Google "Zerg Rush" and Prepare for Browser Attack

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Google "Zerg Rush" and Prepare for Browser Attack

The programmers at Google offer a little homage to Blizzard's strategy title.

Google famously allows its workers to spend one fifth of the work week furthering whatever project sparks their interest. Quintessential Google features like the Transit directions in Maps, or cultural documentation like the Google Art Project all started through work using this "extra" time. I can only imagine that the latest Easter Egg found in Google's search engine came from a 20% project, but this time it's a nod to a little game from Blizzard called StarCraft.

Here's how you find it: Go to Google. Type "zerg rush" into the search and hit enter. Watch as the "zerg Os" rush to your search results and start attacking. Health bars go down until the result items are destroyed, that is, unless you start clicking on the zerg Os to fend them off.

If you're lazy, you can follow this link.

There's even a scoring mechanism that tracks APMs (actions per minute) and how many zergs you kill before the page is blank. Given the endless rush of zerg Os, there's no way to avoid a GG, but you can fight the good fight nontheless.

The whole thing just seems like a nod to Blizzard's Starcraft where the rush of tiny bugs is a staple strategy for the insectoid race of Zergs. But then you notice the built-in way to post your score to Google+, and the subtle integration might be a ploy to draw mroe traffic to Google's struggling social network.

Ah, who cares? It's still fun. Can you beat my high score of 54 zerglings with 176 APM?

Greg Tito:

There's even a scoring mechanism that tracks APMs (attacks per minute) and how many zergs you kill before the page is blank. Given the endless rush of zerg Os, there's no way to avoid a GG, but you can fight the good fight nontheless.

Isn't is suppose to be "Actions Per Minute" for APM?

OT: Well there goes my Friday afternoon productivity at work, thanks Google!

Dam I would have lasted longer but I didn't realize they came from all sides at once.
I need to play some more StarCraft

Seraj:
Draw mroe attention?

you guys should use chrome as your browser, then you wouldn't have this problem.

OT: Quite fun actually, I got ambushed, I was busy killing the ones from above only to find out they eat up too D:

Edit: Decrease the page zoom to 50% cuts down on navigation time, them's sneaky little bastards

Not working for me. Something with my work firewall or down already?

If you type "do a barrel roll" into google, you'll get another interesting little thing they put in it...

the Os too many Os. they came, and they devoured us all. we fought valiantly but there were just to many of them.

I never thought I'd have to put my mouse into "Game Mode" on Google :) Loads of fun.

193APM and 60 kills

APM is actions per minute
and i didn't really try, i kill enough zerglings as it is.

I'm kind of displeased that my browser had not set up a proper perimeter of jacked-up Space Marines in bunkers.

Draw mroe attention?

you guys should use chrome as your browser, then you wouldn't have this problem.

OT: Quite fun actually, I got ambushed, I was busy killing the ones from above only to find out they eat up too D:

190, 56 on my first go

I didn't realise you had to scroll :( but I was helped by it lagging out a bit

hehe, cute little Easter egg there

215, 79 on my first run. Neat little game.

APM: 190; Count: 64

That was with having to scroll up and down too since I didn't think of zooming out.

So awesome.

Greg Tito:

Ah, who cares? It's still fun. Can you beat my high score of 54 zerglings with 176 APM?

68 killed. 179 APM
I beat you :3

226 69

After I read you had to scroll.

I got an APM of 253 and I killed 85 zerg O's. That was a fun little easter egg.

Didnt work for me, none of the google ones seem to.
*sadface is sad*

249 APM with 94 of them dead, but it was not enough.

118 with 281 apm. This is what it feels like playing PvZ as well..It just never ends -.-

231 APM with 80 dead. I had to scrolls up and down so much, and they got me on my blindside. Damnable little letters, never giving up the fight.

Edit - 82 killed, 242 APM this time.

This is why Google is awesome. I'd post my score, but it's embarrassing. We'll leave it at that.
Oh ARGs how I love you!

Haha, that was freakin' swell! Brought back fond memories of Starcraft.

Too many O's though; my wrist hurts.

Huh. I wondered why my own thread stopped getting new posts. That explains that, I suppose.

Anyway, I'm a bit upset that Google did this on a day I'm supposed to be getting work done. Of course, that applies to most days lately...

I got 286 actions per minute with 86 kills. Hmmmm, dunno what that averages out to... bah! Do not care.

58/195. Tough little bastards aren't they?

209 APM 60 kills

202 apm / 85 kills first go.

Now, if only they added in experience points and upgrades, this'd give most tower defense flash games a good run for their money.

57 Zerg, 182 Apm

HA! Nice try Tito.

253 apm, 105 zerglings.

215 APM and 55 Zergs at 100% zoom

235 APM and 75 Zergs at 50% zoom and full screen.

It's a really cool easter egg. It's things like this that make Google my favourite company ever.

If you're lazy you should follow this link:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=zerg+rush

136 kills! but only 208 APM

203 and 78 respectively.

237 AMP and 87 Zerg

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password: