Joss Whedon Thanks Fans After Avengers' Success

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Joss Whedon Thanks Fans After Avengers' Success

The maker of Firefly and Buffy finally hit it big.

Joss Whedon has been a staple among cult-favorite television for the last decade or so. He wrote and produced Buffy the Vampire Slayer, garnering him a legion of fans despite his tendency to over-write scenes. After seven seasons of Buffy and a spinoff, he entered what many refer to as his "dark period" in which every project turned to dust. There was the great Firefly, which was cancelled before its time, and the botching of Whedon's Alien Resurrection script. Dollhouse (2009) never took off and it seemed Whedon was relegated to producing his own web videos, the greatness of Dr. Horrible notwithstanding. Then he landed a big tentpole movie deal to write and direct Marvel's The Avengers, and we all know how that turned out this weekend.

Today, Whedon posted a letter thanking his fans for their support throughout his entire career and he promises the success won't change him ... much.

"People have told me that this matters, that my life is about to change. I am sure that is true. And change is good - change is exciting. I think - not to jinx it - that I may finally be recognized at Comiccon. Imagine!" Whedon wrote on the fansite Whedonesque.

"What doesn't change is anything that matters. What doesn't change is that I've had the smartest, most loyal, most passionate, most articulate group of - I'm not even gonna say fans. I'm going with "peeps" - that any cult oddity such as my bad self could have dreamt of," he continued. "When almost no one was watching, when people probably should have stopped watching, I've had three constants: my family and friends, my collaborators (often the same), and y'all."

Whedon takes the logical next step to express his gratitude. "So this is me, saying thank you. All of you. You've taken as much guff for loving my work as I have for over-writing it, and you deserve, in this our time of streaming into the main, to crow. To glow. To crow and go 'I told you so', to those Joe Blows not in the know," he said before quipping, "Last time I hire Dr. Seuss to punch my posts up. Yeesh!"

For all of you Browncoats and Whedonites, it certainly feels awesome to see one of our own wear the green Benjamin Franklin-bedecked laurels of a smashing box office bonanza on his orange-colored mantle. Thank you, Mr. Whedon, for fighting through it all to make a great film and secure your place among the top film directors of the land.

Now get your other projects (Much Ado, Dr. Horrible 2) in the can and get cracking on Avengers 2.

Source: Whedonesque

(Image)

He's not wrong about getting flack for being a Whedon fan. So many people don't understand how I can love Dollhouse or Buffy, now I can point them to Avengers and go, "There!"

I do love how Joss still hasn't figured out how to make drama without random deaths. Random deaths are his "You must feel sad now!" pathos button.

I'm wondering how much he actually got out of this, now that you're mentioning Benjamins.

JaredXE:
He's not wrong about getting flack for being a Whedon fan. So many people don't understand how I can love Dollhouse or Buffy, now I can point them to Avengers and go, "There!"

I do love how Joss still hasn't figured out how to make drama without random deaths. Random deaths are his "You must feel sad now!" pathos button.

Which random deaths would this be in the movie? (Not trying to be an ass, asking a serious question here).

Walsh, consider yourself Avenged

No no Joss, thank you. :D

jurnag12:
Which random deaths would this be in the movie?

I like that about Joss (deaths). After growing up with hordes of shows of battle after battle in which nobody ever dies, the occassional war casualty seems far more realistic. (I also like reading Glen Cook books, so Joss is kind of low on the casualty count by my standards.)

jurnag12:

JaredXE:

Which random deaths would this be in the movie? (Not trying to be an ass, asking a serious question here).

Andy of Comix Inc:

jurnag12:

JaredXE:

Isn't it heavily hinted that he isn't dead? The cards Fury showed to the team actually came from his locker, and when questioned about that he notes that they needed something to motivate them.

No... Thank you Mr. Whedon, thank you for everything you have done. =)

I guess I'll thank you for the Avengers if I ever do go and see it, but I strictly cant say thanks for unleashing Buffy on the world. Especially after season 3, so many nights spent bored when I just wanted to fuck about instead.

jurnag12:

Andy of Comix Inc:

jurnag12:

Isn't it heavily hinted that he isn't dead? The cards Fury showed to the team actually came from his locker, and when questioned about that he notes that they needed something to motivate them.

JaredXE:

Whedon deaths aren't random. He understands that people only get upset when people they care about die.

