GameStop CEO Says Next Xbox Won't Block Used Games

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Foolproof:

DVS BSTrD:
You're the CEO of GameStop.

You're not the one actually MAKING it!

Why the fuck should we care what you have to say about it?

Because he's the CEO of the single largest (by a wide margin) distributor of videogames?

Exaclty... I listen to when my largest buyer says something. Could MS go elsehwere, sure, but that's not a good business model. Besides, people buy new knowing the can trade it, it would also hurt the new purchase market.

Foolproof:

ablac:

Foolproof:
You're not listening. If Gamestop can't sell used games for this thing, they won't make enough of a profit to be worth carrying it. So why would they keep selling it if they don't make any money on it?

Because then they have nothing to sell and stand to go out of business while the console is bought and sold at other retailers. It would be more harmful to gamestop but they do have power and I doubt microsoft want to see them go.

Because as we all know, Sony and Nintendo don't exist.

Hmm maybe go out of business was a dum thing to say and i take that back i wasnt thinking though i thought this was Sony as well. However the point still stands that Gamestop wont simply stop stocking all microsoft stuff because they stand to lose more giving up the new console rather than simply taking a hit to used sales.

DVS BSTrD:

To be fair, he wasn't saying it to us, he was mollifying shareholders. I guess the extension of your question is "why is this news?" Since he didn't actually post this to us.

RaikuFA:
Cause Gamestop can refuse to stock it and the games for it. That'd put a huge dent in Microsofts sales.

Pyrrhic victory comes to mind. Though the question is "why do we care" regarding his claims on the product itself.

DVS BSTrD:
So of course, IF the new X-box actually DID include "anti-used game" tech, they'd be SURE to tell GameStop wouldn't they?

To be fair, this would be confirmed well before launch.

Keava:
Actually, as a selfish bastard I am, I hope new consoles won't have any sort of used-game protection or 100% digital model.
Why you ask? Well, publishers of course, who are more and more annoyed by the used market every year. Maybe it would lure them back to making decent PC games for a change, and we could live happily ever after.

One can dream...

So you hope something bad happens to another group so that publishers would possibly but very unlikely look back to your platform....

That's a little beyond selfish.

NiPah:
Now factor in the amount of products Gamestop moves for Microsoft, which I'm sure Microsoft has calculated as well.

I'm sure they've all done the math, but just because they've done the math doesn't mean they're not going to continue crusading against them, anyway. As it goes for the publishers in general.

Zachary Amaranth:

So you hope something bad happens to another group so that publishers would possibly but very unlikely look back to your platform....

That's a little beyond selfish.

D'aw. That "something bad" bit made me chuckle. It's not like You get physically hurt by not being able to buy used games, sorry if You feel that way.
The lack of used market for PC games never stopped me from playing games You know? Magick.

And if sales on crappy games will go down because of it, that's even better, it will either force the developers to adjust the price to quality or actually release good games instead. If a 60$ game only lasts someone for a week I don't really see it worth those 60$ to begin with.

RaikuFA:

DVS BSTrD:

Cause Gamestop can refuse to stock it and the games for it. That'd put a huge dent in Microsofts sales.

Thing is Game not being able to sell Mass Effect 3 didn't seem to hurt its sale in the UK much. If the Publishers and Console makers ever do decide to play hardball the big retail chains would be screwed. Places like Amazon and the Supermarkets would be happy to carry on selling the titles and they couldn't care less about used sales.

Not that I think they would be like that, just that if they did it wouldnt hurt the publishers as much as some people think it would. The loss of good will from the consumer is the biggest problem they would face, not the loss of the gaming retail chains.

Zachary Amaranth:

I'm sure they've all done the math, but just because they've done the math doesn't mean they're not going to continue crusading against them, anyway. As it goes for the publishers in general.

I'm not sure crusading is the right term, all that most publishers have done is either add a 10 dollar DLC pack for used buyers to play multiplayer, oh and a few press releases to make used buyers feel bad about themselves. There was one publisher, Capcom, who released a game without a save delete feature and they went on record as saying it wasn't to stop used game sales... If I remember correctly this also resulted in Gamestop not stocking the game, I wonder how much that helped Capcom.

