Baffling Comparison Places Kindergarten Cop In Silent Hill

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Pyramid Head isn't evil, he just has a tumor.

Ready for completely bizarre cross-media linkage? Based on a series of images culled from Konami's original PlayStation release of Silent Hill and the 1990 Arnold Schwarzenegger film Kindergarten Cop, the two properties apparently take place in the same location.

I know what you're thinking. "Nex, Silent Hill is set in a foggy, non-descript town full of supernatural horrors and the physical manifestation of psychological trauma, while Kindergarten Cop is set in Astoria, Oregon! You've been to Astoria! You should know the difference!"

Yes reader, you are correct. I've been to Astoria often. It's only a few hours away. Never once in all my time there did I ever encounter a single twitching biological monstrosity, but then again, I also never encountered a Terminator robot shouting at a class of 6 year olds. So really, who am I to doubt the findings of a group of obsessive Silent Hill fans?

If you don't believe me, have a look at the images in the gallery below, taken from a recent post on Silent Hill Forum dot com. In that post a user calling his/herself "Giromancy," offers little in the way of editorializing, instead letting the images and their blatant similarities, do all the talking.

Now, granted, there is a pretty likely and completely believable explanation for this. Silent Hill was originally created by a team of Japanese developers, so it stands to reason that the devs would look for somewhat obscure sources of Americana on which to base the miscellaneous decorations they had to scatter throughout their sleepy, horrifying town. It's not entirely inconceivable that the team watched Kindergarten Cop and innocuously swiped a few details here and there.

Of course, there's also the possibility that this is a long-dormant facet of the game's underlying horror that Konami hoped had been lost to the sands of time. Maybe the madness of Silent Hill is encroaching into our reality, retroactively altering beloved classic films in its gradual, nefarious quest to absorb us all into that terrifying fog.

Actually, that's a pretty stupid idea. It's probably just a weird coincidence.

Source: Silent Hill Forum, via Kotaku

I thought I lived in Silent Hill, shuffling people with barely and vocabulary and a thick fog of (weed) smoke hanging in the air.....obviously I'm mistaken.

Also, with you talking about a Terminator teaching a class of kids, I remember when I was younger I used to think that Arnie was actually a robot in real life and also had some fucked up nightmares because of it. Cheers mum for letting your 4 year old watch T2: Judgement Day, worked out well.

My mind has been thoroughly fucked by the brilliance here.

Huh....

All I have to say is that I'm glad Konami didn't model Harry after the Terminator, although that would've been mildly entertaining.

"Cheryl, get to the choppa!"

If you think this is bad just wait until you find out that Jill Valentine from Resident Evil was actually the grown up child Arnold S. had in the movie "Junior"!

I wonder why it took nearly 14 years to see this reference. BTW what is Kindergarten Cop about? Never heard about it.

I'm just amazed that someone watched Kindergarten Cop so many times to see the similarities.

Is it just me, or the locations are actually really, REALLY different, and only a few small details seem to be similar? I mean, is it possible that these posters and small details were relatively common in USA (I am from Italy, so I can't judge them from my personal experience)?

This umm... this has been common knowledge for years now guys... Great job picking up on it just now. :/

Fiz_The_Toaster:
"Cheryl, get to the choppa!"

That made me chuckle.

OT: These are astonishingly pixelated similarities. And quite creepy at that.

I'd say more homage than direct setting, like details someone liked from the movie and decided to replicate in-game.

Some of those are a bit...tenuous. Oooh, they've both got a school bus just like most other schools in America! Ooh they've both got medicine cabinets just like frikking everywhere...

Pallindromemordnillap:
Some of those are a bit...tenuous. Oooh, they've both got a school bus just like most other schools in America! Ooh they've both got medicine cabinets just like frikking everywhere...

Damn it... Ninja'd! That was just what I was going to say! Both those points too! :/

Seriously though! School but, that could just as much be a Napoleon Dynamite reference! I expect it is just a product of it being he last american film the designer saw before adding the relics!

I see easter eggs. I'm thinking the Silent Hill devs were fond of that movie and decided to pay homage to it by putting a bunch of icons from it in the game. There's also the change they're trying to fuck with us.

Blue Musician:
I wonder why it took nearly 14 years to see this reference. BTW what is Kindergarten Cop about? Never heard about it.

