Amazon Ships Some Vitas Early

Amazon Ships Some Vitas Early

Whoops! Some lucky customers in the Great White North have received (very early) deliveries of their PlayStation Vitas.

The PlayStation Vita isn't due out here in North America for a little while. The "First Edition" bundles are supposed to arrive on February 15th, while the wider launch won't take place until February 22nd. However, it seems that some some Canadian gamers have received their units much earlier than expected.

The Red Flag Deals forums have lit up with users reporting that they received shipping notices for their Vita pre-orders from Amazon.ca. That's not all: Some folks are stating that the systems have already arrived and are starting to post photos of the un-boxed Vitas.

If you're looking to pick up an early Vita, though, don't bother heading over to Amazon.ca. The site's become aware of the error and won't be getting the portable systems to shoppers until the official shipping date.

Source: Red Flag Deals via Joystiq

But, I got mine from EB games. Still need to wait till the 15 though. Waiting, Waiting, Waiting...

EB games has been offering early release to people who pre ordered it. Not sure if anyone else is doing a similar promotion.

OH GOD OH GOD WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE! HOW COULD THIS HAPPEN? THIS IS A TRAVESTY! WE CAN NEVER USE AMAZON AGAIN!
-Leaders of Sony

Or at least that's how I imagine their response. Personally, I'm more "meh" about the whole thing.

Zen Toombs:
OH GOD OH GOD WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE! HOW COULD THIS HAPPEN? THIS IS A TRAVESTY! WE CAN NEVER USE AMAZON AGAIN!
-Leaders of Sony

Or at least that's how I imagine their response. Personally, I'm more "meh" about the whole thing.

Or, if you're a proud member of the tin-foil hat brigade, this was part of a secret deal between Sony and Amazon.ca to encourage people to pre-order more. "See? You could have a Vita now. I bet you order our next product as soon as it's announced. Bwa-ha-ha."

Zen Toombs:
-Leaders of Sony

in other news, Sony sues Amazon for error, citing "this allows pirates to see our super secret technology!", in response, all versions of games for the Vita will now have a DRM that requires you to write to Sony every day using Comic Sans about how the games solemnly swear to pay an extra $65 for games they already bought.

While this doesn't affect me it does make me crave this little piece of hardware even more. :( It's like a ps3.... but portable! :O And I'm a tech whore, that too.

Waaghpowa:
EB games has been offering early release to people who pre ordered it. Not sure if anyone else is doing a similar promotion.

did you have a source for that anywhere? i have one pre-ordered through EB but haven't seen anything of the sort yet, so i'm curious now.

SH4DOWSL4Y3R:

Waaghpowa:

did you have a source for that anywhere? i have one pre-ordered through EB but haven't seen anything of the sort yet, so i'm curious now.

It was in store and in Canada.

Waaghpowa:

SH4DOWSL4Y3R:

Waaghpowa:

It was in store and in Canada.

Ahh, cool. i'm in australia, so i guess they aren't giving us that deal. not very surprising though, we always get pretty shit deals compared to overseas from what i've seen in the past.

i might go in and ask anyway next time i'm there, which should be a few days from now. who knows? i might walk out with a vita.

Zen Toombs:
-Leaders of Sony

That is an incredibly funny thought on the matter. Now, let's see if America resurrects this zombie or shoots it in the head.

Well, let's see...

The First Edition bundle comes out the 15th here in the US, and assuming you pre-ordered it at Gamestop, I think.
However, Gamestop is already selling the games. Not all stores have the games already, but those who do are officially allowed to sell them. Now, what use would you have for them if the Vita hasn't been officially released is beyond me. maybe if you have an import?

Yeah, I can see why Amazon screwed up, I guess.

Wow, and they didn't even have to subject themselves to the horror of Taco Bell to get their vitas early. I got to play a demo at best buy earlier and I'm excited. Now I just need money.

Wait, people pre-ordered Vitas? But...huh. Now I'm stumped. Anyways.

