Zynga Accused of Plagiarism Over Zynga Bingo

Zynga Accused of Plagiarism Over Zynga Bingo

This fresh accusation is the second to be levelled at Zynga by an indie studio in the past seven days.

The past few months have been rough for social games giant Zynga. Its weeks of pummelled share prices and reports of huge losses were topped off last week by accusations from indie developer NimbleBit that Zynga's Dream Heights is basically a point-for-point copypasta of the indie's Tiny Towers. Now, barely a week after that incident, another indie company by the name of Buffalo Studios has accused Zynga of doing exactly the same thing with its Bingo Blitz.

Using a NimbleBit-inspired infographic for illustration, Buffalo Studios contends that Zynga's brand-new Zynga Bingo, which just opened for beta testing, bears far more than a passing resemblance to the studio's popular Bingo Blitz.

"We are moved that your new game was so inspired by our innovative product, Bingo Blitz," reads the infographic. "You've obviously played our game Bingo Blitz A LOT, along with over 1 million other Daily Active Users."

"P.S. As you can see, NimbleBit inspires us too!" concludes the graphic.

While the actual bingo-page screenshots of the two games aren't all too similar, the collection, unlockables and prizes screens do look very much like relatives of one another. While the direction this specific case will take remains to be seen, one thing is certain: For Zynga, being accused of copying two games within the space of one week is not the kind of exposure that you can put in the "all publicity is good publicity" PR pile (to say nothing of the "Honest Image" unlockable farmhouse and "Our Work is Original" customizable aquarium, of course).

Source: GamesIndustry

I guess Zynga decided that if random people could make half-assed rip-offs of stuff on iOS and Android, they could do it too.

Why is this even news? Every game Zynga makes is a copy-paste job of another game. I'm very glad they are finally taking a hit in the bottom line.

(I know why it is news, I just wanted to illustrate a point.)

Many of Zynga's games are like this so I have absolutely no sympathy for the company. that is reversed for any normal people that work there if that heap collapses.

They missed a great opertunity to call it Zyngo.

Guys it's Zynga... this is what they do, I would suggest you just make it a monthly or yearly article on how many people they ripped off.

Must be a day that ends in y.

Would I mind Zynga being sued out of existence? Not in the slightest.

P.S. Thanks

Hold on here ... who exactly owns the rights to Bingo? Its been around since before patents.

This makes me excited for when Zynga announces their new 2D physics puzzler game Mad Monkeys, in which you bodily shoot monkeys from a catapult to wreck the buildings set up by the sinister green frogs and return the stolen bananas.

I'll never understand why so many people play these games, when there are such better alternatives.

Of course, that is just my opinion but...

/sigh

Antari:
Hold on here ... who exactly owns the rights to Bingo? Its been around since before patents.

This. There's a limit to how much someone could possibly clone something like bingo. Its kind of like saying someone's cloned another company's version of Hide and Seek.

I've not seen screenshot comparisons however so it could be very evidently a direct rip but I'm reminded of the wind tunnel concept: if you put a car in a wind tunnel, sooner or later everyone's best designs will start to resemble each other because everyone is striving to create the same thing. The same could be said for any game based on something like bingo - there's going to be a few logical game concepts that devs will come to, it doesn't strictly mean they ripped it from another game.

Zachary Amaranth:

Or Bynga.

Cyrus Hanley:

Zachary Amaranth:

Or Bynga.

Equally awesome missed opportunity.

Antari:

I'm not sure who, if anyone, owns the rights to the game itself, but I believe things like the unlockables/prizes and the layout of the specific game can be copyrighted. If I'm right (I'm not a lawyer of any kind, so someone with legal knowhow please weigh in on this) then Zynga is in a bad place right now with this and the Tiny Towers thing.

C2Ultima:
This makes me excited for when Zynga announces their new 2D physics puzzler game Mad Monkeys, in which you bodily shoot monkeys from a catapult to wreck the buildings set up by the sinister green frogs and return the stolen bananas.

I commend you for accusing them of ripping off both Angry birds and Donkey Kong.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here