J Tyran:

Thing is Game not being able to sell Mass Effect 3 didn't seem to hurt its sale in the UK much. If the Publishers and Console makers ever do decide to play hardball the big retail chains would be screwed. Places like Amazon and the Supermarkets would be happy to carry on selling the titles and they couldn't care less about used sales.

Not that I think they would be like that, just that if they did it wouldnt hurt the publishers as much as some people think it would. The loss of good will from the consumer is the biggest problem they would face, not the loss of the gaming retail chains.

In the US where Microsoft is based and has the most profit at stake Gamestop is a huge market force.

DVS BSTrD:

Bravo, your ability to take the words right out of my mouth is incredible!

xbox has no reason to do the 'anti used' bullshit.
besides the fact they get enough money and used games still allow for dlc to be bought, the only thing that will do is just hurt them in the long run and cause people to jailbreak xboxes

ablac:

Foolproof:

ablac:
Because then they have nothing to sell and stand to go out of business while the console is bought and sold at other retailers. It would be more harmful to gamestop but they do have power and I doubt microsoft want to see them go.

Hmm maybe go out of business was a dum thing to say and i take that back i wasnt thinking though i thought this was Sony as well. However the point still stands that Gamestop wont simply stop stocking all microsoft stuff because they stand to lose more giving up the new console rather than simply taking a hit to used sales.

Not by much. Plus, you have to realise that shelf space is itself a commodty. If they could fill the same shelf space that they would devote to new copies of Microsofts games, and new Microsoft consoles, with new and used Ps4 and WiiU games, they would easily make more money back.

Foolproof:

ablac:

Foolproof:

Not by much. Plus, you have to realise that shelf space is itself a commodty. If they could fill the same shelf space that they would devote to new copies of Microsofts games, and new Microsoft consoles, with new and used Ps4 and WiiU games, they would easily make more money back.

They would make a huge loss of sales. If they stood to gain from abandoning the xbox then they would have already. At present it seems to be the most popular of the two (nintendo is playing its own game to a very different market).

Andy Chalk:
However, we do believe that Microsoft may be targeting a cheaper physical solution in an effort to get the initial price of the box down

lol what? You mean the actual game box/disc? Because I am not sure cutting down on the PENNIES they pay for each disc will make a difference.

albino boo:

FoolKiller:

albino boo:

Only used games have minimal deprecation over the first 6 months ie the used game is worth 95% of its retail price. So the other retail models have been around longer but have much higher deprecation than the games and thus cannot be used as model.

Where are you getting this data from?

Maybe some of the AAA titles aren't depreciating all that much but the rest are. Fallout: New Vegas was 50% less than launch at 6 months, and that was arguably one of the better titles. Mass Effect 2 dropped like a rock in a similar time frame. And I've seen games that lose 70% in two weeks because no one buys it. And this is the new game's price.

We're talking about the amount you get for a game when you trade it in used because that is where the depreciation lies. Yes, a car loses thousands in value when you drive it off the lot but games lose a lot too. I have seen at most $40 dollars being paid (as trade-in never as cash) for a $60 game. Most of the time I see a new-release game within a week only getting $30 to $35 in trade-in because the early adopters got bored and decided not to keep the game around. Nowhere do I see $57 dollars being paid for a game that is $60 brand new.

http://www.amazon.com/Fouls-Chronicles-Thomas-Covenant-Unbeliever/dp/0345348656/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1332537466&sr=1-4

Look at the price change 7.99 to 1 cent used, is the deprecation on games as extreme as that? Obviously not. So in the real world, guess what, used book are worth less than used games. How many books at 1 cent would you have to sell to make the same amount of money that they make at 7.99 price? 1000s at least. It costs more to have the book delivered than it does to buy.

Well with math like that, who could argue? Especially bending the information hoping I don't look at the link I guess. And hoping I didn't notice you change the point. Tsk tsk.

1. We were talking about the depreciation of something after 6 months on the market, not after 25 years.

2. The used from 1 cent cost should be compared to the new from 3.99 column
if you are going to use that argument.

3. Since you are determined to use this example, I shall give you a clear example where all of the ratios that you seem to want to use are given. Note Final Fantasy having a used from price around $10 and a new from price around $2000.

http://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_npmv=3&_trksid=p3910.m570.l1313&_nkw=nes&_sacat=1249

4. You still haven't given data supporting the concept that a video game retains 95% of its value 6 months down the line. With the exception of a collector's edition or games that have a higher retention rate that requires more time to beat(say an RPG), most games drop 35 to 50% upon opening the game.

Grunt_Man11:
Not everyone can afford to buy games new all the time.
Not everyone has high-speed internet.
Not everyone has their consoles connected to the internet.

Then they should choose a cheaper hobby, or buy less games. I never thought this argument carried any weight. If you can't afford to do something, don't do it. Same could be said for smoking, drinking, phones, cars, shopping, and other things.

Keep dreaming buddy. Gamestop's business model was doomed to fail eventually.

ablac:

Foolproof:

ablac:

They would make a huge loss of sales. If they stood to gain from abandoning the xbox then they would have already. At present it seems to be the most popular of the two (nintendo is playing its own game to a very different market).

Right. They're sticking with it. Because they can still sell used 360 games.

You keep missing the point. In order to make up the money that they got from a pre-owned game, Gamestop would need to sell approximately 30 new copies of that same game instead of one used copy. That means that in order to justify keeping the next Xbox around in their stores, that console would need to be 30 times more popular than the 360 - in other words, it would need to be bought by 1.5 billion people.

Keava:
It's not like You get physically hurt by not being able to buy used games, sorry if You feel that way.

I don't, nor did my expression come anywhere close to that. I'd like to know how that makes the effects in any way not negative.

hey, if PC gaming went under tomorrow, you wouldn't be physically hurt, so it's okay if it happens, right?

NiPah:

I'm not sure crusading is the right term, all that most publishers have done is either add a 10 dollar DLC pack for used buyers to play multiplayer, oh and a few press releases to make used buyers feel bad about themselves.

If, by a few press releases, you mean persistently blame piracy and used sales for non-existent financial problems for years, using the profit loss bogeyman to campaign against used sales and also to scare people into thinking DRM and stopping the used market is necessary, while using the same measures to placate investors who have been hit by the same fear, then yes.

But then, their systematic attack on the used market almost sounds like a crusade when you don't dismiss it as a "few press releases."

CardinalPiggles:

Grunt_Man11:

Then they should choose a cheaper hobby, or buy less games. I never thought this argument carried any weight. If you can't afford to do something, don't do it. Same could be said for smoking, drinking, phones, cars, shopping, and other things.

So If I lived somewhere that couldn't get high speed internet or had a cap on my bandwidth it's my fault cause I can't afford it? Because that would be out of my control and something I have to deal with from the ISP, not due to lack of funds. Thankfully I don't have to deal with that but there are people who have capped ISPs, and gimped bandwidth speeds.

Also to the people who hate the sale of used game products, why can we do it legally on ebay and amazon with more then just games? No one else is so damn gung ho to stop it, the only people who are getting made about it now are game publishers (and they always blame used game sales when a game doesn't sale well which is almost hard to blame when they go by the first two weeks of sales, the game was just crap).

Zachary Amaranth:

NiPah:

I'm not sure crusading is the right term, all that most publishers have done is either add a 10 dollar DLC pack for used buyers to play multiplayer, oh and a few press releases to make used buyers feel bad about themselves.

If, by a few press releases, you mean persistently blame piracy and used sales for non-existent financial problems for years, using the profit loss bogeyman to campaign against used sales and also to scare people into thinking DRM and stopping the used market is necessary, while using the same measures to placate investors who have been hit by the same fear, then yes.

But then, their systematic attack on the used market almost sounds like a crusade when you don't dismiss it as a "few press releases."

