Obsidian Gears Up For Wasteland 2

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Obsidian Gears Up For Wasteland 2

Brian Fargo has added a huge incentive to drive Wasteland 2 Kickstarter funding to even higher levels: Obsidian Entertainment.

I'll get right to the point. If the Wasteland 2 Kickstarter, currently sitting at $1.65 million in funding, can reach $2.1 million before the clock hits zero in 17 days, development of the game will be joined by Obsidian Entertainment. How huge is that?

Ridiculously so. Obsidian was formed by veterans of Black Isle Studios, whose logo you will see on games like Fallout, Icewind Dale, and Planescape: Torment, and which, as a division of Interplay, already has a long history with Fargo. "Wasteland is one of my favorite RPGs of all time, and when Brian asked if I wanted to work on the sequel, I jumped at the chance," Obsidian CCO and Planescape: Torment Lead Designer Chris Avellone told Rock, Paper, Shotgun. "While I've worked on Fallout 2 and Fallout: New Vegas, getting the chance to work on the spiritual successor to the Fallout franchise is a honor."

Fargo said that the addition of Obsidian will give the project access to "an incredible library of story, dialog and development tools" plus the experience to use them, which will help quicken the development process. The fact that this is probably as close as we're ever going to come to an Interplay/Black Isle reunion is a pretty big plus, too.

It's obvious what needs to be done now. Wasteland 2 needs our money - all of it! Kickstarter.com, people. Let's make this happen.

Holy shit, Obsidian did incredible work on New Vegas, this could be AWESOME.

Until recently I always thought the front cover of the game was a strange door.

This probably won't happen as the funding has slowed down to a crawl.

Well, that settles it then. Time to throw all the money I can spare at this thing.

The thought of Obsidian helping with the story for this thing... it makes me very, very happy. In my pants.

Yo Dawg, I heard you liek dystopian future games dawg

Now I want to donate to this again.

Irridium:
Well, that settles it then. Time to throw all the money I can spare at this thing.

The thought of Obsidian helping with the story for this thing... it makes me very, very happy. In my pants.

The #2 comment on the Wasteland 2 Kickstarter video on Youtube: "For once I am literally throwing my money at the screen and IT IS WORKING"

Lots of money-throwing is happening here.

Well, now I just got very interested.

If I had my own money, I would be throwing all of it my screen. I used to have no interest in this game; if Obsidian has any involvement in the writing, I'm pre-ordering.

Of effin' gee. I already said that the one thing I would really really kickstarter was if Obsidian did an old school low resource RPG thing...

And then I saw this screen and thought, yeah but it'd be a B-team, they would get Chris Avellone on it...

OWH. Take my money!

Wow, they're really getting the 7 Samurai together on this one. I was already planning on sending some money, but this just bumped me up a bracket.

This is why we can have nice things.

Thats quite some incentive...

I may have some extra cash for this...

Ok, now I'm interested in Kickstartering this.

Well, looks like I'm getting this.
Of course, it'll be a few months after release so it's not a broken piece of shit (Looking at you, NWN2!)

gonna have to throw some money at this when i get some that is next week maybe

I'm in. Bring on Obsidian!

Not only is Obsidian in general considering joining, but Avellone himself (my favorite game writer, period) is expressing personal interest? Hell. Yes.

Hopefully they'll spend a little bit of that 2 million on a QA department.

Damn.. well i have cash that i won't be spending on anything else.

To the prepaid card store! away!

PrinceOfShapeir:

feel free to read up fargos last interview. QA is handled by the publisher.

Take all my money!

Well I did get paid today, so I have no excuse.

To Kickstarter!

Is this gonna be the generic obsidian work where they take something was epic and just release it with a few modifications and pass it off as original? If so count me out. I could barely get through New Vegas because it was just Fallout 3 with mods for console.

Audacity:
Is this gonna be the generic obsidian work where they take something was epic and just release it with a few modifications and pass it off as original? If so count me out. I could barely get through New Vegas because it was just Fallout 3 with mods for console.

