Half-Life 3 Logo Appears on Mystery Website

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Half-Life 3 Logo Appears on Mystery Website

The Half-Life 3 logo has turned up on a mysterious new website! What could it mean?

Point yourself at black-aperture.com and you'll see something mighty interesting: a very professional-looking Half-Life 3 logo, complete with Steam, Valve and Source tags and even all the proper copyright notifications in fine print. Mouse over the logo and you'll notice it links to half-life3.com; click it and you're transported to the Orange Box website. Interesting, and all very legitimate-looking, too. But is it real?

The obvious answer is "probably not," but hey, we've got time to kill. A whois of black-aperture.com reveals that the registration is David Hassen, who has no apparently connection to Valve and is thus presumed to be just some guy who doesn't mind spending a few bucks to troll a significant portion of the internet. The logo is also slightly different than the one spotted on a Valve employee's t-shirt in early December, with the lambda and the "3" having swapped spots.

At the same time, there seems to be an awful lot of Half-Life 3 "stuff" popping up in recent weeks. There's the t-shirt, and then came reports of the Half-Life 3 clues stashed in Valve's Portal 2 video for the VGAs. Marc Laidlaw insisted there was no "alternate reality game" or anything else untoward going on, but now we have this. Can it all really be a coincidence?

Of course it can, and it almost certainly is. Or is it? What's this "Status: Mark 7" business, anyway? And what about "FW26HL3719?" I'm all a-tingle with excitement!

via: Gameranx

A logo like that is NOT hard to make. So, what precisely does it's ''very professional-look'' have to do with anything? If there isn't much to a logo, there obviously isn't much to do wrong.

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Could it be? Could it really be? Could we really be getting Half Life 3/Episode 3? Finally, after all this time.

Maybe, maybe not.

Must... remain... calm...

Please don't let this be a hoax. Oh god please don't let this be a hoax.

Here we go again.

I will continue to maintain a facade of dismissive indifference until it's on my hard drive, at which point I will probably pass out.

Who is anyone here fooling, the Half-Life Series has become the Duke Nukem and Beyond Good and Evil sequels of the Gaming world.

Must remain Rational: Yes it looks like it is coming out, and yes it looks like there will be a Portal Cross-over. But we already knew that.

Still... one more game to look forward to in 2012.

Must......stay......calm
Please let this be real.

Guys, I already told you the truth. Don't let yourself be trolled.

Irridium:
ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Could it be? Could it really be? Could we really be getting Half Life 3/Episode 3? Finally, after all this time.

Maybe, maybe not.

Roll that turtle-neck back up (both of them) and cool your jets Starsky, it almost certainly is I'm afraid.

OT: This whole thing is too sporadic for Valve, and unimaginative. A fucking T-Shirt with a HL3 logo, and a website? If the other stuff is the beginnings of an ARG, these two certainly aren't part of it.

Noble_Lance:
Who is anyone here fooling, the Half-Life Series has become the Duke Nukem and Beyond Good and Evil sequels of the Gaming world.

Take out Duke Nukem Forever from that message, because that came out, and was terrible.

OT: If this is true, I will probably faint from excitement, if it's not I will just have to go on, being depressed that I won't be able to find out what happens after that scene with poor old eli, yeh that scene.

Just in case this isn't a hoax :
There is an Aperture logo hidden inside the HL³ logo.
Ramp up the contrast on the image to see it.
(http://mediacdn.disqus.com/uploads/mediaembed/images/184/8953/original.jpg)

Minz:

Hmmmm, didn't notice that. That makes it a tiny bit more believable, but I'm still not believing it.

Bought HL series again on steam (3rd copy I own now? D:) -just- in case it is released and I'm not at home, must refresh my memory, it's been a loooong time...

EDIT: the 75% off half-life complete pack is over on steam, but its still on sale for 50% off at about ~$20

ToastiestZombie:

Minz:

Hmmmm, didn't notice that. That makes it a tiny bit more believable, but I'm still not believing it.