I like how they blame used game sales for poor sales on poorly reviewed games or releasing a game the day a bigger name game is coming out (Sega is releasing Rythem Thief R for the 3DS around the same time as the Final Fantasy Rythem game) and whine about used game sales or piracy. Yet if it's a big name game they will gladly brag about the sales after a week it came out. I never see publishers like Atlus get made at used game sales not giving them a lot of money (then again they don't print a lot of games so they don't have to worry because they always sell out >:( ).

BoredRolePlayer:
So If I lived somewhere that couldn't get high speed internet or had a cap on my bandwidth it's my fault cause I can't afford it? Because that would be out of my control and something I have to deal with from the ISP, not due to lack of funds. Thankfully I don't have to deal with that but there are people who have capped ISPs, and gimped bandwidth speeds.

Also to the people who hate the sale of used game products, why can we do it legally on ebay and amazon with more then just games? No one else is so damn gung ho to stop it, the only people who are getting made about it now are game publishers (and they always blame used game sales when a game doesn't sale well which is almost hard to blame when they go by the first two weeks of sales, the game was just crap).

There is nowhere in the world that every single ISP has caps on downloads, some countries have ridiculously expensive ISP's but that goes back to my earlier point saying if you can't afford it, don't bother.

Also I have nothing at all against used game sales, because I buy used sometimes if it seems worth it, but saying not everyone can afford new games is such a bad argument because again, if you can't afford it, don't bother.

If you can afford a gaming PC, you can afford to buy games new, if you can afford to buy an Xbox, you can afford to buy games new. Other forms of media like books don't require anything else to work so the argument works in that case.

BoredRolePlayer:

Because other products have actual signs of uage making the ued version inferior, as well eBay not harassing people to put their chest of draws up for sale on eBay within a week of them getting it.

I'm pretty sure Microsoft would be doing something similar to Steam then, should they go for a unabletosellusedgames model.
And like Steam, you'd probably just have to log onto their LIVE network and access your library or some such.

Maybe.

lacktheknack:

SonOfVoorhees:
I think digital download only will destroy the games business more than used gaming because alot of people buy new knowing they can resell it to buy there next game. If they cant resell it then it will make them more choosy about which games they buy full price.

I fail to see the problem with this.

I'll field that. What is meant in the above post, but clearly not well delivered, is this:

In order to block used games, MS would have to either go DD or resort to some form of coding on the disk, which would allow the game to be played on only one machine.

I've always been against the former as it tramples on our rights as consumers. In a DD format (like Steam), the consumer does not actually own the product in question. The consumer is simply buying a licence to use the product. Licences can easily be revoked. But I'll come back to DD in a second

In the disk coding format, yes, MS would kill the used game market. It would also kill the rental market and the ability to borrow from a friend. I don't know about you, but I can name several games I've rented, knowing nothing about them, that I later purchased new, because I thought they were very good/entertaining/etc. Without being able to rent them however, I was not willing to drop $60 on them, as I did not have enough info to warrant a purchase.

The above format would only serve to help established franchises (COD, FF, GoW, Gears, Halo, Zelda, Mario, etc) and hinder, or even cripple the little guys who have little/no exposure.

DD has the same effect. Demos can help, but demos are often misleading. And again, while most big budget releases have demos, many of the little guys just can't afford to put one out. Is MS going to subsidize every dev so they can create a demo? Expect a jump in your Xbox Live membership cost... not to mention the price for increasing your DL caps with your ISP. Rogers already takes enough of my goddam money.

Finally, as a consumer, it is my choice whether I want to buy/sell on the second hand market. It can be done with almost every other product on the planet - why not games? I beg to differ with those who claim used games "cripple" the industry. I know many people who always buy new, but will sell old games to obtain the shiny new one, thus feeding the circle of (video game) life Lion King theme plays out.

CardinalPiggles:

Grunt_Man11:

Really? You using the "go tip a cow, you hick" argument?

"Can't let them filthy poor people play our games."

That's what you're saying, and it is what truly carries no weight. Way to act like the 1% there pal.

