Akira Might Get Re-Written By Dark Knight Scribe

Akira Might Get Re-Written By Dark Knight Scribe

Despite earlier reports, Akira's live-action remake isn't completely down for the count, provided that the script can be re-jiggered.

Even though insiders are claiming that production on the live-action adaptation of Akira has been shut down, Warner Bros. doesn't seem quite willing to give up on the oft-maligned remake. Despite earlier rumors that the film company was considering saving the project if it could slash the budget even further, it now sounds like this isn't entirely true. Instead, insiders are now claiming that the script needs to be re-tooled, and the man who wrote The Dark Knight might be the person to do it.

Variety is reporting that executives feel that Akira's screenplay needs more "fixes" before production can start up again. The two men who are being considered for this project are Jonathan Nolan and Michael Green. Nolan probably sounds familiar to you, since he wrote the screenplays for The Dark Knight and The Prestige. Green, on the other hand, is best-known for his writing work on the Green Lantern cinematic hate crime movie and episodes of Heroes.

Admittedly, Nolan has some pretty solid work in his portfolio, but even if Warner Bros. can get him to work on Akira, it may be way too late to save this particular turkey. The movie has had too many problems, too many delays, too many compromises to meet executives' demands, and generally sounds like something that won't be even remotely faithful to the source material. The best thing Warner Bros. could do at this point is just to let the movie die quietly and start over from scratch in a few years' time.

Source: Variety via Screen Rant

Hoo boy... I have no idea what to think. On the one hand, we got Jonathan Nolan who wrote The Dark Knight and could give this movie the justice it deserves. On the other hand, it's still going to be a western adaptation of Akira.

I'm scared.

for fucks sake ....

Hollywood, 'mer a second

closer, no, closer, k? some free advice for ya

LET IT FUCKING DIE ALREADY!!! no one wants it anyway.

I actually want to see the Hollywood make this. Because I know for a fact that fanboys of the original will cry, and maybe I'll be able to watch something called Akira and not sit there with that Jackie Chan rage comic look on my face at the end.

Yes, I watched Akira, and had no fucking clue what the shit happened. Random old kids with powers, some thing called Akira that blew up ages ago, some kid now has super powers, then turns into a dick, then turns into an utter wanker, then turns into some flesy/techy thing before being shot by some orbital laser thing.....THE FUCK!?

Kitsuna10060:
for fucks sake ....

Hollywood, 'mer a second

LET IT FUCKING DIE ALREADY!!!

Once the source material is in ashes, then it has my permission to die

Reaper195:
I actually want to see the Hollywood make this. Because I know for a fact that fanboys of the original will cry, and maybe I'll be able to watch something called Akira and not sit there with that Jackie Chan rage comic look on my face at the end.

Yes, I watched Akira, and had no fucking clue what the shit happened. Random old kids with powers, some thing called Akira that blew up ages ago, some kid now has super powers, then turns into a dick, then turns into an utter wanker, then turns into some flesy/techy thing before being shot by some orbital laser thing.....THE FUCK!?

Yes because Hollywood always translates animes into perfectly coherent masterpieces.

Watch it again because I was 12 when I first saw it and understood the movie just fine...

Akira was great 20 years ago, but I don't think the concept will work as well now. Its terrifying to think that this will be one of the classics that will be remade for the sake of milking the nostalgia cash cow.

vansau:
Variety is reporting that executives feel that Akira's screenplay needs more "fixes" before production can start up again.

Do i sense the euphemism thread ? ;)

Reaper195:
...and maybe I'll be able to watch something called Akira and not sit there with that Jackie Chan rage comic look on my face at the end.

Why? Why would you want to do that? Given that...

Yes, I watched Akira, and had no fucking clue what the shit happened. ~blablabla~.....THE FUCK!?

...this movie/story PLAINLY ISN'T FOR YOU.
Step the fuck off and leave it to those who understand and love it for what it is, and go find something you WILL enjoy (heaven knows there's a wide enough breadth of other, excellent material out there in an unimaginable range of genres) instead of pointedly ruining other people's shit in order to make something you, yourself, probably won't enjoy at the end of it anyway.

The biggest problem about this is they're taking a story no-one who isn't already a fan, or sort of interested in the genre, cares/will care much about (probably seeing it as a "matrix rip off" at best) and then attempting to reboot it in a pretty careless, disrespectful and incompetent manner such that even the fanboys won't want to watch it either. And serially cutting the budget until they can't even sell it on the quality of the effects, or afford 3D filming/CG (seriously, how mega* would the ion cannon or tetsuo-blowing-up scenes look, done well, in 3D?), or half decent BGM... thus it sucks all-round.

