Google Street View Now an FPS - UPDATED

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Google Street View Now an FPS - UPDATED

A Dutch ad firm has decided to add the only thing Google Street View was missing; an M4A1 assault rifle.

In Google Shoot View, players can explore a selection of areas culled from Google's collection of midly intrusive Street View photographs; taking in the sights and murdering everything they come across. Well ... kind of. There's no actual death animations, blood, or anything that indicates your virtual bullets are having any effect whatsoever; as I found to my disappointment when I attempted to subject the Escapist offices to a hail of assault rifle fire.

The game was developed by Pool, a "creative agency" with a list of clients that include Greenpeace and GPS navigation giant TomTom. According to the company website, Pool "produces campaigns that tap into the digital zeitgeist, creating waves in the process." I imagine Shoot View will indeed create waves, giant Daily-Mail-Headline-shaped ones. Pool has taken steps to protect themselves from the obvious fallout, however. Shoot View's locations are limited to city and town centers; searching for 'school' or 'hospital' brings up an error message, and players attempting to navigate to said areas, like, say, to nab a screenshot that will look just lovely on the front page of a newspaper, will quickly find their route blocked. That being said, the people photographed in Google Street View did not consent to have their picture taken, and they certainly didn't agree to have their likenesses used as targets in a tasteless virtual shooting gallery. Lawsuits, ho!

UPDATE: According to the Shoot View website, Google has got wind of the game and has cut off its access to the Street View API, effectively shutting it down. Pool promises the game will return.

My dad is somewhere on Google Street View.

Probably best I not tell him about this, then...

Anyone else find this absolutely hilarious in a slightly morbid and somewhat creepy fashion?

Grey Carter:
There's no actual death animations, blood, or anything that indicates your virtual bullets are having any effect whatsoever; as I found to my disappointment when I attempted to subject the Escapist offices to a hail of assault rifle fire.

Well it does look like there's an RPG being fired from an upstairs window...

Is that a street view thing or a shoot view thing?

Amazing, perfect way to unwind after a really shitty day.

i think they need to do some more work on it, i just navigated my way to my local school just fine

I thought it was a downloabale thingy where you can literally walk around on Google Earth and shoot people, but that's good too.

Grey Carter:
"produces campaigns that tap into the digital zeitgeist, creating waves in the process."

Hey, you just got marketing wank all over my screen! *GLARE*

Is it bad the first place i wanted to shoot up was my university?

I mean come ON.. its not like im training to be a terrorist or anything lol

Il just go shoot up my parents house instead..

Do you have a name or contact details for this "Lawsuits Ho"?

The server keeps rejecting me access for some reason. It says something about some sensor parameter that must be set to true or false :(

Xan Krieger:
The server keeps rejecting me access for some reason. It says something about some sensor parameter that must be set to true or false :(

Sadly, I get the same thing.

Woodsey:
Do you have a name or contact details for this "Lawsuits Ho"?

Just next to Capitalism Ho. in Carpe Fulgur.

I found the dubstep far more disturbing than the gun.

meowchef:

Xan Krieger:

http://www.poolworldwide.com/shootview

The link in the post is incorrect...

"midly intrusive Street View photographs"

Intrusive into what? Public space?

devilmore:

meowchef:

Xan Krieger:

get the same error with that link.

Korten12:

devilmore:

meowchef:

Link in the post is just fine, the site keeps on going up and down. You're not missing much though.

RagTagBand:

Some guy in Australia sued Google because he was sunbathing naked in his (fenced) backyard, but he showed up on Google Earth. Don't know how that lawsuit turned out, though.

Grey Carter:

Korten12:

devilmore:

Link in the post is just fine, the site keeps on going up and down. You're not missing much though.

I did get to use it for like 2 minutes during which I shot up the escapist office then ran down the street.

It has the Inception "BWAM"! This is legit!

*serious face*

This is a rather intriguing idea. (Damn, unintended reference). Thing is, what's the point of putting a gun in it if the bullets do nothing? Well yeah, there's the risk of the moral guardians getting on their high horses, but when has that ever stopped anyone?

shadyh8er:
It has the Inception "BWAM"! This is legit!

*serious face*

This is a rather intriguing idea. (Damn, unintended reference). Thing is, what's the point of putting a gun in it if the bullets do nothing? Well yeah, there's the risk of the moral guardians getting on their high horses, but when has that ever stopped anyone?

I suspect not having the bullets do anything is more because it would take an enormous amount of work to implement and less because of any fear of outrage.

