Tetris Spokesman Calls Angry Birds a Fad

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Tetris Spokesman Calls Angry Birds a Fad

A Tetris staffer believes that Angry Birds will fly the coop while Tetris will remain block solid.

If you inhabit the planet Earth and have access to any kind of electronic device more complex than a toaster, there is a good chance that you have played either Tetris or Angry Birds. These two juggernauts of casual gaming generally coexist peacefully on smartphones and internet browsers everywhere, but Henk Rogers, managing director of The Tetris Company, does not believe it will always be so. According to the man who controls Tetris sales and merchandising, Angry Birds may be riding the popularity thermals now, but Tetris will still be around long after the flock has flown into the sunset.

The Angry Birds IP makes 40% of its revenue from merchandising. Rogers discussed this phenomenon while noting that selling Tetris swag is not easy without any recognizable characters. "Unless we come up with cute little aliens, I don't see how we're going to compete with them on the merchandising," he said. "Any time you have a character like an Angry Birds character, the games that have those as their central theme, they become popular and then they go away." According to Rogers, the fact that Tetris has captivated millions of players over the course of a quarter-century is a testament to both its quality and its position in modern pop culture. "I think once people have played it more than 20 or 25 years you can say it's here to stay ... it's no longer a fad. Angry Birds is cute and everybody plays it for a while but they get burned out and move on and they will play another game."

Rogers is right to assert that Angry Birds, despite its massive popularity, has yet to stand the test of time. However, suggesting that identifiable characters make a franchise ephemeral is a somewhat baffling statement. Series like Super Mario Bros., The Legend of Zelda, Metal Gear, and Monkey Island have managed to stay both relevant and profitable for over two decades, and they share characters just as much as gameplay mechanics. As for the future, Tetris certainly has history on its side, but if there's one thing the cast of Angry Birds is good at, it's knocking down blocks.

Source: IndustryGamers

Tetris is kind of played out and strangely mutated but still a survivor, personally i still like to play the original NES version just to show off how the most basic form is still one of the best.

Angry-Birds had luck on its side and is kind of a one trick pony, Rovio is one of those odd companies that could really dissapear at any moment if the wind changes.

Who the hell actually plays Tetris anymore?

He calls it a fad, I call it an overrated piece of crap that's a knockoff of far superior flash games.

AndyFromMonday:

*Raises hand sheepishly*

Well, umm, the colored ones are intersting... >.>

AndyFromMonday:

Kind of an odd statement. You see puzzle games never really go out of style because they don't use flashy graphics or a long campaign. Really boils down to is that puzzle games usually stand the test of time and people will always play them. Yeah I can name a couple off the top of my head that I still play and so can other people. Shouldn't look at puzzle games like any other genre, they usually have more staying power.

1. Any form of Tetris game.

2. Tetris Attack

3. Magical Drop 3

They don't need any characters. Just slap a few of those shapes on a shirt and EVERYBODY will understand what it's referring to.

AndyFromMonday:

Me me! It's awesome.

I agree with this guy, it is a fad. But I may be saying this just because I feel like one of very few people who never did enjoy Angry Birds, at all.

Tetris is a classic, but I can't see AB being a classic like it, or 'improving' or changing in different ways.

Marshall Honorof:
Rogers discussed this phenomenon while noting that selling Tetris swag is not easy without any recognizable characters.

What? The S and Z blocks are freakin' adorable.

That said, I don't think I'll equate Angry Birds to Tetris as a gaming institution until I see someone flawlessly playing Angry Birds at high speed after only having a half-second to look at the structure and the birds he's firing.

(If the first five minutes don't impress, watch the last minute and a half.)

AndyFromMonday:

Oh you'd be surprised.;)

As for what I think of Angry Birds being a "fad". I think it's a good game on it's own merits. There's tons of content within that game at the price of only 99 cents. With free updates no less. (Minus the Seasons app, which you have to buy separately.)

Whether it does stand the test of time is yet to come though.

