Mechwarrior Tactics Prepares to Drop

Mechwarrior Tactics Prepares to Drop

The countdown to Mechwarrior Tactics is on!

And what, you may wonder, is Mechwarrior Tactics? Honestly, I have no idea. Facebook says it's a "brand-new Mechwarrior game set in the Battletech universe" for the PC that's due out sometime in 2012. That's not much to go on, but that's the whole point of countdowns, right?

It's being co-developed by British Columbia-based studios Acronym Games and Roadhouse Interactive, who also worked together on Family Guy Online, perhaps not the most ringing endorsement ever for a giant fighting robot game, but let's not rush to judgment. Infinite Game Publishing, which according to its website has a hand of some sort in Piranha Game's upcoming Mecharrior Online, is also involved in the project, and the whole thing appears to be duly licensed by Microsoft.

It's not what you'd call a huge pile of useful information but if you want to jump in early anyway, you can register now at mwtactics.com. Stay tuned!

Dear Acronym Games,

Please see MechCommander.

Thank you.
-Slycne

I thought Battletech was tied up in legal hell? Sounds like a troll to me.

Who wants to bet it's a facebook game?

Didn't they release MechCommander at some poi-

Slycne:
Dear Acronym Games,

Thank you.
-Slycne

Yeah, add my name to that please.

TsunamiWombat:
I thought Battletech was tied up in legal hell? Sounds like a troll to me.

Who wants to bet it's a facebook game?

Ten dollary doos on "its a facebook game"

poiumty:
Didn't they release MechCommander at some poi-

Slycne:
Dear Acronym Games,

Thank you.
-Slycne

Yeah, add my name to that please.

HERE HERE.

Slycne:
Dear Acronym Games,

Thank you.
-Slycne

More to the point, see MechCommander 2. Keep the game-play, update the graphics, add to the roster, add to the game-play elements, and give us better multiplayer.

I'd be in RTS heaven if that were the case. (hey, a man can dream)

Still, hear hear. Though me thinks it'll probably be some short tie-in for MWO. Let's hope not.

Slycne:
Dear Acronym Games,

Thank you.
-Slycne

I second the opinion but agree it should be MC2 with the salvage system intact, was fun to blow the enemy to pieces with their own mechs after you had salvaged them in the field :).

I don't normally comment on news posts, but I gotta say this is really sweet.

At first I thought this was referring to MechWarrior: Tactical Command (the upcoming iOS game) but no! I am pleasantly surprised and excited to see a new 'Mech game, even if it's just a little something to hold us over for MWO:Mercs.

I just hope that if it's a FB game, it's a good FB game. (Unreal 3 engine runs in a browser, people!)

Valiance:

At first I thought this was referring to MechWarrior: Tactical Command (the upcoming iOS game) but no! I am pleasantly surprised and excited to see a new 'Mech game, even if it's just a little something to hold us over for MWO:Mercs.

I just hope that if it's a FB game, it's a good FB game. (Unreal 3 engine runs in a browser, people!)

"@MWTactics MechWarrior Tactics
@spynavy mwtactics will not be a FB game, no worries!
46 minutes ago"

Pulled from their twitter.

RARbuddha:

Valiance:

46 minutes ago"

Oh sweet. Big happiness there. :) Thanks man, I still don't have a Twitter after all these years, but it seems that so many developers use it to get information out quicker, might need to start following them.

Also, @TsunamiWombat - Battletech is not in legal hell.

http://mwomercs.com/news/2011/10/2-dev-blog-0

^ That explains most of it, but if it's too much to read, they just couldn't find a publisher for most of their development, and decided to take it in a new direction.

Andy Chalk:

And what, you may wonder, is Mechwarrior Tactics? Honestly, I have no idea.

I do wonder as you have been posting articles about another Mechwarrior game for the past few months.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/115070-Mechwarrior-Online-Information-Warfare-Explained

So is it right that there are now two studios that are working on a Mechwarrior games for the PC? If so awesome...

Edit: Cancel that. It's explained in the article. Reading failure.

Valiance:

RARbuddha:

Valiance:

46 minutes ago"

Oh sweet. Big happiness there. :) Thanks man, I still don't have a Twitter after all these years, but it seems that so many developers use it to get information out quicker, might need to start following them.

Also, @TsunamiWombat - Battletech is not in legal hell.

http://mwomercs.com/news/2011/10/2-dev-blog-0

^ That explains most of it, but if it's too much to read, they just couldn't find a publisher for most of their development, and decided to take it in a new direction.

