Lionhead Officially Unveils Fable: Heroes

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Aaand with this my interest in the Fable series dies completely.

I'm not really a multiplayer kind of person anyway. I'm more worried about how The Journey will turn out, but if it's anything like Fable III, I won't be buying anyway. Shame. I loved Fable II.

My EYES
Why did they bother with this, this is an insult to fable 2's memory

Well, that was a bit of an anticlimax. A countdown for this, really? Seems our old friend the countdown has become somewhat devalued now...

I'm sure they're just doing this to pass the time while making the next Black & White game anyway. I'd like to think Lionhead were sticking to the old plan they had for the B & W franchise that I read about many years ago. Namely that there was going to be a series of Black & White games going all through human history, right up until the present day. If that meant we could have our creature wade into a column of tanks, I'd be all for that.

fluxy100:
You guys are deluding yourselves if you think they'll make another Black and White.

Though definitely not as deluded as thinking another turn-based XCOM game would ever get made. What are the chances?

Someone tell lionhead that they're not sonic team, they don't have fable in their name so they don't have to put fable's name on every none fable game that they make when they feel like making a game that's different.

MarsProbe:

fluxy100:
You guys are deluding yourselves if you think they'll make another Black and White.

Though definitely not as deluded as thinking another turn-based XCOM game would ever get made. What are the chances?

Granted you have me there, but my point is that people are crying about wanting a new black and white and "the movies" while Lionhead has shown no interest in continuing those franchises. Yet people still get disappointed and angry when lionhead doesn't make one.

What the fuck is this shit?

Well I don't hate the idea...
Seems like it could be good. Strange turn that is for sure. Fable tends to be dark and gritty. This seems very bright. But nevertheless it seems interesting so I will probably buy it.

Risingblade:

A game... well it's a trailer for a game. I thought that was obvious.

Frozengale:

Risingblade:

Really? Well thanks for clearing that up for me!

Risingblade:

Frozengale:

Risingblade:

Really? Well thanks for clearing that up for me!

You are quite welcome.

fluxy100:

Granted you have me there, but my point is that people are crying about wanting a new black and white and "the movies" while Lionhead has shown no interest in continuing those franchises. Yet people still get disappointed and angry when lionhead doesn't make one.

I never played The Movies (it didn't really appeal to me at the time after all). While another B & W would be nice, it is quite unlikely we will see another one anytime soon. The way I see it, it's the whole "morality" slant that Lionhead have being going for in recent times more than anything, something which Fable has satisfied their itch for. Though it's always seemed a tad simplistic at times in those games. Rebuild the orphanage, or turn it into a brothel? Uh, why not rebuild the orphanage and turn one of the other many unoccupied buildings on the other side of town into a brothel.

Anyway, going back to the XCOM thing, maybe the way to get a new Black & White game released will to have some company start work a Black & White FPS (however that would work, I don't know). Amidst the fan uproar - tada! - a new B&W strategy-type game appears!

Penguinplayer:
Hey, Lionhead, remenber when you used to make good creative games like "The Movies" and "Black & White" instead of just things related to the Fable franchise?

Can't we go back to those days?

Meh, All I care about is a Proper Dungeon Keeper Sequel/Remake/Reimagining. Dungeons sucked ass.

R.I.P - Here Lies The Fable Franchise. Died sometime between 2004 and 2012.

To all the people saying that this is ruining the fable franchise: remember Fable 3?
This seems like fun, and if it's cheap enough I'll probably get it. I've always liked mario party, and the backstabbing aspect sounds like a lot of fun.

The Red Dragon:
I'm not going to dismiss it quite yet, it might be rather fun to play but c'mon Lionhead, why does this have to be another Fable game?

I agree... It seems like they could have released this as a new game series and it would have been just as good. I don't see what they gain by milking a dying brand name. What if they had another mythos, or some sort of unique humor that was the selling point instead of simply a brand name that used to be good?
*sigh*

Looks pretty shitty. Like dungeon defenders.
I hope they got the memo that a game about nothing but killing things, killing things should feel satisfying.

As for this carrying the name fable, why?

So

It's come to -this-

>_>

This can't be a Fable announcement. Where's Peter Molyneux tells me it'll bring back my dead cat? It's in his contract that he needs to be over the top about EVERY related to Fable...XD

Can't we have nice things anymore from Lionhead? :( Black & White was just too awesome. And I only really liked Fable 1....

Foolproof:

Penguinplayer:
Hey, Lionhead, remenber when you used to make good creative games like "The Movies" and "Black & White" instead of just things related to the Fable franchise?

....no, I remember when they made sucky, overhyped games like The Movies and Black & White. Is that what you're referring to?

You best be trollin', amigo.

Heroes might be cool, or it might be terrible. Don't care too much about it, but it can't be any worse than Fable 3, right?

Right?

fozzy360:

Foolproof:

Penguinplayer:

....no, I remember when they made sucky, overhyped games like The Movies and Black & White. Is that what you're referring to?

You best be trollin', amigo.

O come off it. Black and White was completely unsatisfying. Molyneux had a reputation for promising the earth and delivering shit before Fable had ever hit store shelves.

Eh. Well I can't say this appeals to me so I'll say this about Lionhead as a whole instead:

I'm not gonna say 'make another Black and White' because I wasn't really keen on em. If you'd removed the thing where you had to drag yourself along with a disembodied hand like a crawler zombie then I'd probably have liked them more.
What I'm going to say is this: If you keep making Fable games, stop adding stupid gimmicks. Stop adding all this emphasis on relationships with characters that it's impossible to care about because frankly without really good AI and a dialogue system beyond anything currently in existence they will never be anything more than pixels.
You cannot care about an in-game wife who communicates chiefly by laughing when you fart around her.
And stop trying to simplify everything. Having the red-screen edge thing instead of a health bar actually worked ok. The dog in place of the minimap was ok. But that doesn't mean you should also remove anything resembling depth in the combat system or levelling system or whatever. Come with something new by all means, but only implement it if it works better than the usual system employed by RPGs.
Gah.

If you're going to try and make a game feel dark and gritty, don't immediately undermine it with stupid dialogue and the aforementioned farting stuff. Or if you want to do both humour and grit, find writers who can genuinely mesh the two without one wrecking the other. Neil Gaiman is good at that. So is Christopher Brookmyre. Terry Pratchett could write an amazing fantasy game, although you'd probably have to pay a bomb to get him on your side. Talking of Terry, does anyone know how he's doing at the moment?

Back to Lionhead:

Reign molyneaux in. Keep him coming up with ideas, but by God don't let him be the one to decide which ideas are any good. And don't let him near the press. Ever.

Right. Okay. Time to calm down.

vrbtny:
R.I.P - Here Lies The Fable Franchise. Died sometime between 2004 and 1012.

I think you mean "somewhere between 2004 and 2012" not 1012

Looks like the Lionhead has lost its teeth.

Why in hell are they still banking on this mediocre franchise?

greenflash:

vrbtny:
R.I.P - Here Lies The Fable Franchise. Died sometime between 2004 and 1012.

I think you mean "somewhere between 2004 and 2012" not 1012

Thanks for that.... or maybe reverse time-travel!!!(colbert eyebrow dance)

WTF happened to Fable?

Molyneux has his head so far up his own ass, I swear to God...

bahumat42:

Archemetis:
What is this?!

On a serious note, nice to see the inovation that Molyneux and by extension Lionhead pride themselves on is shining even brighter with yet another Fable game!

thats just franchise abuse, i think we can quite safely not call this another fable game.

True enough.

Wow this looks terrible.

And I'd like to note that this is the most negative I've ever been about a game release.

Jesus, Fable 2 was better than decent. What happened? How many Devs developed and alcohol problem in the past few years because of this?

Wow does that suck!

I can't wait till angry joe finds out! The Fable series has really put him through the ringer.

Mike Kayatta:

set in the Fable universe

... Fable has a universe?

I kind of remember those little gnome-like monsters from the first one. And I remember chicken-kick'n. I dont think those count as a universe. Apart from that, everything I can remember from Fable is generic towns, people, etc that were mostly filler background for the plot and activities.

When theyve changed the visual style, theyve changed the gameplay, and as far as I can tell so far theyve removed the plot and story... what exactly is left that would justify referring to a "Fable universe"? I have to agree with the above comments that they look to have just tacked on the Fable name to a random party game for some extra publicity.

Penguinplayer:

I really need to reinstall the movies -shame my copy is 6000 miles away. Oh well :L

I was hoping for Fable 2:But good.
So basically the next Fable that was a good as Fable 1. Still I actually wouldn't mind this if I had 3 friends to play it with...

Im just excited to see what innovative hype techniques Peter Monlyneux uses for this one.

Ya if you love this game next you'll love resident evil party! You too can pick your favorite resident evil characters say like Nemesis and battle other characters like leon in a good ole fashioned board game/mini game free for all! If you ever wanted to see wesker play bowling or ride a piece of lumber to win those precious stars..errr i mean herb then you too can do it. Coming to a store near yooooooooooooooooouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!

I really don't understand all the hate and vitriol being aimed at Lionhead. I mean Fable 2 and Fable 3 did not live up to expectations but they were still pretty good games. Much better then some of the tripe that I have seen people call good games. Also this is not their next main game, it's just a side project that they are doing, a mini Fable experience. It's new, it's different, so what. It looks like it could be fun, I for one am going to buy it when it comes out.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.