Bioshock Dev Declares 2011 "The Best Year Since 2007" for Games

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Bioshock Dev Declares 2011 "The Best Year Since 2007" for Games

According to Ken Levine, 2011 offered the strongest selection of games since his own Bioshock came out four years ago.

2007 was a good year to be a gamer. Between Mass Effect, Assassin's Creed, Super Mario Galaxy, Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, The Orange Box, Uncharted, and a number of other titles, there was something to please just about every gamer's palate. Ken Levine, the creative director at Irrational Games, remembers 2007 as the year his company produced its seminal steampunk odyssey, Bioshock. While the intervening years have generally been kind to gamers, Levine believes that 2011 represents something special. Between impressive games and record-breaking sales, Levine claims that 2011 is the best year for gaming since 2007 - even without a new Bioshock title!

Levine calls 2011 "a year to be proud of," citing games like Portal 2, Batman: Arkham City, Uncharted 3, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 and Deus Ex: Human Revolution. It's worth noting that at least three of Levine's favorite games from 2011 are actually sequels to games that came out in 2007. However, his top pick for 2011 is the wildly popular Skyrim, the latest in a series whose last installment came out in 2006. Furthermore, he finds it impressive that Modern Warfare 3 became the fastest-grossing form of entertainment ever, besting James Cameron's Avatar by one day. "It's a year to be proud of everybody because people are delivering this year in a way the industry hasn't delivered in a very long time," Levine explains.

With Bioshock: Infinite on the way, some fans may wonder where Levine found the time to play the biggest releases of 2011. "I always make time for games," says Levine. "That's important. If you're not playing games you're compromising your ability as a game developer to make good games." Levine's company has indeed produced some very good games, and is looking to produce another one next year, so his opinion carries some weight in the gaming community. Was 2011 all Levine believes it to be?

Source: Eurogamer

It's definitely one of the best I've experienced in my 15+ years of gaming.

Marshall Honorof:
Levine calls 2011 "a year to be proud of," citing games like Portal 2, Batman: Arkham City, Uncharted 3, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 and Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

If you were paying attention, you might have noticed that all of these games are sequels. And if you weren't paying attention, *CLAP CLAP* OI!

I've seen an awful lot better years for games, this year seems to have been........mostly forgettable for releases, with a few gems on top of it.

Sure, I'd say it's been a nice year.

The good stuff certainly outweighed the bad.

I have to agree, it was quite the nice year. Portal 2 really did blow my mind away, and Skirim was also pretty damn epic.
So, yeah. Well done, video game people!

Owlslayer:
I have to agree, it was quite the nice year. Portal 2 really did blow my mind away, and Skirim was also pretty damn epic.

seconded

I was worried about portal 2 (also weather or not I could afford it)..but it took my expectations and blew them out into space..its rare when a game does that

well done Valve

I have to agree with Ken. Though personally, 2012 might be an even better year considering what's in store (Mass Effect 3, Bioshock Infinite, The Last Guardian, The Witness, Sly Cooper 4...)

I was racking my brain to try and think what games I have actually bought this year and actually can't remember. The games I thought I bought this year were all out in 2010 so I guess I've just been playing the old ones this year.

That's been my opinion for a while; this year was fantastic.

wooty:
I've seen an awful lot better years for games, this year seems to have been........mostly forgettable for releases, with a few gems on top of it.

Yeah I suppose I could go on a site that talked about video games and troll about how Portal 2, Skyrim, Battle field 3, uncharted 3, Deus Ex human revolution, and every other game that came out this year sucked when compared to pong, and that, in fact 1972 was the best year for video games, but I don't feel like it.

On topic, yes this was a great year, and I think it might just spill over into 2012, but I also thought 2008 was a good year for video games as well, so this pattern holds well with previous years (same thing with 2004 - 2005, 2007 - 2008, 2011 - 2012???)

I looks like these things will continue in 3 year intervals.

though I'm not sure if 2001 was one such year (I know the original halo came out that year, but what else that was good) when did this trend really start?

This year is probably my favorite year, with Bulletstorm, Portal 2, Saints 3, and a shit ton of other games I've loved that all came out this year.

Next year with Bioshock Infinite, however...

This year has been bloody excellent, I must admit.

My top 5 of the year:

1. Dark Souls
2. Skyrim
3. The Witcher 2
4. Alice: Madness Returns
5. El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron

all of these games are incredibly creative and distinctive, and to me, all of them are works of high art as far as the gaming world is concerned.
I mean that's not even beginning to encompass all the other great stuff that came out this year. Portal 2, Battlefield 3, Uncharted 3, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Arkham City..

