Square-Enix Still Isn't Remaking FF7

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

The answer hasn't changed since the last time you asked.

In all of gaming-dom, is there a project more desperately desired and imagined than a current-gen remake of Square-Enix's legendary Final Fantasy VII? Besides a Pokemon MMO, that is. Ever since the JRPG giant pulled the cruelest of bait-and-switches with the infamous 2006 PS3 tech demo, fans have kept on asking for it. And Square-Enix just keeps on saying "Eh, it'd be way too much work."

In a FF7 anniversary feature (the game is 15 years old this year), Japanese game magazine Famitsu spoke with Square-Enix's Tetsuya Nomura, who penned the game's story and designed the characters. Naturally, Famitsu couldn't leave well enough alone, and asked Nomura about the possibility of remaking the iconic JRPG.

While Nomura acknowledged the desire and clamor for a remake, reports Andriasang, he said it wasn't a priority for Square-Enix. Rather, said Nomura, Square-Enix wanted to make new games that it hoped would equal or even surpass the titans of ages past. Nomura said that he considered Final Fantasy XIII producer Yoshinori Kitase to be the true successor to the Final Fantasy line, so remaking it might as well be his call anyway.

In other words, this may be the most polite way Nomura could think of to say "No, we're not remaking it. Please stop asking already."

Nomura did reveal a little bit of trivia about Final Fantasy VII's development, however. Optional party member Yuffie Kisaragi was initially planned to be a wanted criminal instead of just a perkily annoying Materia thief, and the players would see different wanted posters for her all around the grimy metropolis of Midgar. The trick was that each poster would have a different face on it, and when you finally met Yuffie her appearance would change depending on which poster you'd last viewed.

That's just fine with me. I never even took Yuffie in my party anyway.

Source: Andriasang

inb4 FF7 hate. Also, while I love that game, and would love to have a remake, I'd happily settle for non-awful Final Fantasy games in general.

I've never played the game and I would be willing to try it if there was a remake of it. As it isn't going to happen anytime soon I don't see myself giving Square-Enix my money anytime soon.

John Funk:

Nomura did reveal a little bit of trivia about Final Fantasy VII's development, however. Optional party member Yuffie Kisaragi was initially planned to be a wanted criminal instead of just a perkily annoying Materia thief, and the players would see different wanted posters for her all around the grimy metropolis of Midgar. The trick was that each poster would have a different face on it, and when you finally met Yuffie her appearance would change depending on which poster you'd last viewed.

Sounds like a pretty cool idea all things considered. Shame it never made it into the game.

I don't know why people want remakes so much. The game's still available to play and according to a quick wiki it's available for purchase on the PSN. What's stopping you from enjoying some 15 year old retro goodness? Graphics don't make the game guys!

FF7 was the progeniter of the modern JRPG, so if it was released nowadys, it'd just look generic. What about one of the more oldy-timey FF's like 6? Maybe 9, because that was trying to mix retro and modern.

John Funk:

In all of gaming-dom, is there a project more desperately desired and imagined than a current-gen remake of Square-Enix's legendary Final Fantasy VII?

An international release of Mother 3?

...said it wasn't a priority for Square-Enix. Rather, said Nomura, Square-Enix wanted to make new games that it hoped would equal or even surpass the titans of ages past.

And they intend to match the might of sluggers like Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, Super Mario RPG, Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy III/VI by continuously making new, sleep-inducing, bland, uncharismatic FF sequels?

Good luck with that.

In other shocking news of the week, the next Call of Duty is going to have DLC!

Seriously, who seriously thought Squeenix was going to remake FFVII anyway? You only get a permit to be excited when you have proof that its happening.

good -.-

release Seiken Densetsu 3 for everyone, THEN you can waste millions remaking that 'overly popular for no reason' game

John Funk:
Rather, said Nomura, Square-Enix wanted to make new games that it hoped would equal or even surpass the titans of ages past.

Translation: "We're having far too much fun ruining our reputation and pissing off our fans by making crappy games with even crappier direct-sequels. We can't be bothered to take on a project that would be guaranteed to make us boatloads of money."

