Epic Games Unveils Fortnite

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

SteelStallion:

TheDooD:

SteelStallion:

I don't really know what to say, you're just repeating yourself and I don't really get your argument that "it's unfair because it's another zombie game". Like I said, we know nothing about the game yet and you're just dismissing it because you don't like Epic Games apparently.

Well alright, have it your way. Just know that you'll be missing a lot of games with that attitude. :)

It's not like I have all the money and time in the world to play every game so why should I care about every game before it comes out. If it seems like shit to me before it comes out that's another game I don't have to deal with. I have to pick and choose. So I skip everything I don't like and only play games that I really want to play.

Also people do choose not to play games because of a studio / publisher. I refuse to play anything from EA and Activision now. Epic games was a joke since Gears 2 I'm sorry.

All I'm saying is that you're dismissing the game based off of a teaser trailer, which is really foolish.

I done that with DmC and look how poor the management is turning out on that game. They have no idea if they want it to be apart of the real time line or not. With more recent looks it still doesn't impress. Overall if a TEASER trailer fails to get you hype it's not worth it.

Programmed_For_Damage:
Have the people who have been slagging off Gears of War games for being grey/brown actually played Gears 3 all the way through? I think they actually went out of their way to boost the colour factor in that one.

This.

I really dislike it when people refuse a game some credit or even some damn playtime just because they don't have the most varied color palette. Any one of those people ever consider that there was a reason for dull, dreary aesthetic?

Now...back on track. The trailer looks interesting, I'd love to see more in terms of gameplay, and knowing Epic, this should turn out pretty good.

Andy Chalk:
The Fortnite teaser has a definite Team Fortress 2 vibe and indicates that the game will involve fortress building by day and fortress defense by night. So there you go - what do you think?

I expect that I'm going to love this if it's what I think it is. Minecraft meets TF2 meets GOW's horde mode? Sign me up.

Mortis Nuncius:

Programmed_For_Damage:
Have the people who have been slagging off Gears of War games for being grey/brown actually played Gears 3 all the way through? I think they actually went out of their way to boost the colour factor in that one.

This.

I really dislike it when people refuse a game some credit or even some damn playtime just because they don't have the most varied color palette. Any one of those people ever consider that there was a reason for dull, dreary aesthetic?

Now...back on track. The trailer looks interesting, I'd love to see more in terms of gameplay, and knowing Epic, this should turn out pretty good.

I really dislike when people refuse to play something with the expectation that they know it for sure by it's reputation. Especially when it's a skewed one drawn up by detractors at that.

TheDooD:

SteelStallion:

TheDooD:

It's not like I have all the money and time in the world to play every game so why should I care about every game before it comes out. If it seems like shit to me before it comes out that's another game I don't have to deal with. I have to pick and choose. So I skip everything I don't like and only play games that I really want to play.

Also people do choose not to play games because of a studio / publisher. I refuse to play anything from EA and Activision now. Epic games was a joke since Gears 2 I'm sorry.

All I'm saying is that you're dismissing the game based off of a teaser trailer, which is really foolish.

I done that with DmC and look how poor the management is turning out on that game. They have no idea if they want it to be apart of the real time line or not. With more recent looks it still doesn't impress. Overall if a TEASER trailer fails to get you hype it's not worth it.

That's not true at all, one case doesn't make a trend. DmC's teaser was terrible, and then the gameplay revealed was also really lackluster.

Overall if you base a game off its teaser trailer you're just a fool for marketing. Any lack luster title with good marketing can hook you in for an otherwise terrible game, and conversely any game with poor marketing but a solid development team might make a title that you would have otherwise enjoyed but missed out on because of first impressions you got off a teaser trailer.

That being said, there is nothing wrong with Fortnite's trailer and personally I, and many others in this thread apparently, are very interested in what Epic is cooking up. This is getting redundant and I find it difficult to argue with someone who dances around the same point in circles foolishly so this will be my last reply, but know that you should change your attitude my friend or you'll miss out on some great things.

good day :)

Trailer did nothing to interest me. Might look at the game again when more is known... but might not because I'm biased against Epic.

Sure, this looks good. After seeing gameplay, I might buy it.

