EA Blames Casuals For Falling Old Republic Subscriber Numbers

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

What exactly do you extrapolate the word "filthy" from? And where did you get the "blaming" part? Escapist "journalism" at it's finest, making fun of others not doing their job right while they don't even grasp the definition of your own.

And he's right (imo) about the appeal of Star Wars versus other fantasy settings, it's just that it's not enough to retain them a userbase thanks to the way the game is designed. The reason casuals don't stick around is because there's nothing to do in the game but raid or PvP once you get to max level, so that's no surprise really.

So those people- the ones that power whats left of you last attempt grab at any cash before you wipe out your developers and sell out to another company- are filthy now?

Good job EA, keep it up.

gmaverick019:

Andronicus:

Freechoice:

Why the fuck do you wanna misspell it?

We could ask the same about Americans

the whole damn english language is adaptations and misspellings from other languages... way to turn this into a nationality issue.

although, to be quaint, this is an american based website, if you really wanna nitpick, it's gonna be honor.

(although the prick you quoted probably didn't realize most words are spelled different across seas, rather than all english being the same.)

What? I thought the escapist was australian!

Grey Carter:
EA Blames Filthy Casuals For Falling Old Republic Subscriber Numbers

Really, Greg? Really?

Come on. I know the Escapist has been diving head first into shock titles to get readers into the news articles lately, but that's just blatantly unprofessional. The really stupid straw that broke this camels back, mayhaps.

Vrach:
What exactly do you extrapolate the word "filthy" from? And where did you get the "blaming" part? Escapist "journalism" at it's finest, making fun of others not doing their job right while they don't even grasp the definition of your own.

And he's right (imo) about the appeal of Star Wars versus other fantasy settings, it's just that it's not enough to retain them a userbase thanks to the way the game is designed. The reason casuals don't stick around is because there's nothing to do in the game but raid or PvP once you get to max level, so that's no surprise really.

It's been getting worse and worse lately, the Escapist's attempts at journalism. You are right, too; they continually post inane articles and "news" that's little more than people bashing. A recent report consisted of the author going out of their way to repeatedly mock someone for their grammar, even.

It's just childish now.

Right and the loss has nothing to do with huge imbalance, bugs, lack of updates and the fact you have to pay monthly for it :P

Grey Day for Elcia:

Grey Carter:

Really, Greg? Really?

Come on. I know the Escapist has been diving head first into shock titles to get readers into the news articles lately, but that's just blatantly unprofessional. The really stupid straw that broke this camels back, mayhaps.

Grey Day for Elcia:

Grey Carter:

Really, Greg? Really?

Yeah, Greg. Really?

Grey Carter:

EA shogun, John Riccitiello popped up to add that while The Old Republic is counted amongst EA's top ten earning franchises, it's not in the top five.

"So it's a business contributor, while important, is not as important as Medal of Honor or Battlefield or FIFA or Madden or The Sims or SimCity," he said, "but it's more important than Tiger Woods PGA Golf."

What an excellent quote. They should put that on the back of the box.

*wipes eyes after physically crying with laughter*

Mr. Riccitiello, when will you ever see this industry as something other than a way to make money?

The impression I'm getting from EA these days can be made into a metaphor: They're like someone inviting you out to go fishing, but forget to mention the fish they're trying to catch is called "Wallet" and "money" - but don't worry, it's fishing! We're all gonna' have fun anyway!

Grey Day for Elcia:

Grey Carter:

Really, Greg? Really?

Wait wait. This was the straw that broke the camels back and not the one where Carter called someone a homophobe in another article with absolutely no proof that it was true? This then lead to so many people comin into the article with lines like "At first I felt bad for him, but then I read he was a homophobe and think he deserved it."

You have weird standards for what is too much.

shintakie10:

Grey Day for Elcia:

Grey Carter:
snip

Really, Greg? Really?

Wait wait. This was the straw that broke the camels back and not the one where Carter called someone a homophobe in another article with absolutely no proof that it was true? This then lead to so many people comin into the article with lines like "At first I felt bad for him, but then I read he was a homophobe and think he deserved it."

Well that's what's great about this site - it's community-friendly. If it was all suits-and-ties professionalism it wouldn't be about gaming. We're a savage lot. Also, shock title? The title's not far off the mark.

The same thing goes on over at Destructoid, Kotaku etc. etc. but then again they also get community members whining about the "unprofessional" attitude in articles.

Also, the witty humour is a great addition to the news that our industry is self-destructing.

Yeah, Greg, yeah - your witty humour in this article... Greg Carter, you hybrid of two columnists - what have you done with the original Greg and Grey?

