Canceled Mass Effect FPS Became Mass Effect 3's Multiplayer

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Canceled Mass Effect FPS Became Mass Effect 3's Multiplayer

A team-based, cooperative Mass Effect FPS fell to the wayside as BioWare shifted its team and basic structure to Mass Effect 3's multiplayer mode.

If you think about it, it seems like Mass Effect 3 has largely deflected its criticisms by coming up with even more polarizing issues. The game's ending drowned out a lot of the bile about day-one DLC, which itself largely silenced complaining that multiplayer had no place in the final installment of the space opera trilogy. Although the fanbase is much quieter about the Galaxy at War mode than it was a few weeks ago, it may get noisy again when it learns where the generally well-received multiplayer matches came from. An ill-fated spin-off called Mass Effect Team Assault would have brought competitive, class-based, first-person shooting to the series in the form of a downloadable game. Instead, as expectations for Mass Effect 3's multiplayer shifted, it slowly transformed into the coop skirmish mode we all know and love/despise.

META was in development for four months around the beginning of 2010, and got far enough in the development process to have video of gameplay footage that features very familiar locations and weapons. The game's central mechanics share some similarities with ME3's multiplayer: Squads of soldiers, human and alien alike, would take up arms with a number of different class-based weapons and abilities. However, matches were not entirely cooperative. While players may have been able to team up, fighting other players - an impossibility in ME3 - would have been a feature of META. In fact, the game would have been something more in line with Battlefield 3 or Unreal Tournament 3 than Gears of War's Horde mode.

After BioWare realized that the current Mass Effect engine made integrating cooperative gameplay into the single player all but impossible, it transitioned the META team away from the FPS title and into the core ME3 multiplayer. BioWare did not want to let cooperative play fall by the wayside, since it felt that a galactic war would be an appropriate time to ask players to team up. Would Mass Effect multiplayer have worked better in its original form? BioWare is probably not done with the series just yet, so the galaxy might find out someday.

Source: The Final Hours of Mass Effect 3 via Kotaku

Oh god just wait until Zeel gets here. I don't know what his reaction will be but it cannot be good.

hazabaza1:
Oh god just wait until Zeel gets here. I don't know what his reaction will be but it cannot be good.

i see such posts a lot, and a must confess, he's not that amusing, or amusing at all really

Marshall Honorof:
After BioWare realized that the current Mass Effect engine made integrating cooperative gameplay into the single player all but impossible, it transitioned the META team away from the FPS title and into the core ME3 multiplayer. BioWare did not want to let cooperative play fall by the wayside, since it felt that a galactic war would be an appropriate time to ask players to team up. Would Mass Effect multiplayer have worked better in its original form? BioWare is probably not done with the series just yet, so the galaxy might find out someday.

Non-PR translation for people:
EA decided that every released game under their brand has to have Multiplayer for Online Pass, as well as marketing and longevity reasons, so they decided to push this into Mass Effect 3, which in turn caused the game to get delayed for over half a year, but don't worry about any of that, we're going to release more DLC soon so you suckers can give us some more of your money.

Hmm.. so instead of an extra cost wrapped up in a FPS we got a basically free excellent 3rd person team based multiplayer mode? I see nothing to complain about.

StriderShinryu:
Hmm.. so instead of an extra cost wrapped up in a FPS we got a basically free excellent 3rd person team based multiplayer mode? I see nothing to complain about.

You must be a brave soul to say you are in agreement with bioware (Not saying you were, but with everyone going a bit out of hand now a days...yeah you get my point)

Anyways, just wait, some person will complain about this. Cause gamers are a greedy bunch. You can't please them all, and if you don't then you are the devil it self.

StriderShinryu:

Indeed. Although I'm having some connection problems with the EA servers, so I can't really judge multiplayer beyond the first 5 minutes.

from what I see, sounds like basically a L4D/Killing Floor styled FPS in the Mass Effect universe

somebody's gotta get on that

Outcast107:

StriderShinryu:

You must be a brave soul to say you are in agreement with bioware (Not saying you were, but with everyone going a bit out of hand now a days...yeah you get my point)

Anyways, just wait, some person will complain about this. Cause gamers are a greedy bunch. You can't please them all, and if you don't then you are the devil it self.

Gamers are greedy, though in this case it would seem that the greedy option would be to support the built in mode we got as it's more for less money. As you point out, however, if it's a decision made by EA and/or Bioware it might as well have been made by the devil himself.

Oh, and yes, I fully support Bioware. I haven't not enjoyed one of their games for a long time and, despite some level of less than love for the ending of ME3, I love it overall too. If soneone is going to burn me at the stake for my opinion of them, and I'm sure some would like to, then I'll bear the flames with a smile. :)

Well, at least they didn't just throw it all away. If it's good, it's good. If not ...
Anyways, It would've been nice to have it known to be tapped on but this happens more than people realize.

StriderShinryu:

Outcast107:

StriderShinryu:

Gamers are greedy, though in this case it would seem that the greedy option would be to support the built in mode we got as it's more for less money. As you point out, however, if it's a decision made by EA and/or Bioware it might as well have been made by the devil himself.

