Blizzard Exorcises Companion Pets From Diablo III

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Blizzard Exorcises Companion Pets From Diablo III

It turns out that even Blizzard thought companion pets were too cute for the world of Diablo.

Blizzard's been taking a lot of flack for a while because many fans believe that it's trying to make Diablo III too adorable for its own good. Aside from the inclusion of rainbows, something that's proved controversial was the game's use of companion pets. However, Blizzard has now revealed that this feature is getting exorcised from the game because it was too darned cute.

On the Battle.net forums, one of Blizzard's community managers explained that the developer was no longer planning to include either the Scrolls of Reforging or companion pets:

In both cases these are features we felt were underdeveloped and just not quite good enough for the game in their current state. The companion pets felt like they were mandatory to maximize play efficiency and some of the pets were too cutesy for the gritty, dark world of Sanctuary. Neither of those are issues we felt like we could solve without a lot of additional work, and we're trying to close in on a solid release date for the game, not move further away. When weighing these systems against releasing the game, we decided to cut these scrolls and stay on track for the game's release.

We think we can make companion pets into a much cooler system (both mechanically and visually), and evolve the reforging scrolls into a more meaningful system at some point in the future. For the time being, they will not be in the initial release of the game.

Of course, Blizzard's got a record for getting rid of stuff that just won't cut it, like all those Heaven levels we learned about last year. It certainly sounds like nixing the companion pets was the right thing to do.

Source: Battle.net via Massively

PETA to make a response in 5...4...3...

They were only doing it to copy off of Torchlight anyway.

Flame away. :p

Uh, they were not at all the same thing as the Torchlight pets. Oh well, feel free to say whatever.

The pets were pretty useful though, as they picked up gold.I'moping they make a return, but accompanied by a more in-depth mechanic (just like they say it's probably going to happen).

Damn man, is that it? I thought I had opened up a big debate here. I mean, they weren't exactly the same thing, but the end game was the same, they were supposed to get you gold. Only the ones in torchlight would take junk items you didn't want back to town and sell them. The one's in Torchlight were very useful.

The_root_of_all_evil:

This is why I like you. Ten points to Gryffindor.

The_root_of_all_evil:

Put them back in or the Tanooki gets it! Err, we mean take take them out it's evil! No wait, you did!

Argh! I need KFC!

Edit: On topic, Diablo 3 is starting to feel like design in the open is going to bite them - I know it has done so before with certain abilities and skills in WoW betas that ended up being cut.

You start raising expectations and then people get their hopes dashed (or claim it's class favouritism).

I love how the "gritty, dark" world of Sanctuary is being portrayed in a gritless and fairly well lit way. Funny that.

And hey, about the pets, maybe there are some depths Blizzard will not sink to.

The_root_of_all_evil:

Yeah! How dare they discriminate against those pets by not sending them into mortal Kcombat against Hellspawn abominations!

*chuckles*

What's sad, is that actually sounds about as rational as a typical statement from PETA.

Apparently the person who suggested copying this idea from Torchlight to make those endless dungeon crawls where you id and junk rare item after rare item, or go back and forth to the shops so hard the grass dies in the parts between easier was taken out back and shot.

So happy Torchlight 2 is coming out. I didn't like WoW, why would I like a carbon copy dressed in Diablo skin?

vansau:
Blizzard's been taking a lot of flack

Flak, not flack.

Inb4 cash shop pets with combat bonuses.

I'd be worried that they seem to be cutting too much out, but if they intend to put them in later.

The_root_of_all_evil:

Voicing their approval.
Remember, PETA doesn't believe in pets.

You know, I already wasn't going to get Diablo 3 because of the online requirement, but even setting that aside, the screenshots have convinced me not to. It just doesn't look like it'll have the atmosphere I'm looking for: that dark, gritty, horrific atmosphere from the first game. I loved it, and I despised D2 for killing it and turning everything into silly cartoon world.

Who cares anymore? At this point Diablo 3 can suck a fat nut. They should be actually working on getting the game out sometime this decade instead of running their mouths about what they are changing yet again.
Just bring on Torchlight 2 and I will be a happy man.

Monkeyman O'Brien:
Who cares anymore? At this point Diablo 3 can suck a fat nut. They should be actually working on getting the game out sometime this decade instead of running their mouths about what they are changing yet again.
Just bring on Torchlight 2 and I will be a happy man.

If you don't even like diablo why the heck are you reading this? I read this because I'm anticipating it,and yes,I do care about what they do with it.Plus I think we all prefer when a company keeps in contact with the player base.

Bah,not even sure why I bother.

On the topic! Actually glad they removed those,it did seem kinda iffy.Tho I liked that "gold picking" feature they had,the whole concept just didn't fit in.

Baresark:

Obvious troll is obvious? : D

Yup, I'm all for it, they've got lots of ideas, but can't fit them all in and release the game this decade, so they're putting some stuff on the back burner, and this IS Blizzard we're talking about.

