Hudson Soft Ceases to Bee

Hudson Soft Ceases to Bee

Venerable developer, Hudson Soft, the studio behind Bomberman, is being absorbed into Konami.

On March 1st, Hudson, whose logo you can see to the right, will effectively cease to exist. On January 12th, Hudson board members agreed for the company to be absorbed into Konami Digital Entertainment.

Founded back in 1973 by brothers Yuji and Hiroshi Kudo, Hudson Soft began as a shop selling telecommunications devices and art photographs. The company began producing games in 1978 and became Nintendo's first third-party software vendor for the NES. In 1983 it produced Bomberman for the MSX, certainly its most enduring franchise. More recently, Hudson developed the Mario Party numbers one through eight and 2010's Lost in Shadow. Sadly, the developer has produced little else of note, except the woefully bad Bomberman: Act Zero, in the past half-decade. It was acquired by Konami back in April of last year.

Despite Hudson's descent into irrelevance in recent years, it's still a touch sad to see one of gaming's oldest names retired. I do, however, take some solace in the fact that the company's passing did allow me to use an absolutely fantastic pun in this article's headline.

Source: Andriasang

Good god, the pun. It stings.

You and your honeyed words...

And with that, my hopes of a new 3D Bomberman game to try and undo the sins of Act Zero die...
*sheds a small tear*

Irridium:

@Irridium, for the love of God, stop kicking the hornet's nest.

There's been a lot of buzz about this development.

Nice to see Husdon spreading their wings, let's just hope they don't get sucked into too much of a hive mind mentality at Konami.

Irridium:

MiracleOfSound:

Nice to see Husdon spreading their wings, let's just hope they don't get sucked into too much of a hive mind mentality at Konami.

This thread is absolutely swarming with puns. It gets rather annoying reading you people drone on and on. Sure it's sad when a old name passes on, but that's what happens when your ideas fail to pollinate.

So much for an Adventure Island remake.

MovieBob is gonna bee unhappy with this.

I wish all these people making puns would bee quiet.

Damnit!! Mario Party was a GOOD GAME! :(

Hive had enough of these terrible bee puns.

Still. I remember Hudson Soft from the NES and SNES days. A fair number of good memories there. I hope Konami treats them right.

RIP Hudson Soft

remember seeing that name when I booted up the old mario party games for my N64

I came into this thread because of the sheer awesomeness of its title.

And then I see the comments

I am a happy person.

It's unBEARable!

<_<

>_>

What do bears have to do with anything?

I think it's time for another playthrough of the original Bomberman in homage.

Now make another awesome under-the-radar Kororinpa like the original (no ants, no plot, just puzzles) and all will be accepted gratefully, Konami.

DVS BSTrD:

This thread is absolutely swarming with puns. It gets rather annoying reading you people drone on and on. Sure it's sad when a old name passes on, but that's what happens when your ideas fail to pollinate.

No need to bee such a drama queen, honey. Just agreeing with the workers, not being one of the usual drones :)

I'm sure whatever they produce next will be sweet nectar for our, er, ok I'll stop now

well i guess their games just don't generate enough buzz anymore to keep them afloat by themselves. although i cant help but think about how a lot of smaller game companies are absorbed into the larger ones these days.

i can't help but think that someday in the future, all games will be produced some giant company, it having absorbed all smaller companies before it into the hivemind...

MiracleOfSound:

DVS BSTrD:

No need to bee such a drama queen, honey. Just agreeing with the workers, not being one of the usual drones :)

I'm sure whatever they produce next will be sweet nectar for our, er, ok I'll stop now

Good thinking you were really starting to comb the bottom of the barrel.

DVS BSTrD:

Good thinking you were really starting to comb the bottom of the barrel.

That was good. Touche.

These puns are unbeelievable!
I'm really sad to see Hudson Soft absorbed though. They were really good.

I'm part of the hivemind that thinks Hudson was queen.
Goodbye hopes of a new Bloody Roar.
Le sigh.

The omens do not bode well for this...

MiracleOfSound:

This actually just got me thinking:
I'm really, really glad Michael Bay doesn't develop games.

AC10:

MiracleOfSound:

This actually just got me thinking:
I'm really, really glad Michael Bay doesn't develop games.

Wasn't Bobby Kotick like a gaming Michael Bay equivalent?

OT: I'll fondly remember Hudson for making the NES Adventure Island games (2 & 3, 1 sucked really bad) and the many hours I spent with my family and friends playing Mario Party in 2 different platforms. I also liked Bomberman 64. And Bloody Roar 2 was awesome.

I wish them the best for their new endeavors at Konami.

I must be the obligatory youngster that only knows them for their NDS games. At least they'll continue developing games somewhere else, I wish you the best of luck Hudsons.

The headline made me sad as I thought there were just disappearing but the fact that they're becoming part of Konami took the sting out of the story.

To anyone that thought the same, don't worry, bee happy.

Here's hoping they'll still make great games.

Rest in peace, Bee. You might have made Milo's Crazy Castle, but you have so much classics behind you it's nuts. You will always live in the hearts and collections of true retro-gamers.

MY GOD is this what we get since HankMan got banned?! its like the terrible pun thing has infected everyone!

On topic yeah, Sad to see an old hand of the gaming world fade away like that, weren't they behind the keflings games on XBeeLA at some point? Because those games were fun.

They brought us Bloody Roar! :<

DVS BSTrD:

Irridium:

MiracleOfSound:

Oh, don't be such a drama Queen.

Honestly, I'd forgotten Hudson still existed in the first place.

I'm sorry, but I have to post this, what with all the puns everywhere..

Sweet deal for Konami i guess.

To bee honest, i'm rather beedazzled at how many companies are kicking the bucket, then again i understand it is HudsoNs case beecause i haven't really seen much progress from them.

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.