Whether sequels or not, this has been a year for quality indeed. People shouldn't just write sequels off. Unless a franchise is being milked, where's the problem? After all, without sequels, we never would've got Super Mario Bros. 3 or Ocarina of Time!

Not to mention some of the smaller powerhouses as well.

Magicka
Bastion
Frozen Synapse
Jamestown
Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale (strictly speaking just a localization... but bite me)

And we haven't even mentioned Crysis 2 (not as good as the first but still a far cry better then other FPS's)

Indeed 2011 was a good year for gaming. If 2012 beats it I am going to be a very happy "camper"... and a hungry one.

Add to that list Dead Space 2, Dragon Age 2 (no, I'm not kidding), Gears 3 and Saints Row the Third and Ken is basically justifying what I said last year. 2012 won't have as many good titles but will have a few good highly anticipated titles.

I actually have 2011 higher than 2007 on my list, this year was outstanding.

Every single one of them is a sequel. And by damn, it was good.

This has been, in my humble opinion, the best year for gaming yet, though 2007 isn't far behind.

/edit
A bit off-topic, but why did I have to sign a new agreement about posting? From what I can tell, nothing has changed...

JakobBloch:

Magicka
Bastion
Frozen Synapse
Jamestown
Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale (strictly speaking just a localization... but bite me)

Yeah, I came here to mention that too. Not to mention this is the year when Minecraft really got in stride (it went from 1 million users to over 4 million), and there's no forgetting Terraria. 2011 has been a good year for the smaller companies indeed.

Aye, it's been an awesome year.
Adding InFamous 2 to the list. Had so much fun with that game.

2010 was most certainly not kind to gamers. It's the worst year for games that I can think off the top of my head and I've been doing this thing for about 12 years. 2011 wasn't bad at all, so I suppose I agree with Levine. The sequels were for the most part good, great even, but they were still sequels. Some great things happened in the indie scene, though. However, 2007 was a standout because of all the new IP's and no other year this gen will probably ever top it, maybe next gen companies will do new IP's. But dear god, don't let us live through another gaming 2010...

Vault101:

Owlslayer:

...but it took my expectations and blew them out into space...

I think i saw what you did there. And it was rather lovely. Oh, Space Core, how we miss you...

Marshall Honorof:
Levine calls 2011 "a year to be proud of," citing games like Portal 2, Batman: Arkham City, Uncharted 3, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 and Deus Ex: Human Revolution. It's worth noting that at least three of Levine's favorite games from 2011 are actually sequels to games that came out in 2007. However, his top pick for 2011 is the wildly popular Skyrim, the latest in a series whose last installment came out in 2006. Furthermore, he finds it impressive that Modern Warfare 3 became the fastest-grossing form of entertainment ever, besting James Cameron's Avatar by one day. "It's a year to be proud of everybody because people are delivering this year in a way the industry hasn't delivered in a very long time," Levine explains.

Yes, let's all gather round and applaud these mainstream, commercial, big-buck sequels!

*retch*

I agree with him 100%. This has been, in my opinion, the best year I've ever had in gaming, and I've been at it about 20 years.

Yosharian:

Yes, let's all gather round and applaud these mainstream, commercial, big-buck sequels!

*retch*

There had to be one didn't there? This has been a great year for gaming all round dude, the XBLA has put out some fantastic games, and the indie scene has had a great year to boot. But wait, it isn't Escapist-Hipster-Cool to actually act like you like gaming is it?

It was certainly a decent year in gaming but far from the best. I think we've all just lowered our expectations so much that we are easily impressed now.

Plazmatic:

wooty:

Yeah I suppose I could go on a site that talked about video games and troll about how Portal 2, Skyrim, Battle field 3, uncharted 3, Deus Ex human revolution, and every other game that came out this year sucked when compared to pong, and that, in fact 1972 was the best year for video games, but I don't feel like it.

Ha, trolling, how very drole.

But actually, BF3, Deus ex and Portal 2 were some of the few gems I was on about. But its nice to see that people still manage to get the wrong end of the stick, even past 1972.

JakobBloch:

Magicka
Bastion
Frozen Synapse
Jamestown

And we haven't even mentioned Crysis 2 (not as good as the first but still a far cry better then other FPS's)

Indeed 2011 was a good year for gaming. If 2012 beats it I am going to be a very happy "camper"... and a hungry one.

I couldn't agree more. This has been an outstanding year for indie games.

This has been my favourite year in a long while. Must add Little Big Planet 2 and Catherine to the list.

