GameStop Turns Old iPods into Gold

Pages 1 2 NEXT

The U.S. game retailer reports that iDevice trade-ins for store credit have exceeded expectations.

Part of the problem with being a technologically advanced society with baby's toys having more advanced electronics than the astronauts brought with them to the Moon is what to do with all those gadgets once they become obsolete. Case in point: the iPods that revolutionized music a mere ten years ago are near worthless to those of us with fancy new smartphones. Heck, even the first few iPhones are garbage now. After investing $500 or more a few years ago, most people feel bad that previously-prized devices will just collect dust in a drawer (or worse, poisoning a landfill) and that is where GameStop comes in. In September, the game retailer began offering a way to trade in old Apple devices for in-store credit to pay for games. So far, the ploy has worked.

"The velocity of this trade program has exceeded our expectations," said Tony Bartel, the top banana at GameStop. "We expect to see strong post-holiday traffic as customers trade in older models that were replaced by gifts."

While the amount of credit that GameStop offers is significant, the devices it accepts for the program is limited to recent models. GameStop will give credit worth "$180 for an iPod Touch, up to $300 for an iPhone and up to $400 for an iPad." The "up to" language is troubling: I wonder if truly old models get nothing or how much the value varies based on the condition. An iPad with a crack in its screen ain't worth 400 bucks worth of games, that's for sure.

And that brings up the question of what GameStop does with these models. The release doesn't say, but the whole trade-in scheme doesn't work if you can't move the old product. Who is buying these old iPads from GameStop? Are they being shipped to developing countries to be sold on some kind of black market? Can I head up an investigative task-force to find out that all these devices are being melted down to form a giant mecha-destro-robot armed to take over the world?

'Cause that'd be awesome.

This seems to be far better than other trade-ins I saw. I do wonder what's in it for them, though. There's just no way they're doing it to be charitable, so I do wonder what the catch is.

On the other hand, this is nowhere near as impressive as turning ipods into gold. I was worried they had discovered my secret.

I should also add that "Up to" is fairly standard language as they're not going to pay full price for a broken iPad. The max price is like any used item: Best condition possible.

Zachary Amaranth:
This seems to be far better than other trade-ins I saw. I do wonder what's in it for them, though. There's just no way they're doing it to be charitable, so I do wonder what the catch is.

On the other hand, this is nowhere near as impressive as turning ipods into gold. I was worried they had discovered my secret.

You can keep your secret, but once I've finished my giant mecha-destro-robot, we'll see how long you have to enjoy it. Beware the I-rule Zachary.

Besides i'm pretty sure there's an app for that.

The GameStop at my closest mall has the iThings in a case similar to selling GBA and DS cartridges with prices. For what it's worth, the iPod Touches they're getting are 2nd gen, so these aren't exactly "just like new" products.

They're refurbishing them and then reselling them. I asked one of the guys in the shop and they said they're running a few test stores with them to see how well they sell before trying to integrate them into other stores.

They gave me $85 store credit for my barely-working 2nd generation iPod touch. No complaints.

I imagine they're simply reselling them to people who can't afford the super-new models.
This'll be good for me when I find myself in need of one.

"...up to $400 for an iPad." Yeah, I'm pretty sure if you go in with a brand new 64GB Wi-Fi + 3G iPad2, they'll gladly pay you $400 for it. Anything else is going to be, shall we say, "significantly" less?

I expect nothing less than $200 for my 3rd gen iPod classic with the loose headphone jack and the 15 minute battery life!

Actually, I did notice this in a Gamestop I went into on Christmas Eve. I didn't know it was a new thing for them (was my first time going into a Gamestop in a long while).

I'll stick to my good ol' 1gb iPod Shuffle, thanks. I guess they'll build a bunker of sorts with all those iPods and start making illegal experiments on it, laughing maniacly and rambling something about taking over the world.

Greg Tito:

The U.S. game retailer reports that iDevice trade-ins for store credit have exceeded expectations.