There's going to be expansions, hell, they need to sell to all the people they gave free copies to thru the WOW promotion :D

I suggest we'll see the pets in Diablo III : Expansion of Inevitability.

so lets see will it be companion pets day 1 dlc?

Good, I couldn't have ever trusted an animal with my epics anyways. Maybe human slaves? Or is it too dark and gritty?

Baresark:

Though, honestly, it feels like, to me at least, Diablo's aesthetics have shifted from its previous iterations to something more like Torchlight.

Just look at these screens, I prefer the older cancelled style much more.

Raiyan 1.0:

Baresark:

Though, honestly, it feels like, to me at least, Diablo's aesthetics have shifted from its previous iterations to something more like Torchlight.

Let me preface this by saying that I'm not disagreeing with you.

This isn't something to have an opinion about. Diablo 3's visuals are objectively and considerably more cartoony, exaggerated and washed out than the previous games.

Now, whether you like the change or not is your business.

Hammeroj:

Of course. Note that I didn't berate them for the change. I simply don't like it personally.

Jeez Blizzard, just turn the pets into a ghostly wisp of light or something, I liked having my own personal gold collector.

Monkeyman O'Brien:
They should be actually working on getting the game out sometime

That's what they're doing. Instead of perfecting features they don't quite like, they're cutting them for future patches.

Raiyan 1.0:

Hammeroj:

Of course. Note that I didn't berate them for the change. I simply don't like it personally.

The emphasis of my post was that it isn't down to opinion whether the change was there or not, not that it's up to you whether you like that.

It's sort of a calling out to the stupid idea Blizzard fanboys kept bashing everyone over the head with. "Looks the same to me, don't know what you're talking about", "Well, you think it looks different, I don't", etc. Wasn't a confrontation towards you on any level. Sorry that didn't come through well enough.

Make sense I guess although I would think having a pet would of been very usefeul for the Witch Doctor seeing how some of their spells make use of undead frogs and dogs.

And thus the shoulder pads still stand.

...On a slightly related note, I can't find any news about when someone at Blizzard had a mental breakdown while drunk and wanted to delete everything.

Huh, I didn't know about the companion pets in the first place. Guess I haven't been keeping up with the D3 news.

This article reminds me off all the little kids who sobbed about the Tau not being grimdark enough for them in 40k.

Because in this day in age if something is not Black and Grey enough people howl in utter and complete rage.

Ugh this is why I hate so many modern games with their emphasis on GRIMDARK, Black vs Grey, and utterly hopeless worlds.

I read the article from multiplayerblog.mtv and their arguments defending the art style don't feel very convincing for the most part.

I haven't really been paying much attention to D3, so I wasn't even aware that they were planning on putting pets in to begin with.

That kind of sucks. The thought of a pet monkey running around collecting gold for me is pretty appealing.

tmande2nd:
This article reminds me off all the little kids who sobbed about the Tau not being grimdark enough for them in 40k.

Because in this day in age if something is not Black and Grey enough people howl in utter and complete rage.

Ugh this is why I hate so many modern games with their emphasis on GRIMDARK, Black vs Grey, and utterly hopeless worlds.

Shove your little kids rhetoric where the sun don't shine. There are plenty of Marios and Zeldas for you to go around. This is a case of a company changing the tone of a franchise completely, then pretending it's still the same. Pardon us children for not being fine with that.

It doesn't matter what they put into or take away from that game; I'm still not going to buy it. Twelve years equals too long. It's a strain of Duke Nukem syndrome, there's no way it's going to live up the hype.

Seems like a weird reason, axing a whole feature because the community yammers on about if being "too cute".

Hammeroj:
Shove your little kids rhetoric where the sun don't shine. There are plenty of Marios and Zeldas for you to go around. This is a case of a company changing the tone of a franchise completely, then pretending it's still the same. Pardon us children for not being fine with that.

Have you seen the side by side comparisons in the link?
Almost everything the community wants reads terribly which is especially unforgiveable in a 3d game since poly models tend to blend in with the environment especially well for some reason.
Also they just love to slap some retarded noise texture all over the screenies to "improve" them for some reason.
Gives a still image more texture and makes it look more interesting but as soon as it starts moving?

That would just play awful if you look at that for hours straight.

The lead designer knows what he's talking about.
Also how exactly is this "mario and zelda" by any stretch of the imagination?
This don't even look like torchlight (which was had some pretty obnoxious wow vibes all over it).

Hammeroj:

tmande2nd:

Ah yes fan boy over reaction at its finest.

Raiyan 1.0:

Baresark:

Good thing the Torchlight devs did in no way, as former Blizzard employees, copy the aesthetic of any game they've ever worked on. Torchlight has, in no way, the aesthetic of WoW and Warcraft 3...

OT
This is good news, they actually DO want to release this game sometime in my lifetime...

I'm sure they aren't done with pets for good, they will make an appearance in one of the expansions.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here