Acknowledging Blackout, Politicians Ditch SOPA

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

GeorgW:
Is this gonna be like yesterday, and tomorrow they'll see the blackout is done and give their support to SOPA again?
Still, huge win for activism! I've signed so many petitions today, and I'm not even a US citizen. Good to see it hasn't been for nothing!

Earnest Cavalli:
Now that that's settled, who's up for a petition to get Firefly back on the air?

Now that's a petition I'd sign in a heart beat. Can we make one to send to Fox? I think we could actually make a difference, people may be on a petition high right now. Do it!!

Oh, I almost forgot my vuvuzela.
BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!

Now there's a thought. In addition to shutting down support chains on the internet, we all go buy vuvuzelas, and march right up to a supporter's office, and pretend like their office is hosting the world cup. The longer they hold out in support, the more we make their working and living spaces unbearably intolerable. The best defense of free speech is making people relish the freedom to shut the hell up.

Back to the calls to the senator.

Internet activism - The ability to protest without leaving the couch. Isn't technology great?

OT:
Is it just me or has Firefly become like Freebird at concerts? Its always shouted out, not because anyone seriously thinks it'll do any good, but because its always done at these sort of things.

A couple of sites I frequent were blacked out. Like, fully, not just a little bar. I use wikipedia often, and it was HIGHLY inconvenient for various researches.
Imagine the failing grades on some reports many kids will have.

This effects much more than I think the politicians realize, and I thank goodness that their eyes are opening.

Kross:

Kevlar Eater:
I'm a bit disappointed that Google hasn't completely shut down its service, worldwide, in protest to SOPA and PIPA. That would have sent an even clearer message to the masses on top of everything else.

There needs to be room for escalation if the Bill moves further towards completion. Today was more of a warning shot from the Internet. A much more stringent blackout could conceivably happen if SOPA/PIPA don't die in the next round.

Agreed. The people of the internet are not dumb (contrary to popular belief). We know how to troll the shit out of anybody, and this is no different.

Problem, Congress?

I called my congressman (Patrick Mchenry (R)-NC) today and his aides said that he planned to vote against it.

From the sound of the guy I got on the phone this was definitely not the first call he'd gotten about SOPA today.

I have to chuckle at all the Escapist users who complained that this wouldn't work.
/chuckle.

Now that I'm done with that - INTERNET, FUCK YES.

TIME FOR CELEBRATION

While I wish that Facebook and Youtube would have blacked out as well, at least Google is supporting the protest. (Go look at their banner)

Taunta:
TIME FOR CELEBRATION

While I wish that Facebook and Youtube would have blacked out as well, at least Google is supporting the protest. (Go look at their banner)

TIME FOIR AN ACID FLASHBACK

Well i think if things go further a total blackout by goodgle/yahoo/bing/ most major search engines would cripple the public. 90% of them have forgotten how to enter http adresses.

I do believe the appropriate phrase is A-Boo-Ya!

By the way:

To all the people going "how will the blackout actually help?" or "it's just inconvenient and can't change anything"-

I rest my case.

Damn... the black out worked that well, that quickly? I guess people gotta remember, dont fuck with the internet...

implodinggoat:
I called my congressman (Patrick Mchenry (R)-NC) today and his aides said that he planned to vote against it.

From the sound of the guy I got on the phone this was definitely not the first call he'd gotten about SOPA today.

That's good it saves me a phone call I'm from Burke County and was ready to let NC politicians know that if they vote for this BS act they shouldn't expect my vote in coming elections.

WanderingFool:
Damn... the black out worked that well, that quickly? I guess people gotta remember, dont fuck with the internet...

Like others have said, I think there would have been even more of an impact if Google or Youtube did their own blackout. Those are sites I use -daily-. Millions of other people do as well.

Well, I for one find this to be encouraging...

BUT

I'm not going to stop protesting until this thing is dead and LONG buried. I will personally sit on the grave with my picket to make sure it doesn't turn into a zombie.

dogstile:
People across the world, of all ethnicity's and religions banding together for a common cause. Never thought i'd see the day, its beautiful.

So the internet is capable of something more than silly cat images and ranting. Beautiful indeed.
So as someone said above: Next we eradicate SOPA and PIPA completely and bring about world peace. :D

Back and forth, back and forth, the SOPA waves sway back and forth.

In all seriousness, I'm impressed the internet was able to sway portions of Congress in a single day.

SOPA: 1
Internet: 2

The ball is in their court, let's see how they play it.

Palademon:
This calls for..

...well I guess a small victory screech.

Fine, I'll chip in.

OT: Good to hear. All they needed was a little kick in the pants.

Wow internet activision that doesn't involve Anonymous actually works! What did we need Anonymous for again?

gyroscopeboy:
Wow internet activision that doesn't involve Anonymous actually works! What did we need Anonymous for again?

I'm actually surprised, I haven't heard a -word- on them.

I'm just waiting for a big "We told you so" or something.
But not a thing.

We have them on the run! Now let's all gather in the US, find ourselves some arms and then BEGIN THE REVOLUTION!

<<

>>

....yay! Internet won!

Kross:

Kevlar Eater:
I'm a bit disappointed that Google hasn't completely shut down its service, worldwide, in protest to SOPA and PIPA. That would have sent an even clearer message to the masses on top of everything else.

Today was more of a WARNING SHOT from the Internet.

Why did I picture an Iowa class battleship firing a broadside at capitol hill when I read that? Awesome imagery is awesome...(I love my imagination)

Glorious...

Kevlar Eater:

I agree. I was thinking that Google should have shut down completely (but still allowed access to Gmail) and Youtube should have been shut down as well, since it is owned by Google. Nice to see some results though.

Saltyk:

Kevlar Eater:

I agree. I was thinking that Google should have shut down completely (but still allowed access to Gmail) and Youtube should have been shut down as well, since it is owned by Google. Nice to see some results though.

While it would have been great if they did it would have likely crippled the world. I don't think people can go day to day solving their problems without google-ing it...

Actually, as for the next battle, i'll let these guys explain.

http://penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/stand-together-the-gaming-community-vs-sopa-and-pipa

(sorry, i couldn't figure out how to embed the video here.)

It so shall not pass. Gandalf has our backs. Not to mention the ARMY of cats and ponies.

You don't mess with cats and ponies. They'll fuck your shit up.

So... we win?

I feel like this is just a minor setback for judgement day though.

They will either introduce it in smaller bills or use bigger bribes next time.

Didn't think it would have such an impact that quickly.
Imagine if sites like google, youtube and facebook had done this but we'll keep those guns for later when we'll need them.

Threaten to stop voting, hit them wear it hurts.

Next time someone tries to pass this kind of crap, the major web sites should IP address block the entire country which is trying to implement censorship, and refuse to revoke the block unless they pass legislation banning ALL forms of censorship so nobody tries it again.

I found this image, and thought it to be appropriate. Enjoy.

EvilChameleon:
Oh man, if the MPAA was furious earlier about the blackouts, imagine how furious they are now.

MPAA Representative: Dammit. How else will we get people to pay top dollar for some of our crap that we know won't sell if people actually learned from the Internet that this stuff actually sucks!

How long until it comes back?

thats what i was thinking. even when im not religious.

but i am also afraid thats not the last thing we will hear from SOPA

Zachary Amaranth:
How long until it comes back?

That's what I'm worried about... I'm very heartened to see the results from today, but I won't rest easy until, at the very least, my senators renounce it (I'm from CA, and they both sponsored PIPA), preferably while promising to never try to pass another one. I'm not holding out too much hope for that latter part, though.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here