Halvhir:

I guess there I'd take issue with calling anyone who throws down the money to play World of Warcraft a "non-gamer", aside from the extreme example of people who have never owned a console or installed a game on their PC trying it out for the first time. By the time they've played a month or three, if they've put any time into it at all they already qualify for the gamer tag in my book. A matter of personal definitions, I suppose.

That's true. I don't buy into that "you're not a gamer" thing. Perhaps "non-traditional gamers" would be better, but Warcraft draws in people who literally have no gaming experience, or very limited gaming experience. And there's a lot of people like that.

I'm still not sure that WoW has anything innately more appealing than the other MMOs on the market that aren't attributed to it's long history or sheer numbers of players....

....So... I guess I'm asking where you think that ability lies. Because I'd argue it's not inherent in the questing, combat, storyline or initial fanbase. You play WoW because your friends play WoW, WoW lets you play with your friends, and WoW keeps expanding and improving enough to still be fun to play.

If I knew exactly what WoW did "right" that allowed it to pull in so many users, I'd be making games myself. Some of WoW's popularity is down to momentum yes, but it needed something special to start that momentum in the first place. I don't think that "x" factor that turns a game from a product to a social phenomenon is something you can quantify and repeat. I mean, Angry Birds is a pretty good well-designed physics puzzler, but I couldn't explain it, of all the games in that genre, was the one to go nova.

As I pointed out in another thread, I think the casual players are the ones actually playing... It's the hardcore players that make lvl 50 in a week and fast run through all the content in a month. They are the ones leaving because there is virtually no end content. Leveling a character is LOADS of fun. Once you have done that there are operations, getting gear, flashpoints and pvp. You can do those in a matter of days.

And yea each class has a different story. But each planet has its own story. And its the same for all imp classes. Same for the republic. And to level you have to do them as well. So basically, after two imp characters and 2 rep characters you are bored of the story leveling.

Casual players are the way to go swtor. EA is getting his shit backwards!

edit: they had to give accounts with a level 50 character a free month to play so they would try out the legacy system and lvl 50 pvp wouldn't be a wasteland. Yea, it's the casuals who take 2-3 months to become level 50 that are leaving... Idiots

Bvenged:

shintakie10:

Grey Day for Elcia:
Really, Greg? Really?

Well that's what's great about this site - it's community-friendly. If it was all suits-and-ties professionalism it wouldn't be about gaming. We're a savage lot. Also, shock title? The title's not far off the mark.

The same thing goes on over at Destructoid, Kotaku etc. etc. but then again they also get community members whining about the "unprofessional" attitude in articles.

Also, the witty humour is a great addition to the news that our industry is self-destructing.

Yeah, Greg, yeah - your witty humour in this article... Greg Carter, you hybrid of two columnists - what have you done with the original Greg and Grey?

Im fine with the witty humor. Generally it adds somethin to what would normally just be a depressin article. What I take issue with is when they outright make shit up. The homophobe line was a good example. This one? Meh. Would I like it better if it wasn't that, sure, but I wont lose sleep over it.

shintakie10:

Grey Day for Elcia:

Grey Carter:

Really, Greg? Really?

Woah, woah, what? could you possibly link that to me if you remember which article it was? I don't believe I read that.

Grey Carter:

Grey Day for Elcia:

Grey Carter:

Really, Greg? Really?

Grey Day for Elcia:

Grey Carter:

Really, Greg? Really?

Yeah, Greg. Really?

Oh yes, please do point out a misspelling and offer nothing of substance. The line back there--you see it? That's the line between edgy and childish.

Grey Day for Elcia:
-snip-

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/117103-Best-Buy-Employee-Outs-Straight-Guy

Apparently it was edited since the last time I read it. You can still find the line in the comments where it was quoted though.

That sounds wrong... I'm as casual as you get, and I still have like six class stories to go; while all my more "serious" friends have cancelled their subs because there wasn't anything to do for them, I'm still happily prancing about exploring...

shintakie10:

Grey Day for Elcia:
-snip-

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/117103-Best-Buy-Employee-Outs-Straight-Guy

Apparently it was edited since the last time I read it. You can still find the line in the comments where it was quoted though.

Oh, yeah. That one. It's all coming back to me now.

I honestly believe it's a case of the guys up stairs watching the income have given the orders to just make as many inflammatory and outrages remarks as possible in articles to get page views. Remember how much money trouble Escapist was having-not even paying their artists and such?

Grey Day for Elcia:

shintakie10:

Grey Day for Elcia:
-snip-

Oh, yeah. That one. It's all coming back to me now.

