Sony Thinks Bad Mexican Food Can Sell Vitas

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Buy a Taco Bell $5 box and get a chance to win Sony's new handheld.

Sony isn't exactly selling Vitas like hotcakes in Japan. This week, the new PlayStation Vita placed fifth in the hardware sales chart behind Nintendo's 3DS, the 6 year old Wii, and Sony's own PS3 and PSP. That's right, the unit the Vita was meant to replace sold better in Japan last week. Sony doesn't want such meager sales to continue in its February worldwide release so how do they plan to bolster confidence in the PlayStation Vita? Why, promote it through the purchase of Cheesy Gordita Crunches, of course.

Here's the brilliant scheme. If you buy a specifically labeled $5 Buck Box - which happily contains meat, cheese and tortillas in various combinations with high fructose corn syrup - between January 26 and March 11, 2012 you will get a code that you can enter online to win a PlayStation Vita. You will also be able to go online and battle your "friends" in Reality Fighters Dojo for a chance to win.

Barring that, you can record a video proclaiming to the world all you would do to earn a PlayStation Vita. Such videos will be posted and users will vote for the most entertaining boast. Predictably, the winner will get a PlayStation Vita.

(The prize pack for all these is actually a PS Vita 3G/Wi-Fi system, a copy of Little Deviants, a 4GB PS Vita Memory Card and your choice of one of the following: ModNation Racers: Road Trip, MLB 12 The Show or LittleBigPlanet. There's no word on how much you have to pay for the 3g service for these "free" Vitas.)

I'm as happy as the next guy to gorge on some tepid "tex-mex" slathered with Fire sauce, but I don't think I'll be schlepping down to Taco Bell just to get a PlayStation Vita. Am I crazy or is Sony betting a little too much on the fast food/gaming connection?

Source: PlayStation blog and NeoGaf

Mr Tito, you're the first person I know to refer to Taco Bell stuff as "food" and do it (presumably) with a straight face.

Let me think about this promotion... No, I still don't want a Vita and still don't want Taco Bell. Not for me, at least.

Taco Bell and PSV: Two half-ass flavours that go mediocre together.

The PSV doesnt need a taco to sell it, it needs a Monster Hunter title.

I still think the holiday sales of 3DS's is more due to the latest installment of the series coming out than the actual holidays. Not meant in a way to slander the 3DS, if an english version of Tri G came out tomorrow id buy it and a 3DS without even a first thought.

I think they missed the bandwagon, and it's getting further and further away all the time.

I practically live on Taco Bell Tito! *itssoawesome*

Hey, now. Taco Bell does not serve bad Mexican food. To be bad Mexican food, it must first be Mexican food.

Also, by your casual trashing of Taco Bell, I can only assume you have yet to partake of the magnificence that is the Grilled Stuffed Burrito with Steak.

Lord Beautiful:
Hey, now. Taco Bell does not serve bad Mexican food. To be bad Mexican food, it must first be Mexican food.

Also, by your casual trashing of Taco Bell, I can only assume you have yet to partake of the magnificence that is the Grilled Stuffed Burrito with Steak.

I had one of those yesterday. I normally avoid Tack Bell, but after sampling that... I don't intend to change my mind. It was 'meh' at best.

As for handhelds, well they seem to be going the way of other portable electronics. Getting their functions rolled up into general use smartphones.

Taco Bell never claim it is "Mexican" food. I've had "Authentic Mexican" food that was way worse than Taco Hell, and finally the $5 Box is usually a great deal.

No taco bells in mexico, not a chance for a vita for me.

I have access to this wonderful genuine Mexican restaurant. So, Taco Bell was more or less an unknown to me until only very recently due to a road trip.

If I won a Vita at all, I'm unsure if I would even use it.
Not for a lack of gaming potential, but because Sony has been pissing me off in the last year.

So I could win a free vita for eating tacos....

Now when you're stuck in the can, shitting yourself inside out, you'll think of Sony!

Ao Taco Bell isn't that good? Is there an English equivilant?

ThyNameIsMud:
I practically live on Taco Bell Tito! *itssoawesome*

Yup. I'mma win me a Vita.

Sabrestar:
Mr Tito, you're the first person I know to refer to Taco Bell stuff as "food" and do it (presumably) with a straight face.

The funny thing about this is that the meat in Taco Bell tacos technically isn't even legally considered meat.

OT: The only Mexican food Taco Bell serves are tacos. Believe it or not, Hot fritos in a burrito is not an everyday Mexican dish.

Eh, I see the idea behind it. Hand out Vita's to try and increase sales of games and the memory cards to make up for lack on Vita sales. Sadly, there's no Taco Bell's near me, and even if one was nearby, I highly doubt I'd bother, as I don't like games of chance.

Magnus:

Whether or not it's good isn't really what attracts people. You can feed a family of 12 for about 3 bucks.

Long live Taco bell!
Long live PSVitas!

Down with Burgers!

Viva Taco Bella!

Shame Tito has such a bad opinion of Taco Bell, but I really don't see anything wrong with Sony promoting their stuff through fast food, Nintendo has advertised through McDonalds, Call of Duty with Mountain Dew, Battlefield with Dr.Pepper, Pizza Hut had something with some game companies...etc.

JoesshittyOs:

Magnus:

Whether or not it's good isn't really what attracts people. You can feed a family of 12 for about 3 bucks.

Ah, now I understand.

Lord Beautiful:

the double decker taco is the only true taco to be had good sir/fox-demon-bandit

that is assuming the taco bell where i live can get in gear and NOT take 30+ minutes to get a simple order out -.-

as for the give away thing .... >.> it's pretty weak, and sounds kinda desperate to me

While Taco Bell may not qualify as food fit for human consumption, I love it anyways, and will probably try this once or twice, because there's no way I will pay for a Vita at current pricing

Greg Tito:

Buy a Taco Bell $5 box and get a chance to win Sony's new handheld.

Sony isn't exactly selling Vitas like hotcakes in Japan. This week, the new PlayStation Vita placed fifth in the hardware sales chart behind Nintendo's 3DS, the 6 year old Wii, and Sony's own PS3 and PSP. That's right, the unit the Vita was meant to replace sold better in Japan last week. Sony doesn't want such meager sales to continue in its February worldwide release so how do they plan to bolster confidence in the PlayStation Vita? Why, promote it through the purchase of Cheesy Gordita Crunches, of course.

Here's the brilliant scheme. If you buy a specifically labeled $5 Buck Box - which happily contains meat, cheese and tortillas in various combinations with high fructose corn syrup - between January 26 and March 11, 2012 you will get a code that you can enter online to win a PlayStation Vita. You will also be able to go online and battle your "friends" in Reality Fighters Dojo for a chance to win.

Barring that, you can record a video proclaiming to the world all you would do to earn a PlayStation Vita. Such videos will be posted and users will vote for the most entertaining boast. Predictably, the winner will get a PlayStation Vita.

(The prize pack for all these is actually a PS Vita 3G/Wi-Fi system, a copy of Little Deviants, a 4GB PS Vita Memory Card and your choice of one of the following: ModNation Racers: Road Trip, MLB 12 The Show or LittleBigPlanet. There's no word on how much you have to pay for the 3g service for these "free" Vitas.)

I'm as happy as the next guy to gorge on some tepid "tex-mex" slathered with Fire sauce, but I don't think I'll be schlepping down to Taco Bell just to get a PlayStation Vita. Am I crazy or is Sony betting a little too much on the fast food/gaming connection?

Source: PlayStation blog and NeoGaf

Since when is Taco Bell Mexican food? Its watered down fast food. Its like saying French Fries are French or fortune cookies came from China. It doesn't make any sense.

Ultratwinkie:

Since when is Taco Bell Mexican food? Its watered down fast food. Its like saying French Fries are French or fortune cookies came from China. It doesn't make any sense.

Damn, ninja'd.

As a true Mexican, I can completely agree with this statement. Taco bell doesn't sell anything that could be considered remotely close to REAL tacos, let alone Mexican food. Real tacos are made with edible meat and soft tortillas and whatever else you feel like adding, usually lime juice, sail and...well, salsa, chopped onions, whatever. Now, compare that to whatever Taco bell sells and...yeah, it's pretty sad.

I'm sorry, it's just that I've been struggling with that forever. People who have never been t exposed to true tacos and think Taco bell's tacos are the real deal. You know, gives us bad rep and it's just a lie. And sadly, there isn't any Mexican equivalent of this place that can set things right, at least not that it is as widely known as TB.

