Atari Offers Big Bucks for "Reimagined" Pong

Atari Offers Big Bucks for "Reimagined" Pong

Atari is offering a $50,000 prize to the person who can come up with the best iOS remake of the ultra-classic videogame Pong.

Remember Pong? Maybe not if you don't happen to be on the downhill slope of middle age, but you've surely read about the game that launched the industry: A pair of virtual paddles knocking a block-like virtual ball back and forth across a screen until someone gets bored and lets it slide past for a point. It may not sound like much now but you better believe that this was mind-bending stuff in 1972, and that was when we were still putting men on the moon.

We can't put men on the moon anymore but what we can do is remake old videogames for new audiences, which is why Atari is offering $50,000 for the best new "reimagination" of Pong for iOS devices, plus a "full revenue-share publishing agreement including marketing and PR support." Second place gets $37,500, third place earns $15,000 and the seven remaining finalists get $5000 each.

Judging will be handled by Atari [presumably an individual or small group representative thereof], Pocket God developer Dave Castelnuovo, tech blogger Mike Schramm and Atari Corporation founder Nolan Bushnell, based on the criteria of fun, originality, visual appeal and of course marketability.

Got a great idea for turning Pong into iPong? Head over to atari.com, fill out the entry form and attach a design document and a link to a playable build if you have one. It's okay if you don't but you might want to get going on it because if you do happen to be selected as a semi-finalist, you'll be expected to provide a playable demo and promotional video of your game. Entries in Atari's Pong Developer Challenge are being accepted until April 15, while the Grand Prize Winner will be announced on August 2.

via: I Programmer

Is taking the original Pong and adding on swiping up and down just too simple or something?

Here you go, Atari.

Your welcome.

/expected joke

For real: I'm curious how this will turn out. It'll be odd seeing a remake of pong of all things.

Pong: In Color!!!

Can I have the $50,000 now?

Smaller Paddles!

With motion controls!

IN 3D!

With online multiplayer!
With dubstep

Oh Atari, how silly of you, it has already been made:

I seriously doubt anything could be better than Shatter (as Pong clones/remakes go that is and yes, I know it's a clone/remake of Jailbreak/Arkanoid). Also, it happens to have one of the best soundtracks I've ever heard.

Seriously, how can they make anything better than this?.

isn't this like asking to re-invent the wheel?

This is actually very lazy from the point of Atari.
They get 100's of pong games which are all made with their intellectual property so all rights on those games belong to Atari.

So if you want to make a game, try being creative first and let this 'opportunity' pass. But hey, that's my opinion. It might be worth it if you can keep your costs under $5000 though. But there are way too many legal issues to my liking.

Add grenades that either side can throw to redirect the ball, and make it so your paddle can shoot bullets that can slow down or reverse the ball. There, done. And add in some flashy backgrounds and dubstep, the kids like those.

The problem with the original Pong was how quickly it got old. I'm (as the article so deftly puts it) "on the downhill slope of middle age" and I remember when my dad got my brother and me a Pong console (I think it was Magnavox-branded) when we were kids. We got bored with it in an afternoon and I don't think we even bothered to break it out more than once or twice after that.

I can't imagine how any kind of "re-imagined" Pong is going to work. Either it's going to keep the core mechanics and become tiresome to play very quickly or it will abandon them and it won't be Pong anymore.

Just do what they did with Pac-Man Championship Edition: make things all colorful and nice to look at and add some fabulous techno music while making the gameplay smoother but still retaining the core elements.

I'm no game developer but I'm sure someone else will use the same idea.

... Why don't they just LOOK! http://uploads.ungrounded.net/487000/487666_Pwong.swf

Just port that to HTML5 and there's your iOS remake!

There is even a sequel ready to go! http://chat.kongregate.com/gamez/0004/8409/live/Pwong-2.swf

The greatest pong game of all time is obviously bit. trip. beat. so too bad for atari but is it really so hard to add a bunch of swappable pleasant backgrounds and music, swiping controls and maybe a gimmicky 1 player mode? this is just so unneeded...

Mortuorum:
The problem with the original Pong was how quickly it got old. I'm (as the article so deftly puts it) "on the downhill slope of middle age" and I remember when my dad got my brother and me a Pong console (I think it was Magnavox-branded) when we were kids. We got bored with it in an afternoon and I don't think we even bothered to break it out more than once or twice after that.

I can't imagine how any kind of "re-imagined" Pong is going to work. Either it's going to keep the core mechanics and become tiresome to play very quickly or it will abandon them and it won't be Pong anymore.

your family werent as creative as mine.. full contact pong.. now that was an experience

im suprised they havent taken the usual route with a reboot.. making a gritty dark future generic future.. "can you unlock the dark secret of the PONG! corporation"

curious timing.. the original TRON movie was on.. it had a great version of pong

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here