Standard fish-out-of-water comedy that turns more thriller as it progresses. Arnold's character is a cop whose partner is set to go undercover at a kindergarten, but she falls ill so he has to take over despite having neither the training nor temperament to handle it.

This might be the scariest thing I've ever seen. Why Kindergarten Cop of all movies? Why?

Pallindromemordnillap:

Does every school bus also have the number 7 in the exact same spot, and has the "Ford" branding in the exact same spot of the grill?

SirCannonFodder:

Pallindromemordnillap:

Does every school bus also have the number 7 in the exact same spot, and has the "Ford" branding in the exact same spot of the grill?

Wow, thanks for noticing that 7 on the bus.This makes my WTF moment of the day.

SirCannonFodder:

Pallindromemordnillap:

Quite possibly. Its just the same model of school bus, so what? Probably hundreds of them that look just like that in the real world. I still see no connection

I would have never...
Wait, how did someone notice these? Either they played Silent Hill 100 times and watched Kindergarten Cop, or they watched Kindergarten Cop 100 times and then played Silent Hill. Either way, my mind has been blown.

One of Arnie's more obscure film's seems like a pretty bizarre entity to make vague allusions to.

Dude, The Goonies took place in Astoria. The movie you shot to first was Kindergarten Cop?

Now it makes sense why Pyramid Head is so buff, he's actually Arnold Schwarzenegger in disguise!

I'm sorry but having a school bus which both says 'school bus' and feature the same brand logo don't count. Neither does having a Red Cross on a Medical Cabinet. I just don't see how common features=same thing. But that seven, there's something you could relate.

I know everything about Silent Hill.....I did not know this....

ares556600:
Why is this all over the web? We've known the school to be a reference to it for a while. Almost everything in Silent Hill 1 is an egg or reference in some way.

One website reports on it, all others copy and paste. The way the industry works.

I say ive never heard of it, but i might of, and not cared that much.

There was a page about silent hill easter eggs with over 100 easter eggs but it didn't have this one. Silent Hill continues to surprise us after 13 years.

Earnest Cavalli:

The person/people behind this need to be recruited by the CIA. That kind of crazy attention to detail needs to be put to good use!

mdqp:
Is it just me, or the locations are actually really, REALLY different, and only a few small details seem to be similar? I mean, is it possible that these posters and small details were relatively common in USA (I am from Italy, so I can't judge them from my personal experience)?

I can judge, and at the time, those were fairly popular posters.

Pallindromemordnillap:

SirCannonFodder:

Pallindromemordnillap:

Quite possibly. Its just the same model of school bus, so what? Probably hundreds of them that look just like that in the real world. I still see no connection

The 7 is in a close enough spot to be a really freaky coincidence, but not the exact same spot. Grills for products like that ARE mass produced, so yes, the Ford logo would sit in the exact same spot on multiple buses.

0_o If none of these pics are shopped, that's downright freaky. How would someone even think to compare the two?

Don't you only encounter foggy Silent Hill if you've killed someone or done something similarly henious (or someone draws you in there)?

All of these places in the pictures are pretty similar. I think the deal sealer here is that both buses have a 7 on them. That's when I was like ok...something's up here.

Monshroud:
I'm just amazed that someone watched Kindergarten Cop so many times to see the similarities.

My thought exactly. I don't even remember those specific details in Silent Hill and I doubt I would even notice them after watching the film several times.

SirCannonFodder:

Pallindromemordnillap:

I was quite prepared to just wave that one aside and put it down to there being so many school buses in America that look like that. Then I saw the number 7... Shit like that messes with your head man...

Siege_TF:
Don't you only encounter foggy Silent Hill if you've killed someone or done something similarly henious (or someone draws you in there)?

Pretty much. There's 3 versions of Silent Hill. The regular run down abandoned Silent Hill which normal people would see, the foggy inbetween Silent Hill that seems to be the basis for most people who are drawn there and the really twisted rust and blood Silent Hill which changes its appearance based on whatever flavour of psychological trauma the protagonist happens to suffer from.

tetron:
All of these places in the pictures are pretty similar. I think the deal sealer here is that both buses have a 7 on them. That's when I was like ok...something's up here.

This. All of you saying "the bus doesn't count," it's actually quite the icing on the proverbial cake.

esperandote:
Silent Hill continues to surprise us after 23 years.

It's only been 13 years! 13! There's no way I missed a decade of my life somewhere. Honestly, that comment scared me more than the game itself...

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here