[UPDATE] Sega Knows How to Stop SOPA

Pages 1 2 NEXT

[UPDATE] Sega Knows How to Stop SOPA

Apparently issues like SOPA are "generally caused by bad installs or junk data that's stuck in the system memory."

While many publishers are keeping their lips tightly shut when it comes to the SOPA issue, Sega seems to be taking a more ... practical stance.

When one Hot Blooded Gaming reader sent Sega Customer Service an email containing a passionate pre-written letter from The Escapist contributor and Destructoid editor, Jim Sterling, Sega emailed him back with the following sage advice:

"Generally these issues are caused by bad installs or junk data that's stuck in the system's memory," replied Sega. "The first suggestion would be to perform a hard reset on the device. It's best to attempt this any time you experience performance problems with your device or have an app crash. If that doesn't work, it's suggested you uninstall the app, perform a hard reset, reinstall and then perform one more hard reset before launching the game.

"If you're [sic] problems continue, please let us know."

So, if I'm reading this correctly, all we have to do is perform a hard reset, then "reinstall" the United States Government. I'll break out my AK-47 and let you know how that works out, Sega.

While this is obviously a, humorously inappropriate, automated response, it's a stark reminder that Sega hasn't come out for, or against, the controversial bill. But by remaining a member of the ESA, and not speaking out against SOPA, Sega is putting itself very much in the 'for' camp.

Update: Sega has responded with an amusing video that contains an apology for the confusion.

Source: Hot Blooded Gaming

I want to think that this was intentional and good natured joking on Sega's part. Applying this to Congress seems oddly fitting.

SEGA actually responded to Sterling via twitter with this link
youtu.be/-zMt_nnjpuI
Hilarious

Grey Carter:
Apparently issues like SOPA are "generally caused by bad installs or junk data that's stuck in the system memory."

Damn incumbents.

Hard Resetting the Government, tch Sega your wisdom once again is years ahead of us all.

Well, if the US government went through a "full reinstall", as in every upper level member got booted out of office and new ones instated, we might actually get something done for the economy. And to get our asses out of debt. For the love of God, why is the concept of "spend less than you make" such a difficult one to understand? Even while Bill Clinton was totally not getting his whacker licked in office, he managed to keep us out of debt.

...wait, I didn't mean to go into a rant. Forgive me.

believer258:
Well, if the US government went through a "full reinstall", as in every upper level member got booted out of office and new ones instated, we might actually get something done for the economy. And to get our asses out of debt. For the love of God, why is the concept of "spend less than you make" such a difficult one to understand? Even while Bill Clinton was totally not getting his whacker licked in office, he managed to keep us out of debt.

Stimulus packages are an effective way to boost an ailing economy. The philosophy of "do nothing but make cuts to programs" is really bad at getting an economy back on its feet. Traditionally, the government has met these drops in the economy by increasing spending and lowering taxes.
Edit: I know you probably don't want to get dragged into a debate on this, I was just trying to dispel the notion that spending, especially during a recession, is a bad idea.

And this is why I kept my dreamcast.

Hard Reset on the US government?

Well, it could certainly solve more problems than it would cause, but what are we going to do about reinstall?

Grey Carter:
So, if I'm reading this correctly, all we have to do is perform a hard reset, then "reinstall" the United States Government. I'll break out my AK-47 and let you know how that works out, Sega.

I'm forwarding this to Ted Nugent and the NRA. It's time for a re-install!

And to be clear to anyone who may misinterpret this, I'm of course joking.

OT: This put a smile on my face. Thank you, Sega.

RedEyesBlackGamer:

believer258:

Stimulus packages are an effective way to boost an ailing economy. The philosophy of "do nothing but make cuts to programs" is really bad at getting an economy back on its feet. Traditionally, the government has met these drops in the economy by increasing spending and lowering taxes.
Edit: I know you probably don't want to get dragged into a debate on this, I was just trying to dispel the notion that spending, especially during a recession, is a bad idea.

I know I shouldn't have brought it up in the first place. Economics melt my brain, anyway - how would anyone even think that spending when you've got things to pay off, even if you make as much money as the US government, is a good idea? Makes no sense to me, and doesn't seem to be making any cents for a lot of people either.