Reality check, get one.

Grunt_Man11:
Snip

As a PC gamer, it really doesn't bother me. I have a PS3, but I haven't really touched it since I built this beast.

Frostbite3789:

Grunt_Man11:
Snip

As a PC gamer, it really doesn't bother me. I have a PS3, but I haven't really touched it since I built this beast.

And what about those it does bother? Are they just SoL? Do people who live on a budget deserve nothing? Do people who live in a rural area deserve nothing?

Also, has no-one learned from the whole PSN hacking and outage debacle? That event alone proved how bad digital distribution is. Think about it.

All it would take is one determined hacker to completely erase all of your games, saves, achievement, and so on. The worst part, you can't do a single thing to stop them. The safety of your game library is in the hands of a team of other people whom, as Sony has shown, might be completely incompetent.

Someone might say, "Well yeah, but your house could burn down a destroy all your physical game copies." True, but there is always a chance I will be home and are able to prevent the fire from getting anywhere. It might be a slim chance, but it's more than the 0% chance you have of stopping a hacker who decides it would be funny to wipe out a digital distributor's cloud server.

Grunt_Man11:
Snip

I think you're overreacting to a frankly, extreme level and trying to argue a point with someone who has no stake in the argument.

If consoles went to DD, great. I don't care. You didn't really need to quote me to tell me all that. I'll continue to use Steam for it's sales, and go pick up physical copies when I can/if I want to.

captcha: face the music.

Pretty much all people who buy used games made within the last, say, year are the same as pirates anyway.

So I say bravo new Xbox, get rid of used games, good riddance, especially if it helps to kill gamestop.

Grunt_Man11:

Not. A. Problem.

-Steam doesn't allow resale of games but compensates with the wonderful deals on their service, with 50% off to 75% off to as much as 90% off on bundles. You can't say you can't afford to buy any games on this service, and this is much better as there are MORE copies out there and the developers actually see some money this way selling new discounted, rather than resused.

-High speed internet is not a requirement. Steam allows you to use ANY backup to build an install from. In my internet cafe people will often bring in an external hardrive to have large popular games be copied over. Or they could jsut use DVDs to distribute the raw game content, but you have to pay online for the unique key and updates in order to play online, etc

-If you are too lazy to connect your console to the internet even if you have internet then they are probably too lazy to even transition to the next generation. They won't buy and Xbox 720, hell they may still have just a Playstation 2

See, us PC gamers have solved these problems already. And we've been going great for almost the past DECADE on a Digital-Focused marketplace, if you'd ever care to check it out you see how well it's doing. How Valve is more profitable-per-employee than Apple.

*Phew* Oh thank god. I clicked into this forum worried I wouldn't be able to play the games I own. Oh what's that? We'll be allowed to own hard copies of the games we pay for? Stop it, I'm getting a fucking chubby.

Treblaine:

Grunt_Man11:

Not. A. Problem.

-Steam doesn't allow resale of games but compensates with the wonderful deals on their service, with 50% off to 75% off to as much as 90% off on bundles. You can't say you can't afford to buy any games on this service, and this is much better as there are MORE copies out there and the developers actually see some money this way selling new discounted, rather than resused.

-High speed internet is not a requirement. Steam allows you to use ANY backup to build an install from. In my internet cafe people will often bring in an external hardrive to have large popular games be copied over. Or they could jsut use DVDs to distribute the raw game content, but you have to pay online for the unique key and updates in order to play online, etc

-If you are too lazy to connect your console to the internet even if you have internet then they are probably too lazy to even transition to the next generation. They won't buy and Xbox 720, hell they may still have just a Playstation 2

See, us PC gamers have solved these problems already. And we've been going great for almost the past DECADE on a Digital-Focused marketplace, if you'd ever care to check it out you see how well it's doing. How Valve is more profitable-per-employee than Apple.

And a number of those games require you to log on to Steam in order to play... at all.

Trust me the day some hacker decides to give Valve the PSN treatment is the day you'll start singing a different, tear fueled, tune.