Oh, and yes, I fully support Bioware. I haven't not enjoyed one of their games for a long time and, despite some level of less than love for the ending of ME3, I love it overall too. If soneone is going to burn me at the stake for my opinion of them, and I'm sure some would like to, then I'll bear the flames with a smile. :)

Oh don't get me wrong, I don't like EA very much at the moment. But it just seem like a lot of people are getting out of hand over this thing. Is the ending bad? of course, but hey its a game. Plus a lot are not acting so mature, spurting hate and wishing bioware would end at least this is a minority. Though anyways, if people actually acted mature they could probably solve this with ease. Just ask for a free epilogue DLC or patch. One that has closure to what happen to everyone. How they rebuilt or made their own hyber driver, mass relays, or whatever the fuck they want. What happen to all the choices you made like the krogan, geth, and qurians. To me this would be a lot better then a remade ending like everyone asking. Am I saying they want a happy ending? no, but to ask to have the ending remade is childish. What they need to do is just add on to it. At least thats my opinion.

It would not surprise me at all if the first trailer for ME3 (the London trailer) was originally meant for this game.

So they only came up with "Horde mode" for multiplayer? I hope Bioware releases more game-modes than just that... Which aren't paid DLC.

hazabaza1:

Obviously it's cut content that should have been in the game, that fact it wasn't completed is irrelevant.

Bioware are just money grabbing corporate whores.

Daystar Clarion:

hazabaza1:

Obviously it's cut content that should have been in the game, that fact it wasn't completed is irrelevant.

Also, grabble rabble frabble.

OT: Makes sense. The whole concept did feel sort of alien to the rest of the experience. At least it got integrated into something else instead of being canned entirely.

StriderShinryu:
If someone is going to burn me at the stake for my opinion of them, and I'm sure some would like to, then I'll bear the flames with a smile. :)

you and me, bro
you and me

SURPRISE SURPRISE!

They were trying to make an FPS spinoff. Who didn't see that coming? and instead of just canning that terrible idea they decided to slap it on ME3. Who works over at their HQ? The cookie monster?

terrible. Just terrible.

Daystar Clarion:

hazabaza1:

Bioware are money grubbing corporate whores. I thought you learned something from this whole me3 ending debacle? I guess some fans are slow to learn.

Zeel:
SURPRISE SURPRISE!

They were trying to make an FPS spinoff. Who didn't see that coming? and instead of just canning that terrible idea they decided to slap it on ME3. Who works over at their HQ? The cookie monster?

terrible. Just terrible.

Hey now, the cookie monster is awesome, despite dealing with changing social climates.

eventhorizon525:

Zeel:
SURPRISE SURPRISE!

terrible. Just terrible.

Hey now, the cookie monster is awesome, despite dealing with changing social climates.

They might as well put a business suit on a dog and make it conduct the annual budget meetings.

I was all set to dismiss another FPS, but then when I read it was going to be class based

hazabaza1:

Daystar Clarion:

Please, If they were REAL whores They would have replaced ME3 with META, cut the story down to a five hour campaign (but kept the ending and Day one DLC) and given it an all dubstep soundtrack.

And Shepard would have killed-off in the first 30 minutes. As it stands they're just another money grubbing corporate.

Hal10k:
Also, grabble rabble frabble.

... Touche.

Zeel:

eventhorizon525:

Zeel:
SURPRISE SURPRISE!

terrible. Just terrible.

They might as well put a business suit on a dog and make it conduct the annual budget meetings.

While thematically it is odd given the pure single player experience the series was based on to include multiplayer, once that trilogy was over there was no reason to let that IP just lie around (since it was proving quite successful). Multiplayer can theoretically grab a larger audience (something a large business is likely to want; more people = more $) while keeping a possible bonus from the IP. Once it became clear that the current ideas weren't working out, just forgetting the several months of work put into it wastes resources, if they can theoretically keep those people with their jobs and just merge them with the me3 team in a way that while some may consider it obnoxious, is at least free (for the PC) with the game as a opposed to the rest of the tie-in material.

Is it something that created a lot of outrage? Yes. Did I enjoy it a ton, especially given my initial misgivings about it? Definitely. Was it a bad decision from a purely business perspective? Not as large as you make it out to be (or not at all, but that is more a matter of perspective and requiring formal schooling in business stuff).

Zeel:
SURPRISE SURPRISE!

terrible. Just terrible.

Daystar Clarion:

hazabaza1:

Bioware are money grubbing corporate whores. I thought you learned something from this whole me3 ending debacle? I guess some fans are slow to learn.

you hurt my brain. A lot. You're worst then Cook Kid and Jimbo. At least they seem more agreeable then you are.

Zeel:
SURPRISE SURPRISE!

terrible. Just terrible.

Daystar Clarion:

hazabaza1:

You're right, they're such horrible people. Everyone is now aware of your message and we're all enlightened... Now go outside, find something like... Abusive pimps or maybe African warlords and go pester them. Remember, mighty zeel, through your unbridled hatred; You will change not only the Internet, but the world. TAKE FLIGHT!