Sega are without a doubt gaining my Respect back. The next step is to make me want to play sonic yet again.

Charli:
Hard Resetting the Government, tch Sega your wisdom once again is years ahead of us all.

i know right o.o;; it would fix SO many more problems then just SOPA

Genesis does what Ninten-don't.

Spark a revolution, that is.

Terminate421:
Sega are without a doubt gaining my Respect back. The next step is to make me want to play sonic yet again.

Please. Sega aren't miracle workers.

gigastar:

Well, it could certainly solve more problems than it would cause, but what are we going to do about reinstall?

Well, we still have the original install file (The Constitution). It's the 200+ years of patches that could prove to be a problem.

believer258:

RedEyesBlackGamer:

believer258:

I know I shouldn't have brought it up in the first place. Economics melt my brain, anyway - how would anyone even think that spending when you've got things to pay off, even if you make as much money as the US government, is a good idea? Makes no sense to me, and doesn't seem to be making any cents for a lot of people either.

The aim of increased government spending is to improve the economy to a point where paying off the debt actually becomes viable. It's easier to pay off the debt with a sub-par economy than with one that's completely in the crapper.

Zachary Amaranth:

Terminate421:

Please. Sega aren't miracle workers.

Well, have you played Sonic Generations?

It was actually... good.

Most of the time, anyway.

OT: Well, many things in Congress need a hard reset...

Oh, Sega, you're so silly and insightful.

believer258:

Short Version: It ties into the concept of market confidence, which in turn spurs market growth, which in turn ties into tax revenue to pay for the package.

On topic: Heh, for once, I can't fault Sega's line of thinking here.
I've been hoping to uproot most fat-cat incumbents for over a decade now, who have rode the Party System for an easy paycheck for far too long.

I think we are about to witness the birth of a meme here. Let government screw up pics with the words "HARD RESET" be shooped!

Ah well, at least no one can say SOPA wasnt good for anything. I got a laugh out of it.

gigastar:

Use this guy as the prototype.

I see no flaws with this plan. LET'S DO IT!

this would be even better if it was flying wild hog giving the advice

Great but this just makes me wonder about your own position on SOPA Sega...

>:/

Moo!

I tried performing a hard reset, but then I took an arrow in the knee...

Silly Sega, Hard Reset isn't even your game...

Well thats all nice Sega, now stop making Sonic suck and your my favorite company again.

Aprilgold:
Well thats all nice Sega, now stop making Sonic suck and your my favorite company again.

Do you live in 2007 or something?

Aprilgold:

Then you'll be pleased to know that the latest game, Sonic Generations, is awesome, and the one before that, Colors, was pretty good too

OK, so where is the CTRL, ALT and DEL keys on Obama?, and how do we do it if he's busy taking his children to go watch Happy Feet 2?, I mean I haven't got tickets to see it, anyone here got any?

edit: Kudos Sega of America, Kudos.

And that's why you will always be my favourite company Sega. You always know how to put a smile on my face. Even if that was unintentional (which is likely) I still laughed and found the solution to be weirdly appropriate. The US needs a full reset starting with Congress.

DigitalSushi:
OK, so where is the CTRL, ALT and DEL keys on Obama?, and how do we do it if he's busy taking his children to go watch Happy Feet 2?, I mean I haven't got tickets to see it, anyone here got any?

Yeah, we really need top open up Obama's Task Manager. Let him know which programs are high priority or low priority and check if there is any useless activity that needs to be stopped.

That was amazingly, unintentionally clever and funny. Even better is their apology video, they're not LRR, but they came close.

After Sonic Generations and this, I oficially love Sega.

Furioso:

Aprilgold:

Then you'll be pleased to know that the latest game, Sonic Generations, is awesome, and the one before that, Colors, was pretty good too

Sonic Generations was good because it played it mainly safe, and I don't count rehashing old levels as a new game. I didn't like Colors much at all.

Balobo:

Aprilgold:

Do you live in 2007 or something?

Hold on, let me check whos president. Its a black guy and hes just getting out of office, so no I'm not.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.