The original animated version wasn't the best it could be either... it took a convoluted, six-book story, tried to cram it into a 150 minute movie, ran out of cash and had to cut a half hour out of the middle without doing a great deal of work to patch the gaping plot holes that resulted. But it sure looked good, and for the first hour and a bit did channel the graphic novel quite well.

I'll reiterate what I've said before... I wouldn't actually mind the fully westernised version being made... so long as they change the name. The whole premise of it is the horror of it taking place in a familiar, domestic environment, with the ultimate superweapon being a random small child with a normal name. Hence Otomo setting it in Tokyo (which hosts a pretty large fraction of his homeland's population) and calling the central macguffin-kid (far less of a macguffin in the GN, mind) Akira. Which is a pretty common, and indeed unisex given name in Japan.

Take the whole story, the premise, the ideas, the characterisations... transfer it to the states so it has that same sense of cosy, if dirty and bedraggled familiarity being suddenly and wholly wrecked... but change the name of the central macguffin, and with it the name of the film itself, if you're going to start changing the other characters' names in order to perpetuate the effect - and put a little note on the poster, in the lead credits, whatever saying "Based on 'Akira' by Katsuhiro Otomo'". This will also distance it from the original somewhat if it bombs, but give homage where it's due if it does well. Everyone comes out of it happy. And it even leaves the door open for a completely accurate live action remake sometime in the future... hopefully made by a japanese movie studio. Sort of like the situation with Ringu/Ring, Ju-On/The Grudge, Girl With The Dragon Tattoo etc, but in reversed order of production. Instead of making another "Taxi"**.

There are other ways around this other than "make a cruddy reboot of the original, pretending it's the real deal, seemingly just to troll fanboys" or "make a quarter of it then give up". Who knows, maybe Nolan and Green will come to realise that as well.

* Yeah, I sort of slipped into the vernacular of the age at which I first read the manga, serialised in a short lived magazine in the early 90s...
** OH GOOD GOD I DIDN'T NEED TO BE REMINDED OF THAT previous hollywood foray into wrong-headed remakery

PS, Reaper... were you drunk when you saw it? The plotline isn't too hard to follow.
T-minus *some number of years*, limited but global nuclear war. Tokyo done got blowed up.
Flashforward to present, biker gangs formed of war orphans run riot causing minor mayhem in the rebuilt city. One of them chances across the scene of a secret black-ops military program's test subject (into psychic, and physical-regeneration abilities) on the run, has a fairly bad bike accident as a result, gets nabbed by the black hat feds in their pretend ambulance and is injected with some stuff in a syringe. Has some crazy nightmares in the pretend hospital. Then released back to his buddies who are loitering at a vocational college. Finds some dudes beating up on his girlfriend and goes nuts, but isn't recovered well enough and needs buddy Kaneda's help.
From there on, all kinds of crazy shit happens as his induced psychic-mutant powers kick in, out of control. He part-destroys the rebuilt bit of tokyo in a tantrum, loses an arm (replacing it with a psychically controlled scrap-metal prosthesis), and tries to rule over it. Previous-and-still-sort-of buddy Kaneda steps in to take him down with a looted laser gun. Government gets involved and sics the ion cannon on his ass. Still, he prevails, but loses control of his regenerative abilities completely and turns into The Blob.
For some reason in the middle of this, Akira - the original, most powerful, and least controllable of the psychic-mutant test subjects is released from Cryosleep (like I said ... a large chunk went missing out of the middle) and blows up the rest of the city... killing both himself and Tetsuo in the process and freeing their tortured spirits. Kaneda and a few other random protagonists survive in order to start rebuilding again.

I've probably got a few parts in the wrong order there and maybe missed a section or two, as it's been a good few years since I last saw or read any of it, but that's the general synopsis of the movie version as far as I remember. No more complicated than a typical Pixar flick.

tahrey:

Reaper195:
...and maybe I'll be able to watch something called Akira and not sit there with that Jackie Chan rage comic look on my face at the end.

Yes, I watched Akira, and had no fucking clue what the shit happened. ~blablabla~.....THE FUCK!?

snip

I just want to start out by saying that I love Akira.

To be fair to Reaper, the biggest issue with the anime was that they tried to condense the source material into a short movie. The subtleties and symbolism, while present were a lot harder to work into a small window.

If you want the story, read the manga. The best part about the Akira movie was the ridiculously good quality of the animation work for the time.

CAPTCHA: delidan implementa. Sounds like a Harry Potter spell.

vansau:
The best thing Warner Bros. could do at this point is just to let the movie die quietly and start over from scratch in a few years' time never touch it again.