Doesn't battletech make use of mecha from like a dozen different IP's, formed in the lawless days when US companies would take anime's and just lolsteal whatever they wanted and butcher them?

WAIT WAIT I'M THINKING OF ROBOTECH. Sorry.

ph0b0s123:

Andy Chalk:

And what, you may wonder, is Mechwarrior Tactics? Honestly, I have no idea.

I do wonder as you have been posting articles about another Mechwarrior game for the past few months.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/115070-Mechwarrior-Online-Information-Warfare-Explained

So is it right that two studios are now working on a Mechwarrior games for the PC? If so awesome...

I think they're both from the same publisher, so perhaps this will enter a new era of giant robot destruction!

TsunamiWombat:

Doesn't battletech make use of mecha from like a dozen different IP's, formed in the lawless days when US companies would take anime's and just lolsteal whatever they wanted and butcher them?

WAIT WAIT I'M THINKING OF ROBOTECH. Sorry.

You're thinking of the Unseen mechs from the classic board game

Those were some of my favourites, especially the Warhammer in the original Mechwarrior game

Mech Commander sucked. Give us a new Crescent Hawk's Inception!

Slycne:
Dear Acronym Games,

Thank you.
-Slycne

I would love this sooo much!

Mech Commander was one of my favorite games.

Though personally i'd be more excited by the prospect of a Front Mission 6, this might sate my cravings for mech combat somewhat.

Thiiiis gonna be a good year for big bot fans.

Andy Chalk:

not happening without some kind of kickstart wonder. i would love to play another adventure/rpg with the original tabletop combat rules though...

the game will most likely be another browser-based strategy-lite game but based on a precious license for a change

Oh man if it is anything like Mech Commander i'll love it. No way did Mech Commander suck. That game ate quite a bit of time as I swept my mechs from here to, er, yonder.

Andy Chalk:

Naw it sucked much less than Mechwarroir 3 and 4.

Mech Commander was its own thing apples and oranges. Make it tactics hex based turn based with sweet animations with a good AI. If your old school be old school.

Mech Commander was fun but when I think tactics I think of the tabletop game. I would say that Mech Commander was to the tabletop as Mechassault was to the Mechwarrior PC series. If anyone gets that comparison.

Anyway Im thrilled to see anything new. By the way anyone curious about old school Battletech they just released a 25th anniversary Box set its a nice set lots of fluff current rules and a nice tile set.

AAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH​...I WAITED OVER A WEEK FOR INFO ON A GAME I HAVE WAITED OVER 10 YEARS FOR AND ALL I GET IS A SODDING EMAIL... TIME FOR ME TO GET CREATIVE WITH MY SWEARING!!!!!!!!

Did a little digging on the sites of the guys making the game. It's going to be a "turn-based strategy and blends tactical gameplay, deep collectability, and unique online features". So basically MechVille.

Pass.

but what IS MW tactics?

CygnusMal:
Did a little digging on the sites of the guys making the game. It's going to be a "turn-based strategy and blends tactical gameplay, deep collectability, and unique online features". So basically MechVille.

Pass.

so its Super Robot Wars but with MW mech,s instead of Banapresto/Anime mechs. still sounds like fun to me.

henritje:
but what IS MW tactics?

CygnusMal:

Pass.

so its Super Robot Wars but with MW mech,s instead of Banapresto/Anime mechs. still sounds like fun to me.

I just want a damn MechWarrior game though. No social media, no turn-based strategy, heck not even a new MechCommander. Just a mech simulator where I can blast the hell out of Clan scum and obsessively customize every little detail of my load-out, power distribution and armor.

CygnusMal:

henritje:
but what IS MW tactics?

CygnusMal:

Pass.

I just want a damn MechWarrior game though. No social media, no turn-based strategy, heck not even a new MechCommander. Just a mech simulator where I can blast the hell out of Clan scum and obsessively customize every little detail of my load-out, power distribution and armor.

what about Mech Warrior online? it,s going to be released this summer.

I'm cautiously optimistic about MWO, I'm glad to see a "proper" MW game on the horizon, but I'm skeptical of Piranha Games' pedigree. The last two games they worked on were a Bass Pro Shops game and... Duke Nukem Forever.

So yeah, I'm a glad to see MW coming back, but not exactly on the edge of my seat at the moment.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here