The Gates of Grimrock Swing Open

The Gates of Grimrock Swing Open

The old-school dungeon crawler Legend of Grimrock is now on sale, and at a sale price, too.

If you've somehow managed to miss out on it [which is pretty much an impossibility if you're a regular reader], Legend of Grimrock is an old-time dungeon crawl in the vein of classics like Dungeon Master, Eye of the Beholder and Stonekeep. It's an unapologetic throwback to the glorious days of old and yet it's also incredibly good, and I can say so with some authority because yes, I have in fact played it. And now, so can you!

Legend of Grimrock
went on sale today and while the pre-order deal is no longer valid, you can still pick it up at a bit of a discount. Until April 18, Almost Human is offering the game at ten percent off the already ridiculously cheap regular price, making it an even more ridiculous $13.49.

You should probably be aware, if you're not familiar with the genre, that Legend of Grimrock is not a particularly easy or forgiving game. While more modern RPGs like Skyrim want you to be the hero, Legend of Grimrock wants you to die and does its very best to make it happen. You will need to scour walls for hidden buttons, you will need to find and eat food if you don't want to starve to death and, if you turn on "Oldschool Mode" [which can't be turned off, by the way] you will have to take up pencil and paper to draw your own maps or risk being lost in the halls of Mount Grimrock forever. It's just that kind of game.

Legend of Grimrock is available now from GOG, Steam and directly from the developer at grimrock.net.

Already bought it. I hadn't seen any gameplay of it till today and bought it afterwards. Damn my slow download speed...

I would also like to urge people to get it from either their site or GOG, no DRM baby!

It's on sale on Steam as well, I think it's cheaper there then on their website though. xD

I was expecting to play more of it today, but the pre-order version from their website using the steam code must've "derped" a bit, as it didn't unlock until later this evening.

So I only played a bit of it, what I can say though, is that the music is pure awesome.

Waaghpowa:
Already bought it. I hadn't seen any gameplay of it till today and bought it afterwards. Damn my slow download speed...

I would also like to urge people to get it from GOG, no DRM baby!

If you buy it from their site you get both link to download it DRM free and a steam code. So it's not only GoG.

I had such a major nostalgia boner when I saw it.

Bought it right away.

And as of a minuite before my posting of this message my copy of this game is downloading from Steam.

Never tried one of theese games before, lets see how ill measure up.

therandombear:

Waaghpowa:

I would also like to urge people to get it from GOG, no DRM baby!

If you buy it from their site you get both link to download it DRM free and a steam code. So it's not only GoG.

The dev cost of the game is the same as GoG, though admittedly slightly more money goes to the devs through their site.

therandombear:
So I only played a bit of it, what I can say though, is that the music is pure awesome.

The only music you'll get is in main menu though, so I wouldn't really get the game for that reason.

Do check out the composer, Stakula, he is pretty awesome. His band has a couple of videos on Youtube too.

I only just started out with the game, but so far it's delivering on every single nugget of hype. Getting horribly murdered hasn't been this much fun in years!

So yet another game with poorly done and antiquated systems that tries to sell itself on being classic?

PASS.

Well, I'm on level 3 and maybe in front of the hardest puzzle yet in this game.

Foudn a load of secret areas, even secrets in secrets. Found several nice puzzles and good hidden keys. Enjoy the atmosphere a lot. Intrigued by the story so far.

Whoever passes it because he thinks he is some kind of cool kid misses on an excellent game.

Waaghpowa:

I would also like to urge people to get it from either their site or GOG, no DRM baby!

Plus, if you swing that way, you get a Steam key when purchasing directly from the developer. Best of both worlds if you have a need for Steam and cheevos.

tmande2nd:
So yet another game with poorly done and antiquated systems that tries to sell itself on being classic?

PASS.

Do not say that. I have never played a game like this before so the nostalgia is none existent and i found this game to be very enjoyable. The controls aren't that bad at all. It adds to the experience.

Downloading now. This was the first game I pre-ordered in quite a while, but after seeing Total Biscuit playing it, I decided I basically had no other option.

imageimageimageimage

We are talking serious old-school chops here. As someone who couldn't get enough of this sort of thing on the likes of the SNES, I may just pick this up.

Just cleared the first floor. I'll say this: best game I've bought since getting Serious Sam 3 for cheaps last week. Which says little, I guess. So let me say it this way: I am having fun!

I'm hopeful that we'll see more Grimrock music released in the future. The main theme is fine but there's some really nice atmospheric background in the mix too. I'd love to be able to listen to it outside of the game.

I'm playing it right now, just got down to dungeon level 3 (but need to take a break for a while). Pretty good to be honest, sadly not many people even try and develop games in this vein anymore.

Perhaps if Grimrock does well we'll see a more advanced version along the lines of say "Wizardry" released.

