Buy Mass Effect Toys, Get Free DLC

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Buy Mass Effect Toys, Get Free DLC

Randomized DLC will come packaged with BioWare's new line of Mass Effect action figures.

Just when you thought DLC couldn't get any more elaborate, EA will release several Mass Effect action figures in March that will include DLC for BioWare's upcoming sequel Mass Effect 3. Available for preorder at the BioWare Store and BigBadToyStore.com, each action figure contains a different set of in-game content available only for the PC and Xbox 360 North American release of the game.

Before everyone gets too excited, though, the BioWare Store explains that the DLC content is "slightly randomized during the registration" of any particular action figure and might only introduce things like weapon mods, upgrades, and new characters for use in multi-player. Depending on the specifics, it might not be worth shelling out the $20 for your very own model of a scientist Salarian (who has studied species Turian, Asari and Batarian) if all he comes with is a new costume for his in-game version.

The action figures are estimated to release in April or May of this year, and interested parties can order each model individually for $20 USD or in packs of four for approximately $75 USD. Most of the ME 2 cast is included in the pack, although fans of the game will notice they forgot to include characters like Jacob, Samara, or Jack which is pretty odd considering how major a role they all played.

Source: NeoGaf via Game Informer

I'M ALREADY THROWING MY GODDAMN WALLET AT YOU EA.

WHY MUST YOU CONTINUE THIS GROSS EXTORTION.

I NEED TO EAT YOU ABSOLUTE TROLL.

(quiet sobbing)

I'm disgusted with the fact that I know I'm going to buy these.

Imagine if we could order our own custom Shepard based on our save files...

Raiyan 1.0:

I think you have just stumbled upon the gold mine of gold mines.

Frostbite3789:

Raiyan 1.0:

Haha! Funnily enough, it can apply to so many things. Imagine a deal where WoW players get their own custom figurines based on their player character, and they'll even throw in a discount if the whole guild orders! Blizzard will need new moneybags.

Though the idea's probably retarded considering you'll need widely varying molds for each order. ^_^

Edit: Huh. Apparently Blizzard already did that...

A Curious Fellow:

Your avatar is so fitting to your statement.

Let me know when they have a Liara figure, and then I'll buy one.

Bah, who cares who else is there or not, nobody cares about anyone but Garrus. >.>

Raiyan 1.0:

that I'd actually buy, DLC or no.

Raiyan 1.0:

Similar to what Blizzard did with WoW??

Hmmm, that I would probably go for...

I think this will apply more for action figure enthusiasts rather than the people who play the game. The idea of spending $20 for this and getting a weapon mod doesn't appeal to any gamer (unless it makes guys turn inside out or only vaporizes the female characters clthing, you people are sick by the way), I would imagine... not so, if you like to gamble I guess this could work out for you.

Steampunk Viking:

Raiyan 1.0:

Blizzard did that? O_o

Dammit, now I can't sell them that idea!

sounds like something similar to the whole Skylander's thing
I'd so buy a Liara and Miranda, hell, even Tali, just to collect them rather than the DLC

and then place them next to my Big Sister and Rarity

Raiyan 1.0:

That would probably be rather expensive to make all the molds for the different Shepard builds, but I have a feeling that people would still throw money at it to a point.

teh_Canape:
sounds like something similar to the whole Skylander's thing
I'd so buy a Liara and Miranda, hell, even Tali, just to collect them rather than the DLC

and then place them next to my Big Sister and Rarity

Sorry for the double post, but I believe they already did a Tali figure in a previous set and once you get all of that I demand picks of this display, hopefully set up in some hilarious manner.

Raiyan 1.0:

Haha! Funnily enough, it can apply to so many things. Imagine a deal where WoW players get their own custom figurines based on their player character, and they'll even throw in a discount if the whole guild orders! Blizzard will need new moneybags.

Though the idea's probably retarded considering you'll need widely varying molds for each order. ^_^

You might be able to do it with a 3D printer and some cheap chinese labour to do the painting (patent pending before EA figures this out)

Considering that it is only for the 360 and PC, I can't help but get the feeling that this is more of a case of Microsoft getting involved with this instead of EA. If this was EA it would be across all Platforms, yet it is only 360 (Microsoft console) and PC (most gamers use some form of a Microsoft OS). It also wouldn't be the first time that Microsoft did what they could to get exclusives from games that are multiplat (timed DLC, exclusive DLC, etc). That said, it is a near certain that I will get a Tali and Legion figure. Out of curiosity, does anyone know how tall the figures will be?

captcha= nuns, outinni....Is that some kind of martini drink?

This is why I hold the opinion that every single person that works in marketing is a souless and evil person.

Raiyan 1.0:

Steampunk Viking:

Raiyan 1.0:

Blizzard did that? O_o

Dammit, now I can't sell them that idea!

Well, actually, not exactly, a company called Figureprints did it for WoW players... apparently they do XBox Live Avatars too now, that's new to me! (May not be such a radical idea to do it for Mass Effect then)

Anyways, here are the details: http://www.figureprints.com/

These figures have been coming for years and (possibly random) dlc is the best thing they could add?

SomebodyNowhere:
These figures have been coming for years and (possibly random) dlc is the best thing they could add?

The first wave handled by DC Direct was a nightmare. This is a new company and the first time they're actually releasing anything. The second wave has also never been released.

