TV-Style Commercials Coming to Xbox Live

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

DVS BSTrD:
What's next? Ad based captchas to axcess the Xbox Live arcade?

You'll have to type "All-New Chevy Sonic" to start a game, with a controller.

Kumagawa Misogi:
Hey Microsoft I have a good idea, have games pause every 15mins for ads and so people can't walk away and do something else while it's playing only have the ad run when the A button is repeatedly pressed.

To avoid the button mashing, buy a Kinect so the camera can make sure you are present to watch the ad.

If they are adding ads, I wonder if they're planning on changing their subscription model. Of course, these ads are only for the TV/video apps, and don't seem that different from YouTube or Hulu, really (or even actual TV, which is what they are doubtlessly hoping to draw the comparison to: while you don't "pay for commercials" on Hulu, you most certainly pay cable while still being forced to watch commercials on any television station). Anyways, I wouldn't mind a few ads in online gameplay- perhaps even when you're waiting in a lobby or something- in exchange for having free online multiplayer for games. And then they could disable the ads for people who pay a subscription fee. As someone who can't afford the Gold subscription, but quite enjoyed her free trial, I would be perfectly fine with that.

People really need to stop saying "I wouldn't mind a few ads" because that is how we got HERE.

If this is only for the "free services" (YouTube and...uh...I really just use Netflix and ESPN so I don't know the other free ones) then I have no problem with this. ESPN already runs it's normal ESPN commercials and they really don't bother me.

If pay-for Apps start this up (Netflix), then we have ourselves a problem...

So not only do you have to pay to use the service you are now paying to be advertised to. Oh goodie.

Captcha: hello, world.

So Microsoft is making money on advertising on top of the money people pay for xbox live gold? Genius!

Thank christ. I was worried that I wasn't being taken advantage of enough by paying $60 a year and having to skim through ads on the dashboard anyway, but here comes Microsoft again to save the day! Hooray!

All I use is Netflix, so if that's unsullied then I'm okay. :)

I hope this means those services can either be used for free, or the subscription cost is going down.

If not, what the fuck, Microsoft?

The7Sins:
Just 1 more reason people should give up consoles and join the PC master race.

mad825:
PCs can skip Ads.

PC:3 Console: 0

I just love doing this :). I know, In all seriousness, life is going to be like this one day :/

Memory serves me right, the PSN doesn't have non-game related ads. No idea with the Wii.

I called this the moment XBL started charging for DLC years back.

/smug

But seriously, you're PAYING to see commercials! How is this a worth it anymore? You pay for cable/satellite, and now you pay a service to bring you commercials.

HO HO! Fuck those guys!

The7Sins:

+1

I have put my TV in a basement for a reason 6 years ago. I dont want to see no stupid commercials (and that does include the silly escapist commercials before the videos, at least dont make me see same commercial every time i watch a video, but oh well).
Also, spend more time in apps than online gaming. This is interesting, but not shocking, after all, i always knew there are many idiots. Notice how they dont talk about offline gaming even if eggsbox prodile does count that. its probably because there are more time spent on that.

kiri2tsubasa:

The7Sins:

mad825:
PCs can skip Ads.

I just love doing this :). I know, In all seriousness, life is going to be like this one day :/

Memory serves me right, the PSN doesn't have non-game related ads. No idea with the Wii.

Not really relevant but in-fact inevitable that they will at some point.

Nuke_em_05:
I'm not comfortable with advertisements on pay-for services. Xbox LIVE Gold is a pay-for service.

I can understand commercials on pay-for cable, since you only pay the provider for the connection, and the adverts are for each individual network.

With the apps on my Xbox 360, I'm not paying Microsoft for the connection, I'm paying my ISP. If the individual apps, such as YouTube, Zune, and Hulu have adverts, that's fine; but I don't know why I have to pay Microsoft for a LIVE subscription to use services I can otherwise access for free, or pay someone else for. Like Netflix. You can get all these "services" through a DVD or Blu-Ray player at no extra cost, but Microsoft slaps a financial gate on it.

This. This is a premium service that we pay a fair bit for (I have a Gold Family Account, so that's about £80 a year). On top of that we pay for the internet connection and some of these apps (Netflix being another £6).

If they ad-support Silver so that there's no more divide between the two halves of XBox Live then that's great. If they're just dropping ads onto only their paid subscribers (as free guys can't GET to most of these ads) then that's just asking for trouble.

Next Up: Blizzard replace instance loading screens with commercials.

So Xbox 360 owners are paying for online service and they get commercials regardless of that? Well if Microsoft wants to introduce commercials they should allow full Xbox live service for free. Is there an option to turn commercials off?

I'm afraid to imagine the horrors next generation of consoles will bring upon us.

I already pay for HBO GO and Xbox Live. If I see commercials on there... I don't even know what I'll do. If it's for free apps that we can stream for free, okay, sure. If it's on stuff I already pay for, then that fucking sucks.

kiri2tsubasa:

The7Sins:

mad825:
PCs can skip Ads.