I honestly believe it's a case of the guys up stairs watching the income have given the orders to just make as many inflammatory and outrages remarks as possible in articles to get page views. Remember how much money trouble Escapist was having-not even paying their artists and such?

Actually it was a poorly constructed sentence on my part that my editor called me out on, so I changed it. But I would say that, I'm part of the system.

Grey Day for Elcia:

shintakie10:

Grey Day for Elcia:
Really, Greg? Really?

Woah, woah, what? could you possibly link that to me if you remember which article it was? I don't believe I read that.

Grey Carter:

Grey Day for Elcia:
Really, Greg? Really?

Grey Day for Elcia:
Really, Greg? Really?

Yeah, Greg. Really?

Oh yes, please do point out a misspelling and offer nothing of substance. The line back there--you see it? That's the line between edgy and childish.

Dude I'm as angry as you are. Greg really crossed the line this time. The line between edgy and childish, like you said.

Grey Carter:
If I knew exactly what WoW did "right" that allowed it to pull in so many users, I'd be making games myself. Some of WoW's popularity is down to momentum yes, but it needed something special to start that momentum in the first place. I don't think that "x" factor that turns a game from a product to a social phenomenon is something you can quantify and repeat. I mean, Angry Birds is a pretty good well-designed physics puzzler, but I couldn't explain it, of all the games in that genre, was the one to go nova.

For Angry Birds i would say in order of importance:

- Luck
- Character design
- Good implementation of the gameplay

They did nothing new, but it was a well executed game that got very lucky and was targeted at the right market at the right time.

And yeah, WoW did a bunch of things right, go play Everquest, Asheron's Call or DaoC, all of them were big way before warcraft so inertia is not the right answer. I know it sounds vage, but i think it's doing all the baiscs good from start and trying to polish them as much as they could, from the casting animations to the implementation of their Global Cooldown, just compare the level desing for places like the (old) barrens to tatoine. I dislike most of Blizz politics, and i will never play WoW again, but as a mmo? It's the pinnacle of a decade to say the least.

Also:

Grey Carter:
Dude I'm as angry as you are. Greg really crossed the line this time. The line between edgy and childish, like you said.

Bloke, stop feeding trolls and QQers and go to sleep!

How can they tell that they're "casual"... sounds like they're just making excuses to keep their investors happy

"No, no it's still good, all those people who left were going to leave anyway. These ones that are left, they're around for good... don't worry we'll be able to afford the golden pirate ship soon."

Grey Carter:
"And as the service evolves from here, what we're seeing is that some of the initial casual customers have gone through a billing cycle and decided not to subscribe to the game."

From the sound of it, I don't think this was a dig at "casual gamers." I think he literally meant casual. People who weren't into this game directly, or in any personal way, but were just kind of "seeing what all the fuss was about." The MMO equivalent of walk-by traffic and window shoppers.

We might be finding offense where there is none.

Grey Carter:
The Old Republic... is not as important as... SimCity," he said

Wait, what?

Grey Carter:
"And so building from a base that we're at right now, we feel very confident that this business is going to continue to stay competitive throughout the remainder of the year."

Building? These guys have to realise that there is no building to be done here. Once MMO numbers start falling they do NOT rise again. They're at 1.3m now, but by the end of this year they'll be lucky to be at 500K.

blackdwarf:
people stopped because it was feeling like a sp experience. and after that, people were done with it like most sp games. it was a fun game, but there was not enough to do to keep it playing.

This.

They're losing people because the game is built so much as a single player game that people are finishing the game and moving on. Did they really think they were going to convert their core fanbase of Bioware RPG fans into endgame raiders? Once the story is done these people are leaving.

"So it's a business contributor, while important, is not as important as Medal of Honor or Battlefield or FIFA or Madden or The Sims or SimCity," he said, "but it's more important than Tiger Woods PGA Golf."

This is perhaps the most hilarious thing I've ever read about SWtOR. Talk about damning with faint praise.

With emphasis on single-player storylines, ability to play solo throughout the whole game, reduced group sizes, encouragement to play alts, arcade mini-game, linear gear progression and simplified class diversity TOR looks pretty much focused on casual appeal.

And yet EA states that the casuals were not their target group...

So what is there for (hard)core players?

Grey Carter:

Grey Day for Elcia:

shintakie10:

Grey Carter:

Yeah, Greg. Really?

I's funny, because your behaviour would see a user warned. You've gone out of your way to intentionally avoid the point and have resorted to passive aggressive trolling. Nice to see the standards are so very high for professional conduct around here. Then again, I wouldn't expect someone who refuses to engage in any form of intelligent discourse once they've been criticized to be anything of a well worded journalist.