Im a sucker for Survival games.

For everybody mentioning GoW Horde mode; in UT 2004 (and later UT3) the mod was called Invasion. Whatever the graphics look like this sounds like it could be fun. I can see sp, coop and versus modes (where you build, and take turns defending and attacking as the zombies)...

Honestly this could become the zombie game I have been waiting for. I am tired of games where I am just trying to survive the day or even the week. I want to plan out how to survive the long term. A lot of things need to go right for it to work and while I don't have any issues with the graphics if they try to make the gameplay simplistic and to arcade-y then it will turn into a trumped up flash game. I hope it goes right.

Sorry Epic Games, I think Brawl Busters kinda beat you to the punchline...other than the fortress-building thing.

I find it interesting that this is what "big commercial companies" take away from Minecraft: They find a halfway point between the survival half of Minecraft and the games they were already doing.

Q: What about the exploration/adventure/accomplishment? Does that matter to you, Cliff B? Or are you completely incapable of designing/understanding a game mechanic that does not involve combat?

Just wondering...

omicron1:
I find it interesting that this is what "big commercial companies" take away from Minecraft: They find a halfway point between the survival half of Minecraft and the games they were already doing.

Q: What about the exploration/adventure/accomplishment? Does that matter to you, Cliff B? Or are you completely incapable of designing/understanding a game mechanic that does not involve combat?

Just wondering...

Cliff Bleszinski, Epic's design director, said during the show that Epic wanted to "switching things up a little bit and do something different and fun" with Fortnite, describing it as "a world where you explore, you scavenge, you build and ultimate you survive."

Explore, scavenge, build... That sounds exactly like exploration/adventure/accomplishment.

Geo Da Sponge:

omicron1:

Just wondering...

Cliff Bleszinski, Epic's design director, said during the show that Epic wanted to "switching things up a little bit and do something different and fun" with Fortnite, describing it as "a world where you explore, you scavenge, you build and ultimate you survive."

Explore, scavenge, build... That sounds exactly like exploration/adventure/accomplishment.

That sounds exactly like fetch-quests on a day/night timer. When do I get to wander off into the sunset and build my junk fortress safely on an island somewhere?

Kevlar Eater:
When I saw the name Cliff Bleszinski, all of my interest in the game instantly disappeared. Gods, I hate that douchenozzle.

And you are not alone in that hate. As far as I'm concerned, Epic Games decline in quality began when that ass-hat took over as design lead. His idea of adding personality to a character is to make them bigger, beefer, attach a bunch of football-esque armor plates/pads/spikes to them, and then make them growl a lot. Occasionally tossing in some lines of dialog about missing one's wife or something.

Not surprising, as before he became design lead he was responsible for making and designing some of the very worst maps in Unreal Tournament and Unreal Tournament 2004.

omicron1:

Geo Da Sponge:

omicron1:

Just wondering...

That sounds exactly like fetch-quests on a day/night timer. When do I get to wander off into the sunset and build my junk fortress safely on an island somewhere?

Okay, now you're just making assumptions. You want something, the dev promises it, and you just stick your nose in the air and tell them there's no way they could do it right. Is there anything they could say that would satisfy you?

I mean, obviously the game isn't going to be as free-world as Minecraft is, but that can also be said of pretty much every other game ever made.

Geo Da Sponge:

omicron1:

Geo Da Sponge:

Okay, now you're just making assumptions. You want something, the dev promises it, and you just stick your nose in the air and tell them there's no way they could do it right. Is there anything they could say that would satisfy you?

I mean, obviously the game isn't going to be as free-world as Minecraft is, but that can also be said of pretty much every other game ever made.

I like something and think it's revolutionary; the dev, attempting to make lightning strike twice, reproduces the half I like less while ignoring the half I like more, and I'm supposed to be grateful for the courtesy?

Waiter! More Terraria, if you please! With a side of Wurm Online!

omicron1:

Geo Da Sponge:

omicron1:

I like something and think it's revolutionary; the dev, attempting to make lightning strike twice, reproduces the half I like less while ignoring the half I like more, and I'm supposed to be grateful for the courtesy?

