GOG Gets a New Name and "Newer" Games

Pages 1 2 NEXT

GOG Gets a New Name and "Newer" Games

Good Old Games is branching out with a new name, newer games and one hot-looking indie release.

Remember when Good Old Games tried to drum up publicity for its full launch by pretending it was going out of business? Boy, we sure learned something from that fiasco, didn't we? So this time around, the guys are doing things a little more normally, which, while perhaps a bit "boring," manages to get the word out without dragging weeks of rage and recriminations behind it - "the word" in this case being that the service is rebranding and dipping its toe into the waters of newer and indie games.

Good Old Games is now officially GOG.com, which is what most of us called it anyway, and starting today it will begin adding newer titles to its catalog of classic games. First on the list are the point-and-click adventure The Whispered World and the gorgeous platformer Trine, while Darwinia, Spacechem and the magnificent Machinarium Collector's Edition are all "coming soon."

Some of the new games will come in higher than GOG's previously-top-tier $9.99 price - The Whispered World is $14.99 - but GOG said higher prices are necessary to support the addition of new games and insisted that its policy of flat, worldwide pricing would be maintained. And more games are on the way; GOG has signed deals for more than 20 "newer classics" from both major publishers and indies.

GOG is also getting into the indie game distribution business, starting with the upcoming Legend of Grimrock, which is now available for preorder. The old-school dungeon crawler is priced at $14.99 but can be preordered now for just $11.99 and, like other GOG games, will be entirely DRM-free.

Other changes at GOG include a revamped homepage, updates to the "community wishlist," better download speeds and new features on the "My Account" page. And while it's tricky to nail down GOG's "newer" games remit, I suppose the same can be sold of the former "old" descriptor, too. At least we don't have to wring our hands worrying about what's going to happen to all our games, which is a plus; beyond that I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Nice. I've gotten a game pack from GOG once, pretty quick DL and nice to not have to put another program on it to play them.

Now if some DD would come out with Age of Mythology I'd be happy.

I see the new games but the website looks pretty much the same to me? Only thing different seems to be the background colour, aside from that its had that smooth look for quite a while now.

Would love to see a few more titles pop up there like Blade Runner, Discworld and C&C Red Alert. Got BG2, Vampire Redemption, Dungeon Keeper and Arcanum from GOG.com, very handy site!

Would you like some whine with that Cheese GOG?

Really though Great commercial, although I feel like I missed a bit when the "tester/taster/sniffer"(?) jumped straight to the perks.

If GOG can start getting even more new games, like current releases, I could definitely see them as some serious competition to Steam. Who wouldn't want to buy all their games DRM free?

Waaghpowa:
If GOG can start getting even more new games, like current releases, I could definitely see them as some serious competition to Steam. Who wouldn't want to buy all their games DRM free?

See? It is entirely possible to compete with Steam without having to become the quagmire that is Origin, pay attention EA. You might learn something.

not sure about the newer games thing. I love gog for its cheap flat pricing and fast DRM free delivery.if i wanted newer games I will probably just go to steam DRM or no because I have had some problems with the gog downloader.

Is this like KFC where they're trying to ditch the "fried" word when everyone knows anyway?

Fasckira:
I see the new games but the website looks pretty much the same to me? Only thing different seems to be the background colour, aside from that its had that smooth look for quite a while now.

Would love to see a few more titles pop up there like Blade Runner, Discworld and C&C Red Alert. Got BG2, Vampire Redemption, Dungeon Keeper and Arcanum from GOG.com, very handy site!

Not sure if Red Alert was one of them, but I know EA released a number of the old C&C games for free on their website a while back, also not sure if that was a limited time thing.

Daymo:

Fasckira:

Not sure if Red Alert was one of them, but I know EA released a number of the old C&C games for free on their website a while back, also not sure if that was a limited time thing.

Looks like they removed it and put First Decade on Origin.

So excited. Newer games, no DRM, bunch of goodies bundled with them.

May stop buying off Steam. Much rather wait a bit and buy the games DRM-free.

Sir Ollie:

Daymo:

Fasckira:

Looks like they removed it and put First Decade on Origin.

Sneaky EA, it's freeware now a google search shows me, so plenty of places to get it free and legally. Pretty much no point in buying the first decade anymore because 3 of the games are freeware.