Yeah and there recent hacking + Sony's other shenanigans prove they are worse than the Xbox even taking ads into account.

Basically PC > Xbox > Wii > older generation consoles > DS\3DS > PS3 > Sony handhelds.

Well that sucks, Well not for me it doesn't I already know how to block ad's on my xbox. it's real easy.
Ad's will never be allowed a place on my xbox, I'm here to play games dammit.

Good thing I get my XBL subscriptions for like $1 a month by just terminating it at the end of each period and activating the inevitable special deal that appears on my dashboard the next day.

Now I feel less guilty about sticking to Silver status (since I usually play Skyrim), which is surprising considering said guilt was thought to be non-existent after they raised the price of XBL Gold just a few months ago.

The7Sins:

Funny enough, the last game I played online on the 360 (besides the ME3:Multiplayer demo) was Modern Warfare 3. After it's online enjoyment died down for me, I began to stick around to playing more games on the PC (like Minecraft). Then I decided to try some of the play-for-free games (LoL, Tribes:Ascend, Airmech, KaG, etc.) and now I have so many PC games that I rarely use my 360 anymore (other than Skyrim). I always thought I would be playing more games on my 360 over time since my computer's graphical power is average at best. But a lot of those P4F games run very good on my PC. =D

The next one I am waiting for is FireFall!

Sorry, double post-

Erm... ..they aren't going to be putting these into the BBC iPlayer app right?

Because that would be a violation of their agreement with the Beeb - who isn't allowed to have advertising with their programs.

When your advertising revenue has already gone up 142%, that means that you don't have to start including ads in your services, not that you should just start trying to make more money.

lol, PS3 gaming.
But honestly, that's horrible. I'm so glad I stopped using XBL. Having to pay to play AND see ads is just sickening.

As long as they don't put it into netflix or interrupt my game for one of these ads, I don't suppose I care.

I don't ever use Hulu or Epix or ESPN so I'm good. ^_^

But it gets in the way of my games...I'm going to have to get pissed. I wouldn't want to, but I'd have to...cause that's just wrong.

Ya'll can laugh, but it's only a matter that others see this and want to have a piece of that cake too. If this is successful, and manages to take flight, rest assured other platforms will adopt it as well, yes even PC.

UNLESS, gamers wise up on this one and xbox loses a significant market share due to it. But we all know that's not gonna happen, rabid addict gamers ftl

Terminate421:
Can we have the option of watching 90's commercials?

Seconded.

Well, unless they're retromercials or you get free credits per witnessed commercial, I'm against it.

This is pretty stupid. It'd be one thing if this was something silver members had to deal with while gaining the ability to use the services. That seems a bit more fair in my opinion, as it means they're basically paying for the services with ads. But only gold member who have to pay already are forced to sit through ads. That's just complete BS in my opinion. So we have to pay for to use a service, and then watch ads to make them more money?

Well, my gold renewal is coming up. I don't think I'm going to this time.

Wakikifudge:

darthzew:
Here comes a fun thread.

I don't have a big a problem with this. I mean, sure, it's a little inconvenient, but it sounds just like Hulu or Youtube. It doesn't feel like something worth complaining about

Agreed. It's a very small amount of wasted time.

You seem to be forgetting something... complaining about things in any way related to consoles is pretty much the directive of forumgoers here.

I occasionally jump on youtube or crackle on XBL and an ad here or there is not too much to concern myself with, after all occasionally they link you to something quite interesting, in fact one came up for the new hitman game when I was browsing videos in the gaming section of the youtube app and I selected it and it was actually really good.

I pay the premium for xbox live for the gaming service, if the free apps that are simply there as a convenience require some investment of time on my part that is hardly something I have the right to complain about, and I would be kinda embarrassed with myself if I did.

If they plonk adverts on the free apps then I don't really care. If they start pushing TV style adverts on subscription based services, well, shits going to get messy.

This doesn't seem like a massive problem. I mean, how else are free entertainment aps (that don't belong to the BBC and therefore are funded by the "we were here first" tax) supposed to make money? Most of these things ain't owned by microsoft, so it ain't coming out of the subscriptions.

Nice black mirror reference, by the way. The annoying haribo ad comes on and you're all out of credits. THE HORROR!

darthzew:
Here comes a fun thread.

I don't have a big a problem with this. I mean, sure, it's a little inconvenient, but it sounds just like Hulu or Youtube. It doesn't feel like something worth complaining about

Except that YouTube's free, Xbox Live Gold isn't.

Just another way that 30 second periods of my life are being wasted >.>
Oh well. I usually play my 3DS or catch up on forums during commercials on youtube or other stuff.

DVS BSTrD:
What's next? Ad based captchas to axcess the Xbox Live arcade?

that's Octobers update

OT:
>.> i have nothing really to add but 'sucks for you guys, i don't have an Xbox so not my problem'

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.