There. I fixed it.

gphjr14:
[quote="Reaper195" post="7.337631.13646816"]I actually want to see the Hollywood make this. Because I know for a fact that fanboys of the original will cry, and maybe I'll be able to watch something called Akira and not sit there with that Jackie Chan rage comic look on my face at the end.

Yes because Hollywood always translates animes into perfectly coherent masterpieces.

/quote]

*Looks at DBZ picture*

....and? It may have been nothing like the series, but it was a decent movie by itself, and made sense. I watched Akira a couple of weeks ago (Am 22) and thought it was fucking stupid. None of the characters were interesting, there was never any explanation as to what Akira even was, who those green kid things were, or what even happened in the last half hour of that bullshit.

vansau:

Admittedly, Nolan has some pretty solid work in his portfolio, but even if Warner Bros. can get him to work on Akira, it may be way too late to save this particular turkey. The movie has had too many problems, too many delays, too many compromises to meet executives' demands, and generally sounds like something that won't be even remotely faithful to the source material. The best thing Warner Bros. could do at this point is just to let the movie die quietly and start over from scratch in a few years' time.

Source: Variety via Screen Rant

Was this meant to be part of the article or in the comments section???

Reaper195:

*Looks at DBZ picture*

....and? It may have been nothing like the series, but it was a decent movie by itself, and made sense. I watched Akira a couple of weeks ago (Am 22) and thought it was fucking stupid. None of the characters were interesting, there was never any explanation as to what Akira even was, who those green kid things were, or what even happened in the last half hour of that bullshit.

If you can't understand Akira and you actually thought the DB movie was decent I guess that's just how it is. Not everyone is going to like the same thing and some people like things the rest of the world finds horrible, that's just how it is.

Kitsuna10060:
for fucks sake ....

Hollywood, 'mer a second

Not even when written by the Nolan's? They haven't written a non-awesome movie yet and whilst I don't know anything about Akira, if it's got any sort of intelligence, he is _the_ person for intellectual thrillers

BrotherRool:

Kitsuna10060:
for fucks sake ....

Hollywood, 'mer a second

Not even when written by the Nolan's? They haven't written a non-awesome movie yet and whilst I don't know anything about Akira, if it's got any sort of intelligence, he is _the_ person for intellectual thrillers

even with them i have my doubts it will be good given the 'flexibility' of the source material (and said marital being kind of shit to begin with) guess we'll see but i've got my expectations nice and low, as this whole movie smacks of a really bad idea.

Let it die, let it die, let it die, let it die....

Can't they see that nobody wants this?

Eh, I'd rather it just die. They only way to do this film justice is to basically remake it word for word. I'd be up for that...

Just let it go, no one wants it made and there's so many people with original scripts deserving of the money.

Besides, everyone's waiting to unleash a torrent of "whitewashing" articles over it that will have the net flooded with arguments for at least 2 years

Reaper195:

*Looks at DBZ picture*

You might have missed the point. It's not a matter of whether the movie was good or understandable or not. It's more about how the movies had almost NOTHING to do with the original Dragon ball story, except for maybe names and...well, that's the biggest resemblance there is.

Imagine if someone claimed to be working on a Superman sequel and instead you're given Crank. I mean, they're both unstoppable and they both have lady issues, right? And the protagonist is a guy.
It's the same reason why people hated Final Fantasy: The Spirit Within. I personally loved the movie, but I have to admit it had nothing to do with what fans knew and loved related to the FF universe, I.E, spiky haired guys, swords, magic, summons, chocobos, etc. Hence why it's almost forgotten and Advent Children was better welcomed.

Akira may or may not be dumb. But changing the original story into something completely different is not the solution. Speculating, if the director hates the original plot, then he better step off and work on some other project that fits his needs. And if the movie just doesn't work at all, then let it die.
This is where I stand regarding this. No movie, just let the whole thing die for once and for all.

I don't know; if the American Akira has to get made (which I'm certainly not accepting as a given), it could do a lot worse than taking on a writer who has a reputation for expecting a certain level of intelligence from his audience and refusing to spoon-feed plot points to those who refuse to pay attention.

Micalas:

tahrey:

Reaper195:

snip

I just want to start out by saying that I love Akira.

To be fair to Reaper, the biggest issue with the anime was that they tried to condense the source material into a short movie. The subtleties and symbolism, while present were a lot harder to work into a small window.

If you want the story, read the manga. The best part about the Akira movie was the ridiculously good quality of the animation work for the time.

CAPTCHA: delidan implementa. Sounds like a Harry Potter spell.

You hit the nail on the head. Akira the anime is like trying to condense The Lord of the Rings into one Ralph Bakshi movie. It just doesn't work, but for what it is, it's fucking awesome.

