Teen Gets Into MIT, Launches Acceptance Letter Into Space

Pages PREV 1 2

Welp, may as well start digging myself a grave, 'cause there's nothing I'll ever do to match this lady's massive middle finger to eternity. I mean, launching an acceptance tube into space. How could anyone hope to rival the sheer force of will to do something like this just for the sake of doing it?

What a strange combination... she looks like she's fifteen but she's seventeen, she sounds like she's in her late twenties, and she's a hell of a lot smarter than I am.

Whatever the case, this was pretty damn impressive. I can't remember doing anything nearly this inventive when I was seventeen.

Yeah, I'm a prospective theatre major, so the idea that anyone my age is smart enough to do this kind of blows my mind. Good show, madam!

That was... pretty interesting, though I don't see what they're trying to accomplish. Scientists are supposed to be the most logical people generally, right? What is the point of sending some tube into space? Or doing anything with the tube at all? Just why?

kiri2tsubasa:
Sorry, but that isn't near space (not by a long shot). Since this is using a balloon, this is only going to travel to the ceiling of the Statosphere. That is about 1/10th the way. You still have to go through the Mesosphere (~120km, still below the minimum altitude for orbital craft), then the Thermosphere (ceiling ~600km), then you hit the exosphere, the last remenents of our atmosphere. Though it is arguable that between the lower and upper boundary that "Space" begins (between 500km-190,000km). Low orbit is considered 2,000km.

I'm guessing you don't have any friends. LOL.

That is really impressive. Good on her! The fact that she actually built the circuit board with the camera, transmitter, and a GPS tracker is mighty cool, too. The article kind of brushes over the fact that she built the whole thing herself and, when I say 'brushes over', I mean 'doesn't mention at all'.

At roughly 6:24, something flies across the shot... can anyone make out what it is? (Please, no "a bird, a plane..." quotes ;-) ).

But.... How is this so impressive? It's just a balloon.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here