School Cell Phone Ban Leads to Gadget Storage Trucks

Pages 1 2 NEXT

School Cell Phone Ban Leads to Gadget Storage Trucks

Rather than spend the day without their mobile phones, students attending New York's cell phone-hating public schools have decided to leave their gadgets in the care of a gadget storage truck.

In a desperate bid to teach their students something, New York's public schools have completely banned cell phones. Now, the traditional way of getting around any rules regarding contraband is to take the offending item and cram it into your pocket, bag or rectum, depending the item's value and your tolerance for humiliation. Unfortunately for prospective phone-mules, a number of schools in the NY area have metal detectors, ostensibly to prevent kids from bringing a Glock to school in lieu of their homework. Metal detectors, it turns out, detect phones as well as guns.

A company called Pure Loyalty Electronic Device Storage is looking to take advantage of the average teen's dependence on tiny, beeping doodads by offering to store their phones for a dollar a day. The company has been deploying brightly-painted storage trucks outside schools that have metal detectors. The truck outside De Witt Clinton High School in the Bronx serves an estimated 500 to 550 students a day and pulls in nearly $100,000 a year. Of course, I imagine there's some risks inherent in filling a small truck with thousands of dollars worth of electronics and parking it outside of a school without a high enough incidence of gun crime to warrant a metal detector.

Kids these days, eh? When I was a boy, not only did I not have a cell phone, I had to walk to school every day. Uphill. Through lava.

Source: NY Times

Grey Carter:

Kids these days, eh? When I was a boy, not only did I not have a cell phone, I had to walk to school every day. Uphill. Through lava.

only lava?

sissy ...

back in my day, it was uphill, though lava as 20 feet of snow, while fighting of polar bears and lava beasts.

kindergarten was a bitch lemme tell you

...Why not just leave it at home? I did that during High School, managed just fine without it.

Calumon: I...

No, no Calumon, seriously, leave it at home! You save money! My god, all that money you can save! A dollar a day? That's like $250 a year (Including weekends and holiday periods)! I could buy myself 4 games with that, 4 brand new games! I could get a new non-smartphone for that and still have money left over to throw a cheese party! What is the point? Seriously? Convinience of having I right as you come out? Sure, battle with the other 500 students trying to get their phones, I'll walk back on home and get mine. What if I have to catch the bus too and there's a mob of students checking out their phones? Seriously, I hate this idea so much, I just want to shake some sense into these students!

Calumon: O.o I don't wanna talk anymore...

I don't even know where my cell phone is right now. Do I really care? Not really, I'll find it when I need it. Probably in a few days or something. I am completely unattached to it.

And here's boring old me hardly ever using my cellphone anyway. Aren't most of the people you would want to talk to at the school with you anyway?

the only handheld tech i have is a psp. i could afford one but frankly i don't care enough to go through with it

There's no way I'd go to a school these without a phone for emergencies. Not just in case I get in a car wreck, but because of the health problems my parents have been having. If something happens to them, why should I not be told just because a bunch of techno-brats won't put their own phones down for a few hours?

I guess what I'm saying is... I can understand the school wants the students to focus, but there may be a few rare cases where they need to be in contact in case something happens at home. Why not confiscate phones from those who abuse having them, and put them on a list to have the phones put in storage before they go to class?

Bah back in my days we never have mobile phones when we were in School. Sure in High school one or two pupils had one and got caught or just hid it well.
Goes to show how some people are that reliant on technology.

I just left mine in my bag. What's the point of using it in class if it's going to get confiscated anyway.

You forgot to mention that you had to walk uphill home too. Through razor blades.

Grey Carter:

You should come visit Scotland sometime! We still do that here! Lava can be a right bitch on the shoes!

OT: Does the storage truck also have the words "FREE CANDY" written on the side?

TimeLord:

OT: Does the storage truck also have the words "FREE CANDY" written on the side?

and signs saying "Oh look puppies!"

That's sort of...sad, really. I mean sheesh, when a teacher caught someone texting in class they just took it away for a week or so and that's that. But friggin' metal detector? What kind of police state nonsense is that?

Cowabungaa:
That's sort of...sad, really. I mean sheesh, when a teacher caught someone texting in class they just took it away for a week or so and that's that. But friggin' metal detector? What kind of police state nonsense is that?

Well their purpose in these kinds of areas is to detect things like weapons and other potentially dangerous items but now I guess they're just including cell phones as well.

Cowabungaa:

In some areas, kids bringing knives (and occasionally guns) to school isn't uncommon. All the school can do is try to monitor, and try to catch the stuff on the way in. That way, normal fights stay normal fights, rather than becoming murder scenes. At the very least, it ensures the public can't come back and say, "You didn't do anything to keep that child from stabbing that other child!"