And that brings up the question of what GameStop does with these models. The release doesn't say, but the whole trade-in scheme doesn't work if you can't move the old product. Who is buying these old iPads from GameStop? Are they being shipped to developing countries to be sold on some kind of black market? Can I head up an investigative task-force to find out that all these devices are being melted down to form a giant mecha-destro-robot armed to take over the world?

Um...Greg, did you do any research on this? You can go onto the Gamestop website and buy refurbished ipods and iphones right now. Have been able to for awhile. My local store in Kona has been selling cases and chargers since they started taking the ipods.

Gamestop is starting to look like a chain of glorified pawn shops to me.

GameStop is an authorized Apple reseller. If they are not then they will be sued.

Not sure how I feel about this. I like my game stores selling... ya know... games. But who knows, Im most probably thinking too hard into this. Though I will admit the last thing I want to see is a full corner of my local gamestop being devoted to apple.

Here's to good luck for them! Hope it goes well.

Greg Tito:

Several things really. The less damaged ones, with say just a cracked screen, can simply be repaired for pittance (Well, 5 quid for a ipod touch/iphone) then sold as refurbished.

Or they are stripped for parts. Recently a massive market has sprung up for miniature technology, like the stuff found in iphones. So people buy damaged phones which maybe have one or two components which are bust, disassemble it, and sell all the working parts for a heck of a lot of money. Certainly more than what they paid to get the broken iphone.

Doom972:
Gamestop is starting to look like a chain of glorified pawn shops to me.

I'm starting to get this vibe too.

DVS BSTrD:

You can keep your secret, but once I've finished my giant mecha-destro-robot, we'll see how long you have to enjoy it. Beware the I-rule Zachary.

Bah! Fool! Do you think I would just amass gold with no end game? Like a poor chess player, you are only thinking in the now, while I am thinking three moves ahead! Mwahahahahahaha!

Zachary Amaranth:

DVS BSTrD:

Bah! Fool! Do you think I would just amass gold with no end game? Like a poor chess player, you are only thinking in the now, while I am thinking three moves ahead! Mwahahahahahaha!

A great chess player sees 20 moves ahead
a true master only needs one.

From the title, I thought this was about urban mining, the process of mineral reclamation from consumer electronics. Maybe that's what Gamestop will do with it, I don't know, but you had me thrown for a loop there. Interesting that their plan took off, though it's understandable how it would work. Most likely, they'll just focus on reselling them, like a nonhaggling gaming-specific pawn shop.

This does seem like a sensible system, and it's sure making GameStop a profit.

Also, Greg Tito, I want you to have some position of international power. Your way of thinking is absolutely awesome.

Here's what I know about this (More or less):

-GameStop won't take any beat up devices. That is, if the screen is cracked, if the device is chipped in places, if it's badly scratched, if it has any engravings or if the earphone entry looks bad. In a nutshell, it must look perfect.
-Some stores are starting to sell certain devices. My local store is selling iPads right now.
-They're trying to bring iPads into the whole "video game system" business. With all that stuff about being able to download games like Sonic and NFS to your iPdad, you can see why they're going into that.
-They do pay you a lot of credit/cash compared to, say, what you would get for your 360 (*coughlessthanthirtydollarscough*

I've heard some people complain about this, but I don't see why. I mean, don't expect to trade in your piece-of-shit iPod and demand 500 bucks for it. Let's be realistic here.
And in all fairness, knowing GameStop trade in fares, I would hurry up and trade mine in (If I had one) because you never know if the trade in value will go down once they get enough devices. I'm looking right at you, 360.

I guess my ipod is TOO old for Gamestop to buy.

Beautiful End:
Here's what I know about this (More or less):

-GameStop won't take any beat up devices. That is, if the screen is cracked, if the device is chipped in places, if it's badly scratched, if it has any engravings or if the earphone entry looks bad. In a nutshell, it must look perfect.
-Some stores are starting to sell certain devices. My local store is selling iPads right now.
-They're trying to bring iPads into the whole "video game system" business. With all that stuff about being able to download games like Sonic and NFS to your iPdad, you can see why they're going into that.
-They do pay you a lot of credit/cash compared to, say, what you would get for your 360 (*coughlessthanthirtydollarscough*

This is true ^^ they pretty much are only taking things they can turn without much work and just packaging in a charger and such.

