John Romero "Has Plans" for a New FPS

John Romero "Has Plans" for a New FPS

John Romero, one of the original Masters of Doom, says he hasn't given up on the idea of another old-school FPS, but it won't be Daikatana 2.

John Romero knows a thing or two about making FPSes. Yes, the Daikatana debacle and that whole ugly business at Ion Storm took a bit of the shine off his chrome, but when your resume includes Doom and Quake, even your most vehement skeptics have to admit that, yes, you do have a certain undeniable credibility in the field.

None of which means a whole lot, really, because Romero has spent the past decade or so horsing around with mobile games, social games, MMOs and just about everything else but shooters. You might think that he'd given up on the idea of ever going near the genre again, but that's apparently not the case at all.

"Definitely not!" he wrote on Twitter in response to just that question. "I have plans..."

He has plans! But not, to be clear, for a sequel to Daikatana. "There will be no DK2!" he added.

I find that a little disappointing, actually. Daikatana may have been mediocre but its reputation for awfulness is largely a result of the massive hype campaign that preceded it rather than any particularly grotesque aspect of the game itself. There's also something vaguely appealing about the idea of throwing a sequel in the faces of gamers, perhaps mostly in its rock-star rebelliousness - John Romero telling us all to suck it down again. Dare to dream, I suppose.

via: Blue's News

"John Romero's about to make you his bitch...unlike last time, where really it was just a lousy date after he passed out from drinking too much."

Would be interesting to see something from Romero, I wonder if his game's storytelling would be as bad as Carmack's recent titles have been.

As long as he himself is the final boss like the good old days, that would be a good start. Or end. Or whatever.

I remain sceptical. The "Imma make an old school FPS!" plan generally means its going to be a Quake/Doom clone.

I want to see new ideas, no matter how ludicrous or how much they fail. A bit of experimentation goes a long way.

There's plenty of ideas to be had with an old school shooter. For me and 'old-school FPS' means it has good old fashioned ammo and health systems, a good mix between realistic, semi-realistic and awesomely-unrealistic weaponry, fast paced movements and LOTS of hitting people before they die.

Still plenty of space for a new and fresh element. I'd add the personal gravity reversal from VVVVVV, but then in a three dimensional world.

Egitor:
Still plenty of space for a new and fresh element. I'd add the personal gravity reversal from VVVVVV, but then in a three dimensional world.

]
This gave me motion sickness just thinking about it...

OT: DK2 would have been funny, as long as the marketing was suitable!

Andy Chalk:
...but when your resume includes Doom and Quake, even your most vehement skeptics have to admit that, yes, you do have a certain undeniable credibility in the field.

No, no I don't. Assuming Wikipedia's list of crap that he's worked on is accurate the man hasn't been involved with a decent game in ~16 years. So no I don't see where this credibility is. Make something that doesn't suck, stop living off of past glory and then we'll talk.

Egitor:
There's plenty of ideas to be had with an old school shooter. For me and 'old-school FPS' means it has good old fashioned ammo and health systems, a good mix between realistic, semi-realistic and awesomely-unrealistic weaponry, fast paced movements and LOTS of hitting people before they die.

I prefer less hitting enemies with lots of ammo to kill them, and hit them with a BFG and watch the gibs fly...

Andy Chalk:

I find that a little disappointing, actually. Daikatana may have been mediocre but its reputation for awfulness is largely a result of the massive hype campaign that preceded it rather than any particularly grotesque aspect of the game itself.

Yeah, the marketing for the game was some of the worst there's ever been (no, Romero, you will not make me your bitch), but even ignoring that, the game was just plain awful. In fact, it was down right unplayable at times, especially anytime the horrible, horrible teammate AI was involved.

TheBobmus:

Egitor:

This gave me motion sickness just thinking about it...

Didn't Portal 2 try to do this with the gels and were forced to cut it due to basically motion sickness in playtesting? Not sure where I heard that, perhaps here, or maybe on the in-game commentary.