The cell phone thing is honestly just a side-effect.

Cowabungaa:

As I understand it the metal detector wasn't there for phones. It was already there because the area had a high rate of gun crime, it's just that it happened to pick up phones too so when getting checked for guns they would have to remove their phone.

Grey Carter:

None of that modern day sluggish lava as well, this were proper Pompei stuff. If you still had eyebrows by the time you got to school, they'd send you back home. In your pants and vest.

Now, if I was a mean person, I'd have a chat to lots of my friends and get them to set their alarm for 11:59. On full volume.

So maybe I'm not understanding this correctly. Kids are waking up, getting ready for school, taking their cell phones on the bus to school. Then they get to school, after what, maybe 10-20 minutes at the most? Take their phone to the storage truck pay a dollar, then go into the school for 6-8 hours. Then when school is over they pick up their phones then get on the bus to go home/work/friends house?

Seriously. WTF? Is the 10 minutes having the phone worth the money to make someone else hold it for so long with the potential for theft or invasion of privacy? Please tell me I'm missing something here. Kids these days...

I've never really got the logic in out-right banning mobile phones. When kids are using them during lesson, the problem is that they're not interested, not that they have a phone. Take the phones away and they'll just switch to cutting up rubbers, or flicking people with rulers, or just mentally shutting down.

Also, wow, metal detectors on the way into school. Makes it sound like some kind of freaky, dystopian future over there. Is that common?

The_root_of_all_evil:

Grey Carter:

None of that modern day sluggish lava as well, this were proper Pompei stuff. If you still had eyebrows by the time you got to school, they'd send you back home. In your pants and vest.

Pants? What luxury! Back in my day we didn't have pants yet. You were lucky if you had a burlap sack. Most of us just had a loincloth made of leaves and bark.

Nalgas D. Lemur:

The_root_of_all_evil:

Grey Carter:

Pants? What luxury! Back in my day we didn't have pants yet. You were lucky if you had a burlap sack. Most of us just had a loincloth made of leaves and bark.

Hey at least You all had schools to go to. We had to go out soon after midnight to build the damned shack first, and i tell You, it's not easy to build wooden structures on uphill flowing lava while it's snowing...

Silliness aside. People are stupid. We already knew that. School kids obviously lead in that competition. If they want to waste money on having someone hold Their phone... Hey i can hold Your phone for a 1$ too!

Metal Detectors in Schools.....? Dear fucking Christ.

Land of the free eh?

TimeLord:

These day's kids would be more lured in by a truck with FREE WIFI written on the side :P

But seriously are these kids stupid? They need a phone for social interactions with their friends... Don't they have friends in the school to talk to?
The world makes less and less sense. At what point did they think leaving their phones with a stranger in a van asking for a dollar was far more secure than in their homes?
I'm beginning to think kids only know how to swear and talk with their thumbs :L

Lunncal:
I've never really got the logic in out-right banning mobile phones. When kids are using them during lesson, the problem is that they're not interested, not that they have a phone. Take the phones away and they'll just switch to cutting up rubbers, or flicking people with rulers, or just mentally shutting down.

Also, wow, metal detectors on the way into school. Makes it sound like some kind of freaky, dystopian future over there. Is that common?

Large cities commonly have them. The U.S. with its combination of fairly lax firearm security laws, children with access to them, and media that overreacts and over sensationalizes every thing regarding violence and children.

Proof? There were 23 incidents of firearms discharged on school grounds in 1999. Guess which one everyone has heard of?

The one with the town where the average net worth is $300,000+. Not saying it wasn't a tragedy (I was a mile away when it happened), but everyone overreacted way too much.

But that's why.

koroem:
So maybe I'm not understanding this correctly. Kids are waking up, getting ready for school, taking their cell phones on the bus to school. Then they get to school, after what, maybe 10-20 minutes at the most? Take their phone to the storage truck pay a dollar, then go into the school for 6-8 hours. Then when school is over they pick up their phones then get on the bus to go home/work/friends house?

Seriously. WTF? Is the 10 minutes having the phone worth the money to make someone else hold it for so long with the potential for theft or invasion of privacy? Please tell me I'm missing something here. Kids these days...

Yeah, that's what I was thinking as well. What's the point?
But then again, if there're so many kids bringing guns to school to warrant a metal detector then you probably can't apply common sense in this case.

I find it weird that people are surprised about metal detectors in schools, for a lot of inner city schools thats normal, and not just I the US, over here in the UK/Europe as well. its mainly for knives...i mean in london you can get four years in prison for carrying a knife with deadly intent ( if its not you're first offence and all that) and even that doesn't work...last time i checked gangs were using biros to stab people in the eye....most of them aren't even 20 yet (both the attackers and victims).....