In fact, getting a charge out of the moral guardian household cavalry is probably the entire purpose of this video.

Agayek:
Anyone else find this absolutely hilarious in a slightly morbid and somewhat creepy fashion?

Yo.

A little scary, but mostly the above.

If it comes back up later, anybody up for a little..."occupation" of Wall Street?

Yanno.. considering we just had a guy go on a 70+ kill streak in Oslo this past summer who admittedly used MW2 as a kind of training simulator, somehow I REALLY think this is a bad idea waiting to happen.

I hope I am wrong.

Stalking 1 step easier thanks to Google

DVS BSTrD:

It was aping Battlefield 3 and MW3.

This is a really cool idea. I don't know about the gun but honestly, just walking around in the streets using a computer and satellite technology is both futuristic and unfortunately, useless without proper content filling the streets and such, or at least the ability to find other players. The gun would become a cool idea if it was widely multiplayer; famous monuments like the Eiffel Tower could be traveled to immediately for a huge deathmatch, or you could find your old childhood home and maybe find someone else there.

Basically if this was multiplayer it would be really cool.

Alexnader:

DVS BSTrD:

Mainly BF3. Isn't the gun and hand ripped directly from BF3?

GreatTeacherCAW:

Alexnader:

DVS BSTrD:

Mainly BF3. Isn't the gun and hand ripped directly from BF3?

Yes it is, however only the first and last 10 seconds of music is from BF3. The weird tone they play to go with the "really really fucking big stuff" stuff is from the MW3 trailers.

That's tasteless and kinda disturbing.

Then again, I guess it would be rather cathartic to wreck havoc on your place of employment...

Much as I am one to support all things gaming, this has a lot of demented written all over it. Points for trying to keep schools and hospitals out of the crosshairs, but I have to wonder if these people actually used Google streetview and know how inaccurate the street numbers are. They will probably do a fine job of protecting the neighbors a block down, but still leave schools in open view.
Besides the copyright and trademark infringements using someone else's property for a game, this is just laziness. They should start with GTAIV streetview(Yes, somebody actually went and Google Streetviewed the streets of Liberty City) and see how that gets received before using something that involves the homes and workplaces of REAL PEOPLE. Much as I am not fond of my workplace, I don't need the thought of some kid or drugged up psychopath hitting it up virtually, getting the thought of how much more fun it might be to just do it for real. When you think about it, this really does cross the line.

Kopikatsu:

RagTagBand:

Some guy in Australia sued Google because he was sunbathing naked in his (fenced) backyard, but he showed up on Google Earth. Don't know how that lawsuit turned out, though.

You should see the shots that have been popping up on Imgur showing prostitutes picking up clients, as well as a lady standing starkers outside her front door. I think she was actually posing for the Google ride. Those have since been blurred out on the streetview.

BabyRaptor:

Then again, I guess it would be rather cathartic to wreck havoc on your place of employment...

No, no it wouldn't. Unless you hate every single person there, it will stick with you. If you hate every single person there, why in the hell are you still there? Better to find another job, and leave that one for someone else who doesn't even have one right now.

samsonguy920:

BabyRaptor:

No, no it wouldn't. Unless you hate every single person there, it will stick with you. If you hate every single person there, why in the hell are you still there? Better to find another job, and leave that one for someone else who doesn't even have one right now.

I live in the US, where there the job/applicant ratio is currently about 1:5. I'm lucky to have a job at all, no matter how much I may hate it.

Maybe you live somewhere where simply deciding to go find another job is plausible, but...That's not my reality.

BabyRaptor:

samsonguy920:

BabyRaptor:

I live in the US, where there the job/applicant ratio is currently about 1:5. I'm lucky to have a job at all, no matter how much I may hate it.

Maybe you live somewhere where simply deciding to go find another job is plausible, but...That's not my reality.

Ah... Yes. Job figures. You get so much pressure put on you to find a job, but in a welfare state you can for some time at least not bother.

But... People will complain about you if you do...
Question is, are there actual jobs about?

Turns out, going through the UK figures, if you take the number of job vacancies, and compare it to the official unemployment figures, you end up with 5 people for every vacancy.

If you add in the additional people on disability and other benefits (who they keep saying should be 'encouraged' to get a job too.), this becomes something like 15 people to every vacancy.

Add in working age adults who don't work and aren't looking (eg. Housewives and the like), and you reach 20 to 1 or worse.

Yeah... And people go around acting as if finding work is trivial... >_>

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or