Q: "Please elaborate. Why are you ruining your company by making such poor decisions as FFXIII-2 when a project like a remade FFVII would almost assuredly be your highest selling game since the original game itself?"

A: "We really just want to focus on making beautiful CGI movies, but we've got this stupid game company thing around our necks. We'll get rid of it soon enough and everyone can be happy."

John Funk:
That's just fine with me. I never even took Yuffie in my party anyway.

Ditto...she was absolutely worthless to me. :P

I'd rather get the remake of FF5 and 6 for the 3DS. And give it bonus dungeons like the GBA games.

Yet they're going to do an HD FF10. It's obvious that they're not going to remake FF7 because of the money and time required to update it. It's the reason why there are so many HD collections from the last gen, all they do is widen the aspect ratio and resell it, which is significantly less work and money than updating a PS1 game. It all reeks of laziness and greed.

What's silly is I think that a FF7 remake would make a lot of money, but they wont do it because of the risks. I would have bought it, FF7 was literally the only FF game I could finish aside from Tactics.

who would ever...

Suicidejim:
inb4 FF7 hate.

meh, ok, going to leave the thread without doing any hate speeches D:

OT: well...dunno why they don't want to satisfy all the money throwing fans, but who am I to argue

Ask them again when the PS4 comes out. :p

Yuffie was the most obnoxious party member I think I have ever had in a JRPG. I wish I could say that I commend Square for saying that they want to look toward the future and make bigger/better games but since I don't really like any of their games post 90's... well, give the people what they want already. If you had a good business sense you'd cash in.

John Funk:

In all of gaming-dom, is there a project more desperately desired and imagined than a current-gen remake of Square-Enix's legendary Final Fantasy VII?

Half-Life 3, easily. Lots of people would like to see a remake of FF7, but they are pretty quiet nowadays. Half-Life 3 on the other hand has people checking any random string of numbers they've conjured from the ether for HL3 clues simply because it the numbers are somehow connected to Valve (not even necessarily HL) over 20 corners.

Seriously, some of the Half-Life Fans are bucking fananas.

I actually liked Yuffie but to each their own I guess. Her, Vincent and Cloud made the best team ever. Anyways I'm really not that fussed about a FF7 remake, it just wouldnt have the samey polygony charm that the original has.

I like to hold the same standards with video games as I do with movies; I'm not very fond of remakes and sequels vs. new and original ideas. So to this news I say "GOOD."

Haven't asked once but I still don't like the new final fantasies. So...guess that means that kind of game would be up my nostalgia hole, but whatevers.

Wake me when they remake/voice act and release 9. I'd play the shit out of that.

Gearhead mk2:
...trying to be retro and modern.

Retro AND modern, huh?

Azuaron:

Gearhead mk2:
...trying to be retro and modern.

Retro AND modern, huh?

Edited my post. I meant it mixed up the job system of the old games with the mechaincs and graphics off 7.

...said it wasn't a priority for Square-Enix. Rather, said Nomura, Square-Enix wanted to make new games that it hoped would equal or even surpass the titans of ages past.

I like to interpret this as: "We can't make a remake because it would show we used to have talent years ago, and we don't want to overshadow the unexciting games we've been pushing out lately. Once we stumble on making a really great game again, then we'll make a remake."

They just need time to work out the online multiplayer first.

Fine, whatever.

Just get the fellows working on Final Fantasy Versus XIII (the guys who still know how to make RPGs fun and engaging... last I checked, anyway) to wrap it up. I have a feeling that THAT Final Fantasy game won't suck royal arse, though I can't attest to the arse-suckage or lack thereof in XIII-2 personally.

Then, they can FINALLY start KH 3.

John Funk:

Nomura said that he considered Final Fantasy XIII producer Yoshinori Kitase to be the true successor to the Final Fantasy line,

I read this part 10 mins ago and I only just stoped laughing.