Fawxy:
Let it die, let it die, let it die, let it die....

Can't they see that nobody wants this?

Reaper195 wants it, then again he also thought the Dragon Ball movie was decent.

I actually think the Akira animated movie is far better than the manga. Yeah the manga is more expansive, but it starts to lose serious steam after Neo Tokyo's apocalypse. It's best feature is portraying society on the eve of catastrophe, and the anime focuses almost exclusively on that. Once everything becomes a huge crater and the general somehow turns into a hero, I pretty much lost interest.

Also I think the impressionistic nature of the anime's plotting makes it a quintessentially Japanese creation.

Zom-B:

Micalas:

You hit the nail on the head. Akira the anime is like trying to condense The Lord of the Rings into one Ralph Bakshi movie. It just doesn't work, but for what it is, it's fucking awesome.

Eh, I did credit that bit as not being the easiest to follow, but the rest of it wasn't exactly so difficult... ;-)

The real-world history of it all is quite literally that they started to run out of cash, thanks in part to the quality of the animation (trying to evoke the quite stunning levels of detail and quality of linework in the manga) and the choice was between patching it up as best as possible and getting some money back out of it, or go bankrupt with nothing but a three-quarters finished, unreleased movie to show for it. I'm led to believe it happens quite a bit in the anime universe - Studio Ghibli, for one, have had to tweak their films before because of it. Nausicaa definitely suffered this effect, and if Howl's Moving Castle and Ponyo didn't then I'd be very much surprised - they pretty much hit the climactic moment and immediately drop dead, even more starkly than Miyazaki's other typically denoument-lite works... as if someone was standing there with one eye on the budget and one on the completed keyframes, and blew a whistle as soon as the final one of the latter dealing with the main story was completed, leaving just enough of the former to pay for tweening, grading and printing.

ANYWAY
I had forgotten, so thanks for the reminder - first I heard of the Akira reboot, before the whole thing turned dreadfully sour, was that it was going to be made in two parts, Harry Potter 7 style. It doesn't quite have the epic length of LOTR (and certainly not the 6-disc, all-day marathon of the directors' cut), but splitting it into a couple of 2-and-a-bit hour films (probably with Tetsuo's first attempt to E.X.P.L.O.D.E the city being the end-of-part-1 cliffhanger) would definitely give the story a lot more room to breathe. Once the decision was made to cut it down to a single parter, it became a whole lot harder to save... I mean, if you're taking something whose first incarnation started well funded but ended up sucking the budget more than dry, but you're STARTING production on your version from a position of having no cash to spare... it's probably not a good idea. Quality will suffer. Your attempted "better than the real thing" reboot will fail its POST.

Ok, I LOVE the original film (have not read the manga but I am looking to purchase it at the moment) and this might not be as bad as percieved, only if they set it in Japan! If it is some westernized bullshit where its set in New York or something I am not gonna go see it.

No matter who writes the script, the big question is whether it ends up like this...

eh... great as the new Batman films are, the dialogue is pretty atrocious in places. The Dark Knight was great because of Nolan's direction and Ledger's acting, in my opinion. I don't think Nolan's made a film withgenuinely good dialogue since Memento. He's simply been able to make brilliant films despite the fact his characters to nothing but exposit at each other, and occasionally crack humourless jokes.

I can just imagine an Akira re-make as written by the Nolans:

Kei: I don't understand. Why did Tetsuo have to go?

Kaneda: Because he's the godlike sociopath Neo-Tokyo deserves, but not the one it needs. He's a silent psycho. A watchful demigod. A dark mentally-unhinged-but-we're-still-trying-to-portray-him-as-a-hero knight.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:
eh... great as the new Batman films are, the dialogue is pretty atrocious in places. The Dark Knight was great because of Nolan's direction and Ledger's acting, in my opinion. I don't think Nolan's made a film withgenuinely good dialogue since Memento. He's simply been able to make brilliant films despite the fact his characters to nothing but exposit at each other, and occasionally crack humourless jokes.

I can just imagine an Akira re-make as written by the Nolans:

Kei: I don't understand. Why did Tetsuo have to go?

Kaneda: Because he's the godlike sociopath Neo-Tokyo deserves, but not the one it needs. He's a silent psycho. A watchful demigod. A dark mentally-unhinged-but-we're-still-trying-to-portray-him-as-a-hero knight.

Thank you for that.

I mean it.

No sarcasm.

OP: There's no way either of those writers (especially the latter) could come up with a suitable Akira script. The original movie is still good, and the English dub with Johnny Yong Bosch is good enough to turn off the subtitles. Enough of this, Hollywood.

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.