Grateful? No, you're just supposed to actually give them a chance before smugly dismissing their work. Especially when you're making very specific assumptions about how the exploration gameplay will function.

Geo Da Sponge:

omicron1:

Geo Da Sponge:

Grateful? No, you're just supposed to actually give them a chance before smugly dismissing their work. Especially when you're making very specific assumptions about how the exploration gameplay will function.

Ok, then. Wake me in a year or so, so I can resume making snobby videogame-connoisseur critiques, please?

It sounds like it could be fun! I will be keeping an eye on that one! One thing though, what has 'two weeks' got to do with it? Is that how long you will have to survive?

omicron1:

Geo Da Sponge:

omicron1:

Ok, then. Wake me in a year or so, so I can resume making snobby videogame-connoisseur critiques, please?

But of course, and at that point I'll most likely join you in that. Still, we'll see eh?

Actually looks good, or at least like it has the potential to be good.

Well, it can't be worse than Gears. :P

I see someone got the same idea after watching I Am Legend :D
However this is Epic, the current record holders of dull and dreary... I really can't see them making something fun.

Looks alright, the cartoony graphics may detract from the "scary" atmoshpere, if that's even what they are going for.

Why are everyone comparing this to minecraft? In minecraft you build using blocks of stone and dirt, not stop signs.

Reion 13:
Why are everyone comparing this to minecraft? In minecraft you build using blocks of stone and dirt, not stop signs.

Because now, if you have any sort of building in a game it's automatically Minecraft related.

Aprilgold:
Little late to say but cue all the whining about zombie games. Sure, nobody complains about the 90,000 generic war shooters copying off of CoD and Battlefield, or 20,000 Generic Fantasy Games, or 10,000 peggle rip offs, or the 1,000 Tower Defense rip offs this year. All anybody ever complains about is the un-dead. Sure I'm exaggerating numbers here but thats the whole market at the minute. Seriously, whenever this comes up I always say the same thing, there are not all the games that are strictly DEDICATED to zombies, but have zombie MODES in them.

A big example is Call of Duties Zombie mode, its not a game in and of itself, its a mini game. Or the Saints Row Zombie game, its a mini game, not a game. The only big Zombie release I remember from this year is Dead Island, which sucked major balls to the PC audience.

If we want to get down to it, there are plenty of games that have zombies or variants, such as the Dragur from Skyrim, those are technically zombies.

Main point, there aren't as many Zombie Dedicated Games out there as there are Zombies IN a game.

Heres a list of games that have zombies / Zombie dedicated games, its missing some, but its worth a look:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_zombie_video_games

Yeah, this.
I always laugh when people claim the zombie market is 'oversaturated' when, like you said, there are other genres coming in by the dozen.
Even if you were to count Saints Row/CoD zombie modes as games, them plus Dead Island and Dead Rising: Off The Record brings the total number of zombie games to a whopping four.
Compared to the innumerable shooters and RPGs this year, I think the amount of zombie-ness is fine, especially when things like Dead Island end up being poor games.

OT: I think Fortnite looks awesome. Reminds me of Plants VS Zombies.
I always wanted a game where your goal is to build your defenses against zombies, instead of going out and killing them like in Dead Rising/Island.
Plus the graphical style looks brilliant.

ooooo! I'm a sucker for a zombie game, and especially a zombie defense game ^^

TheDooD:
Epic is just shining shit so they won't get called out for making another brown game.

Called out by who? Stop talking shit lol, your little opinion is worth fuck all compared to the fact that Gears is one of the biggest franchises of this generation, an iconic one at that, and a very profitable one thats been generally critically very well recieved. Hipster kids here bitch about colours like they know what the fuck they're talking about. Yeah, the palette was slightly limited by the fact that the game had to primarily remain loyal to it's setting, which is primarily underground, but it's a well utilised palette that compliments the physical design choices and general asthetic of the world. But oh wait, what am I telling you these things for, I'll bet someone who has a developed and proud acumen for art knows all this.

You also got a range of environments; subterranean castles, desert fortresses, giant ass worms, underwater combat with Leviathans, riding on living hot air balloons and giant flying bugs, comandeering a fuckin BRUMAK... I could go on man.