I will say that one design element that doesn't sit well, and this was true with "Dungeon Master" and similar games as well, is the use of food and limited light sources to create a sense of urgency. I tend to find that annoying, especially in a game that encourages a lot of exploration and problem solving, since your liable to spend a lot of time backtracking looking for keys and buttons and such.

Got it, started playing immediately, level 4. Goddamn spiders. So far very pleased. Just realized I totally missed a secret on level 3. Just realized I could have gotten past that one thing so much easier. Feeling really content with the whole thing. Considering switching to old school mode.

So yeah, Grimrock's pretty great. It pushes all the right buttons in my brains and makes me just want more Grimrock. Hasn't disappointed in any way yet. Looks gorgeous.

Unapologetic throwback!? I LOVE unapologetic throwbacks! Time to go spend some money. :)

On level 2 on hard, really enjoying it. Haven't hit any real puzzles yet, but the tools I'm being introduced to look really interesting. Atmosphere is spot-on and appropriately desperate. Combat is amazing - really gets you to plan out fights in terms of the level, it's features, and your party. Got roflstomped by a mini-mushroom a few times, worked out a strategy, and won handily, which in my mind is the mark of a really good combat system. If you like this sort of dungeon crawl and you're not playing this, you should be.

tmande2nd:

PASS.

Please do not feed the troll

I just finished level 3 and am really enjoying it so far. I'm surprised at how much modern graphics add to that kind of game. The smooth steps and the graphics makes it much more enjoyable than old DM styled games.

I'm a sissy and playing on normal mode. I think they have the difficulty level just right, both in terms of combat and puzzles. The puzzles make sense with just the right amount of hints sprinkled on top.

It is an antiquated system, but it's certainly not poorly done. Great polishing on that game.

And I used to hate Dungeon Master.

sniddy:

tmande2nd:

PASS.

Please do not feed the troll

There's nothing wrong with criticism when its honest. The game mechanics are a throwback to something that was developed within the technical limitations of the 80's, and are, on the surface at least, pretty simple. Looking at the marketing for Grimrock, the latter point is also valid.

Neither of those things are actually negative of course, so the conclusion is a bit irrational. Otherwise: fair enough.

This looks awesome, but why, why, WHY did they have to make it first-person?
Why coudln't they make it NeverwinterNights/BaldursGate/DragonAge:Origins style?
Ugh, I might end up not playing it at all.

reminds me of akalabeth I love/loved that game

Realitycrash:
Why coudln't they make it NeverwinterNights/BaldursGate/DragonAge:Origins style?

its a fp dungeon crawler you are not supposed to see your character,it is a tile based movement game aswell

Pat8u:

Realitycrash:

its a fps dungeon crawler you are not supposed to see your character,it is a tile based movement game aswell

..Yeees, and I dislike FPS-Dungeoncrawlers, but I like party-based dungeoncrawlers?
I wouldn't mind a fully isometric, tile-based dungeon-crawler, honestly. Like Realmz (anyone remember Realmz?) but with decent graphics and no bugs.

Realitycrash:

Pat8u:

Realitycrash:

its a fps dungeon crawler you are not supposed to see your character,it is a tile based movement game aswell

..Yeees, and I dislike FPS-Dungeoncrawlers, but I like party-based dungeoncrawlers?
I wouldn't mind a fully isometric, tile-based dungeon-crawler, honestly. Like Realmz (anyone remember Realmz?) but with decent graphics and no bugs.

I meant to say FP but anyway, This game is extremely basic and thats what they were going for, it has next to no story it shouldn't even be third person as the first person adds to the immersion and makes the stlye of the game all that much better.
a third person game like this would be weird.
anyway this is a very niche title

Realitycrash:

Because that's the style of the genre. It's first-person by nature. You wouldn't make the next Doom a text adventure, would you?

On another note, even though I had nothing to do with its creation I'm incredibly pleased and happy to see everyone digging this game so much. Not because it validates my own opinion (although that's always a plus) but because I'm honestly excited to see this kind of resurgence of "grassroots gaming." It's nice to have some like-minded people to share that excitement with, too.

Sadly, I won't be able to hammer on Grimrock again until probably the weekend. I'm about to drop into level six, can hardly wait to see what's down there...

My only beef with the game so far is the enemy spam/HP.

Just gets tedious when I have to fight five skeletons, all with a lot of HP, and I am just side step, slash, side step, slash, side step...

Still a cool game though.

Pat8u:
it has no story it shouldn't even be third person as the first person adds to the immersion and makes the stlye of the game all that much better.

Ah, but there is a bit of a story. Don't forget to sleep!

Andy Chalk:

Pat8u:
it has no story it shouldn't even be third person as the first person adds to the immersion and makes the stlye of the game all that much better.

Ah, but there is a bit of a story. Don't forget to sleep!

yea I know, I edited a correction when I realised

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here