Behold the Skyrim Online Mod

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Bethesda should definitely try and make this official. I would start playing Skyrim in a heartbeat if it was co-op.

Greg Tito:
But honestly, I'm not sure that I would want multiplayer clogging up my Skyrim What do you guys think? Would you download a multiplayer mod? Should Bethesda include multiplayer in their Elder Scroll games or is singleplayer enough for you?

Greg, that's the beauty of mods. You choose whether or not you want them installed.

Wow, that's a lot of future guardsmen...

I've said it before and I'll say it again - I've had enough run-ins with loot-hoarding thieving buggers in Baldur's Gate and Diablo to have been totally put off the idea of multiplayer RPGs. Thank God this is only a mod, because if Bethesda had decided to actually build this into the game proper that would have been enough to turn me off Skyrim completely.

Seems like a good idea...However it's only good if it remains unofficial otherwise it would radically undermine how the game is designed.

While I'm severely annoyed by the always-present multiplayer in modern day games, a nice Co-op option in Skyrim wouldn't be a bad addition.

Even if a Skyrim or Fallout wouldn't make a perfect transit into a co-op or MMO game I'd still love to ply either of those game types. Just give me a friend who can drop in drop out and if you gotta remove time affecting shouts, spells, and in the case of fallout V.A.T.S. Or just do what killing floor does. Frankly I don't care I just wanna play fallout with a few friends. They don't even have to be able to import export characters just have them be a random (or chosen) model scaled to the players level with some simple starting equipment.

Its a mod you download only if you want it. I really don't see how anyone could have an issue with it.

Kwil:
MMO with character controlled time-slowing mechanism does not mix.

Although killing floor has a similar mechanism.

Seriously, that is a dumb idea. I don't want this, I believe the series should stay on singleplayer only. It just makes sense.

This will never work.
Why? Simple: the world state. How do you ensure that all the npcs, butterflies, buckets, etc. are in the same spot on each computer? You can't merge two disparate worlds, so the next best thing is to use one host's world as a baseline and transfer it to other players, along with a stream of changes made to the world... Which means a 50+ mb download each time you connect, plus huge infrastructure changes. It cannot be done. Not by modders, anyway.

Hmmm.

I like it. I'd recently been thinking why it wasn't possible for there to be something like this.

It'd have to rely on a trust system kind of like the San Andreas multiplayer mods have. You'd have to behave, and there's also the question of killing NPC's. How would it affect everyone else?

Interesting to say the least. Glad someone put time into this. It'd have to be one of the most frustrating games to incorporate a multiplayer into.

It seems to me that it might not be that every player is, strictly speaking, there. More, the mod tracks all the players joined, and creates duplicate avatars of every other player to display to you. Which would be why no one else is in armour or carrying their weapons. I could be wrong, but it's hard to tell when I didn't see any combat. If I'm right, basically random enemy spawns might not appear for anyone except one person, and no one could help each other fight. No player would have an effect on any world except their own, and they are still all in their own worlds, they can just see other players traveling theirs. There might be ways around that, or they may be using a different method to the one I'm describing, but as far as I know Oblivion got no further than what I'm talking about, so I'm not getting my hopes up yet.

Thistlehart:
Judging from this video? No, Skyrim does not need silly people crowding up the gate to Whiterun or running around and slamming into NPCs.

If I wanted to see **69IMGAWD69** hopping up and down and bumping into the blacksmith when I'm trying to use the forge, I'd play an MMO. Multiplayer doesn't always improve a gaming experience, especially when you have to log into a server full of faceless half-wits.

Skyrim is meant to be as much an experience as a game. That experience would, in no way, be enhanced by having a dozen water-headed spazoids flailing about like sugared-up five-year-olds spouting Chuck Norris jokes. I would hate to see Bethesda taking time away from developing their world to make room for that nonsense.

I agree, but the wonderful thing about this is its a mod, and thus no one is forced to install it.

People who want multiplayer get it, and people who dont need not have it in the game. Perfect.

Greg Tito:

Bethesda might not be making an Elder Scrolls MMO, but that won't stop fans from doing so.

One question that keeps reverberating through the halls of Skyrim as you play is: wouldn't this game be great to play with friends? I personally do not have a reason to make Skyrim massively multiplayer - even when I play an MMO, I mostly play solo - but there is something interesting about putting persistence and living personalities behind all those NPCs you meet. A mod author has made the first steps of turning Bethesda's open world single-player game into an online multiplayer masterpiece - complete with naked avatars.

People all ready were making one for Oblivion years ago.....I don't think it worked....because its not an online game. It was buggy as hell some people said it worked and played with friend. Me and my friend couldn't connect and it was sloooooooow even if no one was connected.

Here no update since 2008. http://www.moddb.com/mods/obliviononline

Gimi 2-4 player co-op where 1 player is the main protagonist and the other 1-3 are just companions and I'm perfectly happy.

I'm busy imagining the hilarious applications of the "killall" developer console code... lol

I'd go with Two-Player, maybe three but that's about all I'd want. That cuts down the risk of being stuck with unsavory people and leaves more room for just my friends.

godofallu:
It doesn't look very good yet, but one day I will beat Skyrim in Coop.

It would be like real time D&D, you just need to make areas larger and scale enemy health based around the amount of players.

Rogue archer sniping in back while stealthed while the giant warrior charges in and the mage buffs and frys from afar.

This, plus take into account that modders could change quests and everything else for the matter a literally make D&D in Skyrim or disable things that might be troublesome (slow time). Imagine putting a giant between two Unrelenting Forces, probably just explode or go squish. I'm all for this

I think it could have some limited appeal. The idea of having a companion or two that wasn't a computer controlled kill stealer would be nice with people taking the usual roles of dps/tank/healer.