Chemical Horse:
He calls it a fad, I call it an overrated piece of crap that's a knockoff of far superior flash games.

I hear this criticism about Angry Birds a lot and to me, it doesn't hold a lot of weight. That's like saying Halo is a knockoff of Half Life. Or Sonic is a knock off of Mario.

Of course it's a fad. That's how Facebook/iPhone games work. Sooner or later all those people will move on to whatever game gets popular next.

I think that Angry Birds can compete with Tetris if people are still playing it in 20 years.

Tetris has stood the test of time so there is no doubt that it is not simply a fad. Angry Birds though, I believe it is a fad and will soon pass.
I have spent countless hours with Tetris over the years and became bored with Angry Birds within an hour.

usmarine4160:
I think that Angry Birds can compete with Tetris if people are still playing it in 20 years.

Uh ok. Isn't that like saying the grass is green if it's green?

Angry Birds could certainly turn out to be another fad, but I'm not so sure it will. Besides, they said the same thing about Pokémon back in the day and that's still going strong. (yes I know the two can't really be compared but it's Christams Eve and I don't feel like making compelling or even sensible arguments. Happy Holidays everybody!)

Crono1973:
Tetris has stood the test of time so there is no doubt that it is not simply a fad. Angry Birds though, I believe it is a fad and will soon pass.
I have spent countless hours with Tetris over the years and became bored with Angry Birds within an hour.

Well, Angry Birds is not really the kind of game to be played for a consecutive hour, it's more suited to smaller sessions.

Magnalian:
Angry Birds could certainly turn out to be another fad, but I'm not so sure it will. Besides, they said the same thing about Pokémon back in the day and that's still going strong. (yes I know the two can't really be compared but it's Christams Eve and I don't feel like making compelling or even sensible arguments. Happy Holidays everybody!)

Crono1973:

Well, Angry Birds is not really the kind of game to be played for a consecutive hour, it's more suited to smaller sessions.

LOL, Angry Birds isn't the kind of game to be played for an hour, ever! Sorry, couldn't resist.

I never heard the Pokemon is a fad argument but it's a JRPG and back when Pokemon came out, they were all the rage.

I just want to know how these people get the platform to say these meaningless, unimportant things. In interviews? Press releases?

Magnalian:

Well if you wanted to play a game for something like a 20 minuite train journey, there are probably better options for iOS and easily way better options for any handheld console.

EDIT: Somehow got the quote-tee wrong.

Tetris Battle on Facebook has apparently like 9 million monthly users.

"I think once people have played it more than 20 or 25 years" guy says nothing definitive, stop guessing.

Few things today aren't a fad. No matter how much people rave or how popular it is for its time, not much of what's taking or taken the world by storm lately will be remembered as a classic.

Having never played angry birds I can say that tetris certainly prevails over it. Though I find both to be rather bland as far as puzzle games go and prefer more of a bejeweled or majong style.

Pretty sure he is correct in his assumption.

Funny thing. Never liked Tetris at all, myself...

It is really sad when someone who distributes a videogame I grew up with sounds like some cranky old fart about a new game.
I've never played Angry Birds but I have nothing against a game that actually helps people understand a bit of physics. (And that pigs rule the world)

Chemical Horse:

I'll just quote this for emphasis, I don't think Angry Birds its success is merited by any stretch of the imagination, it shamelessly rips off older and perfectly free flash games and has the gall to charge money to play it, and somehow become a worldwide success. (Really, why buy it when there's free alternatives that have absolutely identical gameplay?)

I sincerely hope that Angry Birds will be dead and buried within the next year.

AndyFromMonday:

YO

OT: We'll see, we'll see. In the meantime I'll remain indifferent to those furious avian blockbusters.

See, I still play the GameBoy version...

I totally agree. I gave up Angry Birds at maybe level 4? Tetris, though, will be here until the world ends, because I don't think you can play Angry Birds on the side of a building.

And Tetris has this entire culture around it, you don't see pro Angry Birds players, people humming the Angry Birds theme...