And the website is black-aperture.com? Black Mesa + Aperture Science methinks.

CLICK the logo on that site I dare you.
You do it?
Okay. Then you'll know it links to a site the The Orange Box.

Lets face it, it isn't real... :(

Minz:

Gah, beat me to it. It looks like this HL is going to cross over with Portal, which was already kinda confirmed... Provided the site is real of course.

On the other hand, the title "Black Aperture" seems a bit too much of an obvious cross between Black Mesa and Aperture for my liking, so I'm a bit doubtful about the legitimacy based on that.

anANGRYkangaroo:

ToastiestZombie:

Minz:

And the website is black-aperture.com? Black Mesa + Aperture Science methinks.

Thank you Captiain Obvious! You are the best hero around! Nah seriously, that is rather badly hidden and not really that clever. Makes me think it's more like a hoax since the website is so clear and discrete about it, clear and discrete reveals is not a thing Valve does.

content="2012"

After about 15 minutes of whois & nmap this is the only thing that hasn't been mentioned so far...a meta tag.

If this turns out not to be a troll, then I might not buy the game just on principle.

Irridium:
ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Maybe, maybe not.

Ha ha, that's what I said...

Also, nice Spongebob pic, nothing makes a thread win like Spongebob.

It actually doesnt link to the Orange Box site, it links to half-life3.com, which redirects you to the orange box site.

Also, mouse over Half Life 2. It has a small blurb about it being a Half Life Trilogy

Alright, while this page is to 99% fake, it's true that there are many hints for Half-life at the moment.
To name a few, the hl3 T-Shirt worn by a Valve employee or when you write "status" on a Valve tf2 server it says "Gordon", or for the Steam translation an example by Valve for gamerecomending "I really like Half Life 2: Episode Two, but it doesn't really feel like the end."

I've been debunking them as mere coincidences or just fans seeing things, the last few weeks.
But there are just too many now.
Also, this happened today: https://twitter.com/#!/Steamcast/status/149415750623432704

This guy is one of the three hosts for the "Steamcast Podcast" in the ep2 subforum on the Steamforums.
He was also heavily involved in the Portal 2 ARG and got called by Valve to go to Valve HQ and became one of the "kidnapped" people. He's a reputable person and wouldn't troll he hl fans because he is also one and knows how hard it is for hl fans.
So I believe him, he doesn't have a reason to troll us.

This means that we'll see a lot more hints about Half-Life in the next few months and e3 2012 is a big candidate to announce the game officially.
This would also mean that it won't take much longer for the game to be released since they mostly announce their game when they're in the finishing parts. I'd say, it won't take more than a year or two at most.

Woodsey:

Irridium:
ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Maybe, maybe not.

Roll that turtle-neck back up (both of them) and cool your jets Starsky, it almost certainly is I'm afraid.

OT: This whole thing is too sporadic for Valve, and unimaginative. A fucking T-Shirt with a HL3 logo, and a website? If the other stuff is the beginnings of an ARG, these two certainly aren't part of it.

My thoughts exactly. If Valve is starting a new ARG, it's more likely the first clue is the hidden easter eggs in the new TF2 map CP_Foundry. There are two hidden rooms reachable only by noclipping, and only existing on one side of an otherwise symmetrical map. One's hidden behind a door labeled "Top Secret" and is guarded by a soldier. Inside there is a sequence of numbers printed on the wall. "1961" with "13 22 13" directly below. And, above those numbers is the number "12" hidden behind a steel cross-beam near the ceiling.

This other stuff so far, aside from "maybe" the shirt seems a bit too pedestrian and sloppy on Valve's part.

"FW26HL3719" Well, let's see.

FW26: I don't know...

HL3: Half-Life 3!

719: July 19th, a possible release date.

Eh, who knows.

Irridium:
ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Maybe, maybe not.

Hey, Irridium. Wanna know something magical?

