"Family Values" Groups Launch Email Campaign Against BioWare

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

"Family Values" Groups Launch Email Campaign Against BioWare

Two more "family values" groups in the U.S. have launched an email campaign against BioWare, calling on the studio to keep same-sex relationships out of Star Wars: The Old Republic.

Here's what I remember about Star Wars: Darth Vader crushes a guy's throat with one hand. Luke Skywalker discovers the butchered and burned remains of his family, killed by a fascist military and left to rot in the sun. Ben Kenobi gets into a bar fight and chops a dude's arm off. Han Solo murders a guy. And that's the first 15 minutes! Things only go downhill from there, like when the Empire blows up an entire planet just to make a point.

But the Florida Family Association and the American Decency Association have other things on their mind. They're concerned that BioWare is exposing kids to same-sex relationships in Star Wars: The Old Republic, and they're calling upon their followers and other like-minded Americans to join them in an email campaign demanding that it stop.

A form letter asking BioWare to stop "impacting our children" is up now on the Florida Family Association website. "American families grew up with the Star Wars film series that was family fare. The films contained no profanity, no nudity and no sexual situations," it says. "It makes no sense that BioWare and Electronic Arts would shatter that family quality in Star Wars videogames just to pacify 35 LGBT polling participants and appease extremists."

"Star Wars videogames are for children. An overwhelming percentage of the 1.7 million games sold are being used by children who do not need to be exposed to this propaganda," it continues. "Please stick to your policy to avoid such advocacy representations in your games."

I'm not sure who these "extremists" are and I could be misunderstanding the reference to "polling participants," but I'm fairly certain there are more than 35 LGBT gamers signed up for The Old Republic. And as GamePolitics notes, SW:TOR is rated T (Teen), which means that if your eight-year-old kid is playing it, you're the one screwing things up, not BioWare.

The Florida Family Association is far from the only "family values" group to be upset about same-sex relationships in videogames, or even the first. In January, the president of the Family Research Council took to the airwaves to call the game out for its "homosexual activism." The Old Republic doesn't actually support gay and lesbian relationships yet, but BioWare promised last year that it would be added as a "post-launch feature."

A virtually identical letter is ready to go a the American Decency Association, offering the morally outraged a chance to get twice as mad in half the time.

But... I'm not that clueless, am I? It is an MMO, right?
Then it isn't about "decency," its about money. And same sex relationships are just going to make more money.

Also, people being eaten alive, limb dismemberment and a main protagonist being burned to cinders after being dismembered is family fare?
I'm sorry, but the violence in Star Wars disturbed me more as a child than any amount of profanity.

Andy Chalk:
"American families grew up with the Star Wars film series that was family fare. The films contained no profanity, no nudity and no sexual situations,"

Wait, what? Just going through what I remember of the star wars movies the only one I can think of that actually follows that is Episode 1.

Another day, another group of Leviticus Belt residents decide that "family values" means something other than what it actually does.

Apperently Luke and Leia kissing is not concidered an offence to "family values" . Figures, that's nothing but family.

I'm glad bioware will be ignoring this

People can be really stupid sometimes...

It's 2012...

If you can't keep same sex marriage out of real life, how can you ever imagine to keep it out of a damn game?

I have started linking the word 'family', with 'everything I hate' is that what you want me to think of when I hear family Florida Family Association website!

I don't want to live on the planet any more...

I know it isn't just America, but they seem to be the most noticeable offender when it comes to idiocy and homophobia. Makes me sad :[

Gods damn these idiots. Makes me ashamed to be a Floridian.

"Family values" = Christian bullshit.

..Yes, a game that doesn't even have same-sex romance options available yet (key word) is somehow directly endorsing the "homosexual agenda" by not having homosexuality in the game as of yet. And as far as I am aware, homosexual's do not possess Jedi Mind powers that can alter reality perceptions for people playing a game by making their Straight and Pure (tm) virtual romance scenes appear homosexual instead in some insidious fashion.

..Or do they?

Varya:
Apperently Luke and Leia kissing is not concidered an offence to "family values" . Figures, that's nothing but family.

See, there are a ton of states that allow cousins to marry, more than those that allow same sex marriage. So, yeah, that's totally cool with these morons...

Also, I hope this kind of garbage actually gets BioWare to put same sex romances in the game, I'm waiting for those to come out before I buy the game.

How come some people are just too fucking stupid to realize what they are doing?

Toasty Virus:
I don't want to live on the planet any more...

I know it isn't just America, but they seem to be the most noticeable offender when it comes to idiocy and homophobia. Makes me sad
:[

Cheer up Visit Holland we got military endorsed gay pride parades with soldiers in their unifroms.
The "gay issue" has been forgotten like 5 years ago. And severe acts of homophobia is on the news everywhere.
Beating up gays is considered one of the most despicable acts of hate someone can commit where i live and I live in a christian town where we have people protest against non christian schools en masse.

Andy Chalk:
"American families grew up with the Star Wars film series that was family fare. The films contained no profanity, no nudity and no sexual situations,"

Do I really need to go and get a picture of Leia in her slave outfit?