Honestly, I find Angry Birds to be this generation's "Worms"; which too, sprung up quickly with its addictive gameplay, and burnt out almost immediately afterward.

Angry Birds succeeds because it's a (comparatively) good title on a very popular platform...
Mind you, it's a platform that is overflowing with absolute shit games like a clogged toilet in a frat house after a hot-dog eating contest.

scorptatious:

Chemical Horse:

I hear this criticism about Angry Birds a lot and to me, it doesn't hold a lot of weight. That's like saying Halo is a knockoff of Half Life. Or Sonic is a knock off of Mario.

The thing I hate about it is how it exploited an original idea, that as above stated was done far better, created a viral marketing campaign that pandered to the demographic of 12 year old girls who couldn't tell you a single game from Bioware's library, but think the birds are SOO CUTEEEEEEEEEE ~*U*~ omg.

Maybe that's just me being cynical in my cynic cave of cynicalness, cynically clutching my copy of Warcraft III and Quake against my warm, cynical chest, kicking back the hordes of young gamers who are too blinded by flashy explosions to acknowledge the rampant design flaws in Modern Warfare 3 with my cynical foot.

Then I have to stare down at my childhood, slipping away between my keyboard-toned forearms, tears fill my eyes as everything I ever loved fades into irrelevance...

What I'm trying to say is it's just not my type of game.

Atmos Duality:
Honestly, I find Angry Birds to be this generation's "Worms"; which too, sprung up quickly with its addictive gameplay, and burnt out almost immediately afterward.

Angry Birds succeeds because it's a (comparatively) good title on a very popular platform...
Mind you, it's a platform that is overflowing with absolute shit games like a clogged toilet in a frat house after a hot-dog eating contest.

Pardon me, good sir, but are you implying that "Fart Simulator 2012", "Japanese Sex AI v1.3333333333.4.61", and "FREE SEXY BOOBY GAME VAGINA SEX GAME FREE 4 ADULTS ONLY 18+ FREE ADULT SEX BOOBY" are not quality titles?

I think angry birds will probably be a fad, because unlike tetris it is sold on its 'coolness' and the fact that nearly everyone I know who has a smartphone has played at LEAST several hours of it stands testament. I think when a new game to contest the throne comes along, it won't necessarily 'die out' if they make new challenges for it, but it will definitely drop in popularity.

Tetris is a game etched into the wall of gaming with a building sized drill. It's gameplay is totally complete with nothing silly added and noting needed to be placed into it, this has allowed games to be built on it's premise with alterations.

Angry Birds isn't a fad, but it's no tetris in anyway. It is just a clone of crush the castle with different aesthetics.
One of the AB creators believes himself a games design genius, and yet all he did was change boulders into birds, knights into pigs, and catapults into a slingshot :D

Heh. I can't help but laugh at this, really. When was the last good Tetris game released? When they started adding multiplayer and graphics and all that crap, it went downhill.

That's not to say that Angry Birds is here to stay (it may, it may not. Who knows?), but I think it's in bad taste for a Tetris spokesperson to say that ... which reminds me: Tetris has a spokesperson? That sounds odd, actually ...

Also, Tetris for the NES was a great game. Sadly, I don't have an NES, so I have to play "First-Person Tetris" to relive those memories ... too bad the screen has to flip to and I can't just enjoy some Goddamn Tetris ...

Personally, I just believe Tetris lives on just because it came out at a time where there weren't many substitutes for its type of gameplay, its music was really addicting, and it just so happened to have enough challenge to let casuals have something to do while letting hardcore people become Tetris gods.

I do agree that Angry Birds is probably a fad, but for different reasons entirely. imo, Tetris just had the right timing; Angry Birds lives on in an era of short attention spans where everyone can produce a game just as addicting as it in about half the time. It can't stand up to Tetris because of the competition it faces.

And.......just to quash something that I thought was true....

How much did the creator of Tetris get paid for it?

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here