On topic: Even if someone walked up to me and shoved a Vita into my hands...well, I'd probably sell it. But I wouldn't keep it! The Vita seems like it's gonna be high maintenance, maybe at the same level as a home console and sorry, but the Vita can't replace my PS3, ironically. I mean, have you guys seen the price of a single memory card?! No, thanks.
I'm not offended by Sony advertizing the Vita through lame fast food. I'm offended by the fact that they chose Taco Bell as their sponsor. Or the other way around. Was McDonalds not available or what?
(No, McDonalds is just as equally nasty but at least it is more well known and accepted, sadly. I'm a 100% sure their propaganda would be more successful there)

I love Taco Bell. I don't adjust my monocle while sipping port and eating food I flew in from Mexico on my private food jet, like most of you apparently do. I live in Manhattan. Authentic Mexican food is few and far between here. I'll take taco Bell over "authentic" Mexican food any day, actually. I think it tastes better. Extra red sauce on everything = win.

I was going to buy a Vita next month anyway, so I might as well combine my weekly trips to Taco Bell with a chance to get a free one. But a 3G one? Just give me the wi-fi one, please.

I predict there will be a lot of stoners getting Vitas.

GreatTeacherCAW:
I love Taco Bell. I don't adjust my monocle while sipping port and eating food I flew in from Mexico on my private food jet, like most of you apparently do. I live in Manhattan. Authentic Mexican food is few and far between here. I'll take taco Bell over "authentic" Mexican food any day, actually. I think it tastes better. Extra red sauce on everything = win.

I was going to buy a Vita next month anyway, so I might as well combine my weekly trips to Taco Bell with a chance to get a free one. But a 3G one? Just give me the wi-fi one, please.

The West Coast is full of Mexican or Tex Mex food. Saying Taco Bell is Mexican food is like going to France and asking for French Fries. Besides, Taco Bell cant equate to a good torta anyway.

I take offense and I think I speak for all people who know and love real Mexican food.
Taco Bell is NOT Mexican food!

Haha the PSP outsold the Vita XD

I don't plan on getting one for the time being anyway but it's way too early to discount the Vita just yet. Yes it's being outsold by the PSP, but the PS3 didn't fair much better against the PS2 for quite some time. Also, it's january. A big mistake is releasing after the holiday season, people have already spent large amounts of money just a few weeks ago. I imagine like the PS3 once the Vita goes down in price it'll pick up in sales, also next Christmas they'll probably shift a fair few units I'd say. Maybe I'm wrong but the thing with having the big three is with so few options it's hard for a console to completely fail Dreamcast style. The only modern alternative is the 3DS which is a different beast entirely. Once they start cranking out generic fps after generic fps the average console gamer will pay attention.

Note, that is not an elitist shot against console gamers, I'm one myself it's just an observation based on the sales of MW3, the top 20 xbox titles for 2011 and the top 10 selling games of the year.

deidara:
Haha the PSP outsold the Vita XD

That's twice in a few years Sony has done that with their own product.

As for people who don't want to go Taco Bell, I understand. Try the video of what you'll do thing. I plan on it.

Rednog:
Shame Tito has such a bad opinion of Taco Bell, but I really don't see anything wrong with Sony promoting their stuff through fast food, Nintendo has advertised through McDonalds, Call of Duty with Mountain Dew, Battlefield with Dr.Pepper, Pizza Hut had something with some game companies...etc.

The difference there is that the other foods and drinks you listened are generally classified as "good" to "passable" where Taco Bell is considered by many to be crap. Now I like Taco Bell, but I can see why associating your currently struggling-to-find-a-market handheld with a fast food restaurant that many people don't like is a bad idea.

Or they could box up some of those Vitas and ship them to North America...
Oh, and not make it shit while they're at it. Now I guess I'm being unreasonable.

No Taco Bell in Norway... I doubt i'd buy anymore into fast food just because they promised me stuff i didn't even particularily want anyways.

From this thread i conclude that Taco Bell isn't even that good by american fast food standards (which are already worse than MY standards to fast food) so i guess my policy of making my own food despite living in a college dorm is gonna stand for now and forever (unless i somehow gather up the money to go to a proper restaurant)

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here