Mydogisblue:

Cowabungaa:

Well their purpose in these kinds of areas is to detect things like weapons and other potentially dangerous items but now I guess they're just including cell phones as well.

Schools don't want kids using phones in school. Metal detector detects metal. Weapons and phones have metal. School takes away things they don't want in their school.

And adding more light on the metal detector thing. It's not 'police state nonsense'. It's an effort to prevent kids from killing one another. And not every school has them! The only ones that do are either in high crime rate areas, or the school is known for having such violent crimes occur. Can you imagine the shitstorm the whole Board of Ed. would go through if they didn't have one in these schools and some kids got injured or killed?

One of the schools I used to live by has metal detectors. They were installed because that school was very crime ridden. They used to advise students to travel in groups to avoid getting jumped and to not use the bathroom because the would get raped. These such crimes have gone down, but burglary is still a problem. The school I went to (which is a few blocks from a detention center and across the river from Manhattan) didn't have metal detectors because crime in the area/students trying to kill one another wasn't a problem. Were phones a problem? Of course. Did they do anything about them? Not really, since their reason was that they'd be spending far more time taking away cell phones than doing their job.

And anyway, if some kid is determined enough to bring whatever it is they want into a school, chances are, they're going to get it in anyway, preventative measures be damned.

koroem:

Many kids attending NYC school have a travel time of much longer than that. Several people I knew had a two hour travel time, and that's if the MTA (which nearly every student that went to my school depended on to get there, and for most NYC schools it's largely the same) was running OK, which more often than not, wasn't. I could usually get to school in 30-40 minutes, but it wasn't rare that it would take more than an hour. Hell, sometimes the MTA wouldn't even bring me halfway to where I needed to go.

There's also the fact that they're using their phones to cheat, entertain themselves, and communicate with friends/family outside of class.

Sarah Frazier:
There's no way I'd go to a school these without a phone for emergencies. Not just in case I get in a car wreck, but because of the health problems my parents have been having. If something happens to them, why should I not be told just because a bunch of techno-brats won't put their own phones down for a few hours?

I guess what I'm saying is... I can understand the school wants the students to focus, but there may be a few rare cases where they need to be in contact in case something happens at home. Why not confiscate phones from those who abuse having them, and put them on a list to have the phones put in storage before they go to class?

No. There is nothing that is going to happen to your parents that is going to going to critically worsen because someone had to call your school office and have them pull you out of class instead of calling you directly. You do not need a phone on your person at all times. You may not like to leave your phone behind, but make no mistake: it is a luxury, not a necessity.

You know, Grey, I think you just found the most disturbing use for Bluetooth ever. Activating your rectally smuggled phone.

DVS BSTrD:
And here's boring old me hardly ever using my cellphone anyway. Aren't most of the people you would want to talk to at the school with you anyway?

Depends on whether or not your sexting that 30 year old dude you met on Myspace, I guess.

Creepiness aside, I imagine texting and browsing the web, tweeting, etc. are bigger problems than actually calling people.

Speaking as a teacher, cell phones have never really been the problem I assumed they would be. Since the beginning of the year I can probably count the number of phones I confiscated on one hand. Even then, I'm supposed to take them down to the office and the student is supposed to sign them out at the end of the day, but I just fire them in my desk drawer until the end of class, give them back to the student and threaten to smack him/her upside the head if they do it again. Hell, I can confiscate a phone without even pausing in my lecture.

Hell, my kids who have smartphones will use them in class, for class work. If I can have them doing research on them without having to book the computer lab and herd them all down to the library it makes my day that much simpler.

Grey Carter:

Just through lava?

Oh walk it off you pussy, when I was a kid we walked to school through a mine field with bear traps clamped to our feet while atack dogs chased us down and devoured the slowest kids in the groups while the teachers placed bets on which of us were the fastest.......And then they beat us if we lost.

Grey Carter:

That's it?! Lava?! Ha! I had to march 30 miles to school, naked, on fire, in the snow, uphill, and when I got there, the teachers would make us go all the way back down, backwards! [/complaining old man]

On topic then, damn that's a really good business strategy. Here's another one, open a private school that is advertised as allowing kids to keep their phones. Or something like that. I think banning phones is too much though, I mean in my school, phones are allowed, in the halls, not in class.

I'm unsure whether to feel sad for humanity or envious at those geniuses.

Wow....I mean I love my cellphone and all. But if you can't be without it for 6 hours a day, then something is seriously wrong. I didn't even get a cellphone until my senior year of high school, so just be thankful

Damn, when I was in school, cell phones were rare, and people still got in trouble for using them on the rare occasion someone did. This does prove one very important point to society though. Punishment is not a deterrent for breaking the rules. Clearly they tried punishing kids and it didn't work at all, so they banned them. Now, if only this lesson could be established for law making bodies we can get society back on track.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here