They are not forcing this on anyone. If you do not want your child exposed to the option of having a same sex relationship in a video game, don't buy them the game. Especially if it is rated for teens.

Murder and mayhem generally associated with warcrimes (including killing civilians, POWs, and fathers in front of their children): Totally okay.

Two guys/girls kissing: a clear affront to all that is decent!

These fucking conservatives are really getting on my nerves now. Luckily the world moves on without them.

Andy Chalk:

If you say so.

I'd love to hear a comeback from them regarding the above.

hahahah
silly conservative Americans thinking that homosexuality doesn't exist!
about what StarWars didn't contain(I never finished the movies) :
violence- Luke,s hand get,s chopped off
nudity- slave leia
also arguable incest

Yes folks, hear that? A giant, slimy space-slug keeping young women as what are clearly sex slaves is family fare. But allowing homosexual relationships? That's what's against family values.
Having swords that can slice through people like butter is perfectly alright and family friendly, but two people of the same sex using an arbitrary game feature to express affection to each other? HORRENDOUS!

And how the balls would this be propaganda? Is it such a crime to communicate the idea that being gay is alright? "Oh my, these people are showing gay people having equal rights! THIS MUST BE STOPPED!"

So murder, slavory, drug trafficing, all out war and general death are family friendly, but once we even utter the word "homosexual" thats when it becomes the devils work. Nice double standards you got there "Family Values" groups.

Not even going to comment on the claims themselves. Everyone else has done that already.

But Bioware would lose all of my respect if they bowed down to theese demands.

Andy Chalk:
A virtually identical letter is ready to go a the American Decency Association...

And i found a typo. Which is a bonus.

Right, I'll just let them continue with their delusions of grandeur.

EDIT.
Also, is the captcha screwing up for anyone else? I'm lucky this post got through without one, but they aren't appearing anywhere else for me.

Hey look. Stupid idiots being stupid idiots.
Part of me hopes Bioware will just put in really fucking hardcore gay sex as part of every class' story, just for kicks.

I hope every escapist will join me in a campaign of angry email writing. Show them what for gents. tell them to keep their "family values" out of reality. WE SHALL MODIFY THE FORM LETTERS! WE WILL MAKE IT SO THAT IT SEEMS THE "AMERICAN DECENCY ORGANIZATION" SUPPORTS HOMOSEXUALITY! ITS GENIUS!
Show them no mercy lads for they will give none in return.

Good thing that it's a game rated for 16+ then eh and that kids shouldn't be playing it in the first place.

Boom!
Lawyered!

The main character murders his wife and mutilates his son, but not before said son makes out with his sister. Yes, Star Wars has always been about "family values."

5-0:
These fucking conservatives are really getting on my nerves now. Luckily the world moves on without them.

Hey, we're not ALL bad. Just mostly.

GoaThief:

Andy Chalk:

If you say so.

I'd love to hear a comeback from them regarding the above.

She's not making out with a chick. So it's OK.

That's the best I've got, sorry.

Anyways: Bioware will ignore this.

hazabaza1:
Hey look. Stupid idiots being stupid idiots.
Part of me hopes Bioware will just put in really fucking hardcore gay sex as part of every class' story, just for kicks.

I can just imagine that

"Ohhh, is that a Lightsaber in your pants, or are you just happy to see me?
"The force and I are both strong in you"
"Once you go to the dark side, you never go back"
"That's no moon..."

Modsbannit, are we REALLY having this discussion?!

It's the year 2012. WHY is acceptance of homosexuality STILL a problem?!

I'm sorry, but these groups are just plain wrong here. Oh, and their kids shouldn't be playing a T rated game if they're not 13 yet. Not that that ever stops every whiney kid with a mic picking up M-Rated-Multiplayer-game-du-jour, let alone an MMO. >_<

What's next? Complainrs about the non-gendered NPCs in minecraft reproducing?

*looks at box and sees the PEGI 16 rating*

Why are these guys sending e-mails when they can't read?

These people...

Wait, no. I've decided not to waste any more words on idiots.

leet_x1337:
Another day, another group of Leviticus Belt residents decide that "family values" means something other than what it actually does.

Of course, it's also particularly amusing because homosexuality is nestled in between gems about shellfish and mixed cloth, which are disregarded. Also:

Varya:

Leviticus covers that, too. ;)

CM156:

She's not making out with a chick. So it's OK.

Yeah. And so what if she's supposed to be Jabba's love slave. Women are supposed to be submissive anyway.

>.>

It pretty much blew their credibility in my eyes when they said that what Bioware is doing is 'propaganda' and that 'Star Wars videogames are for children.' Both statements are complete BS and show that they have no idea what they're talking about. Star Wars isn't just for kids. In fact, I'd argue it's more for adults then kids. But I haven't seen them, so I can't really comment.

ohohoho, pissing off stupid people is ever so much fun;D

In other news, homophobes don't like it when media so much as hints at homosexuality existing.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.