Journey Dev Seeks Publisher For Fun Times

Journey Dev Seeks Publisher For Fun Times

Applicants must be gentle, loving and enjoy long strolls through the desert.

Good news for those of you who didn't get to play Flower, Flow, and Journey because you don't own a PS3. No, those three games aren't being ported, unfortunately. But now that developer, Thatgamestudio's, three-game deal with Sony is over, the developer is now free to create games for other platforms.

"It takes us a little bit of time to basically readjust after the three game deal. We're very close in figuring out what the next deal is," founder, Jenova Chen, told VG247. "We're negotiating with various partners, so maybe within the next month, we'll be able to determine which is the [right deal]."

"In terms of when you'll know about the next game, I think we intentionally announce our games very early," he continued. "We announced Flower half a year after we launched Flow. We announced Journey half a year after we launched Flower. So hopefully within this year, you'll hear from us about our next game."

Despite the PSN exclusivity, Chen says the deal he made with Sony was great for the company, and that without it Journey might never have been made.

"If it wasn't for Sony's deal, I don't think we'd be ever to get into a situation to make a game like Journey because Journey is so far the largest budget for a PSN game and there is some money spent on marketing for Journey and I think that's the first time in history," he said.

"If it weren't for the three-game deal, we would not have the luxury to be able to build this game. It's much larger and a more expensive game and it took us three years to make. Internally, we're calling Journey the AAA PSN game."

Thatgamecompany is set to announce a new game this year.

Can the game they announce be Journey for PC?

So, basically, they're going to EA and Activision, and asking them to be as open to experimentation and risk on games, as well as on creative freedom for developers, as Sony were.

Yeah, harsh dose of reality coming in 5, 4, 3....

Azuaron:

Hi, person who doesn't understand how rights work.

Foolproof:
So, basically, they're going to EA and Activision, and asking them to be as open to experimentation and risk on games, as well as on creative freedom for developers, as Sony were.

Ironically EA are pretty cool with their "Indie" Devs, so are Ubisoft. Activision, not so much.

Oh Thatgamecompany...

You had me for life as soon as I started Journey...

Foolproof:

Azuaron:

Hi, person who doesn't understand how rights work.

Hi, person who reads way more into a single sentence than they should.

I know exactly how rights work.

I also know how programming works, and the massive undertaking it would be (especially for an indie dev) to port a game like Journey from the PS3 to the PC, which would actually be a much bigger issue than getting Sony to loosen their grip on the rights.

I know how creative people work, and how they don't want to be doing busy work like porting a game when they could be making a new one.

And I know how business people work, and how they would say it would be unprofitable to port such a title from the PSN to PC.

I know many things that relate to all the reasons why I will never get to play Journey on my PC.

I just don't care.

I'm hoping the get someone who gives them a fair chance and lets them make a game as magical as I heard Journey is. Non-PS3 people should get a chance to have magical multiplayer moments too!

Grey Carter:

Foolproof:

Ironically EA are pretty cool with their "Indie" Devs, so are Ubisoft. Activision, not so much.

Not to anywhere close to the degree Sony are. You cannot honestly say that EA would be happy pouring close to $5 million into a game where you float around a desert with other people you can't communicate with.

Foolproof:
You cannot honestly say that EA would be happy pouring close to $5 million into a game where you float around a desert with other people you can't communicate with.

I don't think many other publishers would have done the original three-game deal, that was surely much more about the PSN brand than it was about directly selling Flow, Flower and Jourmey. But Thatgamecompany knocked them so far out of the park, I can't imagine their next publisher will mess with the formula. They've bought themselves the right to be different.

well in the interest of creative freedom perhaps they should do a kickstarter program

I'm sure "the developer that made Journey" would get the funds they need.

Either that or they could hit up Paradox Interactive, they seem to do a lot of work with indie devs.

Whatever they're doing now, it better be good enough to justify locking Journey in with one system :P

also i would like to put EA's track record of destroying studios on the stand for the convenience of the court

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here