Or you could rewrite the quest structure so that you could have a versus thing going on. One player doing empire missions the other stormcloak.

Or you could have people hunting down individuals for their bounties.

Co-op would be better for Skyrim, but I won't say no to this mod, at least not until I try it out.

Its everything I expected from a skyrim MMO:

A ton of naked dudes jumping all over the place.

I hope there will be a mode or it will allow you to only play with the people you want to play. But still very awesome mod.

it's too cool to happen.

I would certainly play Skyrim with 1 or 2 people I know. Get a fighter a mage and a thief together and then go do some dungeons together. They'd have to increase the difficulty of course. Multiplayer with people I don't know is definitely out though.

Oh, sweet, my dreams of cooping Fallout 3/NV may yet come true.

But honestly, I'm not sure that I would want multiplayer clogging up my Skyrim.

My god. Why the hell must people be this way? If you don't like the mod just don't fucking install it. It isn't going to clog up your Skyrim unless you go through what I imagine to be quite a few hoops.

For fuck's sake, society. Good god.

What do you guys think? Would you download a multiplayer mod?

Fuck yes I would. When it's done, port it to New Vegas, disable VATS, and I'm sold.

Patrolling the Mojave with friends is my idea of god-tier gaming. At least until the game crashes.

and Should Bethesda include multiplayer in their Elder Scroll games

No. See: SA-MP and GTA IV MP. The 'official' release is considerably worse than the fan-made mod.

or is singleplayer enough for you?

If a game doesn't have a good campaign a game doesn't have my money. It's that simple. I don't care how tight and slick the multiplayer is, I don't like multiplayer so it's not going to be selling me any games.

I always thought that Skyrim, Fallout 3, etc, would make good Co-op games, or perhaps games in which you can follow your friend or go on your own adventure, occasionally meeting up and trading or killing eachother.
Something like that, but an MMO? Hell no. I get dominated enough on TF2.

Greg Tito:

Bethesda might not be making an Elder Scrolls MMO, but that won't stop fans from doing so.

One question that keeps reverberating through the halls of Skyrim as you play is: wouldn't this game be great to play with friends? I personally do not have a reason to make Skyrim massively multiplayer - even when I play an MMO, I mostly play solo - but there is something interesting about putting persistence and living personalities behind all those NPCs you meet. A mod author has made the first steps of turning Bethesda's open world single-player game into an online multiplayer masterpiece - complete with naked avatars.

The mod is far from complete. It looks buggy as hell and animations of players logged in to the server are non-existent. On the other hand, simply having characters move around and face a certain direction in a client running this mod is an achievement.

Now, I'm not positive if this mod is a good thing, but it certainly shows some ingenuity. Being able to enter an online mode where you can see other people logged into a server is pretty dang cool, even if the the game Bethesda wrote didn't include any kind of multiplayer at all. If someone can make this mod without the benefits of the Creation Kit, can you imagine what kinds of things we'll see when it drops in January?

But honestly, I'm not sure that I would want multiplayer clogging up my Skyrim What do you guys think? Would you download a multiplayer mod? Should Bethesda include multiplayer in their Elder Scroll games or is singleplayer enough for you?

Source: YouTube via VG247

I dislike MMOs, but I love Skyrim, and I do also like Co-op.

With that in mind, this could be great, however, I am curious to know how they'll account for the enemies in skyrim, will they all be as strong as the strongest/first player that attacks them? Or will some sort of hybrid system work, so a lvl 10 attacks a wolf, its set to lvl 10, but then when a lvl 15 attacks it too, it becomes a lvl 20 or something? That stuff I think would be hardest to work out.

Otherwise, with the infinite questing system, it has potential to work pretty well, not that any of my fellow Skyrim friends would be into it mind you.

MMO doesn't always go well with everything but there's a simple formula to go by.

RPG + Co-op = Better RPG.

There is pretty much no RPG that I can think of that would be made worse by including co-op. Some that might not change at all, but absolutely none that would be made worse. Even more linear RPG's that go for storytelling more than exploration can be that much more fun if you can just have a friend take over one of the characters in your party for battles and enjoy the story together.

Just needs a 3-4 player Co-Op with home-run servers and it'll be a winner

Arontala:
Full blown multiplayer? Ehhh.

Co-Op, however, would be magnificent.

exactly my thoughts, I wouldn't want 16 or 24 other guys running around doing their own thing [more often than not would involve killing/stealing my horse], but somehow letting me play with three of my best friends?

Sign me up.

Still say though, next Elder Scrolls game needs to have all the Continents with co-op and/or multiplayer.

Slayer_2:
Please make this for Fallout 3... My life would be complete, ahaha. An MMO... terrible idea, but co-op would be amazing. Imagine having a useful companion.

you mean, a compagnion with a sense of survival?

I'm in!

I would kill for a co-op option. Was discussing this recently with a friend of mine and we really see it as the next step towards Elder Scrolls perfection.

Playing the game with a friend sounds interesting and fun, but it is impractical for so many reasons that it probably just isn't worth it.

Well, kudos to that modder for figuring out how to do it. Impressive achievement.

Would I play it? Hell no. It'll probably be a while before I even try Ennui Simulator 5 (sorry, I meant Elder Scrolls 5) again even without having to deal with other real humans in my game.

If I really want to run around a frozen forest shooting things with a bow and arrow while other people in robes who can't spell hurl ill-thought-out racist or heterosexist epithets at me, I'll just raid a klan meeting in the woods.

Edit: Double post.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or