Andy Chalk:
Remember when Good Old Games tried to drum up publicity for its full launch by pretending it was going out of business? Boy, we sure learned something from that fiasco, didn't we?

Yeah, I learned that even though I go out of my way to support DRM-free sources of product, my don't-support-douchebags policy is more important to me. Haven't bought a single bit from them.

Well since GOG gets covered from the escapist if so much of a color change of the site is done I have my beliefs that someone has stocks or an interest into GOG. Great a couple new games added to the catalog, if it was steam it would be news everyday.

Hashbrick:
Well since GOG gets covered from the escapist if so much of a color change of the site is done I have my beliefs that someone has stocks or an interest into GOG. Great a couple new games added to the catalog, if it was steam it would be news everyday.

as you already know the big news is that these games are comparatively new when compared to the rest of the gog library (the witcher games don't count as they were made by CDredprojekt(I hope I am spelling that right)) and it could mean a change in direction for the site which is considered by many as more of a paying library rather than a full scale digital distribution service in the style of gamersgate or steam.

paislyabmj:

Hashbrick:

as you already know the big news is that these games are comparatively new when compared to the rest of the gog library (the witcher games don't count as they were made by CDredprojekt(I hope I am spelling that right)) and it could mean a change in direction for the site which is considered by many as more of a paying library rather than a full scale digital distribution service in the style of gamersgate or steam.

Almost, it's CD Projekt Red :)

Anyway, it's big news indeed. It's not the fact that they added a few new games, it's the fact that they're stepping up their game from old titles to compete more directly with even Steam. Still without DRM. Which is crazy! So crazy in fact, that it might actually work. Their bigger problem will be convincing publishers. They've already been making that case with presentations based on Witcher 2 numbers, and it already took convincing with the old games and they've been succeeding. It might take time but i guess it's possible to turn around some publishers opinions if sales start rolling in without, i reckon, a significant increase in piracy. I say this last part because DRM never stopped anything. I remember reading about some game that had a cracked version on torrents while there was a perfectly easy to distribute DRM-less version available, can't remember which was it. Those guys actually like the challenge, so they can rub it in publishers faces once they succeed, so why bother? Take the challenge away, and there goes their motivation :P

Hashbrick:

Nothing as complicated as that, they just cut me a cheque based on the number of times I say "GOG" every month. Taking your quote into account, this post alone is going to earn me an extra $37.50.

Totes for realsies.

This news is awesome, not for what it is today, but for what it might mean in the future. GOG is pushing. If they can prove, little by little, that a digital games distributor can be successful without DRM, we could be looking at a future "adapt or die" situation for publishers that currently use draconian DRM. And that's what it will take to convince the investors that these games don't need to be protected from pirates. I plan to continue buying from GOG whenever they are an option.

First- DARWINIA, ok I already have it on Steam but that is a seriously good game, although not at all new. Most importantly does that mean other Introversion games will be coming to GOG? Defcon, Uplink, Multiwinia, maybe even Prison Architect?

Secondly, I must admit I am intrigued by Legend of Grimrock, it stirs something deep within my primal gaming being. Will it be any good? That will be in the Eye of the Beholder. All I know is that you can have a Minotaur party member who gets a damage bonus for every human skull carried in their inventory, and the game is quadriplegic friendly.

EDIT: Just checked the website and yes I already have most of the "new" games except of course Grimrock, but also SpaceChem is coming and I haven't picked that one up yet, though I've been meaning to.

More importantly... HOLY SHIT ANACHRONOX!
Can't believe that's finally on GOG.

Anyway, this is good, I guess? I mean, I have Steam for more recent games, but I can see the appeal of a GOG version.

Andy Chalk:

Hashbrick:

Nothing as complicated as that, they just cut me a cheque based on the number of times I say "GOG" every month. Taking your quote into account, this post alone is going to earn me an extra $37.50.

Totes for realsies.

I am going to take this seriously and at face value.

Fasckira:

Discworld would be nice. A version of 'Missing Presumed...!?' that works on Windows 7 without crashing all the bloody time? Oh hell yeah. It had the best intro I've seen to a game ever:

Wouldn't mind seeing more of the Warlords titles up there. I mean Warlords: Battlecry is fun and all but I wants Warlords 3!

hmm this might be a bit of a coincidence but my Captcha is "I'm not dead yet"

Hmmm, well I'm not especially happy. I was hoping GoG would remain humble and niche focused as opposed to selling out like many other companies that get big. Newer games, higher prices, I supposed it was unavoidable.

