Watch The Surprisingly Awesome $700 Mega Man X Movie

Watch The Surprisingly Awesome $700 Mega Man X Movie

You don't need a huge budget to make an excellent videogame movie, and this fan-crafted Mega Man X homage proves it.

Alright, in fairness the "movie" is only four and a half minutes long, but given the fact that it cost only slightly more than a launch-era PlayStation 3 to make, and still manages to evoke a brilliant sense of the Mega Man X game world, I'm going to give it a pass.

Besides, I think we've all realized that Hollywood, with its millions of dollars and theoretical creative ideals, is totally incapable of doing any better.

Crafted by fan Olan Rogers, this vignette focuses on a simulated fight between X and Protoman. Why Protoman? Rogers explains:

The reason I chose to use Protoman, was for the mystery surrounding him it's never officially said what happens to him.

This is important, because it's the best indicator that Rogers is both a fan of the Mega Man X series, and knows how to expand on established canon without breaking down what Capcom already built. Unlike the vast majority of Hollywood's game adaptations that cherry pick whichever parts of a game's plot that any given director prefers in the interest of spinning a tale almost unrecognizable to the existing fanbase.

Super Mario Bros., I'm looking in your direction.

Anyway, enough Hollywood bashing. Propers to Olan and his dedicated troupe for putting together the best Mega Man X movie in existence. Sure, the movie wins that award almost by default, but that shouldn't detract from the excellent work here.

Why is Tron wearing a Kestrel Helmet?

Wait that was Mega Man? PREPOSTEROUS!!! He was never anywhere NEAR an effing roof in that video!

Yeah, he looked like a combination between Tron and Iron Man. And ironically, Mega Man from the Battle Network series. But hey, for such a low budget and being fan-made and for 4 minutes, it was pretty well done!

I think what saves it is the small plot. Dr. Light is pretty good (He waves his hand a lot, though) and the music was spot-on. It definitely has potential. All this guy would need was a much bigger budget.

NO, WAIT! Scratch that!

Hollywood, do not look at this! Mega Man?! Who's Mega Man? What are you talking about?! Hehe...

Aw crap...

Strangely enough I just beat Mega Man X again this weekend for the first time in years. Coincidence much?

I was really confused by the fight scene until the image of dr light appeared and we realized MEGA MAN had been in stasis running "will he murder everyone" diagnostics for 30 years.

Im not exactly clear why Dr. Light was in trouble at the start.

Huh. A bit cheesy, but overall pretty nice, especially given the small budget. I wonder how hard it would be to match this to a Protomen song, though...

Roll: "mega man mega man!!"

Not Protoman... It was at least as good as Tron: Legacy, actually better if I factor in length.

Listening to it again it does sound a little like a requiem.

antipunt:

Shut your MOUTH!
(egoraptor is the winner of all internetz)

OT: The outfits seemed a little... Minimal. I figured there would be more armor and less skinny black spandex.
Oh well. For a $700 indy film it's all right.

antipunt:

RIDIN' ON CARS! DODOODODODODO!

Oh, god. If they made a movie with Mega Man ridin' on cars, I'd watch that. I'd watch that all over the place. e_e

"Cheesy" when it got to the battle between Megaman and Protoman. Still pretty good though. Too bad it's only 4 minutes.

Beautiful End:
NO, WAIT! Scratch that!

Hollywood, do not look at this! Mega Man?! Who's Mega Man? What are you talking about?! Hehe...

Aw crap...

What have you done?!? D:

In before the lawyers from Capcom.

You know they'll do it.

AbstractStream:
"Cheesy" when it got to the battle between Megaman and Protoman. Still pretty good though. Too bad it's only 4 minutes.

Beautiful End:
NO, WAIT! Scratch that!

Aw crap...

What have you done?!? D:

WAIT! I can fix this! Uhh...maybe a movie about X wouldn't be so bad! Maybe it would be a cool movie with a cool plot and excellent actors. A story where the movie stays true to the original game in every possible way. And good special effects! I mean, we've seen Hollywood do that before, right? D8

I'll just let myself out now.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here