Go on a VALVe server in TF2, open the developer console, then type in 'Status'. Read through what comes up. There's a name near the top...

Redirect to Orangebox site? It's fake.

Vigormortis:

Woodsey:

Irridium:
ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Maybe, maybe not.

My thoughts exactly. If Valve is starting a new ARG, it's more likely the first clue is the hidden easter eggs in the new TF2 map CP_Foundry. There are two hidden rooms reachable only by noclipping, and only existing on one side of an otherwise symmetrical map. One's hidden behind a door labeled "Top Secret" and is guarded by a soldier. Inside there is a sequence of numbers printed on the wall. "1961" with "13 22 13" directly below. And, above those numbers is the number "12" hidden behind a steel cross-beam near the ceiling.

This other stuff so far, aside from "maybe" the shirt seems a bit too pedestrian and sloppy on Valve's part.

That's for something TF2-y. The pictures inside are of a Robot Heavy, Robot Demoman, looking through a gasmask and I don't know what the fourth is.

Anyway, since Robin Walker said that Meet the Pyro is going to be from Pyro's perspective, the secret thing on cp_Foundry is probably for Raid Mode and/or Meet the Pyro.

My God.
Perhaps this is the beginning of the most epic Valve ARG ever.

SirBryghtside:

Kopikatsu:

Irridium:
ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Maybe, maybe not.

Hey, Irridium. Wanna know something magical?

Go on a VALVe server in TF2, open the developer console, then type in 'Status'. Read through what comes up. There's a name near the top...

EXPLAIN. I'm too lazy to boot up TF2 D:

And bored of all these fake/barely meaningful announcements...

There is a line of text for the server status that can be made whatever the server admin wants.

VALVe servers have no server admin; and the server status is listed as 'Gordon'.

I always thought Portal and Portal 2 where the sequels to Half Life 2. Since it was basically where they where sending Freeman next. I assumed they where setting the scene for him to arrive there but didn't expect Portal to be so successful so they ran with it.

There's enough references to HL in those games.

xXxJessicaxXx:
I always thought Portal and Portal 2 where the sequels to Half Life 2. Since it was basically where they where sending Freeman next. I assumed they where setting the scene for him to arrive there but didn't expect Portal to be so successful so they ran with it.

They are set in the same universe as Half Life, but we don't know if it's the same time or even anywhere near City 17 or Black Mesa. Half Life 3 probably will be set in the place the Borealis is, probably including the journey there. I don't think Valve will use Aperture Science as a setting in another game so soon after Portal 2, there really isn't much reason for Gordon and Alyx to go there, since the Borealis is somewhere else.

SirBryghtside:
EXPLAIN. I'm too lazy to boot up TF2 D:

And bored of all these fake/barely meaningful announcements...

The name at the top is "Gordon".

ToastiestZombie:

xXxJessicaxXx:

They are set in the same universe as Half Life, but we don't know if it's the same time or even anywhere near City 17 or Black Mesa. Half Life 3 probably will be set in the place the Borealis is, probably including the journey there. I don't think Valve will use Aperture Science as a setting in another game so soon after Portal 2, there really isn't much reason for Gordon and Alyx to go there, since the Borealis is somewhere else.

Portal 1 and 2 are set somewhere in America (Ohio?), City 17 is a fictional city somewhere in eastern europe and Gordon and Alyx are headed north, so we won't see the Enrichment Center in Half-Life.
Besides, they're trying to separate the two games. That's why Portal 2 is set a few hundred years in the future.

ToastiestZombie:

xXxJessicaxXx:

I just think they intended to make episode 3 or Half Life 3 but decided to stick with Portal which, originally, was to set the scene for the Borealis adventure.

So therefore they have given us Half Life sequels but no one thinks of them as that. Rather than everyone being confused as to why it's taking ages for HL3.

Even if they don't go to the enrichment center which seems likely from what you have said. I think Portal should still be considered as part of the series.

An Aperature Science background? Things are going to go insane if this is legit.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here