"Fake" Tourist Trap Skeletons Found To Be Real

"Fake" Tourist Trap Skeletons Found To Be Real

It turns out that a presumed-to-be-fake human skeleton that's been on display at the London Dungeon for more than 35 years is actually the real thing.

If you've ever visited the London Dungeon tourist attraction, which according to Wikipedia "recreates various gory and macabre historical events in a grimly comedic 'gallows humor' style," you've probably laid your eyes on a skeleton or two in some of its many displays. And you probably assumed, if you put any thought into it at all, that it was fake. And in at least one case - possibly two - you'd be wrong.

A partial human skeleton, consisting mainly of a ribcage and spine, that's been on display since 1975 was recently found to be the real thing. Bill Edwards, the medical museum curator at Guy's Hospital, thinks they were wired together back in the 1950s and says there might actually be another real skeleton on display as well. "I need to go back and examine that one more closely when the Dungeon team can get it down from the wall," he told the BBC. "But from what I could see, it looks either human, or a combination of some human and some artificial parts."

The skeletons could date back hundreds of years to the early days of anatomical research, according to London Dungeon Operations Manager Catherine Pritchard. "We have no idea where they originally came from, but suspected they might date back to... when bodies were regularly smuggled in from the Far East for dissection," she said.

They were originally meant to be moved to the attraction's annual "Satan's Grotto" display later this month but will now be replaced by genuine fakes. The skeletons may actually remain on view, however, but it will be expensive; the London Dungeon will have to pay more than $3100 per year to the Tissues Authority - yes, the U.K. apparently has a "Tissues Authority" - to keep them on display.

via: Boing Boing

Mind-screw?

Anyway.... wow? Really. That is a bit dumb. A janitor could have damaged it or something, under the assumption it was just plastic and not really a dead guy/gal

Pics or it didn't happen. Wait, here they are....
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-16037506a

Andy Chalk:
<
If you've ever visited the London Dungeon tourist attraction, which according to Wikipedia "recreates various gory and macabre historical events in a grimly comedic 'gallows humor' style,"

I have. And it really doesn't.

It's quite fun, especially because they understand hecklers, but the National War Museum is better.

vrbtny:
Mind-screw?

Anyway.... wow? Really. That is a bit dumb. A janitor could have damaged it or something, under the assumption it was just plastic and not really a dead guy/gal

I dont think anyone else would have cared if someone didnt say these may be real.

OT: A tissue authority doesnt sound all that strange really. really the only thing out of the ordinary was that this didnt come from North Korea

The Tissue Authority sounds like something that polices the habits of teenage boys alone in their rooms.

I'm so sorry.

O_o Iv been to it before wow no wonder they had a diffrent look to em

Its nice to see UK attractions going for realism in this age of CG effects.

Andy Chalk:
The skeletons may actually remain on view, however, but it will be expensive; the London Dungeon will have to pay more than $3100 per year to the Tissues Authority - yes, the U.K. apparently has a "Tissues Authority" - to keep them on display.

And you guys don't? I suppose its one of those things that you need, but no-one ever really thinks about.

Best way to hide a body, ever.

Okay, in seriousness, I'm wondering how they missed this for so long. I mean, I didn't think that the stuff they made fake skeletons out of was that similar to the real thing. Especially back then. Then again, I don't exactly know a damn thing about fake bones. I don't think I've ever been to this kind of thing before anyway... Or any kind of amusement park... or even a roller coaster...

Okay, now I'm just getting way off topic. I'll just leave with my original comment. Best way to hide a body, ever.

I think I have heard about this kind of thing happening before (I read it in a Cracked article) but instead of a skeleton, it was the whole body of a deceased train-robber used as a prop.

OT: That's pretty cool, I wish I could have gone.

If there's one thing we can do it's tax a bitch.

Eh, I live near the London Dungeon and Guy's and my flat has a partial human skeleton under the kitchen sink.

Not joking, the flat anatomy student means we have a skeleton in the closet!

Why the hell would they have broadcast this if it means they get taxed? Also, on what authority does this "Tissues Commission" have to tax them? It's just bones.

We've all got to earn ourselves a living
All it takes is a little bit of digging
By a resurrectionist

(We don't bring them back to life, but we do bring them back from the dead.)

- Pet Shop Boys, The Resurrectionists

I have a custom made t-shirt featuring a tombstone with a shovel against it and the word "RESURRECTIONIST". No one gets it.

