L.A. Noire Creator: I'm Not as Bad as Steve Jobs

L.A. Noire Creator: I'm Not as Bad as Steve Jobs

Team Bondi imploded after the game's release, but the CEO doesn't think he was that bad.

The gaming world anticipated 2011's crime drama L.A. Noire with excitement. Everything we saw coming out of the Australian offices of Team Bondi looked interesting and fresh. An open world L.A. crime story with real emotions displayed on suspect's faces was a really compelling pitch for a videogame. But L.A. Noire didn't quite get it right and rumors and accusations began to surface that Team Bondi CEO Brendan McNamara was a terrible boss and the team suffered from his mismanagement. Most of the staff left Team Bondi either during the final days of production on L.A. Noire or right after its release, and most of their wages are in arrears when the company folded. Brendan McNamara survived, and inked a deal to work at another studio on a game called The Whore of the Orient. Speaking about his time at Team Bondi, McNamara is understandably upset with what was said about him and compared his performance to other "terrible bosses" such as Steve Jobs.

"It was a long, painful process, but making games is like making films in that it's a marathon, not a sprint - and some people come into the process not knowing that," he said.

"Everybody has their view on who's the worst boss in the world, and maybe that's me," McNamara admitted. "I've read some amazing things about Steve Jobs in his biography, and I've never seen him get as vilified any way as much as I have. [Film director] Sam Peckinpah fired people off one movie, and nobody said a thing. Werner Herzog pulled a gun on Klaus Kinski to get him to finish a movie! Obviously, I don't compare myself to any of those people."

When McNamara was asked point blank about the mistreatment of his employees, he demurred. "I think I've said all I want to say about that kind of stuff."

It's always difficult to know what your legacy will be. Will McNamara go down as a tyrannical genius? Or just a blowhard with big ideas? Hard to say, but a lot will depend on how his The Whore of the Orient turns out.

The game, I mean.

Source: PlayStation Magazine

Maybe, but those people have legions of dedicated PR and Marketing goons who's sole purpose is to turn them int deities, or at least have them sanctified after they die.

He didn't really say he's not as bad as Steve Jobs...

Granted, Jobs was a pretty horrible boss if you believe the stories, and considering Apples business practices I wouldn't be surprised if they were true. But even if that's true, McNamara still sounds like a pretty shitty boss.

Just because you're a piece of crap and don't stink as bad as the others doesn't mean you're not a piece of crap.

I punch in the gut isn't as bad as a kick in the balls, but I won't be lining up to get one anytime soon.

"I'll bet you haven't got a single shred of evidence that I'm married to Hitler!"
J'ACCUSE
Haven't heard much of the stories surrounding Jobs, but at least HE managed keep his company from declaring bankruptcy. I'd rather have a boss that was at least competent.

He's comparing himself to innovative legends (despite what he says). Who the fuck does he think he is? There's a reason people overlook the aggressive nature of the people that were mentioned, and some in fact, think it adds to their greatness.

The reason? They didn't put out lackluster, underwhelming dribble that alienated many workforces. You only get a free pass when you create genius work.

*Also, please don't get cheeky with quotes. I already know the Steve Jobs hatred that runs deep.

-Double post.

Hit quote instead of edit. Wow, first double post ever.

Stanley Kubrick was a pretty miserable guy to work for, too! He poured bugs on, insulted and otherwise tormented Shelley Duvall on the set of The Shining so that she could be a more convincing trembly, terrified, insecure wife onscreen.

That doesn't have anything to do with McNamara, but neither do the working conditions Steve Jobs fostered.

I don't know about you, but if he delivers the goods then I'll look forward to move of his work.

Being a director isn't a popularity contest, as a person who buys and uses these products/services I really don't care if everyone in a creative workplace loves their boss if they churn out some generic low quality crap.

Greg Tito:
"Obviously, I don't compare myself to any of those people."

Obviously, you just have.

PeePantz:
He's comparing himself to innovative legends (despite what he says). Who the fuck does he think he is? There's a reason people overlook the aggressive nature of the people that were mentioned, and some in fact, think it adds to their greatness.

The reason? They didn't put out lackluster, underwhelming dribble that alienated many workforces. You only get a free pass when you create genius work.

*Also, please don't get cheeky with quotes. I already know the Steve Jobs hatred that runs deep.

Well, why not? LA Noire is a really critically acclaimed work and technologically ground-breaking.

I'd say it is not the most unfair comparison to make. Now you may think LA Noire is "lacklustre underwhelming dribble" but many do not. Just like many would say Macs are crap, there are many who ABSOLUTELY LOVE them!

Steve jobs may not be loved by everyone (though Apple fanboys sure love him) you can bet he is respected, even by those who hate him. You have to respect him for his achievements, influence and vision.

Col. Ghadafi: "I'm not as bad as Adolf Hitler."

Edit: The updated code of conduct popped up when I hit post, and I practically shat myself wondering if I'd crossed a line. Wow.

PeePantz:
-Double post.

Hit quote instead of edit. Wow, first double post ever.

I hate your connection SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much right now.

scnj:
Col. Ghadafi: "I'm not as bad as Adolf Hitler."

Edit: The updated code of conduct popped up when I hit post, and I practically shat myself wondering if I'd crossed a line. Wow.

I really wish they'd just send us these updates. And it would have been nice to see the forum rules, oh i don't know, WHEN I CREATED MY ACCOUNT, instead of interrupting my first post. Yeah that'll REALLY ensure people read the rules carefully, not just click *I Agree* and move on to the next article.

"Blowhard with big ideas" sounds more like David Cage to me. Still, the implosion of Team Bondi suggests McNamara is a pretty crappy boss.

Paul Christoforo thinks Paul's a great guy too. I've never met McNamara, so he could be right, but the really raging a#@$holes I've met all think they're fine fine people who you would love to hang out with. Though sometimes they admit people might be a little intimidated by their drive and brilliance and always being right.

"Tobias...you blowhard"

Neve heard that word used outside of Arrested Development!

Irridium:
He didn't really say he's not as bad as Steve Jobs...

Granted, Jobs was a pretty horrible boss if you believe the stories, and considering Apples business practices I wouldn't be surprised if they were true. But even if that's true, McNamara still sounds like a pretty shitty boss.

Just because you're a piece of crap and don't stink as bad as the others doesn't mean you're not a piece of crap.

"Stalin, not as bad as Mao"

Totes right about Apple. Given what they do to their Chinese workers, I wonder what they're like inside?

I just bought LA Noire yesterday, and my wife and I played it for about 4 hrs last night, and thus far I've gotta say I am *damn* impressed.

The ambition, the technology, and the acting are all top-notch. When I was investigating the case where the young wannabe starlet was raped I was surprised at the frankness of the game. Most games would pussy foot around such adult material. Blowing the shit out of a thousand people with automatic weapons is ok, but mention the kind of life-destroying crimes that happen everyday seem to be a no-no in most popular media.

That said, he does sound like rather pretentious. As we all know, the only person who is allowed to be pretentious without reproach is Stephen Fry.

I don't care how good this LA Noire is supposed to be, i'm not playing it after reading how the employees there were treated.

Not as bad... yet, but it sure is looking like it will be a long trolling career because remorse clearly isn't in his vocabulary.

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.