EDIT: P.S. Don't forget to wear a cape while you do it

Oh dear Sun! The humanity! Another FPS? Shall I get my pitchfork?

But really, what if was a GOOD spinoff, or at least as average as ME3's multiplayer?
Some people really need to get off their high horse.
From a business standpoint: first person shooters sell. Mass Effect sells. Combine it.

Just because a developer that you secretly love is making something that you don't like, that does not mean that you should criticize it.

"After BioWare realized that the current Mass Effect engine made integrating cooperative gameplay into the single player all but impossible, it transitioned the META team away from the FPS title and into the core ME3 multiplayer."

Bioware seems to be struggling with the technical aspects of games production lately, not just with Mass Effect but also with The Old Republic. This is consistent with their career page that shows that they are looking to hire programmers and engineers at Austin and Montreal.

If buying games from EA is this bad, I bet working for them is even worse, so it's not surprising that they are having trouble attracting top talent.

Zeel:
SURPRISE SURPRISE!

terrible. Just terrible.

Daystar Clarion:

hazabaza1:

Bioware devs are money grubbing, corporate whores, so they canceled a separate FPS game so that they could add free content to the main game. Makes perfect sense.

Let me just say that I had my reserves against the multiplayer mode in mE3. Then I decided to give it a whirl - you know, see what's up.

I was not impressed.

tobi the good boy:

Zeel:
SURPRISE SURPRISE!

terrible. Just terrible.

Daystar Clarion:

You're right, they're such horrible people. Everyone is now aware of your message and we're all enlightened... Now go outside, find something like... Abusive pimps or maybe African warlords and go pester them. Remember, mighty zeel, through your unbridled hatred; You will change not only the Internet, but the world. TAKE FLIGHT!

EDIT: P.S. Don't forget to wear a cape while you do it

your post reminded me heavily of this:

http://www.morethings.com/fan/south_park/photo_gallery/al-gore-superhero.jpg

(sorry I don't know how to make it just post the picture :x)

He's super cereal guys!!!

Wait, you mean the multiplayer was actually being developed in some way a reasonable amount of time before the game released, and wasn't tacked on last minute as an obvious cash-in move by EA master control? What sorcery is this?

I love the multiplayer and I don't give a damn who knows. That said, I have no idea why everyone attacks Bioware, rather than the true money-grubbing company that holds their leash.

Is it really that Bioware is a terrible company that pisses on all their fans, or is that really any company in today's game industry? If you want a company that won't try to pump you for as much cash as possible, best to go play Indie games instead. Think about that the next time you voluntarily line up for something published by EA, Activision, or 2K.

I played multiplayer on the demo, and I thought it was freaking awesome. I loved the different characters, and with the powers things got really interesting.
I remember my first hours, it was so fast paced and I remember liking the AI.

I cannot talk about the ending because I haven't bought the game, but as soon as it gets on sale I might.

eventhorizon525:

Zeel:
SURPRISE SURPRISE!

terrible. Just terrible.

Preach it, brother!

I can't really see why anyone would have a problem with this unless they just have a raging hate-on for EA and/or BioWare.

I have no idea why there was complaints about the multiplayer, I got to play it a few days ago and it was a lot of fun. I played Gears back when I had an xbox and no one would ever revive anyone, I've never been down in ME3 where someone didn't try to get me back up.

You know, this is neither surprising, or upsetting. And personally, when it comes to games and especially this case, I'm becoming a sort of ends-justify-the-means person. Sure, while a class-based competitive multiplayer game set in the Mass Effect universe could have been horrible, especially balancing not only the different classes, weapons, and races, regardless of level or weapon upgrades and mods (assuming they would be included), Mass Effect 3's multiplayer is fun, and addictive.

I will admit that playing through the demo, it seemed more addictive than it is now, but it does work. It works well not just from the gameplay standpoint, but from a story standpoint too. Do you really expect everyone in the galaxy, from retired soldiers, mercenaries and armed civilians to just sit around and go, "Oh, there are Reapers and Geth and Cerberus (Oh my!), running about killing everyone. I think I'll see if Blasto is on again, got to love that Hanar Spectre!"? Of course not!

And really, Bioware essentially went, "Ok, we made a great game, disregarding certain areas. People will want their Mass Effect fix, and playing through the campaign is fun only so many times in a row. Now, we have a multiplayer spin-off that looks like it might not do well on its own, but... Hey! Lets essentially make a Firefight/Horde mode where four squadmates survive so many waves, complete objectives, and have it set as part of the war to save the Galaxy!". If you think of it like that, it really does work. The best part is, if you don't want to play it? You don't have to.

In this case, like I said earlier, I think the ends justify the means. Not in all cases, just some. This happens to be one of them.

teh_Canape:
from what I see, sounds like basically a L4D/Killing Floor styled FPS in the Mass Effect universe

somebody's gotta get on that

The current ME3 multiplayer is basically Killing Floor. Except all weapon and gear upgrades are done before and outside of each match, instead of collecting money throughout the rounds and buying new gear before each wave, like in Killing Floor.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here