I'll be picking up some of them. Shepard looks good when you put the helmet on him, which is how I play in game anyway. Garrus and Legion are getting bought too. The DLC is just a bonus for me as I was going to get them regardless of it being there or not.

I'm glad to see the community here is taking to this news in a more rational way than I've seen on other sites.

North american copies only? Why bioware? Whyyyyy? Is my money not good enough? I'm buying everything mass effect related that there is already so I've got to have these anywaaaaaaaaaaaay. Dammit.

I actually find this liberating. There's no way I'm going to buy these, so there's no way I'm going to get 100% completion in Mass Effect 3. That means I can stop worrying that I'll miss out on the green sweater for Shepard's robot dog if I don't preorder from the Gamestop in Saginaw on a prime number day in February. I'm going to buy this game whenever, wherever I feel like it, and it might not be until a price drop. As much as I was looking forward to this, I'm still pissed that I can't buy it on Steam and I have to install EA's spyware.

Aww Bioware, remember when all you cared about was making awesome AD&D 2nd edition games? What happened to you?

Tali and Miranda are on my buy list, even if the DLC can't be used on my PS3 version of the game.

hurricanejbb:

Well, there is the bishoujo statue of Liara.

Otaku World Order:
Tali and Miranda are on my buy list, even if the DLC can't be used on my PS3 version of the game.

hurricanejbb:

Well, there is the bishoujo statue of Liara.

No. No no no, that version does not exist to me. I have no problem with an anime-styled figure from a game, movie or series that draws inspiration from manga or anime, but I'd prefer a Liara figure to better resemble the style of the game. The bishoujo version just... it looks like a cosplaying teenage girl trying to be sexy at a con.

Frostbite3789:

Raiyan 1.0:

If I can get a custom noble six from Reach and one of these, I'd be so happy.

Sorry EA no Tali, no money.
This better not include content like missions and stuff, unless there's a way to get them regularly.

Mikeyfell:
This better not include content like missions and stuff, unless there's a way to get them regularly.

You mean like this Tali?

Anyway, Thane would go quite well with my Adam Jensen and Ezio figures... rather tempting.

Depending on the specifics, it might not be worth shelling out the $20 for your very own model of a scientist Salarian (who has studied species Turian, Asari and Batarian) if all he comes with is a new costume for his in-game version.

Hehehe, Mordin singing was one of the best moments of ME2. I'm not much of an action figure person, something I lost after the age of... discovering video games. I mean, why play with a plastic toy using your imagination when you can see some of your [18A] fantasies come to life!

The randomization of DLC is kind of weird though. It make sense to me to have: get a weapon/armor mod with Mordin, a weapon if you buy Garrus or Legion, etc.
Also what happens if you buy a second toy/figurine and it has the code to the same DLC you got before? Find someone to trade? Will EA trade it for you?

Jesus... has there been a Bioware/EA game released in the past half-decade that didn't have a shit-ton of Day 1 DLC? Look EA, I know you're desperate to curbstomp second-hand sales, but with this much DLC planned ahead of release, there comes a point where it feels less like bonuses for people who buy your game, and more like you're deliberately taking out stuff to sell back to people later.

I hated it when Ubisoft did that with Assassin's Creed II. Don't let that become the fucking industry norm...

Zachary Amaranth:
Bah, who cares who else is there or not, nobody cares about anyone but Garrus. >.>

Raiyan 1.0:

that I'd actually buy, DLC or no.

Money has been placed in the "To buy Garus action figure" jar for April or May. I don't really care about the DLC just want the toy.
Though I may have to get Tali and Grunt (fight like a Krogan, hehe).

SirCannonFodder:

Mikeyfell:

You mean like this Tali?

Anyway, Thane would go quite well with my Adam Jensen and Ezio figures... rather tempting.

Huh, EA might just get my money after all.

Why is Escapist news team so goddamn excited about anything that is even remotely related to Bioware?

A Curious Fellow:

(quiet sobbing)

You know, I read that all in Cyborg voice. I hope you are happy cause I was lol.

OT: I will get Legion if I can play as a Geth.

See now here's the problem....I'm getting the collector's edition....so I shell out 20 bucks for one of these figures, am I just going to get the same in-game content that I've already got? Or is this completely new?

And the whole "slightly random" thing worries me...because it sounds to me like there also saying "you'll have to buy 10 Mirandas to get all of the in-game content that she can offer and much like a happy meal you don't know what content you'll get so you might get doubles! Fun!" And don't tell me that's ridiculous and could never happen because if McD's can do it for major profit, you know EA is willing to give it a go. They gave up caring if they screw over their customers a LONG time ago.

OniaPL:
Why is Escapist news team so goddamn excited about anything that is even remotely related to Bioware?

For starters: they just released an MMO that apparently many people were looking forward to. Personally I think they would have been better off making Knights of the Old Republic 3, but that's just me.

Beyond that, Mass Effect 3 is likely one of, if not THE most highly anticipated game of 2012. If you don't like it and aren't looking forward to it, that's fine. But many people would kick their mother in the throat if it meant ME 3 would be released even a week earlier.

Point is: at the current moment, BioWare is a highly relevant topic to many gamers.

Outcast107:

A Curious Fellow:

(quiet sobbing)

You know, I read that all in Cyborg voice. I hope you are happy cause I was lol.

OT: I will get Legion if I can play as a Geth.

YEAH! CHECK OUT MY BABY'S PROTON CANNON! ... I mean... Oh no...?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here