Grunt_Man11:

Frostbite3789:

Grunt_Man11:
Snip

And what about those it does bother? Are they just SoL? Do people who live on a budget deserve nothing? Do people who live in a rural area deserve nothing?

Also, has no-one learned from the whole PSN hacking and outage debacle? That event alone proved how bad digital distribution is. Think about it.

All it would take is one determined hacker to completely erase all of your games, saves, achievement, and so on. The worst part, you can't do a single thing to stop them. The safety of your game library is in the hands of a team of other people whom, as Sony has shown, might be completely incompetent.

Someone might say, "Well yeah, but your house could burn down a destroy all your physical game copies." True, but there is always a chance I will be home and are able to prevent the fire from getting anywhere. It might be a slim chance, but it's more than the 0% chance you have of stopping a hacker who decides it would be funny to wipe out a digital distributor's cloud server.

Valve have contingency plans for this that others can follow. If they ever get hacked or somehow shut down like by a meteorite hitting their main headquarters then all the games you downloaded will have a secret patch that unlocks them to be stand-alone. You can never lose purchases as your purchases can be verified by each individuals bank so licence keys can be recovered. No way they can hack a network and EVERY BANKING NETWORK RELATED TO IT!

This worry is like saying "What happens to all the song on my iPod if someone hacks Apple". Nothing, They are on your hard drive, they are safe there.

As to achievements, well that can ALREADY be hacked yet in the past almost 7 years there hasn't been even a small-scale attack on achievements records, only reversible personal hacks. And if they did, so what? You need a computer to confirm what you know you did? If that Achievement icon doesn't show that you nailed that particularly skilful move... then it never happened. Achievements don't unlock any new aspect of gameplay, it's just an icon in a menu. It's like losing your High School Diploma in a fire, it doesn't mean you never graduated from High School.

One thing I think the PSN hack demonstrates is complacency. PSN was hacked largely by Sony's negligence and irresponsibility. Valve have come under similar attacks but handled it properly. Sony just don't know enough about networking, it's not in their DNA as a hardware company, they had a disc and retail vision which honestly is more at home in the 1990's than the 2010's.

Captcha: Easy as cake (they really are prophetic these things)

Grunt_Man11:

Treblaine:

Grunt_Man11:

Not. A. Problem.

And a number of those games require you to log on to Steam in order to play... at all.

Trust me the day some hacker decides to give Valve the PSN treatment is the day you'll start singing a different, tear fueled, tune.

Yeah, but you don't have to be online to play, just log into your account on Stream. You ALREADY have to do that today, on my Xbox 360 I can't access my saves or makes saves without login to my profile on Xbox Live. Play without saves? Impractical. I'm sorry that things can't go back to the N64 days of just plug and play but those days are OVER!

"Trust me"

After the ignorance you have demonstrated?

Hey, it has ALREADY happened to Valve and they handled it fine isolating the intrusion and detailing their limited access and subsequently changing sensitive info. The personal data was locked down and encrypted, we had our "PSN moment" and Valve totally nailed it. No tears. No change of tune. So nice blind assertions there, buddy.

You have demonstrated nothing but your prejudice and ignorance of this matter.

That would be ridiculous. Duh. What happens when someone buys a new game, plays it, uninstalls it, then plays it again later? Would they have to buy it again? Don't be ridiculous, you silly fool.

Though, wasn't there just an article, on this very site, complaining that Gamestop and places like it are hurting the AAA gaming industry by keeping the price of games as high as they are because the guys making the game get only a small share of the profits, so they have to maximize price in order to get a reasonable return?

Pretty sure there was. Can't find it at the moment.

FelixG:
Pretty much all people who buy used games made within the last, say, year are the same as pirates anyway.

So I say bravo new Xbox, get rid of used games, good riddance, especially if it helps to kill gamestop.

Sarcastic applause for this most ignorant statement.

When you buy a used car that was built within the last year, is this the same as someone who just commited grand theft auto? Of course not, and buying used games =/= pirating.

Hope you didn't like renting and borrowing a friend's game either.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here