It's 2 very easy ways for game stop to make money tho even with a minimal markup on the trade in credit ((rigth now of course there is a high markup))
1. Accessories and cases, your gonna need a case, screen protector and car/wall charger with your new ipod.
2. the store credit or 20% less cash. you already know how much they make out like bandits profiting off their used games. It's just another form of cash to use to push the used game sales.

Hell all they need to do next is invest in a melting machine next and could start gold for games.

I stick with ebay, probably get more, since I always do with games.

Well as far as what they are doing with them, my local EB Games manager, who is a good friend of mine, responded with; "...as of right now it's just building up stock..." didn't mention any test stores and had no info on when they may start selling.

Theyre gutting them, and filling them with an apple product substitute!

This substitute is actually LESS flammable then real apple product fillings, and can be used to cure cancer if applied to area with the first 24 hours of getting it.
They use the actual I-guts as pay for Japanese hentai manga artists to continue producing more tentacle pron for the internet.

Then again, i could just be imagining all of that because the idea of GameStop giving large sums of money for anything is LESS likely to happen.

gphjr14:
I stick with ebay, probably get more, since I always do with games.

Yep,ebay sometime give more discount for game accessories.

...Alright, I don't care what the catch is, I have an iPhone I don't use any more and if that can get me games, I'm on that shit.

Like most however, they'll only do it to new model versions, they sure as hell wont take a iPod model from 2006.

+The cash in isnt probably that good.

The headline caused a following thought pattern in my brain. "Gold has been used in electronics. Maybe they still do and now GameStop is carefully dismantling the devices?" Might be a bit unrealistic but hey everything is possible.

Case in point: the iPods that revolutionized music a mere ten years ago are near worthless to those of us with fancy new smartphones. Heck, even the first few iPhones are garbage now. After investing $500 or more a few years ago, most people feel bad that previously-prized devices will just collect dust in a drawer

i stipped reading after that. what sort of an idiot could write that? i still use my 5 year old mp3 player that i payed 50 dollars for that is no worse than your ipod and i have aboslutely no need for "smart" phones to play my music.
then again since apple users usually consider a month old product as "obsolete trash" its no wonder articles like this sprout. i am dully dissapointed wih level of journalism in escapist atm.

as for gold in devices. the amount of gold in miroschemes (yes its still used in there) is very small. to dismantle it woudl probably cost more than mine some more atm.

Greg Tito:

Part of the problem with being a technologically advanced society with baby's toys having more advanced electronics than the astronauts brought with them to the Moon is what to do with all those gadgets once they become obsolete. Case in point: the iPods that revolutionized music a mere ten years ago are near worthless to those of us with fancy new smartphones

Yeah...if you actually own a smartphone

which I dont. And I'm sure there are others out there who are perfectly fine with having their phone and mp3 player seperate..considering how much Iphones/smartphones cost (and that fact that I only use my phone...for a phone)

kiri2tsubasa:
GameStop is an authorized Apple reseller. If they are not then they will be sued.

If gamestop needed to be authorized to resell, they wouldn't exist. Every publisher would follow suit, destroying Gamestop from the inside out.

kouriichi:
Theyre gutting them, and filling them with an apple product substitute!

This substitute is actually LESS flammable then real apple product fillings, and can be used to cure cancer if applied to area with the first 24 hours of getting it.
They use the actual I-guts as pay for Japanese hentai manga artists to continue producing more tentacle pron for the internet.

Then again, i could just be imagining all of that because the idea of GameStop giving large sums of money for anything is LESS likely to happen.

...damn it.

Thanks a lot. I have to come up with a new plan now since you gone and told the freaking world. This is exactly what happened in Manchester when I tried to assassinate the queen with my army of laser beam equipped sharks. People like you always screw my day schedule all to hell. :(

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here