I saw this exhibit. Didn't know they were actual dead bodies.

Now I'm getting a Silent Hill 3 "Funhouse" feeling where I couldn't tell which dead bodies were real or fake!

A little harsh to call the london dungeon a tourist trap Andy...

Beats spending 3 hours in a queue to see a bunch of wax figures of "celebrities"... Madame Tussade's, now thats a tourist trap.

JaredXE:
Why the hell would they have broadcast this if it means they get taxed? Also, on what authority does this "Tissues Commission" have to tax them? It's just bones.

Under UK law (Human Tissues Act 2004) you need a license to publicly display human tissues, and the Human Tissue Authority is the government organisation which distributes those licenses. I'm a medical student, we covered that in some detail.

JaredXE:

Maybe there's a necrophiliac on the staff who's getting thru a lot of them?

Also, "will now be replaced by genuine fakes." did make me smile.

LavaLampBamboo:
The Tissue Authority sounds like something that polices the habits of teenage boys alone in their rooms.

I'm so sorry.

No, that would be the church ;)

0_0 Holy cow that's just plain creepy.

Also, what's this about "bodies that used to be smuggled in from the far east to dissection"?! ...Ewwwww....that's just not right...

Well, whatever. Water under the bridge and all that.

I know at least one stupid kid got dared into liking it, would love to see their faces.

Andy Chalk:

They were originally meant to be moved to the attraction's annual "Satan's Grotto" display later this month but will now be replaced by genuine fakes.

Am I the only one who lol'd at the term "genuine fakes?"

Replaced with genuine fakes....

Not many people have said that and been correct.

Huh, a Tissues Authority...
I wonder if Spain has a version that handles the grave plot leases.

Don't complain about working there or you end up as part of the displays!

The_root_of_all_evil:

Andy Chalk:
<
If you've ever visited the London Dungeon tourist attraction, which according to Wikipedia "recreates various gory and macabre historical events in a grimly comedic 'gallows humor' style,"

I have. And it really doesn't.

It's quite fun, especially because they understand hecklers, but the National War Museum is better.

Yea it's kind of fun but pretty corny. I had been to London a bunch of times before my brother in law dragged me there. We had to go to the London Eye (which looked like it was being held together with duct tape) and the Millennium Dome too.

Wasn't there an episode of Bones that was like this? With a real body in a corn maze?

I'll have to contact the "Tissues Authority" and see if I can donate my body to the London Dungeon instead of science. I bet they'd pay more.

JaredXE:

Since when has any government let common sense dissuade them from raking the taxpayers over the coals?

Reminds me of the body of that old West outlaw that was discovered hanging up in someone's funhouse somewhere. Elmer McCurdy... that was the body's name. And all because he died without money to pay his burial fee and nobody showed up to claim the corpse. And it was found when the funhouse was set to be used on the Six Million Dollar Man, and the director didn't think the corpse looked real enough, so he asked for it to be moved. When a crew member went to move it, the arm snapped off, revealing a real bone.

So, no matter how weird you think your life is, Elmer McCurdy has you beat by a long shot!

FAKE AND GA- Oh.

Hopefully they keep the skeleton up though I expect we'll see a few complaints from 'concerned parents' about it.

The skeleton should recieve some sort of award for loyalty, he's been working there all his death after all.

This actually happens more often than you think.

Mainly because most of these carnival-gear-things get sold and bought used. Nobody wants to buy them brand new, because it tends to make them look less scary.

Kinda like rugged jeans. You know, except for the moral dilemma of exploiting someones corpse for profit.

Even though it's been almost 10 years since, I still remember my trip to the London Dungeon. There were definitely a few unnerving parts, like the walk-through medieval town sacking and the segment about Jack the Ripper. I did like how they shattered the fourth wall in parts.

And no, it's not surprising at all that they'd havean actual skeleton or two hanging around in there. Gallows humor!

Ickorus:
snip

That's a clever avatar you've got. I brushed at my screen when I saw it, thinking a bug was on the monitor.

well, it's not surprising we had to deploy the warlock division when someone found real ectoplasm in a haunted house it was over £30 for them to clear it up
( that's roughly a billion us dollars )

we have proper procedure for everything in the uk, after all
it was probably even signed off for by the queen while she was flying around mars in her nuclear powered private stealth plane

just so it conforms to regulation bs dkp6781-3456(q)
this post was provided for hyperbolas reasons only.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here