See, to my way of thinking there were tons of games that I was hoping to see make their way to GoG like say "Legacy: Realm Of Terror" and "Elvira 2: Jaws Of Cerberus" which don't seem to be there (though I might have missed them), just to name two. I'm a bit wary when I see them focusing on newer games that require more in the way of negotiated liscencing, and the "indie" platform which in of itself could be a full time project. What's more, once you start seeing a price creep it rarely stops, I'd imagine we're going to see an increased focus on bringing in games for the higher price tags, many of which probably require less work, than actually trying to get old games to run well on newer systems.

Opinions vary, but I'd have preferred GoG remain about old games, and stick to their $10 top price point. I was able to accept an exception for "The Witcher 2" given that the dev studio owns GoG, but this seems like it's going too far IMO.

I'm confused, since the name doesn't seem to have changed since the last time they announced the change, but hey, why not. I do like GOG, though. Great service they offer over there. I should see what else they have for sale right now...

I like the site, it's just so simple, and I love all the extras you get with the games!!

They've had new games for a while though haven't they? The Witcher2 was on there from release, at full price! I guess it sold pretty well then and they are branching out... I hope they don't just try to become the new Steam or something? I prefer gog.com for old games, as they are pretty cheap, often dropping to half price, and you don't have to pay any subscriptions or hidden costs... simples!

Elementary - Dear Watson:

They've had new games for a while though haven't they? The Witcher2 was on there from release, at full price! I guess it sold pretty well then and they are branching out... I hope they don't just try to become the new Steam or something? I prefer gog.com for old games, as they are pretty cheap, often dropping to half price, and you don't have to pay any subscriptions or hidden costs... simples!

Yes but I think GOG is actually owned by CD Projekt so it was their own game(not 100% sure on this tho). I don't think they had any new ones aside from that.

DementedSheep:

Elementary - Dear Watson:

Yes but I think GOG is actually owned by CD Projekt so it was their own game (not 100% sure on this tho). I don't think they had any new ones aside from that.

Aah... I did not know that! But that would make sence... I did wonder why it was the only new game!

I just had another look at the site, and I guess the only difference is that I couldn't find 'good old games' written anywhere... so the new name must just be a re-branding to the acronym... Like BAe... it doesn't actually stand for British Aerospace Engineering anymore... it is now just an acronym, which is why it is spelt with a little 'e'!

Legend of Grimrock looks nice and when it gets down to the 5 dollar or less range where i can afford it ill get it but i still wish they would add more old games that i missed getting when they were new

What I have to say about GOG getting newer titles.
There is only a finite list of old but classic titles for the PC.
And many larger studios will not play ball with older titles (Like EA never allowing a DRM free Original C&C).

GOG is all well and good, but until they actually make Dungeon Keeper 2 work with my PC, I have no reason to buy from them.

Considering they've already got quite a few 'newish' titles already I don't really see this being much of a change. Personally I'm more excited that they finally got Anacronox in their catalogue, definitely will be picking that up next week!

Legends of Grimrock looks excellent as well. Always loved those ye olden style 'gold box' adventures. Last new one of those I played though was Orcs & Elves on my DS, been ages since anyones made another.

AC10:

Andy Chalk:

Hashbrick:

Totes for realsies.

I am going to take this seriously and at face value.

Exxxxxxxcellent.

I need to get in on some of that GOG money action.
To the GOGmobile!

I'm happy about them becoming a full service. Unilke other Steam competitors they actually bring a bunch of new things to the table - DRM-free, complete editions with various goodies, fair regional pricing, support for old games, non-intrusive client.

I still wish they were more extensive in their porting. To a lot of games it only extends to "getting it running" without adressing certain annoying issues, like the Infinity Engine slowdowns. Finding a fix on the forums is easy enough, but still something to work on.

darksakul:
What I have to say about GOG getting newer titles.
There is only a finite list of old but classic titles for the PC.
And many larger studios will not play ball with older titles (Like EA never allowing a DRM free Original C&C).

Wait, wait. Wasn't C&C: Gold made free when they released First Decade bundle? And first Red Alert is free to download as well.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.