I'd forgotten how good 2007 is but I still think this year might well be as good if not better. Before 2007 I was thinking 2004 (Rome: Total War, Half Life 2, Halo 2, Sims 2,KotoR 2, EQ2, Metal Gear Solid 3, World of Warcraft, Star Wars Battlefield, GTA San Andreas, Fable, Chronicles of Riddick, Far Cry, Ninja Gaiden)

Wow 2004 was a good year, and then we're back to 2000 or 2001 which is pracitcally Ur gaming

Yosharian:

Marshall Honorof:

*retch*

Quite clearly you have not experienced how awesome Deus Ex: HR is.

BrotherRool:

Yosharian:

Marshall Honorof:

*retch*

DE:HR was 'ok' for a mainstream game. Absolutely not as good as everyone makes it out to be, and certainly nowhere near as good as the original Deus Ex.

Tin Man:

Yosharian:

*retch*

There had to be one didn't there? This has been a great year for gaming all round dude, the XBLA has put out some fantastic games, and the indie scene has had a great year to boot. But wait, it isn't Escapist-Hipster-Cool to actually act like you like gaming is it?

Yes, clearly I'm saying the above because it's 'cool'.

Well I agree with everything Ken Levine says and as far as sequels go, does anybody who complains about them only ever buy the first in a series? What happens if the sequels actually are better, do they refuse to buy them or buy them anyway when they think no one's looking?

Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Minecraft, The Witcher 2, Frozen Synapse, Portal 2, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Skyrim, Batman: Arkham City, The Old Republic, Shogun 2, Anno 2070, Bastion, Anomaly: Warzone Earth, Rayman Origins, Skyward Sword, Dead Space 2, LA Noire, Hegemony Gold... yep, definitely a bumper crop of great games. 2012's going to have trouble keeping up.

Especially as far as memorable games go. I mean, think back to 2010 or 2009... what do you associate with those years? New Vegas, maybe? Uncharted 2? Not much else that stays fresh (at least in my memory)... but in 2011, we have at least four absolute across-the-board classics, if not seven or eight.

Steve the Pocket:

Marshall Honorof:
Levine calls 2011 "a year to be proud of," citing games like Portal 2, Batman: Arkham City, Uncharted 3, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 and Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

If you were paying attention, you might have noticed that all of these games are sequels. And if you weren't paying attention, *CLAP CLAP* OI!

*put on snob face* *snort* Well actually Human Revolution is a prequel not a sequel so ALL of those are not sequels!

OT:2011 have if anything been a humongous year for indie developers can just hope 2012 can follow in it´s step.

omicron1:
Especially as far as memorable games go. I mean, think back to 2010 or 2009... what do you associate with those years? New Vegas, maybe? Uncharted 2? Not much else that stays fresh (at least in my memory)... but in 2011, we have at least four absolute across-the-board classics, if not seven or eight.

2009-2010 brought New Vegas, Amnesia, Demon's Souls, Trials HD, and Saints Row 2.

Yosharian:

BrotherRool:

Yosharian:

*retch*

DE:HR was 'ok' for a mainstream game. Absolutely not as good as everyone makes it out to be, and certainly nowhere near as good as the original Deus Ex.

Tin Man:

Yosharian:

*retch*

Yes, clearly I'm saying the above because it's 'cool'.

I have to admit dude, you're coming off a bit as that, I guess you really don't mean to, but I think you're going to have to enlighten us some more, because whilst there are some genuinely great things that indie games can do, there are some huge advantages to having the time and money to really do everything you can and millions and millions of people really love the big games that get produced. I'm really sorry but it;s quite easy to take you're attitude as bog-standard boring anti-conformist, in a hipster/goth fashion, but I'd be really interested in having a deeper understanding of your views and hopefully it's just because you presented them to us in a very low-information/high snark ratio

Wait, it... it was a 'great' year? There was like only three titles that came out that held any damn interest. Dragon Age 2, Alice Madness Returns, and Saints Row the 3rd. All the others just 'looked' nice yet played like shite.

BrotherRool:
I have to admit dude, you're coming off a bit as that, I guess you really don't mean to, but I think you're going to have to enlighten us some more, because whilst there are some genuinely great things that indie games can do, there are some huge advantages to having the time and money to really do everything you can and millions and millions of people really love the big games that get produced. I'm really sorry but it;s quite easy to take you're attitude as bog-standard boring anti-conformist, in a hipster/goth fashion, but I'd be really interested in having a deeper understanding of your views and hopefully it's just because you presented them to us in a very low-information/high snark ratio

Well it's obvious that we are so used to absolute garbage that the minute something slightly above-average comes along (e.g. DE:HR) it's hailed as the pinnacle of modern gaming.

Really the industry is going nowhere fast.

This isn't something I can explain in a single post on an internet forum, you either know this or you don't. I mean christ, some people actually liked Crysis 2. That says it all.

Game of the year: Dark Souls - and even that game is not particularly amazing, just very good with some deep flaws.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here