Also, I don't believe for a second that [REDACTED] is actually dead. Especially if Marvel Studios are really going to embrace the zany extremes of the comics, where the only people who've ever stayed dead are Uncle Ben, Gwen Stacey and the Punisher's family.

Props to Joss on his big win and good luck to his next project. Anything directed by him is worth waiting for.

Well, as a peep, thank you back!
I'm so excited that he's finally got some pull in the industry, hopefully he'll use that for an original IP. As much as I would love more Firefly, who are we kidding?

James Cameron thanks himself for his success.
Joss Whedon thanks his friends, family, and fans.

Love you too, Joss.

Heh, not a problem Joss, not a problem at all. All I can ask now is one thing. What's next.

It feels good to have a really successful film by a writer/director who was previously under-appreciated in mainstream media. Between Avengers and Cabin in the Woods, I think joss will find no problem finding work from now on. I, personally, can't wait to see what he does next.

I thought the whole Alien: Resurrection fiasco happened before Buffy. Or at the very least before the Buffy TV-series.

On topic: I'm kind of glad the guy finally got some major success (Toy Story doesn't count!) outside of his usual fanbase, he kind of deserves it :D

You know, I really should check out Buffy and Firefly.

Don't thank us, GO MAKE AVENGERS 2! HURRY! WE WANT TO SEE T&^%&s In the next movie!~ DON'T LEFT US HANGING!~

This is one of the reasons I love this guy. He is a classy dude. Between making Dr. Horrible on a shoestring budget and releasing it for free just to prove a point and this you can tell he actually cares about his fans.

I think he reined in a lot of his bad habits and wrote a fabulous piece with The Avengers.

So does this mean after the Avengers rakes in a few hojillion dollars, he can then buy the rights to the Firefly/Serenity universe off of Fox & make MORE?!?!?!?

whoops double post

Thank you Joss Whedon for Avengers. Thank you for pulling off 4 years of anticipation, and thank you so much for Avengers once again. That was the happiest I have ever been upon leaving a cinema, and only Dark Knight Rises or Avengers 2 can give me that same feeling.

So Mr Whedon, carry on spreading joy like a film-making Santa Claus. I salute you, good sir.

For Joss Whedon, I would be a marshmallow covered in sugar.

Nice to see he did reign it in a little for the Avengers, however. I was honestly scared there would be a nonsequitur, unnecessary Nathan Fillion showing up just to put him in for fanning about.

JaredXE:

Better that than there being no pathos, if that's the option. Though, why he has to do it with the infinitely loved characters, rather than the loved-but-not-as-much ones, I'll never understand. Because that hurts more, I assume, and makes us connect more with the characters, but that makes it no less upsetting.

You're welcome! And thank you for all the hard work you've done! I really appreciate it!

You are welcome, Mr. Whedon. Keep it up man

Joss Whedon? Wasn't he that kid from Star Trek?

Imkiddingpleasedontkillme

You're welcome, but we should be thanking you for making that movie.

BehattedWanderer:
I was honestly scared there would be a nonsequitur, unnecessary Nathan Fillion showing up just to put him in for fanning about.

Thor: My hammer is Mjolnir, it spits lightning.
Captain Hammer: My hammer is my...

You know... thinking back on it... I wonder if wheton had any hand is laying the groundwork for Twilight. Not as much as Anne Rice, for sure... but Buffy had it's fair share of terrible Vampire moments that could be seen a the predecessor to Twilight.

That being said... man did I hate most of Wheton's work.

Firefly was awesome though.

Andronicus:

I'd like to throw out my "Thanks" to Mr. Whedon for making one of the best damn movies in a real long time, and probably the best superhero movie I've ever had the pleasure of enjoying.

Also... thanks for fixing the Hulk.

I fokin loved Dollhouse. This show showed (heh) what the pacing should be like. When the production team learned the show will have only one series to run, they had to rush everything and stuff some 3? or 4? series into one.

Result? No fillers, just a damn good show.

I find Buffy or Angel pretty much unwatchable because it's so boring for the most part and the filler episodes are terrible. I call it the 'DS9' syndrome. I guess Firefly would suffer the same fate, after all the last episode or two weren't that good either. It would most likely run out of steam and lose its touch.

Not Dollhouse, that's one damn great 2nd series.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here