OT: I liked 7 but I would rather have a 9 remake. I also know that nither of them will ever be remade so I stoped hoping a long time ago. I would just be happy if I could get a FF that was not a crappy sequal about a teenage pop group (FF X-2, through I liked the bonus ending so I forgive it most of the time), a bad rip off of Return of the Jedi (FF 12) or a badly written, confusing cluster fuck of a story with the worst characters in the history of fiction (FF 13, I want Hope to die so badly and Snow is the second biggest Douche ever only just being beat by Tygria from the new Thundercats)

I've never understood this desire for a remake of FFVII. Maybe because I played it when it was new so the dated aspects of it don't really register with me.

Could they even feasibly do it? FFVII was a huge game with a huge world - rendering all of that with the level of detail expected these days would be prohibitively expensive and time consuming surely.

And I liked Yuffie - well, sort of. A bit. Anyway, if you didn't have Yuffie on the team you didn't get the story in her home town, with the Turks, and you can never have too much of the Turks.

I'll just keep hoping, I'd rather that they release a good remake in 20 years than a cash grab in 5 year.

Squenix: "Supply? Demand? lolwhut? How about some FF XIV instead?"

The really sick part is that if some fans up and did it themselves, Squenix would send lawyers to shut them down.

Nicolaus99:

The really sick part is that if some fans up and did it themselves, Squenix would send lawyers to shut them down.

Wouldn't be the first time

Sometimes, when I need a good cry, I just curl up, think of what could have been, and weep.

I like FFVII... but I'd just settle for a good game, or at least for them to make Kingdom Hearts 3... (Though if they are remaking a game, why does it have to be FFX?!)

Innegativeion:

Nicolaus99:

Wouldn't be the first time

Sometimes, when I need a good cry, I just curl up, think of what could have been, and weep.

...Wow... that looks awesome... Fuckin' Square-Enix...

Sixcess:
I've never understood this desire for a remake of FFVII. Maybe because I played it when it was new so the dated aspects of it don't really register with me.

Could they even feasibly do it? FFVII was a huge game with a huge world - rendering all of that with the level of detail expected these days would be prohibitively expensive and time consuming surely.

And I liked Yuffie - well, sort of. A bit. Anyway, if you didn't have Yuffie on the team you didn't get the story in her home town, with the Turks, and you can never have too much of the Turks.

It's because FF7 looks like horrible, horrible shit now, as it was an incredibly early 3D game.

But yeah, I wouldn't be that excited for an FF7 remake. They'd get some jackass to do the voice acting. But it'd still be better than the corn-flecked shit you assholes are squeezing out on us these days. At least back then you didn't have to apologize.

If Squeenix had time machine, the first thing they should do is go back and not release the PS3 tech demo.

I don't really get all the FFXIII-2 hate. It was a far better game than FFXIII, with silly little improvements like exploration added to the game.

As for wanting a FFVII remake? I think that's not just about the graphics or the voice acting. It's also about the fact that the PSX release has a number of rather significant problems. The English translation was full of typos ("off course" instead of "of course", for example), there are some game-breaking bugs (I once ruined a save by parking my sub on land and was unable to continue to the underwater reactor), and the multi-disc thing is a pain even on PSN.

P.S. Thanks

I'll say this again I don't want a remake I want them to finish the story, the cliffhanger at the ed of DoC left me wanting to know what comes next and based on number of fans Tifa needs to start in her own game so SE just make FF VII-2 happen you can do the remake in 2020 for all I care

SQUARE ENIX... I am totally ok with this, actualy.

Can I have Versus XIII yet?

Innegativeion:
Fine, whatever.

Just get the fellows working on Final Fantasy Versus XIII (the guys who still know how to make RPGs fun and engaging... last I checked, anyway) to wrap it up. I have a feeling that THAT Final Fantasy game won't suck royal arse, though I can't attest to the arse-suckage or lack thereof in XIII-2 personally.

Then, they can FINALLY start KH 3.

As someone who experienced the arse-suckage firsthand, XIII-2 sucked arse harder than XIII ever could have. Really. And I didn't MIND XIII all that much. Think about that.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here