I don't give a fuck about not fitting in with the scene kids and Croshaw followers around here, I just wish people would stop reciting complete tripe like it's their own view on things.

SteelStallion:

To quote a phrase i coined during the hype for Halo : Reach.

T.O.A.S.T.

Totally. Over. Analyzing. Short. Trailers

That looks funny.
Give out more information and I might be interested.

Tin Man:

TheDooD:
Epic is just shining shit so they won't get called out for making another brown game.

Called out by who? Stop talking shit lol, your little opinion is worth fuck all compared to the fact that Gears is one of the biggest franchises of this generation, an iconic one at that, and a very profitable one thats been generally critically very well recieved. Hipster kids here bitch about colours like they know what the fuck they're talking about. Yeah, the palette was slightly limited by the fact that the game had to primarily remain loyal to it's setting, which is primarily underground, but it's a well utilised palette that compliments the physical design choices and general asthetic of the world. But oh wait, what am I telling you these things for, I'll bet someone who has a developed and proud acumen for art knows all this.

You also got a range of environments; subterranean castles, desert fortresses, giant ass worms, underwater combat with Leviathans, riding on living hot air balloons and giant flying bugs, comandeering a fuckin BRUMAK... I could go on man.

I don't give a fuck about not fitting in with the scene kids and Croshaw followers around here, I just wish people would stop reciting complete tripe like it's their own view on things.

Gears got VERY lucky this generation. I played the first game and 2nd game, skipped the 3rd because I didn't want to play it anymore. Yet overall the shooting and the movement stayed clunky throughout the series. Then the story gone from decent to in the shitter. Even if everything around you was highly detailed you really can't look at because of the crap camera and color palette. It's one of those titles that I just couldn't get into like it did with other. I love military based IP's yet Gears just never hit me as a quality one. I'll rather have Gears be something more akin to the cheesy Starship Troopers Movies. Then the shoehorned depth and emotional content they failed to deliver.

TheDooD:

Gears got VERY lucky this generation. I played the first game and 2nd game, skipped the 3rd because I didn't want to play it anymore. Yet overall the shooting and the movement stayed clunky throughout the series. Then the story gone from decent to in the shitter. Even if everything around you was highly detailed you really can't look at because of the crap camera and color palette. It's one of those titles that I just couldn't get into like it did with other. I love military based IP's yet Gears just never hit me as a quality one. I'll rather have Gears be something more akin to the cheesy Starship Troopers Movies. Then the shoehorned depth and emotional content they failed to deliver.

Now THAT is a view I can't have any quarrel with =]. I may have come across as a bit of a gears fanboy, and I'm really not, it's just that the most common gripe of it is one that doesn't even really hold up when you take a look at the colour outside of a vacuum and consider the choices... But anyway, I digress. I'm not saying you or anyone should love Gears. But I can't agree more the the Starship troopers thing. To be honest, at times it FELT like the kind of high-camp marine combat tomfoolery to play, but then there would be a moment when the people that not 5 minutes ago were cleaving things in half and screaming 'come onnnnn!!!!!' to a fisty-pump soundtrack while blazing massive guns, are all of a sudden all teary eyed and introspective and considering the horror, misery and bleakness of their situation. Then straight back to the 'KILL EM ALL!!!!'. I get that it was supposed to be Cliffy B showing off how grown up and mature they could be, but Gears isn't the arena to express that lol.

This games premise looks pure awesome!

I also love all the jaded kiddos who whine about how unoriginal it is, I would love to see more fort defense mainstream games that don't suck, and there aren't that many zombie games so get off your damn high horses about zombies, they are interesting enemies and not that over done for fucks sake!

lRookiel:
ooooo! I'm a sucker for a zombie game, and especially a zombie defense game ^^

Amen to that!

Dear Americans

Fortnight*

That is all.

OT: looks like it could be a fun concept.

I instantly love it.
I mean, I know nothing about it, but I do get this feeling that it might be super fun!

I really am glad that big game companies like Bungie, Epic Games and Bioware are showing self control and not milking their franchises to death...too bad OTHER companies are doing it now, but at least they're moving on to make something new.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.