A shining beacon for Themis Media. I'll have to pass on my praise.

Grey Day for Elcia:

Grey Carter:

Grey Day for Elcia:

I's funny, because your behaviour would see a user warned. You've gone out of your way to intentionally avoid the point and have resorted to passive aggressive trolling. Nice to see the standards are so very high for professional conduct around here. Then again, I wouldn't expect someone who refuses to engage in any form of intelligent discourse once they've been criticized to be anything of a well worded journalist.

A shining beacon for Themis Media. I'll have to pass on my praise.

Make sure you address it to Greg.

They're not the Star Wars fantasy. It's not the big expansive universe that appeals to so many people worldwide.

Big expansive universe? Not really, that would be EVE.
EA/BioWare made a planet surface simulator with map to serve as space travel.

Still, you have to admit it ... Their freaking PR machine is unstoppable in sheep shearing. However, BioWare is doomed in my opinion. EA will demand heads at BioWare at minimum.

Zhukov:

Freechoice:

Zhukov:
Medal of Honor made money?

Must... not... add... "u"... to... "honor"

Not sure if joking or oblivious.

Either way, it's brilliant work.

Tanakh:

Grey Carter:

For Angry Birds i would say in order of importance:

- Luck
- Character design
- Good implementation of the gameplay

They did nothing new, but it was a well executed game that got very lucky and was targeted at the right market at the right time.

And yeah, WoW did a bunch of things right, go play Everquest, Asheron's Call or DaoC, all of them were big way before warcraft so inertia is not the right answer. I know it sounds vage, but i think it's doing all the baiscs good from start and trying to polish them as much as they could, from the casting animations to the implementation of their Global Cooldown, just compare the level desing for places like the (old) barrens to tatoine. I dislike most of Blizz politics, and i will never play WoW again, but as a mmo? It's the pinnacle of a decade to say the least.

That honestly can't be it for WoW because I was there when Wow first launched. It was awful. Game mechanics were poorly explained. Stats made absolutely no sense. Quest progression was a clusterfuck to say the least. There was no end game. There were very few dungeons and the dungeons they did have were complete messes. It took them over a year to get their shit together enough to actual make decent content and it took till the first expansion to get game mechanics to make sense.

Really I'd say the biggest point towards WoW was the Warcraft and Blizzard names. People that didn't care to know had no idea what Everquest was, or DAoC, or any of the first MMO's. However they did know what Warcraft was and they had played Blizzard games before so they gave it a shot.

Seriously even though WoW had its flaws, it was still fun. In addition the concept was new to many players. Hell I even went to Scholomance 30-40 times to get my T0 helmet. But that concept doesn't work anymore like it did with WoW classic.

In addition, you don't even need to go that often into a FP to get an item. Within 1-2 weeks can be fully geared in SWTOR (even in PVP)

Oh and btw. I think the dungeons in WoW worked pretty well at EU release - Strat, Scholo, BRD, BRS were alright as dungeons, Dire Maul was even better (Patch 1.2).

shintakie10:
Really I'd say the biggest point towards WoW was the Warcraft and Blizzard names. People that didn't care to know had no idea what Everquest was, or DAoC, or any of the first MMO's. However they did know what Warcraft was and they had played Blizzard games before so they gave it a shot.

Fun trivia: Lieage II got to 2 mill in 2 years, WoW West took the same ammount of time. Hell, Lineage II and EQ II grew faster than WoW the first year.

And yeah, WoW launch was chaotic in performance and without endgame that's why i didn't mentioned those in my post as strenghts, for the rest i disagree.

nodlimax:
But that concept doesn't work anymore like it did with WoW classic.

I am not sure of that, maybe the merciless grind of WoW vanilla and EQ won't retunr; but if arenanet keeps some of the long therm grinding of GW 1 you won't run out of content in a couple of weeks, at least i hope they do because that was one of my problems with ToR too.

gmaverick019:

Andronicus:

Freechoice:

We could ask the same about Americans

the whole damn english language is adaptations and misspellings from other languages... way to turn this into a nationality issue.

although, to be quaint, this is an american based website, if you really wanna nitpick, it's gonna be honor.

(although the prick you quoted probably didn't realize most words are spelled different across seas, rather than all english being the same.)

Actually, if you want to nitpick, it's honor and not [i]honour[/b] because its the name of the game. An American game.

Oh... and I'm from Canada where we would normally spell it with the u.

I wouldn't mind them doing what STO did. Make the Free 2 Play, but keep the monthly fee for those of us who want the "full experience"

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here