It would rock the world if he made Daikatana 2 and the game was actually good.

Put in a (secret) level in which the player involuntarily performs a poledance in front of a virtual Romero and you have an instant classic.

Andy Chalk:

John Romero knows a thing or two about making FPSes. Yes, the Daikatana debacle and that whole ugly business at Ion Storm took a bit of the shine off his chrome, but when your resume includes Doom and Quake, even your most vehement skeptics have to admit that, yes, you do have a certain undeniable credibility in the field.

That's kinda like saying I am a modern special effects master because I do stop motion. Or I could conquer modern Europe because I have an ancient Roman army.

My point is Duke Nukem basically.

Lono Shrugged:

Andy Chalk:

That's kinda like saying I am a modern special effects master because I do stop motion. Or I could conquer modern Europe because I have an ancient Roman army.

Duke Nukem? I'm not the biggest Romero fan, but you have to admit, he's no George Broussard; at least he's finished some games since his last big release.

John romero? Havent heard that name in YEARS

o.o

who is this guy and why do i care he has 'plans'?

Personally, a Daikatana 2 sequel would be amazing. We definitely have the technology to make it possible.

Try again, Romero! Just... make sure you have sensible people running the developing and marketing teams.

Kitsuna10060:
o.o

They explain it in the first few minutes.

I hate growing up, but reading your post made me smile.

JayDub147:

Lono Shrugged:

Andy Chalk:

Duke Nukem? I'm not the biggest Romero fan, but you have to admit, he's no George Broussard; at least he's finished some games since his last big release.

True, What I meant though and I should have specified is that what was too cool for school way back when and sells itself on it's past glory needs to really nut up or shut up when it comes to making new properties in this modern market.

ElPatron:

Kitsuna10060:
o.o

I hate growing up, but reading your post made me smile.

hehe, ;) i was joking, i know 'who he is', though in passing. first person shooter have never been my thing. i was an NES/SNES kid growing up, only recently have i been gaming on the PC

though the video was interesting so thank you for that :)

Andy Chalk:
Yes, the Daikatana debacle and that whole ugly business at Ion Storm took a bit of the shine off his chrome, but when your resume includes Doom and Quake, even your most vehement skeptics have to admit that, yes, you do have a certain undeniable credibility in the field.

Why does everyone seem to forget that Ion Storm made Deus Ex? The game often tops "best game of all time" lists, yet when the company is mentioned everyone dwells on Daikatana.
Admittedly Deus Ex was Spector's thing, but as one of the company's founders I find it hard to believe that Romero had no involvement.

Personally I wasn't exposed to the Daikatana hype, and I actually enjoyed the game. It wasn't great but I'll agree it was nowhere near as bad as people like to make out. I just find it surprising that people don't seem to consider Ion Storm to have redeemed itself.

I'm so glad I was Mac-user back when this hype was going around. I.e I never actually heard of it before it all blew over.
But new oldschool fps? Sure, I'm in. Anything that isn't "realistic" works for me.

Romero has been out of the AAA development game for so long now, it's hard to believe he'll ever be a relevant presence again. I suppose he might be able to dredge up some VC on name recognition alone. Maybe. I'll believe it when I see it.

Lono Shrugged:

My counterpoint would be Serious Sam 3, basically.

Desaari:
Why does everyone seem to forget that Ion Storm made Deus Ex? The game often tops "best game of all time" lists, yet when the company is mentioned everyone dwells on Daikatana.

Because everyone also seems to forget (or doesn't know) that there were two Ion Storm studios, Dallas and Austin, and while the Austin studio had considerable success and was actually around for a few years after Romero left, in the collective gamer consciousness, Ion Storm Dallas = Ion Storm = Romero = Daikatana.

Andy Chalk:

Lono Shrugged:

My counterpoint would be Serious Sam 3, basically.

I get the feeling you are a glass half full kinda guy. But I hope you are right.

Romero hasn't done anything worthwhile since Quake. In fact, none of the original ID team have done anything groundbreaking since then.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here