a surprise. At least he uses arguments as to why he doesn't prefer it.

mjc0961:
Problem is, you still need to have good gameplay, otherwise people aren't going to want to suffer through your game for plot. Like Beyond Good And Evil... I tried the demo on XBLA, and the controls were so bad that I couldn't even finish that. First of all, the camera left and right controls are reversed and there's no way to change them back to normal. The button mapping makes no sense either. It reminded me of some of those crappy, clunky early 3D games you would see on the PS1.

Interesting. There's an option to change the camera controls in the settings menu, just went and checked it. As for the button configuration, I never had an issue with it, and I'm fincky about my controls. Different strokes, I guess.

martintox:
I liked Sonic better anyways.

Plus, the last good Mario game in my opinion was Sunshine. Galaxy was just, meh.

Ah, you haven't played Super Mario 3D Land! I think you would agree that it's a return to form.

Which ties into the actual topic: Everyone has different tastes, as Michel himself points out here. He doesn't dislike the Mario series-- he KNOWS it's actually pretty great-- it's just not his cup of tea. And he makes solid points. If I have one complaint against Super Mario 3D Land, it's that the lack of a story feels more like an editorial mandate than a natural part of the game. I keep hoping for a little more of a narrative, but it doesn't happen. Ironically, the Super Mario Galaxy games had the same problem!!

Fair do's, Mario and I haven't agreed very much since the Gameboy Era...
Sonic and I parted ways with the death of the Dreamcast... We've only just started peace negotiations again...

Rayman kind of picked up where those two left off and I remember crying from frustration in the ...Pencil land or whatever it was themed around erasers, pencils and art... when I got there I just used to break down. Otherwise Rayman and Crash Bandicoot was what kept me interested in the platformer, it's when it started that dangerous 3D game - Bullshit story - abusive substance that big brother Sonic was self destructing over, that Rayman lost his charm.

But sorry Dude, if Origins is good I'll pick it up later down the line for now, Ubisoft will stay in the naughty chair, if I could pay you for it without paying them that'd be nice.

Can't be on board with this because Mario makes fun games with fantastic level design and great controls. Can't be playing a Mario game and not smile while its going on, I feel like I am 10 years old again when games were bursting with imagination.

Can be truthful, Mario Galaxy basically bitched slapped all other 3D platformers and proved to me once again that Mario is the classiest mother fucker in the room.

I salute you sir for the gaul of saying that in the face of Nintendo fanboys around the world. Still, I don't mind it that much as a portable game. You really only need 2 buttons for it mostly.

I love Mario games, and from what I've seen of Rayman Origins, I'm really excited to pick it up. It's this kind of attitude that makes me want to play both; if he was in love with Mario his games would be weak imitations of them rather than a nice complement.

He's allowed his opinion.
I am, however, also allowed an opinion, and that opinion is that Beyond Good And Evil was a boring tedious chore to play that I couldn't make it through more than a few hours of before wanting to projectile vomit.

Rayman was good tho.

I love how so many people are sitting here stroking their beards and saying "hmm, well, yes, the man has his opinion, we shall let him be." Because, you know, that's constructive.

Anywho, Mario and Ancel's creations are like New York Thin-Crust and Chicago Deep-Dish Pizza: both fantastic, but for very different reasons, and truth be told rather incomparable (despite both being bracketed as platformers or pizzas).

I never really found the worlds Mario inhabited terribly compelling, but the game play is always and consistently top-notch, which makes for a great experience. You can't NOT have the world of Goombas, Pipes, Koopas, etc., but, outside of brand identification, the game wouldn't be dramatically different if it were a man in space jumping on moon trees to save his co-pilot from a giant termite. In short, the visual elements of Mario's world are relegated to the status of iconic, which is fine, but places damn near 100% of the game's emphasis solely on game play.

Ancel's products, on the other hand, weave game play in with all of the other elements of the game: music, visuals, aesthetic, story, delivery, etc. It is a more "total" experience, in a sense: whereas a Mario game's strength lies in how the game plays, Rayman and BG&E rely on everything working, arguable in concert. Now, Ancel's games don't always show the same level of tightness in play mechanics a Mario game will, but you are inherently getting a totally different experience from Rayman than Mario. It's just as much about the music and the monsters in Rayman as it is the platforming.

Again, both hold very special places in my heart, just for different reasons. I can understand Ancel finding Mario unappealing, because he sees (and makes) games in a very different manner than Mario games are made.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here