Oh no! they took a successful formula, improved upon it, and then filled the game world with interesting characters, locations, and quests. How dare they make a sequal to a popular game and make it their own while keeping what brought in old and new fans of Fallout in Fallout 3.

Also wasn't the first wasteland one of the biggest inspirations for Fallout?

oh my thi is getting insane i so cant wait.. come on people lets get obsidian onboard :D

...So does that mean we can expect the story to be a third longer than they have time to develop and then get chopped off just before release...?

I kid. I actually quite enjoyed Alpha Protocol, and mine spouse has been playing the heck out of New Vegas (albeit with a significant amount of help from some FAQs to work around some of the more significant bugs.) I'll probably chip in to make this happen.

Ewyx:

PrinceOfShapeir:

Damn! Got here too late to preemptively mention this! Link for easiness.

There. Can you people lay off Obsidian's back now? It made me a bit irked to see the whole "bugs" criticism mentioned over and over throughout MM. Keep in mind, this would/will be Obsidian working without publishers on it's back, free to keep the content they want in the game and to take care of the QA part themselves, without the pressure to meet strict deadlines (and running out of financing, if one donates enough). /throwsmoney

aemroth:

Ewyx:

PrinceOfShapeir:

There. Can you people lay off Obsidian's back now? It made me a bit irked to see the whole "bugs" criticism mentioned over and over throughout MM. Keep in mind, this would/will be Obsidian working without publishers on it's back, free to keep the content they want in the game and to take care of the QA part themselves, without the pressure to meet strict deadlines (and running out of financing, if one donates enough). /throwsmoney

Sorry, no, don't buy it. There hasn't been a single Obsidian game that wasn't a buggy mess. Coincidence? Doubt it.

Still not giving my money to this, but if it comes out in a few years, I'll probably buy it.

Ok that's it I'm giving up my birthday present to give all of that money to this kickstarter. Here's to hoping that they get to make the game they always wanted.

PrinceOfShapeir:

aemroth:

Ewyx:

Sorry, no, don't buy it. There hasn't been a single Obsidian game that wasn't a buggy mess. Coincidence? Doubt it.

Funnily enough, Obsidian haven't self-published a game either.

Lucasarts and Bethesda are on record as screwing Obsidian when it came to QA'ing the game. Lucasarts knobbed them out of an extra year's worth of development time, and Bethesda told them they'd handle bug-testing inhouse.

Strangely, Obsidian developed their own engine for Dungeon Siege 3, and by all accounts it's as bug free as any other game out there on the market. Seems like if you let Obsidian use their own tools, and give them a reasonable development period, they can make a game as smooth as anyone else. Funny that...

PrinceOfShapeir:

Great, got a better argument besides "No!" ?

o.0 sorry i got hung up on the pic, as my mind in fact has not exploded

PrinceOfShapeir:

aemroth:

Ewyx:

You just had a link with Obsidian's original publisher telling you how QA works and you are still in denial. Also go check out every one of Obsidian's games and see how many of them have had horrible publishers or some other problem. KOTOR 2 was rushed out with a 3rd of the game unfinished and Lucas Arts refused Obsidian the right to make a patch after the game was released. Neverwinter Nights 2 was using Bioware's Aurora Engine and had technical support from Bioware as well. Alpha Protocol was made when Obsidian was going through massive troubles so that's the only one they can be truly blamed for save QA because as said by a freaking publisher they take care of it. Fallout New Vegas had Bethesda's QA behind it so that was a death sentence from the start that cost Obsidian some of their jobs. Dungeon Siege 3 used Obsidian's own engine and is nearly bug free with only a few people having any problems with it at all. Do you see it yet?

PrinceOfShapeir:

aemroth:

Ewyx:

Obsidian is going to be working on design and writing so that isn't even really relevant.
Besides at this point we almost have old Interplay back for this project and they made great games.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here