Darn you Canadians! First, you garner our criticism, for your silly accents. Then, you turn our criticisms into free health care. Then, adding an uncomfortable silence to our stilled tongues, you get even better, by having smash hit underground hilarious sketch comedy groups that make me laugh for days on end while bussing. Then, you troll us with your terrible singers. Now, you get products before sale date? Argh! What next, the second coming of Christ, a Canada exclusive event? Where, instead of fish and bread, he gives everyone free nachos and beer?

Will...will you invite us below you if we promise to stop making fun of how you're afraid of the dark? ...Please?

>Not waiting until decent games come out
It'll probably drop its price by a third by the time Capcom releases a Monster Hunter game for it, which will be when I buy it.

Not buying one till Gravity Rush is released. Damnit I was promised that it was a launch title.

They're only going to sell like 500 of these units total anyway. What does it really matter if a few come out early?

I have a PSP, and it was okay, but now I cannot even transfer over my games. Pointless. I am not trying to be inflammatory, just pointing out what I consider to be obvious.

carpathic:
They're only going to sell like 500 of these units total anyway. What does it really matter if a few come out early?

I have a PSP, and it was okay, but now I cannot even transfer over my games. Pointless. I am not trying to be inflammatory, just pointing out what I consider to be obvious.

Wow, aren't you bitter.

You can transfer over your games, On my Vita I have from my US account the following PSP Games:
Fate/Extra
Persona 3
DJ Max Portable 3
Monster Hinter Unite
ZHP
Harvest Moon: HLV
Blazblue Portable
Megaman X
Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker
Rock Band Unplugged
Valkyria Chronicles II
Fate/Unlimited Codes

Oh, wait, my bad, did you mean that archaic format called UMD that you can't transfer over? Yeah, that was never promissed from the start. If you were betting on that, well, you shouldn't have bet on that.

Kei Kaemon:
Oh, wait, my bad, did you mean that archaic format called UMD that you can't transfer over? Yeah, that was never promissed from the start. If you were betting on that, well, you shouldn't have bet on that.

Smugness aside, even you've got to admit that was a pretty stupid move on Sony's part. Instead of launching a new handheld with a robust library of games already released, they're effectively punishing anyone who invested in the previous system's retail library.

It was a pretty big shitstorm when this happened with a certain Harry Potter book, wasn't it?

Kei Kaemon:

carpathic:

Wow, aren't you bitter.

You can transfer over your games, On my Vita I have from my US account the following PSP Games:
Fate/Extra
Persona 3
DJ Max Portable 3
Monster Hinter Unite
ZHP
Blazblue Portable
Megaman X
Rock Band Unplugged
Valkyria Chronicles II
Fate/Unlimited Codes

Better bitter than smug I would say..

In anycase, the whole point here is that they have handicapped their sales from the get go. The launch line up is massively unimpressive, and a simple, easy way to get people to buy the system and get them used to the gamestore itself would be to offer transfer of your umd's (I only own like 4, and haven't turned on my PSP in like two years). I was never betting on it happening, that would actually assume that Sony would put some thought other than outright greed into launching their products.

Hey, enjoy your Vita, I really hope it is a fabulous system for you. I just will not be buying it. I can get games as good as the ones offered for the vita on an iphone or a blackberry - AND pretend to be doing work at work at the same time.

I'll wait for a few years till the games show up on PS3/PS4 in 'high-definition'. I've bought about 4 PSP games the whole time but never bought a console. Hmm...

Kei Kaemon:

carpathic:

Wow, aren't you bitter.

Fate/Extra
Persona 3
DJ Max Portable 3
Monster Hinter Unite
ZHP
Blazblue Portable
Megaman X
Rock Band Unplugged
Valkyria Chronicles II
Fate/Unlimited Codes

Don't you also have to pay 15 dollars per game? Or is that only over in Japan? For a game you already own mind you.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here