Codemasters Says "Racing is Everything"

Codemasters Says "Racing is Everything"

Codemasters has announced that it is now focusing exclusively on racing games.

Codemasters isn't an industry heavyweight by any stretch of the imagination but it's been around since 1986, it employs 700 people and it's put out a lot of games over the years, some of which are actually pretty good. Its best-known titles tend to be racing games, like the Dirt and F1 franchises, but it's also responsible for games like Bodycount and Operation Flashpoint. But no longer!

Codemasters announced today that it is moving to a racing-only formula, beginning with the launch of a new label, Codemasters Racing, which will serve as the home for the Dirt, GRID and F1 franchises. As for non-racing games, well, there are no more non-racing games.

"Racing is the absolute razor focus for all titles currently in development and those slated for future development across the studios in Warwickshire and Birmingham," the company said. "The focus is an exclusive one, there are no other genre properties in development at this time; racing is everything."

Codemasters is confident enough in the move to full-time racing that it's actually expanding, adding another 100 employees over the course of the year. It's also launching RaceNet, a new multi-title online community that allows people to create profiles that can be used across all RaceNet-enabled games. RaceNet will support achievements, score and time comparisons and other social functions, and is set to enter beta alongside the Dirt Showdown playable demo, which comes out on May 1.

Source: Gamasutra

Sounds like a good move, their racing games are awesome, their other games, not so much.

GRID is to me, still the best racing game i ever played. It was JUST the right balance between arcarde and simulator. althou it could of used less of those 10 minute long races near the higher tiers....multiplayer compensated for it thou.

also, good on codemasters.

if these games are great and sell well and have longevity fanbase that will support this new Racenet. I think codemasters can be successful

This sounds interesting. Codemasters consistently puts out great racing games and are a great example of the best the UK has to offer. Hopefully this means we will finally start getting news of GRID 2. The DiRT and F1 games are all good, but GRID is what I've always been interested in. I've been itching for a sequel for ages, especially since they have released 2 (soon to be 3) DiRT games and 3 F1 games since they brought out GRID!

Makes sense to me, I mean the earliest exposure I had to codemasters was colin mcrae on the PS1 I think, and to my knowledge they're still cranking out top notch racing games.

Though I'll admit I do kinda like Flashpoint, it's good fun if you can get a few friends to play it with you. But it's not like I'll miss it really, something will fill the 4 player co-operative tactical shooter gap.

Nice to see a company focus on one niche instead of spreading out to try encompass whatever's popular. Especially when they've been putting out good games in that niche since at least the 90's.

I don't know how accurate these numbers are but it doesn't look like codemasters titles are big sellers.

http://www.vgchartz.com/article/250063/top-10-in-sales-racing-games/

I hope this means the next F1 game is going to be decent for once. And most of all, modable.

Interesting. I hope they'll decide to make a racing game one of these years that meets the high standard of being technically playable.

I probably would have enjoyed my copy of Dirt 2 if only it could actually be played on the PC.

I'm pretty sure they never said they would never do anything other than racing games ever again. That's what it sounded like the article was getting at.

Anyway, I've never been a big fan of CodeMasters games in the past seeing as I generally suck at racing, (and OF:DR was absolutely dreadful).

Wow me in the near future CodeMasters, wow me.

Well, their racing games are pretty good. I'm glad they're focusing on something they want to do because they like it (I assume) rather than because it's the biggest honeypot in the market.

Well, their attempt at an FPS (Bodycount, if you didn't know) was a boring insult to the genre. I really wanted to like it, too, because Black was a blast.

So are they going to sell all of their other IPs? I doubt any of their games are worth that much but they might be worth something to someone. Even just giving them back to the original devs or selling it to them for cheap.

It's funny because I've never liked a Codemasters racing game.

Flashpoint Dragon Rising was really good, I thought. Red River... not so much.

Come on Codemasters just make GRID 2 ffs, enough with the Dirt games.

So, no more Overlord?
'cause I actually liked that series.

RatRace123:
So, no more Overlord?
'cause I actually liked that series.

Me too though I liked the second one less. God that freaking spider puzzle.

Great!, good move indeed, their racing games are simply awesome, some of the best $15 bucks I've ever spent in any game (I bought 5 of their titles in a Steam sale).

Kumagawa Misogi:
I don't know how accurate these numbers are but it doesn't look like codemasters titles are big sellers.

http://www.vgchartz.com/article/250063/top-10-in-sales-racing-games/

That would probably be because most of their titles, like the Colin McRae/DiRT and Formula 1 series largely appeal to European audiences. Because Americans (stereo)typically can't be bothered by racing if the track isn't oval or straight and/or doesn't involve generous amounts of crashing, rally and Formula 1 simply never took off in the US.

But in Europe the McRae series holds a fair bit of prestige, but of course, you don't become an all time best seller with strong sales in Europe only. But that said, popularity and quality aren't exactly the same thing. Just because no one in the US buys their games doesn't mean they're bad. It just means they don't appeal to American tastes.

CardinalPiggles:
(and OF:DR was absolutely dreadful).

Slayer_2:
Flashpoint Dragon Rising was really good, I thought. Red River... not so much.

I love how close these two posts are to each other.

As for the news, the only games from Codemasters I've played are the OF ones. I've never been a fan of racing games (occasional Mario Kart/Wipeout title as the rare exception) so...this doesn't matter much to me. No more Operation Flashpoint I suppose, but after the unbelievably obnoxious Marine 'protagonists'* they showed off in Red River...that's probably a good thing.

*I'm still not sure if they were meant to be parodies and saying "look how stupid these marines are, how over the top is this?" or if they were meant to be taken seriously as realistic representations. Either way, fuck those characters. Seriously.

And on this day, Codemasters said "Checkmate" They finally figured out they only have the talent and inspiration to make racing games and when GRID 2 appears I will be happy.

Good god I havn't played a racing title since... F-Zero? Maybe a little mario cart, but thats more a grief simulator than a racing title.

Mmmmmmmmmmm, I do love me some Dirt 2 with my G27

Great plan Codemasters, great plan.

Amnestic:
As for the news, the only games from Codemasters I've played are the OF ones. I've never been a fan of racing games (occasional Mario Kart/Wipeout title as the rare exception) so...this doesn't matter much to me. No more Operation Flashpoint I suppose, but after the unbelievably obnoxious Marine 'protagonists'* they showed off in Red River...that's probably a good thing.

*I'm still not sure if they were meant to be parodies and saying "look how stupid these marines are, how over the top is this?" or if they were meant to be taken seriously as realistic representations. Either way, fuck those characters. Seriously.

For racing games, I'm all about NFS: Shift, and more realistic titles. And I couldn't agree more about the stupid marines in Red River, in OF:DR, your dull, lifeless marine was more interesting and relatable than the annoying token black guy drill Sargent, who had nothing better to do the entire time than to tell you how shitty you and your fireteam are. As you're taking a 10-minute long drive towards a battlefield while getting strafed by mortar fire. Now, I've never been in the marines, but I think that PROBABLY isn't how it usually goes. The only good part about that sequence was the rock music they were playing during the drive.

The problem was that they tried to take ideas from Call of Duty (and they even said this themselves). That's what killed the game for me. At the point I went on a 3 kill streak with my knife, against terrorists with AK-47's, I was kind of incredulous. Anyone who played OF:DR can tell you that getting knife kills on the AI is near impossible.

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.